PDA

View Full Version : Another JordanCon recruit

RedHope
05-04-2010, 08:23 PM
Hey everyone! As the title suggests, another one from JordanCon here, better known as the one that tried to keep Rhea from puking in that pretty fountain in the lobby :p
Figured I'd pop in and say hi so she can pick on me about something else...

JSUCamel
05-04-2010, 08:45 PM
Hey everyone! As the title suggests, another one from JordanCon here, better known as the one that tried to keep Rhea from puking in that pretty fountain in the lobby :p
Figured I'd pop in and say hi so she can pick on me about something else...

Hey Red! Though if I remember correctly, you're blonde... hmm. Oh well. Glad to have you here :)

Belazamon
05-04-2010, 09:24 PM
Howdy!

Rhea Rhea
05-04-2010, 09:26 PM
It's about time you posted Chris!!

Camel she is blonde you memory is correct.

JSUCamel
05-04-2010, 09:36 PM
It's about time you posted Chris!!

Camel she is blonde you memory is correct.

Damn, I'm good! See, I remember because I didn't drink half of an Olympic-sized pool worth of moonshine. :P

ShadowbaneX
05-04-2010, 10:42 PM
Heya Red, welcome to insanity.

Jokeslayer
05-04-2010, 11:36 PM
Welcome to TL!

Birgitte
05-04-2010, 11:39 PM
Welcome to the Insanity, Red! Try not to take us too seriously. :)

Matoyak
05-05-2010, 12:21 AM
Welcome to the Insanity, Red! Try not to take us too seriously. :)But it's so much more fun if you do! :p

Anyways, Howdy!
Welcome to TL, RedHope. Like the name, any particular story behind it?

Insanity wards down the hall to your right, solitary confinement on the left.
And now for the questions:
Favorite character? Book? (both in the series and out) Favorite scene of the series? Favorite scene of a completely different series? Favorite movie? Are you one of the crazies that likes Will Farrel? Favorite bubblegum flavor? Herbivore, Omnivore, or Carnivore?

Anyways, once again, welcome. I would ask you to join us in the chatroom, but it (as we found out in the other thread) is currently out of commission. Should be up and running...eventually.

*Disclaimer: this was not copied and pasted, this is a completely original post. It just LOOKS copy/paste. Maybe I should have done so, would've been quicker >.>;;;

Nazbaque
05-05-2010, 12:40 AM
*Sets himself on fire*

Welcome Red!!

You may call me Naz!

I shall return in a few posts to helpfully sit on the floor and chat while marshmallows are being roasted, but right now I am a bit busy. The war against daisies is never done.

Sarevok
05-05-2010, 04:28 AM
Welcome... Red!?

Didn't we already have a Red on TL? Haven't seen him in ages, though...

GonzoTheGreat
05-05-2010, 05:08 AM
This Red is apparently Blonde.
Btw, Sare, tonight you can see A Red Hope (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars_Episode_IV:_A_New_Hope) on the television.

irerancincpkc
05-05-2010, 06:58 AM
Welcome to TL! :D

Rhea Rhea
05-05-2010, 07:52 AM
Damn, I'm good! See, I remember because I didn't drink half of an Olympic-sized pool worth of moonshine. :P

:p Just for that I am going to see that next year you do!

RedHope
05-05-2010, 08:09 AM
Thanks all!
Birgitte, no worries, I don't take anything very seriously. It's a major flaw of mine :rolleyes:
Seeing as I already live in the nuthouse, would the insanity ward be an upgrade?
Matoyak, yes, the name has a lot of meaning for me, in short, it stands for my kids, one who inherited my family's red hair, and my youngest who's middle name is Hope. And together they've given me hope, reason, and are what drive me.
Now...
Favorite character? Book? (both in the series and out) In the Series? Tough one.. Would have to be either TDR or TGS.
Outside of the Series, that's even tougher.. Gonna go out of my usual SciFi realm and say "Where We Lived"
Favorite scene of the series? Mat and the Hinderstap situation. LOVE the stories and all!
Favorite scene of a completely different series? Twilight Series, both times we assumed Bella dead. Cause she annoys the crap out of. I know, sucks for me she never died.
Favorite movie? that depends on my mood. Secret Window or Super Troopers ;)
Are you one of the crazies that likes Will Farrel? Oh yes, I am, now let's go streaking!
Favorite bubblegum flavor? Big Red
Herbivore, Omnivore, or Carnivore? Omnivore

Now is it time for roasting marshmallows?

