PDA

View Full Version : It could always be worse...

Ivhon
05-10-2010, 03:25 PM
I keep reminding myself that the fact that I have a non-functional 36" range hood that extends 6" beyond my 30" range thereby preventing me from installing the refrigerator I was forced to buy after my old one conked out on Friday thereby keeping me from being able to go grocery shopping for at least another day is a trivial concern compared to the millions of people who do not have the ability to get a new refrigerator or the millions more who have to worry about getting a meal at all, much less grocery shopping.

But boy is it hard.

Sarevok
05-10-2010, 03:31 PM
Google tells me that a "36" range" is probably a stove... but your post still makes no sense... :(

Ivhon
05-10-2010, 03:42 PM
Google tells me that a "36" range" is probably a stove... but your post still makes no sense... :(

Yeah...range = stove. Problem is that the range is 30" wide. The space between the range and the counter is 34" wide. The refrigerator is 30" wide. However, the space between the range HOOD and the cabinet is 28".

Meaning Im fizzucked.

And the damn thing (range hood) doesn't even work, anyways.

Ozymandias
05-10-2010, 03:44 PM
I keep reminding myself that the fact that I have a non-functional 36" range hood that extends 6" beyond my 30" range thereby preventing me from installing the refrigerator I was forced to buy after my old one conked out on Friday thereby keeping me from being able to go grocery shopping for at least another day is a trivial concern compared to the millions of people who do not have the ability to get a new refrigerator or the millions more who have to worry about getting a meal at all, much less grocery shopping.

But boy is it hard.

It not only makes no sense, its just plain stupid.

The misfortune of others should be no consolation to a hardship you suffer. What a terrible way to mask your own unhappiness. They have no hold over you nor your sympathies, nor should they. By the same token, you should be upset that you don't have as much as someone with more.

Save your sympathy for yourself; I'm sure they're not wasting theirs on you.

Sei'taer
05-10-2010, 03:44 PM

The vent hood over the top of the stove that takes the steam (and probably smoke when Ivhon cooks) out of the house. Apparently, the hood is 36 inches wide, when Ivhon needed it to be only 30 inches wide so his new refrigerator would fit nicely next to the stove where it is supposed to be.

Ivhon, a new hood should be easy to find, relatively inexpensive and not hard to install at all, depending on how it is mounted to the wall. Usually there is a screw or three. Some just slide down into a track and click in place. Might even look at a scratch and dent store, usually the prices are even better there and if you're like me then a minor scratch or a ding in the side is no big deal.

Crispin's Crispian
05-10-2010, 05:04 PM
The vent hood over the top of the stove that takes the steam (and probably smoke when Ivhon cooks) out of the house. Apparently, the hood is 36 inches wide, when Ivhon needed it to be only 30 inches wide so his new refrigerator would fit nicely next to the stove where it is supposed to be.

Ivhon, a new hood should be easy to find, relatively inexpensive and not hard to install at all, depending on how it is mounted to the wall. Usually there is a screw or three. Some just slide down into a track and click in place. Might even look at a scratch and dent store, usually the prices are even better there and if you're like me then a minor scratch or a ding in the side is no big deal.
I've installed two over-the-range microwaves with external venting, so a hood shouldn't be too hard. I'm handy, but I'm no Bob Vila.

And just a regular hood shouldn't be too expensive, either. You might try a local Habitat Re-Store, if you have one, or something similar.

ETA: I feel your pain. I've done a lot of work on houses where measurements just don't make sense. I just got angry thinking about that stupid vanity I had to replace. The damn thing wouldn't fit in either of our cars, so I had to rent a truck. Then I got it home, and it didn't fit exactly right because of the way the thing was plumbed and had to be attached to the wall. I hate plumbing, BTW. And electrical, too.

Ivhon
05-10-2010, 05:27 PM
@ Ozy - yeah, I know. Standard therapy. Everybody's problems are problems for them. SOMETIMES taking a step back to look at it in perspective helps. Not this time though.

@ ST - problem is that the current hood has not worked since I got the house. I dunno if it's the hood, the junction box, the main or what. I have no testing stuff an am waaaay to big to fit in my tiny attic. Got a new hood. Payin a guy to do the work

Ishara
05-10-2010, 05:30 PM
It not only makes no sense, its just plain stupid.

The misfortune of others should be no consolation to a hardship you suffer. What a terrible way to mask your own unhappiness. They have no hold over you nor your sympathies, nor should they. By the same token, you should be upset that you don't have as much as someone with more.

Save your sympathy for yourself; I'm sure they're not wasting theirs on you.

This made me laugh. A lot. Thanks. :)

And Ivhon - congrats on the new fridge and hood! :D

Frenzy
05-10-2010, 11:52 PM
Did Ivhon say he had 6 inches too much range?

