PDA

View Full Version : Twenty Questions (WOT version)

WinespringBrother
05-13-2010, 07:53 AM
The Aelfinn were bored and decided to kidnap you, and wipe out your identity, though you still have all your other memories (AFAYK). You are currently in their lair, and there is no visible means of escape. Several Aelfinn are sitting on high pedestals, staring at the air over your head. Finally, one of them speaks:

"Ask your questions."

JSUCamel
05-13-2010, 07:57 AM
The Aelfinn were bored and decided to kidnap you, and wipe out your identity, though you still have all your other memories (AFAYK). You are currently in their lair, and there is no visible means of escape. Several Aelfinn are sitting on high pedestals, staring at the air over your head. Finally, one of them speaks:

"Ask your questions."

Uh, generally there's some sort of goal when you do something like this... am I trying to figure out who "I" am? or how to escape? or both?

WinespringBrother
05-13-2010, 08:00 AM
Uh, generally there's some sort of goal when you do something like this... am I trying to figure out who "I" am? or how to escape? or both?

Exactly correct, human. If you figure out who you are, you will be rewarded and free passage will be given. If not, ...

Ishara
05-13-2010, 08:06 AM
Question for WSB before I begin: do Ihave any notion as to which sex I belong?

WinespringBrother
05-13-2010, 08:10 AM
Question for WSB before I begin: do Ihave any notion as to which sex I belong?

Before you begin, no. An excellent starter question, though...

Ishara
05-13-2010, 08:24 AM
Okay then:

1. Are we speaking with the help of an interpreter?

2. To which sex do I belong?

WinespringBrother
05-13-2010, 08:33 AM
Okay then:

1. Are we speaking with the help of an interpreter?

2. To which sex do I belong?

Somehow, though you feel like you have never heard the words before that the Aelfinn speak, you understand them (no interpreter is present)

1) You are a male human.

"Ask your questions", the next Aelfinn hisses, looking over your head.

Hopper
05-13-2010, 08:38 AM
Was I born North or South of Tar Valon?

WinespringBrother
05-13-2010, 08:41 AM
Was I born North or South of Tar Valon?

2. The Aelfinn look over your head for a long time, then glance at each other, puzzled looks on their faces. Finally, one of them mutters, "Sssssouth, I guessssss."

"Assssssk your questionssssssss..."

Sei'taer
05-13-2010, 08:54 AM
2. The Aelfinn look over your head for a long time, then glance at each other, puzzled looks on their faces. Finally, one of them mutters, "Sssssouth, I guessssss."

"Assssssk your questionssssssss..."

"Mr Finn guy, you have a booger in your nose...at least I'm assuming it's a booger, but you are a weird looking group of...uh...people. ANyway, I have a kleenex you can borrow, or that...well, I guess you'd call her a lady, next to you has a purse, she probably has a kleenex or even a feminine napkin that she'd let you borrow. then again, she is right beside you and probably doesn't care because she can't see it. Let me think about a question...y'know, that booger is just messing me all up, I can't think of a good question to ask. As a matter of fact, i kind of feel sick to my stomach..."

WinespringBrother
05-13-2010, 08:59 AM
"Mr Finn guy, you have a booger in your nose...at least I'm assuming it's a booger, but you are a weird looking group of...uh...people. ANyway, I have a kleenex you can borrow, or that...well, I guess you'd call her a lady, next to you has a purse, she probably has a kleenex or even a feminine napkin that she'd let you borrow. then again, she is right beside you and probably doesn't care because she can't see it. Let me think about a question...y'know, that booger is just messing me all up, I can't think of a good question to ask. As a matter of fact, i kind of feel sick to my stomach..."

All the Aelfinn start making some kind of wheezing sound, which is painful to your ears, but after a few moments you realize it is laughter.

*Cough Cough * Ahem. "Ask your questionss, human."

Leanne
05-13-2010, 09:09 AM
Do I have any powers/abilities?

WinespringBrother
05-13-2010, 09:16 AM
Do I have any powers/abilities?

3. No, you are a boring, non-ta'veren, non fore-telling, non-true-power-wielding, vanilla thread of a human. * Yawns *

"Ask your questions."

Isabel
05-13-2010, 10:42 AM
Have I met one or more of the three ta'veren?

WinespringBrother
05-13-2010, 10:53 AM
Have I met one or more of the three ta'veren?

4. The Aelfinn stare over your head, slowly inhaling. "Yesss, you have met at least one ta'veren. Quite a savor, yesss."

"Ask your questions."

Crispin's Crispian
05-13-2010, 12:21 PM
How old am I?

WinespringBrother
05-13-2010, 12:27 PM
How old am I?

OOC: Only binary questions are permitted ;) but I will let it slide this time

5. IC: "You are apparently an adult, though with your odd body shape, it is hard to tell."

"Ask your questions."

GonzoTheGreat
05-13-2010, 01:37 PM
Tempting to ask "Did I kill Asmodean?", but since that won't give me any clues as to my identity anyway, I suppose it would be useless for this particular purpose.

Was I born in what is generally called Randland?