DahLliA
05-05-2010, 08:23 AM
welcome to TL, Red ! :D

Ishara
05-05-2010, 08:24 AM
Hey there! So happy you joined as well RedHope! You gals were so much fun, you'll make great additions to our little gang of freaks. Welcome!

WinespringBrother
05-05-2010, 11:19 AM
welcome!

Birgitte
05-05-2010, 12:27 PM
Thanks all!
Birgitte, no worries, I don't take anything very seriously. It's a major flaw of mine :rolleyes:
Seeing as I already live in the nuthouse, would the insanity ward be an upgrade?
Matoyak, yes, the name has a lot of meaning for me, in short, it stands for my kids, one who inherited my family's red hair, and my youngest who's middle name is Hope. And together they've given me hope, reason, and are what drive me.
Now...
Favorite character? Book? (both in the series and out) In the Series? Tough one.. Would have to be either TDR or TGS.
Outside of the Series, that's even tougher.. Gonna go out of my usual SciFi realm and say "Where We Lived"
Favorite scene of the series? Mat and the Hinderstap situation. LOVE the stories and all!
Favorite scene of a completely different series? Twilight Series, both times we assumed Bella dead. Cause she annoys the crap out of. I know, sucks for me she never died.
Favorite movie? that depends on my mood. Secret Window or Super Troopers ;)
Are you one of the crazies that likes Will Farrel? Oh yes, I am, now let's go streaking!
Favorite bubblegum flavor? Big Red
Herbivore, Omnivore, or Carnivore? Omnivore

Now is it time for roasting marshmallows?

I like her. :D:cool:

RedHope
05-05-2010, 10:41 PM
I like her. :D:cool:

Oh sweet! Someone of my kind, that gets me! I (unfortunately) don't meet to many of our breed. So this is a pleasant surprise! :D I assume you know our secret handshake and all that crazy shit.... :p

Matoyak
05-05-2010, 11:21 PM
I like her. :D:cool:I would, but she happens to like Will Farrel. :(

:p

Birgitte
05-05-2010, 11:49 PM
Oh sweet! Someone of my kind, that gets me! I (unfortunately) don't meet to many of our breed. So this is a pleasant surprise! :D I assume you know our secret handshake and all that crazy shit.... :p

Totally! ~wink, wink, nudge nudge~ :D

I would, but she happens to like Will Farrel. :(

:p

Come on! She wants Bella Swan to die and she loves the Gathering Storm. Totally outweighs the Will Ferrel thing.

ShadowbaneX
05-05-2010, 11:53 PM

That's probably because most of the breed is hiding out here. I mean, I think just about everyone here hates Bella. Most take little seriously (although avoid the religion and politics threads on Non-WoT), and anyone with a quarter-brain likes Mat's characters with elaborate background stories!

I guess we should change the greeting to: "Welcome Home!"

Matoyak
05-05-2010, 11:53 PM
Come on! She wants Bella Swan to die and she loves the Gathering Storm. Totally outways the Will Ferrel thing.Hrm...I will take it under advisement... <insert pondering emote here>

tworiverswoman
05-05-2010, 11:57 PM
Inserted:
http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g7/tworiverswoman/think1.gif

tworiverswoman
05-06-2010, 12:14 AM
Oh - and welcome to TL! :D

I wish *I'd* gone to Jordancon now :( Sounds like a blast. However, your plans for Camel will never come to pass. He's a transplant survivor and "alcohol shalt not pass twixt these lips" and like that.

Anyway -- I categorically refuse to have any truck with Twilight at all, so I can't say if I hate Bella or now ;)

Firseal
05-06-2010, 02:20 AM
Welcome aboard Red! Who is Blond! Or is she? (Sounds like insane theory time!)

Ahem. Anyhow. You know how you didn't meet me at JCon? Strangely, it was because I wasn't there. Yeah, I know. Weird.

Probably a symptom of me being a rather strange computer designed to replace mice running through mazes. Or possibly a wretch afraid to be touched by sunlight or seen by humanity.

One of the two.

Anyhow, welcome to Theoryland. This is a place to discuss Wheel of Time, real life, other series, penguins, the mounting insanity of some of our residents, the Stock Market, the history of Chile, and various other things. If you've already dealt with the sample madness that some of our number exhibited at JCon, you are more or less assured of the same, only more here. I hope ya like it. If not, we have antacids.