GonzoTheGreat
05-11-2010, 03:32 AM
Matthew|5:30ii And if thy range hood offend thee, cut it off, and cast it from thee: for it is profitable for thee that one of thy kitchen appliances should perish, and not that thy food should remain unfrozen.

In other words: just saw the excess off, and be done with it.

DahLliA
05-11-2010, 07:18 AM
so range is another word for stove O_o

now this finally makes sense

http://pageslap.files.wordpress.com/2008/08/openrange.jpg

Gilshalos Sedai
05-11-2010, 07:44 AM
so range is another word for stove O_o

now this finally makes sense

http://pageslap.files.wordpress.com/2008/08/openrange.jpg

Yes, it's another word for stove. I'm not entirely sure WHY it's a synonym, but it is.

Sei'taer
05-11-2010, 08:17 AM
In other words: just saw the excess off, and be done with it.

Nearly impossible with the flimsy crap it's made out of and the tools needed to do it...and then you have to the bends and folds to consider. Easier just to buy another.

Yellowbeard
05-11-2010, 08:32 AM
standard home repair specification: cut and beat to fit. paint to match.

works everytime.

Neilbert
05-11-2010, 10:05 AM
No cold place for food storage? :(:(
No hot place for food cookage?!? :(:(:(:(:(:(
:eek::eek::(:(:(

I would die.

Ivhon
05-11-2010, 10:11 AM
No cold place for food storage? :(:(
No hot place for food cookage?!? :(:(:(:(:(:(
:eek::eek::(:(:(

I would die.

Well, we can cook. It just gets really smokey.

I tell you, though, the last several days have taught me how much we take our refrigerators for granted.

I say we have National Refrigerator Appreciation week sometime in June.

Yellowbeard
05-11-2010, 10:23 AM
i feel so lucky to have an extra fridge/freezer combo unit in the garage right now. and a gas grill i can cook anything out on the back deck.

always good to have backups. of course, i also learned how to cook all sorts of epicurean delights on an open fire in boy scouts, and we have a fire circle for making bonfires in the backyard too.

GonzoTheGreat
05-11-2010, 10:29 AM
Yeah, you can never have too much redundancy.

Hopper
05-11-2010, 11:57 AM
Yeah, you can never have too much redundant repetitive redundancy.

Fixed for you.

Sei'taer
05-11-2010, 12:31 PM
Well, we can cook. It just gets really smokey.

I tell you, though, the last several days have taught me how much we take our refrigerators for granted.

I say we have National Refrigerator Appreciation week sometime in June.

I just had leftover fried chicken for lunch. Colonel Sanders would have been proud.

Dinner was great last night btw and I didn't screw up the gravy, it was creamy and tasty and the the perfect amount of fresh ground pepper in it. I put that on some nice mashed taters. I like my gravy creamy and smooth and my mashed taters chunky with the skins mixed in. I never thought about it, but that's kind of weird.

And green beans that Pop canned for me last year.

mmmhmmmhhmmmmhhhmmmmm!

Ivhon
05-11-2010, 01:09 PM
I just had leftover fried chicken for lunch. Colonel Sanders would have been proud.

Dinner was great last night btw and I didn't screw up the gravy, it was creamy and tasty and the the perfect amount of fresh ground pepper in it. I put that on some nice mashed taters. I like my gravy creamy and smooth and my mashed taters chunky with the skins mixed in. I never thought about it, but that's kind of weird.

And green beans that Pop canned for me last year.

mmmhmmmhhmmmmhhhmmmmm!

I dislike beans of any sort. I reconciled to your chicken and gravy yesterday, so you will need to come up with something better to make me all regretful. You have about 2 hours as the range hood dude is on his way...

Yellowbeard
05-11-2010, 02:37 PM
have steaks marinating in my FRIDGE at home right now. gonna grill them tonight for dinner. and have a nice icy cold beverage that was kept cold in my FRIDGE. and maybe even w/ some ice that was made in my FREEZER.

then i'll have an ice cream bar that i kept in my other FREEZER.

;)

Ivhon
05-11-2010, 03:14 PM
have steaks marinating in my FRIDGE at home right now. gonna grill them tonight for dinner. and have a nice icy cold beverage that was kept cold in my FRIDGE. and maybe even w/ some ice that was made in my FREEZER.

then i'll have an ice cream bar that i kept in my other FREEZER.

;)

Fridge is plugged in. Beer is cooling (although it may be a teeny bit skunked from having been removed from the old fridge). Vodka in the freezer. Headin to the grocery store for ice cream...among other things.

Sei'taer
05-11-2010, 03:55 PM
Fridge is plugged in. Beer is cooling (although it may be a teeny bit skunked from having been removed from the old fridge). Vodka in the freezer. Headin to the grocery store for ice cream...among other things.

