PDA

View Full Version : Portal

Matoyak
05-13-2010, 07:57 AM
Anyone here who is interested in this amazing little game, it's currently Free on Steam until May 24th. Go try it out. Portal 2 will be coming out sometime later this year, as well, (though P2 will be a fully fleshed out game, rather than a nice download-sized bite or two). Click Here (http://store.steampowered.com/app/400/)

Belazamon
05-13-2010, 02:45 PM
Bloody thing won't run well on my system. I know I didn't bother getting a computer that's optimised for gaming - primarily because I do very little computer gaming - but I'm annoyed that I can't run a game that's a year older than my PC. :(

Matoyak
05-13-2010, 02:48 PM
Bloody thing won't run well on my system. I know I didn't bother getting a computer that's optimized for gaming - primarily because I do very little computer gaming - but I'm annoyed that I can't run a game that's a year older than my PC. :(What are your specs? It runs fine on my laptop that's graphics card is basically nonexistent... Which is surprising.

ShadowbaneX
05-13-2010, 02:50 PM
A few of points:

a) you need to download Steam, which is Valve's (the company that made Portal) digital distribution system. It's a free download, but it's great. It has a built-in IM/Chat system. There's also a new UI (User Interface) beta that's currently on going that also has it's own mini-web browser, so you don't need to alt+tab in the middle of a game if you want to look something up.

b) Steam is now available for Macs. If you are one of those savages you can now catch up to the rest of the world and get Steam and Portal.

c) Portal is awesome.

d) the Cake is a lie.

Belazamon
05-13-2010, 02:55 PM
What are your specs? It runs fine on my laptop that's graphics card is basically nonexistent... Which is surprising.
Only thing I can think is my processor - suggested 3GHz or better, mine's 2.3GHz. I'm well past the minimum and into the suggested range for everything else. Just updated my drivers, too. ~shrug~

ShadowbaneX
05-13-2010, 02:56 PM
Only thing I can think is my processor - suggested 3GHz or better, mine's 2.3GHz. I'm well past the minimum and into the suggested range for everything else. Just updated my drivers, too. ~shrug~
I don't have a 3.0 GHz CPU. I think that's for a single core. Do you have a dual-core CPU? If you do you should be fine. Also, have you downloaded Steam? You sorta need that to play.

Belazamon
05-13-2010, 03:04 PM
I don't have a 3.0 GHz CPU. I think that's for a single core. Do you have a dual-core CPU? If you do you should be fine. Also, have you downloaded Steam? You sorta need that to play.
Yes, I have Steam. I'm not a total incompetent, just significantly. ;)

Anyway, I hate being one of those guys in one of those threads, but since people are asking, I'll toss out the basics.

~ AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4400+ 2.30 GHz
~ 2.0 GB RAM
~ Windows Vista 32-bit operating system
~ Graphics card: NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE nForce 430
~ DirectX 10
~ Display mode: 1680x1050

Tried lowering some graphics settings, lowering resolution, running in a window instead of fullscreen - no dice.

ShadowbaneX
05-13-2010, 03:34 PM
Sorry, always need to start with the basics. Continuing in the vein, especially since it's a non-gaming computer, have you tried updating the graphics drivers?

Also, what is the error exactly? Is it freezing, stuttering, locking up, just not loading?

Matoyak
05-13-2010, 03:41 PM
All I can think of is the CPU combined with that little amount of RAM. ~shrug~ Sorry, I can't help ya. :-/

Belazamon
05-13-2010, 05:24 PM
Sorry, always need to start with the basics. Continuing in the vein, especially since it's a non-gaming computer, have you tried updating the graphics drivers?

Also, what is the error exactly? Is it freezing, stuttering, locking up, just not loading?
Yes, and it's just choppy to the point of unplayability.

And now, for the curious onlookers, we've moved to AIM for troubleshooting purposes. Move along, nothing to see here. ;)

Sinistrum
05-13-2010, 05:31 PM
The cake is a lie.

Birgitte
05-14-2010, 12:19 AM
This was a triumph.
I'm making a note here: Huge Success
It's hard to over-state my satisfaction.

... That song (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6ljFaKRTrI&feature=related)is totally gonna be stuck in my head for hours.

Matoyak
05-16-2010, 07:45 AM
This was a triumph.
I'm making a note here: Huge Success
It's hard to over-state my satisfaction.

... That song (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6ljFaKRTrI&feature=related)is totally gonna be stuck in my head for hours.I really like all four versions JoCo has done of that song. (He wrote the score for the jazzy instrumental one heard in-game, he played the music for the one with GladOS, he did his own version (of course, since he wrote it), and him and this one woman do a Ukulele version that is really mellow.)

One Armed Gimp
05-17-2010, 08:04 AM
Yes, and it's just choppy to the point of unplayability.

And now, for the curious onlookers, we've moved to AIM for troubleshooting purposes. Move along, nothing to see here. ;)

Don't know if you guys have already figured this one out, but its most likely your on board video.

Mort
05-17-2010, 08:22 AM
What I can't figure out is if the game is free beyond the 24th? I've installed it but will Steam wanna charge me after the 24th or is this now my game for all eternity (or until Steam vanishes)?

Anyway, awesome.

JSUCamel
05-17-2010, 08:52 AM
What I can't figure out is if the game is free beyond the 24th? I've installed it but will Steam wanna charge me after the 24th or is this now my game for all eternity (or until Steam vanishes)?

Anyway, awesome.

Once you download it, it's yours.