So pull up a chair, put up some chickenwire, and stay away from the pantry. Naz gave RS some gelled gasoline and they both disappeared down there and no one really knows what to make of it. Avoid the ESC, embrace the TCA, marvel at the TBA, and buy our big book of acronyms (Only $4.32!). Remember that this is a place to have fun in the company of fellow fans, so do your best to enjoy yourself.

Have a cookie. Settle in.

Matoyak
05-06-2010, 03:43 AM
Inserted:
http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g7/tworiverswoman/think1.gif
You must spread reputation around before giving it again.
:(

RedHope
05-06-2010, 07:25 AM
Most take little seriously (although avoid the religion and politics threads on Non-WoT)
I guess we should change the greeting to: "Welcome Home!"
I always do, on principle. I have a low tolerance level for narrow mindedness, self righteousness, and preaching. And it seems that when it comes to 'certain topics of discussion' it easily brings out the ass in some people when/if you don't agree with them.
And thank you for the welcome! :p

Anyway -- I categorically refuse to have any truck with Twilight at all, so I can't say if I hate Bella or now ;)
I did for so long! It wasn't until last year that I let people convince me to read it. And yano, I liked Bella's Dad! I think the books would've been better if Bella and Edward weren't the main characters. But, I read them, I can honestly say that now, and shout my hatred of Bella from the rooftops! Nightlight was better :p

Ishara
05-06-2010, 07:28 AM

I had to read it to see if it was actually as bad as I had heard - infitely worse, imo. Now going to see the even more terrible films has become a fine tradition of snark amongst me and my closest friends.

Nightlight was better :p
Ha ha! I can't get through it - it's more painful to me than the actual series, Harvard-written notwithstanding.

RedHope
05-06-2010, 08:06 AM
Damn you got better friends, I was told it was awesome! :mad: There's only TWO, who agreed with me that Breaking Dawn isn't even TP worthy. Within the series, Twilight and Eclipse weren't all that horrible to read. Generally speaking though, WTF

I have to admit, I don't actually have Nightlight, but read a detailed sypnopsis of it on one of my book blogs. That at least sounded amusing on such a mocking level. I don't think I'll actually buy it, since I already know what happens.
I watched Twilight and New Moon, probably am gonna watch Eclipse, but Breaking Dawn I'm not sure on yet. The book was painful enough to get through. I'm afraid I might snap and rip the screen to pieces..

DahLliA
05-06-2010, 08:59 AM
I did for so long! It wasn't until last year that I let people convince me to read it. And yano, I liked Bella's Dad! I think the books would've been better if Bella and Edward weren't the main characters. But, I read them, I can honestly say that now, and shout my hatred of Bella from the rooftops! Nightlight was better :p

I actually considered reading twilight just so I could say it was a piece of utter shit from experience. but then I thought "why waste those hours just to find out something I already know".

I mean, sparkling vampires ._.

Ishara
05-06-2010, 09:47 AM
LOL. Exactly. Sparkly, constipated vampires. Awesome.

RedHope
05-06-2010, 10:02 AM
constipated vampires. Awesome.

Oh come on, picturing Edward in a corner, acting like a cat hacking up a hairball...

Nazbaque
05-06-2010, 12:13 PM
So pull up a chair, put up some chickenwire, and stay away from the pantry. Naz gave RS some gelled gasoline and they both disappeared down there and no one really knows what to make of it. Avoid the ESC, embrace the TCA, marvel at the TBA, and buy our big book of acronyms (Only $4.32!). Remember that this is a place to have fun in the company of fellow fans, so do your best to enjoy yourself.
rule number 26: What happens in the pantry, stays in the pantry.

(Curse upon all daisies! You may have won a battle, but the war goes on!)

Rhea Rhea
05-06-2010, 12:34 PM
However, your plans for Camel will never come to pass. He's a transplant survivor and "alcohol shalt not pass twixt these lips" and like that.

Good to know but I couldn't have gone through with it anyways I’m not that mean and I like Camel! :D

Damn you got better friends, I was told it was awesome! :mad: There's only TWO, who agreed with me that Breaking Dawn isn't even TP worthy. Within the series, Twilight and Eclipse weren't all that horrible to read. Generally speaking though, WTF

I have to admit, I don't actually have Nightlight, but read a detailed sypnopsis of it on one of my book blogs. That at least sounded amusing on such a mocking level. I don't think I'll actually buy it, since I already know what happens.
I watched Twilight and New Moon, probably am gonna watch Eclipse, but Breaking Dawn I'm not sure on yet. The book was painful enough to get through. I'm afraid I might snap and rip the screen to pieces..