WinespringBrother
05-13-2010, 01:50 PM
Tempting to ask "Did I kill Asmodean?", but since that won't give me any clues as to my identity anyway, I suppose it would be useless for this particular purpose.

Was I born in what is generally called Randland?

6. "If what you mean as this Randland is the area west of the Dragonwall that the Aiel call the Wetlands, then yes, that is where you were born. It may not be where you die though." ~weg~

"Oh, also, we killed Asmodean." :P

"Ask your questions."

fdsaf3
05-13-2010, 01:59 PM
Am I from a country with an Ogier-built city?

WinespringBrother
05-13-2010, 02:33 PM

7. *Mutter Mutter Mutter* More where was I born questions *Mutter Mutter Mutter* The Finns stare over your head for a very long time, and talk amongst themselves in a harsh language. Finally, one of them addresses you. "If you mean your nationality, we can see no indications of Ogier stone masons having built anything in the main city of the current incarnation of your home nation. That is not to imply that you were actually born in the same land as your parents."

"Ask your questions."

tworiverswoman
05-13-2010, 04:42 PM
Am I what humans think of as wealthy or powerful (sans access to The Power, of course)?

Crispin's Crispian
05-13-2010, 06:08 PM
OOC: Only binary questions are permitted ;) but I will let it slide this time.That wasn't specified at the beginning, Snakey.

WinespringBrother
05-13-2010, 09:44 PM
Am I what humans think of as wealthy or powerful (sans access to The Power, of course)?

8. "Previously to your arrival here, no one would consider you wealthy or powerful, though you weren't a beggar either."

"Ask your questions."

WinespringBrother
05-13-2010, 09:47 PM
That wasn't specified at the beginning, Snakey.

The basic version of Twenty Questions only allows yes/no questions, but I am allowing any 2 choice questions to make things smoother.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twenty_Questions

Frenzy
05-14-2010, 01:49 AM
Am i known as a dangerous man?

yks 6nnetu hing
05-14-2010, 02:02 AM
Am I alive during any part of the story taking place in the present of the story?

er... what I want to know: whether I'm the stuff of some dusty old legend or someone traipsing around Randland at the same time the Dragon is. Rand the Dragon.

WinespringBrother
05-14-2010, 05:56 AM
Am i known as a dangerous man?

9. The Aelfinn pondered this question for a bit, looking amused and gesturing to each other as they discussed their responses. First, a female replied "One who we recently made acquaintance with has said that all men are dangerous." Then a male replied "In your own mind, perhaps." Then, both said "NO".

"Ask your questions."

WinespringBrother
05-14-2010, 05:58 AM
Am I alive during any part of the story taking place in the present of the story?

er... what I want to know: whether I'm the stuff of some dusty old legend or someone traipsing around Randland at the same time the Dragon is. Rand the Dragon.

10. "You live in the time of the fire-sword wielding cheater."

"Ask your questions."

WinespringBrother
05-14-2010, 06:43 AM

7. *Mutter Mutter Mutter* More where was I born questions *Mutter Mutter Mutter* The Finns stare over your head for a very long time, and talk amongst themselves in a harsh language. Finally, one of them addresses you. "If you mean your nationality, we can see no indications of Ogier stone masons having built anything in the main city of the current incarnation of your home nation. That is not to imply that you were actually born in the same land as your parents."

"Ask your questions."

7a. A youthful looking Aelfinn stated "Didn't our human agents take him FROM a land with an Ogier built city?" He grunted as one of the older Aelfinn cuffed him where his ear should be.

WinespringBrother
05-14-2010, 07:54 AM
Feel free to PM me your guess (though I won't read it until the game is over)

irerancincpkc
05-14-2010, 09:34 AM
Do I have a well defined purpose in my life?

Basel Gill
05-14-2010, 09:40 AM
Do I wear a style of clothing that would help identify where I am from?

yks 6nnetu hing
05-14-2010, 09:51 AM
Do I like to move around a lot - travel all over Randland, perhaps?

Nazbaque
05-14-2010, 10:16 AM
Now be honest with me. Am I fat?

WinespringBrother
05-14-2010, 10:20 AM
Do I have a well defined purpose in my life?
11. The Finns all looked at each other with wicked grins on their faces. "YES!" They all cackled in unison.

Do I wear a style of clothing that would help identify where I am from?
12. One of the Aelfinn produced from somewhere a large book and started thumbing through it, glancing at you periodically. She then stated "Your garb does not match anything that is unique in your home nation, nor does it match anything that is in current popular fashion in the land that you were taken."

Do I like to move around a lot - travel all over Randland, perhaps?

13. "Who do you think you are, Jain Farstrider?" All the Finns chuckle at that. They then pondered and discussed for a long while before one of them looked at you with a thoughtful expression on his face, as if deciding how much information to reveal. "We can discern no joy or pleasure to your motives, though admittedly such things are foreign to us. However, we can say that you were taken in the same nation that your life made its greatest impressions on the web of destiny being woven, and we see no great pattern of movement within the last few years."

"Ask your questions."

WinespringBrother
05-14-2010, 10:22 AM
Now be honest with me. Am I fat?