Zanguini
05-17-2010, 09:28 AM
I am waiting on Alpha protocol to come out its on its fifth push back current release date June 1

I am currently playing MLB the show 10 a must for baseball likers.
I also have Heavy Rain but ive been playing baseball too much to get into it.

thank you tru

Matoyak
05-17-2010, 09:37 AM
I am waiting on Alpha protocol to come out its on its fifth push back current release date June 1Heh, I'm just waiting for that game to be pushed back again. How much longer until we get to start using it as the new Alan Wake? :rolleyes:
But seriously, Gamespot showed that game off a week or so ago, and I am not sure at all if it is ready for a June 1 release... I like the idea of it, what little I know it seems kinda like a modern Deus Ex with more RPG elements (So I guess like Mass Effect with Stealth?)

Zanguini
05-17-2010, 09:51 AM
I think that it has to be a packaging/distribution problem with this last push back ... it was pushed with a week to go from may 1 to may 31... why they pushed it back another day is beyond me... probably a marketing thing.... they could have pushed it back to get a little further away from FF XIII... they push it back again though they run the risk of having to compete with SC2 and this years football releases.

Matoyak
05-17-2010, 10:00 AM
They pushed it out of May because May is superoverpacked with some heavy hitters across the board.

Red Dead Redemption, Alan Wake, Trauma Team, Prince of Persia, Split/Second, Lost Planet 2, Skate 3, Super Mario Galaxy 2, ModNation Racers, and Blur are all in the two weeks, two and a half weeks right before Alpha Protocol hits.

I personally think a mid-June release would be the best for it, as it is relatively unknown, and will be BURIED under that pile of well-known and pretty much guaranteed to be good titles. AP is Obsidian's first original IP worth anything (if not its very first) and releasing it during or soon after a month filled with games like the above is a really poor decision...

EDIT: I was right, Obsidian has never created its own IP, AP is its very first. Everything else they've done has been either for Bioware or Bethesda on Neverwinter Nights, Star Wars, or Fallout. Similar to Treyarch with its Call of Duty duties. Oh, and Fallout New Vegas will not hit until Q4 2010 earliest so most likely Q1 2011. Too late to recover in 2010 if AP does poorly...

ShadowbaneX
05-17-2010, 12:24 PM
Don't know if you guys have already figured this one out, but its most likely your on board video.

Yeah, that's pretty much the conclusion we came to. The game runs fine at the lowest resolution, but otherwise is slow and choppy.

Anyway, awesome.

I believe that once you download it, it's yours. If that's not the case they won't charge you. The worst case scenario, is that you get to play it until the 24th and then it locks until you get another key, but again, from what I can tell, it's just exactly that a free game.

*warning*spoilers in the following links*warning*

Look at it from Valve's point of view. It's a game on it's own, that invaded geek popular culture to the point of having a kids school choir performing (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6m5TuxdkfkE) the song that's played over the ending credits and having people going out for Halloween dressed as the characters from the game (http://www.threepanelsoul.com/images/rants/costumes.jpg).

It's relatively short game (I believe my last play through took 90 minutes), and once people are done quite a few of them will have downloaded Steam to get the game and will now sit around wondering "well, what else can I do with this?" At which point people will start going and looking into other games, baseball or torchlight, half-life, civilization, or whatever and God (and Valve) only knows how many extra thousands and millions of dollars they'll pick up from giving away Portal for free for two weeks.

I'd say it's worth the cost...and Valve can afford to do so.

Matoyak
05-17-2010, 12:34 PM
Not to mention that Portal 2 (http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/portal2/index.html?tag=result%3Btitle%3B2) will be releasing this fall.
Add to that the fact that Steam is also now available for Mac (which is the actual reason Portal is currently free...a way to let the Mac users get a hold of a game right off the bat and to see what Steam can offer)

Crispin's Crispian
05-17-2010, 06:17 PM
Yeah, that's pretty much the conclusion we came to. The game runs fine at the lowest resolution, but otherwise is slow and choppy.

Huh. I just figured Bela was running really complex database queries to analyze some Higgs boson data from CERN, or possibly Zan gave him some fractal climate calcuations for 4-D modeling.

Seemed obvious at the time.

Belazamon
05-17-2010, 07:51 PM
Huh. I just figured Bela was running really complex database queries to analyze some Higgs boson data from CERN, or possibly Zan gave him some fractal climate calcuations for 4-D modeling.
Actually I was doing both, whilst simultaneously calculating pi out to as many places as possible, looking for patterns.

Crispin's Crispian
05-17-2010, 08:06 PM
Actually I was doing both, whilst simultaneously calculating pi out to as many places as possible, looking for patterns.

Once you get past the 437,895th digit, it's just 42 over and over again.

ShadowbaneX
05-17-2010, 08:28 PM
oh, did you see Gordon Freeman while at CERN? Tell him to smash a few head-crab zombies for me!

Matoyak
05-17-2010, 09:35 PM
While you're there, could you tell my Physics professor to check his email? I would like to find out exactly what I made on my final, and he forgets to check his email when he's at CERN. >.>

Hrm, have never thought to ask him if he's met Gordon Freeman. Doubt he'd get the referece. :p

Zanguini
05-18-2010, 09:26 AM
Climate fractal pattern data hasnt been convincingly proven or disproven. Convective clouds are made from a fractal pattern but thats not climate. Though, I suppose its better than chaos theory data from Dr Ian Malcom.

Neilbert
05-18-2010, 10:17 AM
The cake is a lie.

I would just like to remind you that android hell is a real place and you will be sent there at the first sign of defiance.

Firseal
05-24-2010, 06:39 PM
For those of you who haven't seen it.

The best little flash version of Still Alive (http://www.vgcats.com/comics/videos/stillalive.php).

GonzoTheGreat
05-25-2010, 05:28 AM
The "REPLAY?" at the end is a nice touch.