Hmmm...

JSUCamel
05-06-2010, 01:20 PM
Good to know but I couldn't have gone through with it anyways I’m not that mean and I like Camel! :D

Woot! Next year I'm making "Team Camel" t-shirts for JordanCon.

RedHope
05-06-2010, 01:55 PM
Hmmm...

I love you girl, but I am sticking to it, Breaking Dawn SUCKED!!!! New Moon was boring to read, and Bella is a whiny little bimbo!! Let's not turn this into a Locust - Cicada type argument :p

Zaela Sedai
05-06-2010, 04:41 PM
Consider yourself officially welcomed to Theoryland Red!! (Red...Blonde...whatever... It was very good of you not to let Rhea puke in a pretty fountain)As I'm sure you've noticed, we have a pretty decent community of WoT fanatics over here. One of the ways that we keep it all friendly is a short list of courtesies we ask people to follow and, once in a while, actually do get followed. Imagine that! Insane people following some sort of order!

1) Don't flood the board with multiple THREADS all at once.
Allow us the time to absorb, evaluate, and discuss, OR LAUGH at one or two ideas, OR JOKES at a time. Some of us like to do a little research before responding and that can take a little time. Of course, we also have those others who are just a bit slow. Read that as "just can't handle more than one thought in their heads at once" or "dial-up modem". Your choice. I'd suggest "have a real life", but not likely. Does anyone still have dial up? Wow...it's getting hard to give the slow people an excuse

Addendum to 1) Try to stay on topic.
Going off on tangents can be super fun and is something we are all guilty of your's truly included but try and keep threads on topic unless, 1) the thread is dead or 2) the thread naturally moves over to another topic. This rule is much more lax for joke threads, pop culture threads...etc.

2) Try to back up your opinions & theories.
You'll get a lot more respect if you can. Quotes from the books (of which you CANNOT read too much) are your best weapon. Quotes from interviews are semi-acceptable. Gut feelings are pseudo-acceptable. Whitecloak blind-faith is best submitted while wearing asbestos panties.

3) Feel free to get as emotionally involved as you'd like.
Discussions can get very heated. But try not to take things personally. Remember: we only insult the ones we love. Or the ones we eventually hand over to the Trollocs.

4) Be respectful.
A lot of people have been around Theoryland for a long time. Being a Youngling means you're new around here. We do understand that you may have been reading WoT forever, but if you're gonna pick a fight regarding a WoT theory with someone who's an Elder, Ancient or Hero, understand that they've been around for a while now, and probably have posting friends. And Tamyrlin is Lord of the Board for a reason: this whole place is his brainchild. Keep that in mind. They also have posting enemies.... a good little bit of information to tuck away.

Addendum to 4: This is an international community.
In regards to the Non-WoT discussion groups, please respect the opinions of people from nations and cultures other than your own, even if you disagree with them or the policies of their leaders and politicians. Try to remember that not everyone here has the same outlook or life experience that you might. If you want to send a letter or e-mail to anyone in particular to indicate any specific moral, educational, intellectual, or genetic deficiencies they may have, feel free. Just please don't do it here.

Addendum 1 to Addendum 4: We don't all agree about the issues regarding the military action in Iraq. Post about this issue at your own risk. Things seem to be under control now. Though, there have been some flare-ups….be careful. We have had our own TLers over there, back home safe and sound, hope it stays that way. (I can't wait to be able to delete this Addendum.)

Addendum 2 to Addendum 4: Please no angry profanity.
If you really need to tell someone off, be creative. And replacing characters with @$$ does NOT constitute creativity. I like tend to like the Shakespearean approach myself. The smarter and more subtle you are with it, just makes the person look that much more an idiot.

Addendum 3 to Addendum 4: Please be nice to Newbies.
We were all new at one time you are one right now and there is no need to come down on anyone for asking questions that to the elder community may be basic knowledge. This is for you to remember after you've been here awhile.