14. "You would not be mistaken for an honest innkeeper, if that is what you are asking."

"Ask your questions."

WinespringBrother
05-14-2010, 10:33 AM
Some OOC comments:

"Land you were taken" means where you last appeared on-screen

Some vague answers are due to the fact that the information was never provided in the books, though I was able to discern a few facts from various sources.

GonzoTheGreat
05-14-2010, 10:44 AM
We should've taken the sensible approach, and gone with "does my name start with a letter from the first half of the alphabet", but it is too late for that now, so I won't.

WinespringBrother
05-14-2010, 10:58 AM
We should've taken the sensible approach, and gone with "does my name start with a letter from the first half of the alphabet", but it is too late for that now, so I won't.

Ye olde encyclopaedia-wot approach, eh? :) Well, I think they way you approached it is the more fun way, anyway...

yks 6nnetu hing
05-14-2010, 12:19 PM
13. "Who do you think you are, Jain Farstrider?" All the Finns chuckle at that. They then pondered and discussed for a long while before one of them looked at you with a thoughtful expression on his face, as if deciding how much information to reveal. "We can discern no joy or pleasure to your motives, though admittedly such things are foreign to us. However, we can say that you were taken in the same nation that your life made its greatest impressions on the web of destiny being woven, and we see no great pattern of movement within the last few years."

"Ask your questions."

:p heeeey! look, all I did was rule out all Tinkers, pretty much most Warders (although that was covered in an earlier question, the one with the violence), all peddlers, the entire traveling circus, traveling minstrels and Hunters of the Horn. Also, anyone who makes their livelyhood by sailing.

right, question:

Was I taken in the Western part of Randland?

WinespringBrother
05-14-2010, 12:31 PM
:p heeeey! look, all I did was rule out all Tinkers, pretty much most Warders (although that was covered in an earlier question, the one with the violence), all peddlers, the entire traveling circus, traveling minstrels and Hunters of the Horn. Also, anyone who makes their livelyhood by sailing.

right, question:

Was I taken in the Western part of Randland?

15. The Aelfinn's spent a few short moments poring over a map before replying. "No."

"Ask your questions."

OOC: it was a good question (about the traveling), I was just having some fun with ya :P

irerancincpkc
05-15-2010, 08:42 PM
Am I married?

WinespringBrother
05-16-2010, 11:21 AM
Am I married?

16. "If you are, I pity the poor soul who would willingly spend any time with you."

"Ask your questions."

OOC recap so far:

You are:
male
not a child, teenager or elderly
without special abilities
a wetlander who was most likely (99%) born south of Tar Valon
a non-resident of the likely birth nation of your parents, which did not have any Ogier buildings in the main city of its current incarnation
unmarried as far as the Finns know
not fat
not wealthy or powerful,nor a beggar
not considered "dangerous"
not a noted wearer of the fashions of your adopted or birth nations
not an extensive traveler but not a shut-in either
obsessed with some purpose
alive in the time of the Dragon Reborn

You were:
taken/last seen in a country which has Ogier built buildings in its main city
not taken/last seen west of Lugard (which I actually figured out with a tape measure and a poster map of Randland)
in an encounter with at least one ta'veren that made an as yet unknown but possibly notably huge impact on the pattern that is unfolding

Zanguini
05-17-2010, 07:47 AM
am i in an army

is my loyalty for rand

yks 6nnetu hing
05-17-2010, 08:00 AM
er... was I still alive when Rand was having his Special Moment on top of Dragonmount?

WinespringBrother
05-17-2010, 08:01 AM
have i ever owned an inn

17. "No, nor have you ever worked in one." You begin to sweat.

Suddenly, a doorway appears and several odd fox-like creatures appear. "The gambler returns. It is time to make preparations." One of them addresses those on the pedestals. "Sssoon." is the reply.

"Ask your questions."

edit: added a bit of info, besides "No" ;)

WinespringBrother
05-17-2010, 08:08 AM
Feel free to use this as a discussion thread...

also, there are at least a couple of follow up questions I can think off the top of my head that would be helpful (Gonzo was on the right track, for example, but while his letter logic is a little late, there are other ways to apply it in a metadata sense)

tworiverswoman
05-18-2010, 02:44 AM
Do I root for the Light or the Shadow?

EDIT: Wait - that was badly worded. Try again.

"Am I on the side of the Light?"

(That first attempt could have been answered with a nice [un]helpful "yes" and I would have had to kick someone)

WinespringBrother
05-18-2010, 08:43 AM
Do I root for the Light or the Shadow?

EDIT: Wait - that was badly worded. Try again.

"Am I on the side of the Light?"

(That first attempt could have been answered with a nice [un]helpful "yes" and I would have had to kick someone)

18. The Aelfinns discuss this amongst themselves for a while, with one of the Eelfinn making occasional comments about punishing you for your "question touching the Shadow". One of them eventually replies. "You are not one of the loser followers of Lavabreath, which is quite fortunate for you. However, I would not count on a warm reception from the, uh, the ta'veren you met previously either." You sense that the Finn changed what he was going to say.