Don't forget mustard. A man's gotta have mustard.

Ivhon
05-11-2010, 04:10 PM
Don't forget mustard. A man's gotta have mustard.

Mayo > Mustard. Have to prioritize.

Mayo + Bacon + Bread = heaven (i.e. skip the tomato and the lettuce).

JSUCamel
05-11-2010, 04:17 PM
Mayo > Mustard. Have to prioritize.

Mayo + Bacon + Bread = heaven (i.e. skip the tomato and the lettuce).

My soul has never been so torn. Mayo > Mustard? I dunno about that... but Mayo + Bacon > all... especially if you skip the tomato and lettuce...

Birgitte
05-11-2010, 04:20 PM
I'm gonna go with Taer on this one. And the whole mashed potatos thing. Definitely lumpy mashed potatos with skins.

And mustard is way better than mayo.

Sei'taer
05-11-2010, 04:33 PM
I'm gonna go with Taer on this one. And the whole mashed potatos thing. Definitely lumpy mashed potatos with skins.

And mustard is way better than mayo.

I like mayo, but mustard goes with almost everything, mayo...not so much. Mustard is good for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Mustard is a staple that cannot be gone without.

Zaela Sedai
05-12-2010, 05:56 PM
Dahl--- with all the tiems we've posted that pic and laughed our arses off, how did you never ask?

Crispin's Crispian
05-12-2010, 06:56 PM
Dahl--- with all the tiems we've posted that pic and laughed our arses off, how did you never ask?

No kidding. That pic has been an Internet meme since before Al Gore.

DahLliA
05-13-2010, 07:30 AM

well. it's usually in a collection of other funny pictures so I usually just skip it and then forget it :p

Ishara
05-13-2010, 08:05 AM
ROFL

Mustard > Mayo, for what it's worth, but the bestest sandwich? A little raosted garlic paste smeared on one side of the bread, sliced tomatoes, a little basil and a healthy dose of mayo on the other side of the bread. No bacon, no mustard, and no lettuce.

Nom.

JSUCamel
05-13-2010, 09:16 AM
ROFL

Mustard > Mayo, for what it's worth, but the bestest sandwich? A little raosted garlic paste smeared on one side of the bread, sliced tomatoes, a little basil and a healthy dose of mayo on the other side of the bread. No bacon, no mustard, and no lettuce.

Nom.

No bacon!? NO BACON?! NO NOM!

Leanne
05-13-2010, 09:20 AM
Mustard > Mayo definitely!

Best breakfast = english muffin, peanut butter, and bananas with a nice glass of milk.

JSUCamel
05-13-2010, 09:25 AM
Mustard > Mayo definitely!

Best breakfast = english muffin, peanut butter, and bananas with a nice glass of milk.

What planet are you people from!?!?

Davian93
05-13-2010, 10:00 AM
Mustard > Mayo

Unless Bacon is involved. The Bacon Caveat overthrows any comparison as Bacon and Mayo will overcome mustard.

Yellowbeard
05-13-2010, 10:38 AM
mustard = good
mayo = good
bacon = good

mayo + black olives = ***drools*** when put on a toasted italian. w/ of course mustard and bacon as well. with bread that has sesame seeds on it. and oregano and a bit of oil and vinegar.

mmmm...i'm thinking quiznos for lunch now!

Davian93
05-13-2010, 12:40 PM
For whatever reason, I can't stand black olives. I love all sorts of other olives but black olives turn my stomach.

JSUCamel
05-13-2010, 01:00 PM
For whatever reason, I can't stand black olives. I love all sorts of other olives but black olives turn my stomach.

You are dead to me.

Davian93
05-13-2010, 01:07 PM
You are dead to me.

LOL...I like other olives, just not the black ones.

tworiverswoman
05-13-2010, 05:17 PM
lol

I love olives. The black ones you've had may have had too much of an iodine taste to them. I have a jar of giant Spanish Olives in my fridge that I got in a two-pack from Costco that I actually will eat for dessert sometimes -- only 10-15 calories each! And I've been known to open a can of black olives and just munch on the damn things.

A sandwich combo I've learned to love in the last year is Italian herb bread (baguette or hero style) with Costco's "honey roasted turkey" slices, some cold cooked bacon, mayo, cucumber slices, iceberg lettuce, black olives, and this nifty oil/vinegar/herb stuff I found in the local Safeway just for sandwiches. If I have any on hand, I'll add tomatoes or some thin slices of those mini-orange or yellow peppers. It's quite capable of becoming a dagwood too big to fit easily in my mouth. :(

Back when we used to play a lot of D&D, and had a "table of devouring" to supply, I got into buying all kinds of fancy mustards to go with the various sausages we liked. I still buy the things, but mostly I just eat the basic Kraft/French's Yellow Mustard.