Addendum 4 to Addendum 4: Please TRY not to feed the Trolls.
Trust me, it ain't easy at times, but ignore the obvious instigators. Just sit yourself down between the Heroes and Ancients sharpening the WTF Couch sticks. There are many on the board who know how to deal with this breed, leave them to it. It can be quite entertaining. If things get too offensive to the population in general, Mods will intervene. Feel free, however, to respond to Gonzo, our Resident Troll, we love him like a red-headed step child.

5) Please don't use the New Users Forum to recruit.
We have plenty of room in the other forums for begging for support for factions, theories, and the TCA. Please let the newbies look around for a while before taking sides in any pseudo-battles. ~looks around~ our biggest offender has not been around for a while ~sniff~

6) Most important: Have Fun!
We do this because we love it and like to think that we are, at least, reasonably intelligent. Hell, some of us have deluded ourselves into believing that we've evolved into supremely intelligent beings! Half the posters here believe that divine supremacy has already come to them! My vote is for Frenzy, and myself, of course. You know the Truth when you see it. Don't let T and her massive bag o' quotes fool you. We will assume some intelligence on your part. You found us, didn't you? Until you prove otherwise…and there are many who have, you'll be safe. If you get hurt if you do prove otherwise, I will offer my one free Healing…but just that once. After that you get to meet a special pair of chains, Mwahahahaa

Remember, you EARN your respect here, it's not given out freely and some may never know the pleasure.

Welcome to our little rounded corner! It’s a great time!

Enjoy!

Zaela Sedai, Official Theoryland Greeter, Mistress of Novices

RogueSavior
05-06-2010, 06:43 PM
Hold on, hold on, hold on. How did I get involved in the lubed up pantry scenario?

After all, I'm pretty certain I destroyed all of the evidence. Just like when I killed what's his name.

Nazbaque
05-07-2010, 12:47 AM
Hold on, hold on, hold on. How did I get involved in the lubed up pantry scenario?

After all, I'm pretty certain I destroyed all of the evidence. Just like when I killed what's his name.
You did, but you know how rumors start when Firseal's tongue is loosened with chocolate.

yks 6nnetu hing
05-07-2010, 07:21 AM
Totally outways ... I'm sorry, that's not a word. Unless it's a new sort of outback or something to do with the Ways.

Anyhow, welcome to Theoryland. This is a place to discuss Wheel of Time, real life, other series, penguins, the mounting insanity of some of our residents, the Stock Market, the history of Chile, and various other things. If you've already dealt with the sample madness that some of our number exhibited at JCon, you are more or less assured of the same, only more here. I hope ya like it. If not, we have antacids.

you kow, I had the weirdest dream last night. I was being interrogated by Jagoda and Chruschev back when they were both on the topside of NKVD. Man, was I scared. But then Stalin got wind of it and thought they were double-crossing him and so he barged in with cameras rolling to catch them in action. Only to find the room empty. In the dream though, I knew I was hiding behind the curtain and someone was under the couch, and more than one somone's in the closet. And then I woke up, gasping for breath and thinking "it's not 1930, it's not 1930"

I think I'm forgetting somethign....

oh! yes, Welcome Red!

Isabel
05-07-2010, 08:30 AM
you kow, I had the weirdest dream last night. I was being interrogated by Jagoda and Chruschev back when they were both on the topside of NKVD. Man, was I scared. But then Stalin got wind of it and thought they were double-crossing him and so he barged in with cameras rolling to catch them in action. Only to find the room empty. In the dream though, I knew I was hiding behind the curtain and someone was under the couch, and more than one somone's in the closet. And then I woke up, gasping for breath and thinking "it's not 1930, it's not 1930"

Ugh, not a good dream. However, pretty weird you dream about Stalin and not one of the later presidents :p

GonzoTheGreat
05-07-2010, 08:53 AM
Ugh, not a good dream. However, pretty weird you dream about Stalin and not one of the later presidents :pBrezhnev? Compared to Stalin, he wasn't all that scary, was he?

Isabel
05-07-2010, 11:33 AM
True Stalin was crazy, but he died in the 1950's, so long before our time ;)

Birgitte
05-07-2010, 05:02 PM
I'm sorry, that's not a word. Unless it's a new sort of outback or something to do with the Ways.

Stupid homonyms. Outweighs* Which is a word. I promise. Besides, Mato knew what I meant!

Nazbaque
05-07-2010, 06:31 PM
Homophone, I think. A homonym is a word with multiple meanings. A homophone is a word that is pronounced the same way as another word but spelled (or is that spelt?) in a different way.