"Ask your questions."

OOC: Good question. I didn't answer yes or no purposefully, but I think I gave a clear enough answer, which I would have given to the first question you were going to ask anyway. I made this game challenging enough without having to resort to the normal sleazy Aelfinn puzzles for answers ;)
In case it wasn't clear, btw, Lavabreath = the dark one :D

Zanguini
05-18-2010, 08:48 AM
Am I a child of the light

Leanne
05-18-2010, 08:56 AM
I was going to ask about the side earlier, but was scared to touch the shadow the same as you...lol.

Leanne
05-18-2010, 09:53 AM
I keep forgetting that he was born South of Tar Valon and taken East of Lugard. As I am thinking about this, I keep thinking both of these as where he was taken.

GonzoTheGreat
05-18-2010, 09:57 AM
I'm getting a sudden hunch that it is Child Byar, but it is too soon to ask that specific a question, I think. We have to figure out how to narrow it down further if Zan's question garners a positive answer.

Leanne
05-18-2010, 10:10 AM
Where was he last seen though?

GonzoTheGreat
05-18-2010, 10:17 AM
I think he's part of Galad's posse. Last time he was on screen he was binding up Galad's wounds after the fight with Valda.

WinespringBrother
05-18-2010, 10:25 AM

19. "No." The Aelfinn and Eelfinn get into an animated discussion, and one of the Eelfinn produces a rope from somewhere. "Do we hang him from the tree of life also?" "No." is the response. "I have something more creative and appropo in store for him." ~weg~

"Ask your last question."

OOC: after your last question, which doesn't have to be your name, you can try to state your name as in "! am ..." or "my name is ..."

*spoilers for TGS*

edit: BTW, Galad's posse was last seen in Ghealdan or Altara, so definitely west of Lugard.

* end spoilers*

Leanne
05-18-2010, 10:34 AM
That is what I thought. hmmmm.... Now we need a really good question that somehow gives it away.

WinespringBrother
05-18-2010, 11:00 AM
OOC: upon review, I am amending the answer for Zanguini's question - the expanded answer may confuse you or enlighten you

Originally Posted by Zanguini

19. "No..." The Aelfinn paused, tapping his lips thoughtfully. After a few moments, the Aelfinn added "However, you may have been entangled in one of their ill-wrought but aborted schemes, had you been in the right place and time."

The Aelfinn and Eelfinn get into an animated discussion, and one of the Eelfinn produces a rope from somewhere. "Do we hang him from the tree of life also?" "No." is the response. "I have something more creative and appropo in store for him." ~weg~

"Ask your last question."

GonzoTheGreat
05-18-2010, 11:14 AM
Wrong B, perhaps. Now I'm thinking of Balwer.

WinespringBrother
05-18-2010, 11:33 AM
Wrong B, perhaps. Now I'm thinking of Balwer.

Byar also doesn't match the limited travel statement, having been to andor, almoth plain, 2 rivers, tar valon, and amador and all points in between for the most part

Balwer is obviously with Perrins' crew, west of Lugard, and on friendly terms with the ta'veren he met, not to mention that he implicitly WAS entangled in many Whitecloak schemes (you never were but you could have been, had you been in the right place and time)

Leanne
05-18-2010, 11:42 AM
Also, this person was most likely last seen in Caemlyn, Cairhien, or Tar Valon. Can anyone think of any other Ogier built cities East of Lugard?

WinespringBrother
05-18-2010, 11:49 AM
am i in an army

is my loyalty for rand

er... was I still alive when Rand was having his Special Moment on top of Dragonmount?

OOC: Damn, I missed these questions... but lucky for you, since the answers probably wouldn't have greatly helped you...I won't count them against you since I know you base later questions on earlier ones
the answers are no, unknown, yes

WinespringBrother
05-18-2010, 11:52 AM
Also, this person was most likely last seen in Caemlyn, Cairhien, or Tar Valon. Can anyone think of any other Ogier built cities East of Lugard?

I can :P

Tear and Illian...at least they have Ogier Stone Masons visiting from time to time. BTW I didn't say they were last seen in the city, but rather in the nation with the city

Sarevok
05-18-2010, 12:17 PM
I'm thinking...
Bayle Domon

Leanne
05-18-2010, 12:17 PM
Ok. I thought of Illian, but the map I was looking at, it looked west of Lugard. When I look at another one, it's clear that it is not.

Leanne
05-18-2010, 12:18 PM
I'm thinking...
Bayle Domon

I think the traveling disqualifies him.

WinespringBrother
05-18-2010, 12:32 PM
I think the traveling disqualifies him.

Also, he is friendly with the ta'veren he met, having traveled extensively with Mat, and having left on good terms with Rand. I think he was last seen west of Lugard, but I'm not sure (and we never see him on-screen in the last spoiler location that we see Mat in)

edit: Also, Bayle was in the right time and place to get caught in a whitecloak scheme, Bornhald's ill fated attack on Falme.

Leanne
05-18-2010, 12:47 PM
(and we never see him on-screen in the last spoiler location that we see Mat in)

I must be missing something. I can't figure out what you mean by this.

