PDA

View Full Version : I've been awake for 27 hours.

reTaardad
05-06-2010, 11:58 AM
When did my hand become a lobster's claw? AND WHY THE HELL ARE BLUE BLOBS ATTACKING MY EYEBALLS?? :confused:

I need some sleep.

Ivhon
05-06-2010, 12:08 PM
You're hallucinating after only 27 hours?

Man up, boy!!

I'm an old man and I pull 27 hours regularly. End of the semester I pull 2 or 3 alnighters in a week and get 4-6 hours on the other nights.

You get no sympathy from me. NONE.

Just kidding...good luck with exams and papers.

Verin Mathwin
05-06-2010, 01:38 PM
I am in my last week of classes for the year. I have gotten six hours of sleep in the past 80+ hours. I am very much looking forward to sleeping.

Ivhon
05-06-2010, 01:50 PM
I am in my last week of classes for the year. I have gotten six hours of sleep in the past 80+ hours. I am very much looking forward to sleeping.

This I respect! :D:D:D:D

Matoyak
05-06-2010, 02:09 PM
My body starts shutting down around the 30-32 hr mark. I literally cannot function without sleep beyond that. Not by choice, mind you. It's really fun to try to get me to be able to do ANYTHING at that point...I've tried reading and have taken 15 minutes to get one paragraph in, and realize I've forgotten EVERYTHING as soon as I read it. And around the 35 hr mark my speech becomes worthless, and I cannot even form sentences that make a lick of sense.
All that said, I have never hallucinated due to lack of sleep...though I have literally passed out where I was sitting. (Not a black out, it was a "white out". Not. Fun.)

Ivhon
05-06-2010, 02:13 PM
My body starts shutting down around the 30-32 hr mark. I literally cannot function without sleep beyond that. Not by choice, mind you. It's really fun to try to get me to be able to do ANYTHING at that point...I've tried reading and have taken 15 minutes to get one paragraph in, and realize I've forgotten EVERYTHING as soon as I read it. And around the 35 hr mark my speech becomes worthless, and I cannot even form sentences that make a lick of sense.
All that said, I have never hallucinated due to lack of sleep...though I have literally passed out where I was sitting. (Not a black out, it was a "white out". Not. Fun.)

I hallucinated for a while at the end of a ~72 hour work marathon shortly after college. Not fun.

Crispin's Crispian
05-06-2010, 02:31 PM
I never stayed up very late during finals weeks, and was always confused by people who did. I think I do my best work in the early morning.

I mean, except leisure work, which is clearly better at night.

fdsaf3
05-06-2010, 02:42 PM
I never stayed up very late during finals weeks, and was always confused by people who did. I think I do my best work in the early morning.

Pretty much this. A few times I would alter my sleep schedule to sleep for a few hours, do a few hours of homework from 3-5 in the morning, then go back to sleep, but I never did pulled an all nighter, I never went for prolonged periods of time without sleep, and I never really stressed that much about finals. Maybe I'm just too calm and/or too good at ignoring the stresses of my life.

JSUCamel
05-06-2010, 02:51 PM

I always figured that if I didn't know the material by the time finals rolled around, then I wasn't gonna know it in the next 10 hours. So I studied for an hour or two to refresh my memory on the things I did know, and then I'd hit the sack, wake up in the morning and (most times) ace the test.

Pulling all-nighters studying is for chumps.

Ivhon
05-06-2010, 02:59 PM
I always figured that if I didn't know the material by the time finals rolled around, then I wasn't gonna know it in the next 10 hours. So I studied for an hour or two to refresh my memory on the things I did know, and then I'd hit the sack, wake up in the morning and (most times) ace the test.

Pulling all-nighters studying is for chumps.

For me, academic all-nighters are far more about getting papers written in time than studying for exams. Exams are nothing. Papers....I don't like writing them.

JSUCamel
05-06-2010, 03:24 PM
For me, academic all-nighters are far more about getting papers written in time than studying for exams. Exams are nothing. Papers....I don't like writing them.

I never really had that problem either. I started writing the papers when they were assigned, not the night before they were due. I had a 40 page paper for one of my grad classes, and I had 6 weeks to write it. I researched and wrote it in two weeks, with no extra work outside of my normal studying hours, and had the next four weeks to not even worry about it.

I've never been assigned a substantial paper that's due soon enough that I have to pull an all-nighter to finish it. There's always ample time. Guess it's about priorities.

All-nighters are for chumps.

Ivhon
05-06-2010, 03:57 PM
I never really had that problem either. I started writing the papers when they were assigned, not the night before they were due. I had a 40 page paper for one of my grad classes, and I had 6 weeks to write it. I researched and wrote it in two weeks, with no extra work outside of my normal studying hours, and had the next four weeks to not even worry about it.

I've never been assigned a substantial paper that's due soon enough that I have to pull an all-nighter to finish it. There's always ample time. Guess it's about priorities.

Meh. You are one of those delayed-gratification, methodical, make a plan and stick to it types, aren't you?

Me, Im more of a fly by the seat of my pants, live fast and die young take each moment as it comes kinda guy. Which has the unfortunate side-effect of typically leaving me 48 hours to research and write 20 pages.

Sei'taer
05-06-2010, 04:08 PM
Meh. You are one of those delayed-gratification, methodical, make a plan and stick to it types, aren't you?

Me, Im more of a fly by the seat of my pants, live fast and die young take each moment as it comes kinda guy. Which has the unfortunate side-effect of typically leaving me 48 hours to research and write 20 pages.

This. I hate people who can get stuff done way before the deadline.

Procrastination is for chu...uh for people who live life like there's no tomorrow.