Ishara
05-07-2010, 07:52 PM
Ugh, not a good dream. However, pretty weird you dream about Stalin and not one of the later presidents :p

God! What have you been reading?!

ShadowbaneX
05-07-2010, 10:50 PM
True Stalin was crazy, but he died in the 1950's, so long before our time ;)
Stalin wasn't crazy he was a sociopath dictator. Mao was crazy. Mao wanted to start nuclear war, Stalin said no.

Isabel
05-08-2010, 12:35 AM
I know he was a sociopath dictator ;)

ShadowbaneX
05-08-2010, 10:55 PM
true, but if you think Stalin was bad, go look at Mao. He almost manages to make Stalin look like an ok guy.

tworiverswoman
05-08-2010, 11:21 PM
http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g7/tworiverswoman/Misc%20Funnies/hijack-1.jpg

Man, we're good.

Zaela Sedai
05-09-2010, 07:12 AM
Whas just thinking the same thing Tru LOL

GonzoTheGreat
05-09-2010, 07:51 AM
Ugh, not a good dream. However, pretty weird you dream about Stalin and not one of the later presidents :pActually, I was mistaken in my earlier reply to this. As, probably, Isabel was in raising the issue in the first place.
Rather to my surprise, I've just learned there has only been one single president of the Soviet Union, ever (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/President_of_the_Soviet_Union).

PS Tru, Zae, stop hijacking our hijack. Or fly it to Cuba, if you want to play "conservative hijacker".

Nazbaque
05-09-2010, 10:22 AM
Would you people please take your hijacks somewhere else? B and I were having a discussion of great importance.

Birgitte
05-09-2010, 07:49 PM
Homophone, I think. A homonym is a word with multiple meanings. A homophone is a word that is pronounced the same way as another word but spelled (or is that spelt?) in a different way.

Yeah, you're right. I googled it. Homophone was the word I was looking for. In my defense, finals are frying my brain. I think I can hear it sizzle.

Would you people please take your hijacks somewhere else? B and I were having a discussion of great importance.

Yeah. Geez. Some people... ;)

yks 6nnetu hing
05-10-2010, 01:41 AM
God! What have you been reading?!

On a simultaneous re-read of Gabaldon and Auel. Other than that, it's the beginning of May - WW II commemoration services all over the place, lots of talk about the military parade in Moscow etc. Plus, Jagov sounds like Jagoda. and Jagoda was SCARY. Stalin very rarely got his own hands dirty, Jagoda, Beria or (later) Chruschev usually did it for him.

Ishara
05-10-2010, 07:58 AM
Have you read the latest Gabaldon? It was AWESOME! Totally reinvigorate dmy love for the series.

The last Auel book felt like a record skipping. If I had to read a nother peiece of that stupid song/ chant one more time...I just felt like the story didn't move forward as much as it could have, and that she took up at least 50 pages of type-space with that bloody chant. Boring.

And when I took European history, Chruschev gave me nightmares too...*shudder*

yks 6nnetu hing
05-10-2010, 09:55 AM
Have you read the latest Gabaldon? It was AWESOME! Totally reinvigorate dmy love for the series.

The last Auel book felt like a record skipping. If I had to read a nother peiece of that stupid song/ chant one more time...I just felt like the story didn't move forward as much as it could have, and that she took up at least 50 pages of type-space with that bloody chant. Boring.

And when I took European history, Chruschev gave me nightmares too...*shudder*

I did, and it was. the end was probably the biggest triple-cliffhanger ever. Gabaldon's stories might sometimes take turns that you as a reader might not like but they're never boring.

I have to agree about the Auel books. Really, of those the 2nd is my favourite. With the Auel books I get tired of the descriptions... It feels a bit like she's just copy-pasting bits of earlier books into the new one. Gabaldon also has lots of descriptions but with those I never feel like "wait, I've read this before. four times."

Chruschev... a lot of people underestimated him. They though he was stupid because he was uneducated. *shudder*

Ishara
05-10-2010, 11:17 AM
I read Valley of the Horses for the first time when I was 11 - it probably made me a bit more sexually aware than I should have been, in hindsight.

I'm not sure what I'd prefer...a highly educated, super intelligent dictator with violent tendancies or an uneducated, unintelligent, but powerful dictator with violent tendancies.

I'm going to go with neither.