JSUCamel
05-18-2010, 01:15 PM
edit: Also, Bayle was in the right time and place to get caught in a whitecloak scheme, Bornhald's ill fated attack on Falme.

I can't think of any particular reason that Bayle would receive a cold welcome from our ta'veren though. Either our ta'veren don't know him or they like him okay, iirc.

In addition, according to my (http://wotdb.com/characters/view/793) research (http://encyclopaedia-wot.org/characters/d/domon.html), Bayle Domon is from Illian, which is South and East of Lugard, which disqualifies him, since he was born in the West, even though he could have been taken in the East, since he was last seen in Andor while traveling with Mat through Hinderstap to Caemlyn.

WinespringBrother
05-18-2010, 01:18 PM
I must be missing something. I can't figure out what you mean by this.

Presumably Bayle was still with Mat in the un-named tgs spoiler location during the last time Mat appeared in TGS, but we don't actually see Bayle on-screen.

Leanne
05-18-2010, 01:23 PM
I can't think of any particular reason that Bayle would receive a cold welcome from our ta'veren though. Either our ta'veren don't know him or they like him okay, iirc.

In addition, according to my (http://wotdb.com/characters/view/793) research (http://encyclopaedia-wot.org/characters/d/domon.html), Bayle Domon is from Illian, which is South and East of Lugard, which disqualifies him, since he was born in the West, even though he could have been taken in the East, since he was last seen in Andor while traveling with Mat through Hinderstap to Caemlyn.

Ok, now I am really confused. How would being born South and East of Lugard disqualify him?

Leanne
05-18-2010, 01:27 PM
I'm not sure why we are arguing against Bayle anyway, a few reasons have already been given why he does not qualify.

WinespringBrother
05-18-2010, 01:41 PM
Ok, now I am really confused. How would being born South and East of Lugard disqualify him?

We don't know for sure where you were born, hence the other clues I provided which were based on inferences from a source that is probably reliably in this instance. We do know where Bayle is from, so he is out.

You can eliminate anyone that you know their birth place for, or that you aren't sure but they were likely born north of Tar Valon (any borderlanders), or that isn't a wetlander (aiel, amayar, seanchan, atha'an miere, sharan)

Leanne
05-18-2010, 01:53 PM
I understand what you are saying. I didn't understand Camel saying he was born East and South of Lugard, then saying he was born in the West.

WinespringBrother
05-18-2010, 01:59 PM
I understand what you are saying. I didn't understand Camel saying he was born East and South of Lugard, then saying he was born in the West.

Gotcha. I think Camel was referring to you as being born in the West, not him (Bayle). However we are putting your ancestry in the west, not your birthplace.

Leanne
05-18-2010, 02:17 PM
When was the ancestry put in the West???

Basel Gill
05-18-2010, 02:27 PM
Need another re-cap post otherwise I'm going to just guess that it's Bela...

Leanne
05-18-2010, 02:31 PM

That's obviously not true, we know Bela is a darkfriend. The bumber stickers said so, it must be true! :D

WinespringBrother
05-18-2010, 02:32 PM
When was the ancestry put in the West???

Ummm, when I lost track of what clues have been give so far LOL

*note that the "likely" qualification that I gave in the summary applies to this accidental clue*

WinespringBrother
05-18-2010, 02:33 PM

Must avoid bad pun...

WinespringBrother
05-18-2010, 02:48 PM
You are:
male
not a child, teenager or elderly
without special abilities
a wetlander who was most likely (99%) born south of Tar Valon but your birth nation isn't known
EDIT: a non-resident of the birth nation of your ancestors, which did not have any Ogier buildings in the main city of its current incarnation, which is in the west - that is, west of Lugard
EDIT: you probably grew up in your ancestor's home nation, based on your accent (unfortunately, this fact was not noted in the wot encyclopaedia which I was using for info about you)

not fat
not wealthy or powerful,nor a beggar
not considered "dangerous"
not a noted wearer of the fashions of your adopted or birth nations
not an extensive traveler but not a shut-in either
obsessed with some purpose
alive when the Dragon Reborn had his epiphany at Dragonmount
not in an army
undeclared for the Dragon Reborn
*not a darkfriend EDIT: not a known darkfriend*
not a child of the light
not on friendly terms with any ta'veren
on unfriendly terms with at least one ta'veren

You were:
taken/last seen in a country which has Ogier built buildings in its main city, which has been narrowed down to Andor, Cairhien, Tear, Illian and the city-nation of Tar Valon
not taken/last seen west of Lugard (which I actually figured out with a tape measure and a poster map of Randland)
in an encounter with at least one ta'veren that made an as yet unknown but possibly notably huge impact on the pattern that is unfolding
never an innkeeper or inn employee

You could have been:
entangled in a ill-wrought but aborted whitecloak scheme if you were in the right place and time

You are not:
Bayle Domon
Jaret Byar
Sebban Balwer

You have:
1 question left

GonzoTheGreat
05-18-2010, 02:58 PM
All right, the only WC schemes that I can come up with right now which might qualify are:
Annoying Tar Valon, on the heels of the Logain procession.
The attempt to conquer Falme and such.
The attempt to conquer Andor.
The attempt to turn the world against al'Thor by staging Dragonsworn depradations.
Possibly: the Whitecloak War, in which Tam al'Thor fought.