And Miracle Whip > Mayo, except for the above described sammich. It's why I wouldn't EAT other people's sammiches until a year or so ago. No professional sandwich maker will touch the stuff. :(

Ivhon
05-13-2010, 06:10 PM
lol

I love olives. The black ones you've had may have had too much of an iodine taste to them. I have a jar of giant Spanish Olives in my fridge that I got in a two-pack from Costco that I actually will eat for dessert sometimes -- only 10-15 calories each! And I've been known to open a can of black olives and just munch on the damn things.

A sandwich combo I've learned to love in the last year is Italian herb bread (baguette or hero style) with Costco's "honey roasted turkey" slices, some cold cooked bacon, mayo, cucumber slices, iceberg lettuce, black olives, and this nifty oil/vinegar/herb stuff I found in the local Safeway just for sandwiches. If I have any on hand, I'll add tomatoes or some thin slices of those mini-orange or yellow peppers. It's quite capable of becoming a dagwood too big to fit easily in my mouth. :(

Back when we used to play a lot of D&D, and had a "table of devouring" to supply, I got into buying all kinds of fancy mustards to go with the various sausages we liked. I still buy the things, but mostly I just eat the basic Kraft/French's Yellow Mustard.

And Miracle Whip > Mayo, except for the above described sammich. It's why I wouldn't EAT other people's sammiches until a year or so ago. No professional sandwich maker will touch the stuff. :(

I wont buy miracle whip now because of their snotty punk ad campaign.

And I...well, I don't despise olives, but I sure don't like em. I pick em off pizza and sammiches. Can definitely taste where they were, too.

Olive OIL on the other hand, is - along with honey - the best stuff ever. Well, not together, obviously. I mean in the sense that Olive Oil >>> butter and honey >>>> refined sugar.

Leanne
05-13-2010, 06:34 PM
I usually hate olives. I can't stand them to be on anything and if they were on it, I can taste them and won't be able to eat it. That said, sometimes if there is a dish of olives and I feel like it, I will try one. Sometimes they taste so good, I can't stop eating them. So, I guess I have to really be in the mood for them.

tworiverswoman
05-14-2010, 01:14 PM
I wont buy miracle whip now because of their snotty punk ad campaign.

And I...well, I don't despise olives, but I sure don't like em. I pick em off pizza and sammiches. Can definitely taste where they were, too.

Olive OIL on the other hand, is - along with honey - the best stuff ever. Well, not together, obviously. I mean in the sense that Olive Oil >>> butter and honey >>>> refined sugar.One of the advantages of never turning on my TV is that I don't SEE advertising, so this "punk ad campaign" of which you speak is unknown to me. Unless it shows up on "veryfunnyads.com," of course.

And I forgot to add ONIONS to my sandwich, dammit. Inexcusable!

A local italian restaurant serves fresh italian bread chunks along with a shallow dish of olive oil, mixed with what I think must be basil or some such. Damn, that's good.

I need to find a recipe my sister sent me for brie cheese with honey. As I recall, she put the cheese on a plate, microwaved it for 15-30 seconds and then covered it with honey and served it with crackers. Or something like that. It was amazing. And insanely simple.

Yellowbeard
05-14-2010, 02:45 PM
i like to snack on the green olives stuffed w/ garlic chunks. mmmmm....

made cajun bbq shrimp. turns out they just slather it in butter, hordes of pepper, and obscene amounts of garlic...according to the recipe we used. wrapped it in foil and threw it on the grill. was d*mn good.

and had fresh corn on the cob...also cooked on the grill.

will try adding cayenne pepper and/or paprika next time though, and just experiment w/ it.

also recently did a big filet of red snapper, blackened on the grill. i get this blackening seasoning from a local fresh market. oh dear is the stuff good.

Sei'taer
05-14-2010, 03:57 PM
mmmmm...olives with garlic. I love those.

Onions. I can eat onions anyway they are cooked or not cooked.

Olives. Love 'em. They give me gas.

Bacon sandwiches are only allowed to have mayo.

Red Snapper, try it with crushed fresh tarragon stuffed inside (or don't crush it and lace it through the meat on the stem). and grill it the same way. It'll make you slap your mama.

I also like to cut slits in my salmon and stuff garlic in the slits before I grill it (about 5 for a big filet), season the rest like normal...or stuff it in too, i guess.

Corn on the cob. Use paprika or cayenne or chili powder, wrap it in foil with a little butter and a sliver of garlic.

Ribs. Don't boil them, right Ishy? ~shakes head~ Canadians...

Ishara
05-25-2010, 07:32 AM
LOL - Well, I don't boil them. I was just asking!