Leanne
05-10-2010, 03:53 PM
On a simultaneous re-read of Gabaldon and Auel. Other than that, it's the beginning of May - WW II commemoration services all over the place, lots of talk about the military parade in Moscow etc. Plus, Jagov sounds like Jagoda. and Jagoda was SCARY. Stalin very rarely got his own hands dirty, Jagoda, Beria or (later) Chruschev usually did it for him.

I was just having a discussion about Auel the other night with a friend that is very into evolution and I was trying to get her into reading the books. She refuses to read anything but graphic novels. I did get her to watch the movie and she was fascinated. Has anyone watched "The Clan of the Cave Bear" movie?

Leanne
05-10-2010, 03:56 PM
Welcome to TL!!!!

I was at JordanCon as well and distinctly remember being told you were going to come play "Are You a Darkfriend" but you never showed up. :p That's ok, we had fun without you. It was nice meeting you, hopefully I will see you again next year!

Ishara
05-10-2010, 05:21 PM
Dude, there's a MOVIE? I'm not sure how I feel about that actually. It was graphic enough in my mind...

JSUCamel
05-10-2010, 05:36 PM
I was just having a discussion about Auel the other night with a friend that is very into evolution and I was trying to get her into reading the books. She refuses to read anything but graphic novels. I did get her to watch the movie and she was fascinated. Has anyone watched "The Clan of the Cave Bear" movie?

Yeah, I saw it in 6th grade in my science class. Haven't seen it since, though I own the DVD now. I wonder if they censored it for my class or not. Having read the books, I'm sure they did.

Dude, there's a MOVIE? I'm not sure how I feel about that actually. It was graphic enough in my mind...

Daryl Hannah played Ayla.

For the record, I love that series, though I have a few nitpicks. First, it starts to get repetitive after the second book. And second, Ayla apparently invented every single thing known to mankind, including grilled cheese sandwiches and domesticated animals, except for the internet (that was Al Gore).

Leanne
05-10-2010, 09:19 PM
Yes, I am sure it was edited for your class. At least one scene that sticks out in particular. It does go along very well with the book, though of course a lot is left out. It does get very repetitive. Though, I think most books do when they take so long to come out between books. The author must feel the need to explain everything again. I read them all at once, so it was very noticeable. Even if I didn't, like most series, I would re-read when a new book came out. That is one thing I think a lot of authors do too much, but I am not a writer, so maybe it is something that is expected??? I know it has to be done to a point, but definitely overdone in this case.

yks 6nnetu hing
05-11-2010, 01:56 AM
I read Valley of the Horses for the first time when I was 11 - it probably made me a bit more sexually aware than I should have been, in hindsight.

I'm not sure what I'd prefer...a highly educated, super intelligent dictator with violent tendancies or an uneducated, unintelligent, but powerful dictator with violent tendancies.

I'm going to go with neither.

*snicker* I was a bit older - 13-14 or so, maybe. But yeah, quite graphic for that age.

Not unintelligent at all. He was very intelligent, if almost illiterate. I think it was Chruschev who notoriously wanted to arrange everything either in face-to-face meetings or via the phone because he had problems reading. And he was paranoid about writing things down.

yes. But it was ages ago so I don't remember much. I do remember being rather impressed though :)

For the record, I love that series, though I have a few nitpicks. First, it starts to get repetitive after the second book. And second, Ayla apparently invented every single thing known to mankind, including grilled cheese sandwiches and domesticated animals, except for the internet (that was Al Gore).

hehe, true...

GonzoTheGreat
05-11-2010, 02:59 AM
For the record, I love that series, though I have a few nitpicks. First, it starts to get repetitive after the second book. And second, Ayla apparently invented every single thing known to mankind, including grilled cheese sandwiches and domesticated animals, except for the internet (that was Al Gore).She didn't invent pottery either. (Neither did Al Gore, surprisingly.)

And if you think about it, then she even wasn't first with animal domestication. For now at least, I'll let you lot figure out which example* predates her.

* Or examples. I may have overlooked one or more while doing this off the top of my head too.

Ishara
05-11-2010, 07:03 AM
Am confused, Gonzo.

And Ayla didn't invent grilled cheese sandwiches, she just perfected them. ;) Besides, I will fully admit to re-reading Valley of the Horses to try and figure out the mechanics of making grilled cheese sandwiches prior to actually making them myself. I found Auel to be very educational that way. LOL