Basel Gill
05-18-2010, 03:06 PM
It is a testament to the sheer number of characters that RJ created that all the above isn't enough to even give me a good guess...:(

WinespringBrother
05-18-2010, 03:16 PM
All right, the only WC schemes that I can come up with right now which might qualify are:
Annoying Tar Valon, on the heels of the Logain procession.
The attempt to conquer Falme and such.
The attempt to conquer Andor.
The attempt to turn the world against al'Thor by staging Dragonsworn depradations.
Possibly: the Whitecloak War, in which Tam al'Thor fought.

You can rule out the Whitecloak war, since you would be as old as Tam, and thus elderly *shudder*
I'd keep looking though ;)

It is a testament to the sheer number of characters that RJ created that all the above isn't enough to even give me a good guess...:(

I told you I didn't make this easy :)

Leanne
05-18-2010, 03:22 PM
Maybe Whitecloak plot regarding Morgase and getting into Andor.

Edit: Nevermind, now I see that listed too.

WinespringBrother
05-18-2010, 03:45 PM
After looking up quite a few relevant quotes, I updated the info for ancestry and removed the "suspected" qualification

irerancincpkc
05-18-2010, 05:54 PM
Someone needs to ask a genius last question...

WinespringBrother
05-18-2010, 07:19 PM
updated your home nation info in the new recap-added info that I found from the books that was omitted from the wot encyclopaedia...

WinespringBrother
05-21-2010, 09:22 AM
BTW, there is probably enough information to eliminate everyone as a candidate except for 1 person. though a good winnowing question will be needed to narrow down the search parameters...

and if anyone is doing a re-read, there are helpful quotes spread out through various books that I based the above clues on (at least 4 different books)

yks 6nnetu hing
05-21-2010, 09:44 AM
I don't think you answered my question of "am I still alive when Rand has his cry-fest on top of Dragonmount?"

this is not the same as "Do I live in the time of Rand etc" - I might easily have DIED in the time of Rand. veeeery easily. In fact, if I am who I think I am (and I PM'ed you last week) then I did... ehm... get snuffed. Herid Fel.

Leanne
05-21-2010, 09:57 AM
Originally Posted by Zanguini
am i in an army

is my loyalty for rand

Originally Posted by yks 6nnetu hing

OOC: Damn, I missed these questions... but lucky for you, since the answers probably wouldn't have greatly helped you...I won't count them against you since I know you base later questions on earlier ones
the answers are no, unknown, yes

He did get to them.

Leanne
05-21-2010, 10:25 AM
Ok. I am going to bite and ask the last question. Do I get a point of view at any point in the series? If this doesn't help, just ignore it....LOL.

WinespringBrother
05-21-2010, 10:25 AM
I don't think you answered my question of "am I still alive when Rand has his cry-fest on top of Dragonmount?"

this is not the same as "Do I live in the time of Rand etc" - I might easily have DIED in the time of Rand. veeeery easily. In fact, if I am who I think I am (and I PM'ed you last week) then I did... ehm... get snuffed. Herid Fel.

As Leanne said, I did answer those questions, and also I added the answers in my last recap. Fel is a good guess (I haven't read the PM since I want to avoid seeing your private guesses until the game ends) but he doesn't meet the alive criteria obviously.

WinespringBrother
05-21-2010, 10:28 AM
Ok. I am going to bite and ask the last question. Do I get a point of view at any point in the series? If this doesn't help, just ignore it....LOL.

One of the finns says, "Do you have a question? You look like you want to say something."

OOC: the answer may or may not help, I'm not sayin' :P so your decision whether to use it

Leanne
05-21-2010, 10:30 AM
Argh! I am scared to use the last question. Give me a minute!

GonzoTheGreat
05-21-2010, 11:22 AM
If it goes wrong, we'll all blame you, of course.

Leanne
05-21-2010, 11:29 AM
I forgot the question. ( I looked through all of the "others" on the POV list and I see no one that I think would fit.)

WinespringBrother
05-21-2010, 01:23 PM
Argh! I am scared to use the last question. Give me a minute!

The Finns stare over your head, patiently waiting, not stirring as you mumble a few words then go silent.

If it goes wrong, we'll all blame you, of course.

LOL

I forgot the question. ( I looked through all of the "others" on the POV list and I see no one that I think would fit.)

A wise choice.

I'm sure someone can think of a really good follow up question ...

