PDA

View Full Version : Finally Read Warbreaker...

Davian93
05-06-2010, 12:16 AM
...and I'm a bit depressed that its a standalone novel. BS really could have made it into a great trilogy if he had wanted to. I hope he follows through on his comments to return to that universe with a follow-up book. There's a lot of potential there and I dont think he did it justice with only 588 pages.

Good read.

Birgitte
05-07-2010, 04:27 PM
Agreed. I bought it at JordanCon. It was pretty awesome.

Zaela Sedai
05-13-2010, 12:36 PM
Yeah I loved it. Can't wait for Way of Kings to come out :)

Leanne
05-13-2010, 01:21 PM
I have enjoyed Brandon's books and also cannot wait for Way of Kings...I hope it holds up to my expectations!

Has anyone read the Alcatraz books? I finally bought one last year at the signing, since they are near impossible to find, for my son. Of course, I read them and he has yet to finish one but he claims to like them. They were a lot of fun to read though, had me laughing. If you want to read something light and fun, I suggest doing so.

Birgitte
05-13-2010, 02:32 PM
I read the first Alcatraz book, too. It was very fun. :D I mailed it to my mom for my little brothers to read.

creepybob
05-14-2010, 11:57 PM
Agreed. I bought it at JordanCon. It was pretty awesome.

The stand alone concept is part of his "post-modern" fantasy author persona. We're the hardcore, if-it-is-under-a-million-words-it-is-not-worth-reading crowd, he's trying to get the general fiction audiences interested.

I think it's a good idea, though I don't think he'll stick with it. He swore Elantris would be stand alone as well, but he hints from time to time about picking it up again.

Yeah I loved it. Can't wait for Way of Kings to come out

I'm looking forward to it as well, though he's not gonna finish it 'till 2024 and that's another long haul for a full arc. :D

Zaela Sedai
05-15-2010, 05:18 PM
Lol what makes you say that Creeps... its *supposed* to be 5 books LOL

Leanne
05-17-2010, 08:13 AM
I thought Way of Kings was going to be 10 books? Also, he is planning to release other books in between, even after he is done with WoT.

WinespringBrother
05-17-2010, 08:29 AM
Aye, he does have other books planned also. He mentioned a story about magic that spreads through infection, or something like that. And Stormlight Archive has always been planned for 10 books, or at least since I first heard of it on the Hero of Ages book tour.

Matoyak
05-17-2010, 09:14 AM
On his forums he lists it as 10-12 books (doesn't want to claim an exact number, apparently), with other books being released in between, with possibilities of a centuries-later sequel trilogy to Mistborn, a possible sequel to Elantris, and a couple other book ideas as well. All of which are supposed to fit into his overarching mythos of them all playing out in the same universe (sort-of. The alkatraz books do not count for all being in the same universe)

EDIT: Oh, and I too bought Warbreaker. Have yet to read it, wanting to read The Colour of Magic by Pratchett first (my first Pratchett book, liking it well enough so far).

Birgitte
05-17-2010, 11:24 AM
Have yet to read it, wanting to read The Colour of Magic by Pratchett first (my first Pratchett book, liking it well enough so far).

Even if you don't love it, stick with them, Mato. His style changes as he gets older. :D

Zaela Sedai
05-17-2010, 08:49 PM
one of his blog posts said at least 5 books, but yes he has mentioned series in Mistborn a couple hundred years later and that Elantris was originally going to be a trilogy.

Ishara
05-25-2010, 07:34 AM
He definitely said 10 at the Con, and that he wouldn't be writing them one after the other. I may start them when he's all done. Cannot even begin to se emyself getting invested in another long series wait. ;)

Matoyak
05-27-2010, 05:08 AM
Cannot even begin to se emyself getting invested in another long series wait. ;)I can. And will. :rolleyes::p

I mean, I've currently got 6 or 7 still-being-written series I'm waiting on...couldn't possibly hurt to add another to the list. ;)