JSUCamel
05-06-2010, 04:33 PM

Not really, but I realized a long time ago that getting it done sooner lets me be a fly by the seat of my pants, live fast and die young, take each moment as it comes kinda guy without the unfortunate side-effect of typically leaving me 48 hours to research and write 20 pages at the last minute ;)

For me it's all about minimizing stress. Don't get me wrong -- I procrastinate about a lot of things. But generally those things are things that it doesn't really matter if I get it done tomorrow or today. For instance... generally speaking, nothing terrible will happen if I wait another day to do my laundry. It just means I have more laundry to do. Of course, when I run out of clean laundry, then we might have a problem, but even then... I could just buy new clothes.. ;)

Crispin's Crispian
05-06-2010, 07:00 PM
And don't get me wrong--I was up writing papers at 5 a.m. before they were due on many a morning. My problem is that...round about midnight or 1 a.m. I'd start to lose focus and not be able to remember my ideas, thought trains, etc. At that point, it was better to just pack it in for the night because I was no longer productive.

This. I hate people who can get stuff done way before the deadline.

Procrastination is for chu...uh for people who live life like there's no tomorrow.
Oh yeah? Well when I get around to replying to this, you'll be sorry.

Ivhon
05-06-2010, 09:14 PM
And don't get me wrong--I was up writing papers at 5 a.m. before they were due on many a morning. My problem is that...round about midnight or 1 a.m. I'd start to lose focus and not be able to remember my ideas, thought trains, etc. At that point, it was better to just pack it in for the night because I was no longer productive.

Oh yeah? Well when I get around to replying to this, you'll be sorry.

Again. If you appreciated REAL coffee, this would not be a problem.

fdsaf3
05-06-2010, 09:36 PM
I mentioned it before in this thread, but when I was in college we had an interim month-long course between semesters. My junior year, I took an advanced course in mathematics that technically I had all the prerequisites for, but in actuality was way under prepared for. I got into a really weird sleep schedule where I'd do homework until about 11, sleep until about 3, then do homework from about 3 to 5 or 6, then go back to sleep. For some reason, my brain was way better at Diophantine equations at weird hours of the night.

Bottom line: listen to your body, and adjust accordingly. You might be surprised how much better you function doing something like I did versus staying up all night.

Firseal
05-06-2010, 10:08 PM
If you are hallucinating at only a day and change, you really stink at this. You need to hold off on that until you hit at least double the hours.

I hereby command.

yks 6nnetu hing
05-07-2010, 06:26 AM

This.

And this.

The older I get, the more of a morning person I'm becoming (just like my mom. Scary, that). I discovered early on in Uni that any brain activity for me was best just after waking up, peaking at about 6 hours after wakefulness, followed by a rather deep slump on the early afternoon and a small rise again in the evening. Hence, any important stuff I do in the morning. So, paper research could easily be done in the evening, but the best writing or exam-cramming time was in the morning.

Also, I tend to be paranoid about missing deadlines and being late for appointments. I always make sure I have plenty of time to finish everything on time, although I'll probably procrastinate as long as possible before starting.

Sarevok
05-07-2010, 09:14 AM
The older I get, the more of a morning person I'm becoming (just like my mom. Scary, that). I discovered early on in Uni that any brain activity for me was best just after waking up, peaking at about 6 hours after wakefulness, followed by a rather deep slump on the early afternoon and a small rise again in the evening. Hence, any important stuff I do in the morning. So, paper research could easily be done in the evening, but the best writing or exam-cramming time was in the morning.

Also, I tend to be paranoid about missing deadlines and being late for appointments. I always make sure I have plenty of time to finish everything on time, although I'll probably procrastinate as long as possible before starting.
I'm with you as far as thinking clearest in the morning. This, however, does not appear to conflict with the urge to sleep in for as long as possible... Wich still means I have to do a lot of things in the evenining. :(

Basel Gill
05-07-2010, 09:29 AM
Camel, you studied? At JSU? I thought our alma mater's alternate name was Just Show Up? You must have taken hard classes on purpose, you masochist. :D

JSUCamel
05-07-2010, 09:43 AM
Camel, you studied? At JSU? I thought our alma mater's alternate name was Just Show Up? You must have taken hard classes on purpose, you masochist. :D

You caught me. I'm a masochist at heart.

http://jsucamel.dreamhosters.com/moar_essays.jpg

Crispin's Crispian
05-10-2010, 12:18 PM
I mentioned it before in this thread, but when I was in college we had an interim month-long course between semesters. My junior year, I took an advanced course in mathematics that technically I had all the prerequisites for, but in actuality was way under prepared for. I got into a really weird sleep schedule where I'd do homework until about 11, sleep until about 3, then do homework from about 3 to 5 or 6, then go back to sleep. For some reason, my brain was way better at Diophantine equations at weird hours of the night.Aaah God. You reminded me of a class I took with my girlfriend during "Winter 3" which was the between-semester three week crash course they offered for additional credit.

It was Spanish Short Stories, which would be a great class for a whole semester, but cramming dozens of short stories in highly literate spanish into three weeks... That was bad. There might have been some near all-nighters then. But then, when you're taking it with your girlfriend with whom you live, all-nighters aren't so bad. :o

Sei'taer
05-10-2010, 04:23 PM
Aaah God. You reminded me of a class I took with my girlfriend during "Winter 3" which was the between-semester three week crash course they offered for additional credit.

It was Spanish Short Stories, which would be a great class for a whole semester, but cramming dozens of short stories in highly literate spanish into three weeks... That was bad. There might have been some near all-nighters then. But then, when you're taking it with your girlfriend with whom you live, all-nighters aren't so bad. :o

Same thing for me...I took a couple of survival courses and a jazz history course. That was actually my favorite part of the year because I only had one class to worry about.

ETA: survival courses were badass....