EDIT: The Finns look bored now. Rep to whoever is brave enough to ask the last question :)

yks 6nnetu hing
05-21-2010, 02:03 PM
As Leanne said, I did answer those questions, and also I added the answers in my last recap. Fel is a good guess (I haven't read the PM since I want to avoid seeing your private guesses until the game ends) but he doesn't meet the alive criteria obviously.

hrrmph... apparently I'm blind... Also, now I have no idea. Of course, it doesn't help that my last re-read was maybe... er... 5 years ago? I did read LoC before tGS but that just makes my latest re-read a 2/12. Sorry, I'm out :(

WinespringBrother
05-21-2010, 02:10 PM
hrrmph... apparently I'm blind... Also, now I have no idea. Of course, it doesn't help that my last re-read was maybe... er... 5 years ago? I did read LoC before tGS but that just makes my latest re-read a 2/12. Sorry, I'm out :(

Even if you can't guess who you are, you may still be able to come up with a good question to narrow it down...

Leanne
05-21-2010, 02:49 PM
Narrow down what??? I don't even have a list of suspects! LOL

WinespringBrother
05-21-2010, 02:59 PM
Narrow down what??? I don't even have a list of suspects! LOL

Actually the problem is your list of suspects is big... so big that going through all the potential suspects would not be helpful. But you have met a ta'veren and you have been sighted last in one of 5 eastern nations. I can think of at least 2 questions that can narrow your search parameters to make it easier to find you.

yks 6nnetu hing
05-21-2010, 03:07 PM
Even if you can't guess who you are, you may still be able to come up with a good question to narrow it down...

Ok, I think I've got a good question: the ta'veren that I'm on unfriendly terms with... I don't think it's Mat because he's been around dangerous sort of people most of the time, and everyone I can think of who is on unfriendly terms with him can definitely be classified as dangerous (although, I could be off here, it could be a farmer whose daughter Mat molested or something); and also he's had very little to do with Whitecloaks. so that leaves Rand and Perrin, both of whom have lots of contact with the commoners and/or Whitecloaks and their sympathisers. my lovely wonderful omniscient and very handsome 'finns, please oh please tell me, if the ta'veeren in question is Rand? and if not, I'm hoping the combination of my flattery and the fact that it's the last question will soften your harsh rules and you'll tell me which of the other ta'veren it is.

WinespringBrother
05-21-2010, 03:53 PM
Ok, I think I've got a good question: the ta'veren that I'm on unfriendly terms with... I don't think it's Mat because he's been around dangerous sort of people most of the time, and everyone I can think of who is on unfriendly terms with him can definitely be classified as dangerous (although, I could be off here, it could be a farmer whose daughter Mat molested or something); and also he's had very little to do with Whitecloaks. so that leaves Rand and Perrin, both of whom have lots of contact with the commoners and/or Whitecloaks and their sympathisers. my lovely wonderful omniscient and very handsome 'finns, please oh please tell me, if the ta'veeren in question is Rand? and if not, I'm hoping the combination of my flattery and the fact that it's the last question will soften your harsh rules and you'll tell me which of the other ta'veren it is.

First of all, I must spread reputation around :/ but rep for being the brave one ;)

As for our harsh terms: :P

As for your question:

20. Am I on unfriendly terms with the Dragon Reborn?

* dun dun dun *

"No."

The Finns discuss your question and one of them eventually further elaborates. "You have never met the Dragon Reborn." Another one adds, "You almost met him though." A third one says "Missed him by that much." He holds his hand up and you see his thumb and forefinger are almost touching.

OOC: this is close to one of the questions I was thinking of, which ta'veren did I meet. note that this means that the DR isn't the ta'veren you met, so thats either Perrin or Mat (or both)
also, very good question!

"No more questions. Who are you?" Your fate awaits...

Sarevok
05-21-2010, 04:56 PM
Based on your remark about the accent, I made a search through the books for the word "accent"
NO ONE whose accent is remarked upon matches all criteria.
Three people would fit if not for the "aborted white-cloak scheme" you mentioned: Tammuz, Alvon and Theril.

WinespringBrother
05-21-2010, 06:38 PM
Based on your remark about the accent, I made a search through the books for the word "accent"
Three people would fit if not for the "aborted white-cloak scheme" you mentioned: Tammuz, Alvon and Theril.

I would say the accent isn't necessarily searchable, since unless you are listening to the audiobooks, you can't read the accent. But from context, his accent is as I described.

WinespringBrother
05-22-2010, 10:03 PM
Only 1 guess? I am really amazed! ;)

Nazbaque
05-23-2010, 06:21 AM
Didn't Niall or someone close to him plan to infiltrate the Illuminators? It's been quite a while since I last read the parts where he was still alive. If so Tammuz would fit all criteria.

GonzoTheGreat
05-23-2010, 07:36 AM
Niall's official spy master came up with that plan, but Niall shot it down. Since that spy master is now dead (after having killed Niall himself), it seems unlikely this the way to go.

JSUCamel
05-23-2010, 08:21 AM
Niall's official spy master came up with that plan, but Niall shot it down. Since that spy master is now dead (after having killed Niall himself), it seems unlikely this the way to go.

Why does that rule him out? Didn't the clue say he almost got snared in a Whitecloak scheme?

GonzoTheGreat
05-23-2010, 08:33 AM
Since there never was an actual scheme, only a (bad) idea from a joke spy master, I don't see how one can say that anyone at all almost got snared in it.

Based on the way it was mentioned, I got the idea that the scheme was more than just a figment of the imagination of a poser. I could be wrong, of course.

WinespringBrother
05-23-2010, 09:19 AM

Nicely done. Alvon doesn't match since he never came close to meeting the Dragon Reborn, and Theril is a teenager, so also doesn't meet the criteria. How did you find Tammuz, by the way?

Didn't Niall or someone close to him plan to infiltrate the Illuminators? It's been quite a while since I last read the parts where he was still alive. If so Tammuz would fit all criteria.

Why does that rule him out? Didn't the clue say he almost got snared in a Whitecloak scheme?

I was waiting for someone to remember this scene:

Lord of Chaos CHAPTER: 9 - Plans
You had these Illuminators brought to Amador?" Many would have flinched to hear such a cold tone from Pedron Niall, but not the man standing on the inlaid golden sunburst before Niall's plain high-backed chair. He exuded confidence and competence. Niall continued, "There is a reason I have two thousand of the Children guarding the border with Tarabon, Omerna. Tarabon is quarantined. No one is allowed across the border. Not a sparrow would cross if I had my way."

"If I may insist, my Lord Captain Commander, their usefulness is worth the little gossip they might spread. They keep to themselves. And aside from their use for my agents, the prestige of having an Illuminators' chapter house in Amador would be considerable. The only chapter house, now. The one in Cairhien has been abandoned, and the one in Tanchico surely has been, too."

Prestige! Niall rubbed his left eye to soothe an involuntary flutter. Little point in getting angry with Omerna, but restraint took an effort. The morning heat cooked his temper over a slow fire. "They do indeed keep to themselves, Omerna. They live with their own, travel with their own, and barely speak to anyone else. Do you mean to have these agents marry Illuminators? They rarely marry outside their guild, and there is no way to become an Illuminator except by birth."

So, if Tammuz was in Tarabon instead of Aringill (where we last saw him), he could have been one of the Illuminators brought to found the Amadician Chapter House if the plan was not shot down by Niall.

The Finns give you a piece of paper and a pen, telling you to sign your name on the bottom, which you do.

"You have earned your three rewards. Name them."

WinespringBrother
05-23-2010, 09:40 AM
You are:
male - obviously

not a child, teenager or elderly - seems apparent

without special abilities - seems apparent

a wetlander who was most likely (99%) born south of Tar Valon but your birth nation isn't known - Illuninators do travel around to give shows, plus we never see you on-screen in Tarabon

EDIT: a non-resident of the birth nation of your ancestors, which did not have any Ogier buildings in the main city of its current incarnation, which is in the west - that is, west of Lugard
EDIT: you probably grew up in your ancestor's home nation, based on your accent (unfortunately, this fact was not noted in the wot encyclopaedia which I was using for info about you) - there are several quotes to indicate that all Illuminators are from Tarabon, even those working in Cairhien. In his first appearance, Rand thinks he sounds just like Aludra. And he talks like Aludra, using the same sentence structure.

not fat

not wealthy or powerful,nor a beggar - he was apparently an apprentice Illuminator, even though he was wearing nice clothing, since he was ordered about by Aludra, and had to do the manual setup labor for the fireworks show in Cairhien.

not considered "dangerous" - he certainly got disposed of easily by Mat, along with his fellow goons

not a noted wearer of the fashions of your adopted or birth nations - I consider the veil that many Taraboners wear, and the hat that Juilin wears to be the main "unique" fashions to Tarabon, and he is not noted as wearing either. The baggy clothing he wore has also been seen on Tairens (and Sea Folk). And Rand noted that his clothing did not match that worn by people from Cairhien

not an extensive traveler but not a shut-in either - we see him once just outside the city Cairhien, and once in Aringill, a relatively short distance from Cairhien.

obsessed with some purpose - tracking down and punishing/eliminating Aludra

alive when the Dragon Reborn had his epiphany at Dragonmount - left alive by Mat

not in an army - he is a civilian

undeclared for the Dragon Reborn

*not a darkfriend EDIT: not a known darkfriend*

not a child of the light

not on friendly terms with any ta'veren

on unfriendly terms with at least one ta'veren - Mat and Thom were put out by him, since they had to leave their dry stable or else possibly have to explain themselves to the authorities.

You were:
taken/last seen in a country which has Ogier built buildings in its main city, which has been narrowed down to Andor, Cairhien, Tear, Illian and the city-nation of Tar Valon - Aringill is in Andor.

in an encounter with at least one ta'veren that made an as yet unknown but possibly notably huge impact on the pattern that is unfolding - your encounter with Mat ended up with Mat getting his hands on fireworks, and on cannons or other heavy artillery at some future point.

never an innkeeper or inn employee - though you did "work" in a stable that is connected to an inn ;)

You could have been:
entangled in a ill-wrought but aborted whitecloak scheme if you were in the right place and time - see above quotes, previous post

You are not:
Bayle Domon
Jaret Byar
Sebban Balwer

Sarevok
05-23-2010, 12:03 PM
Nicely done. Alvon doesn't match since he never came close to meeting the Dragon Reborn, and Theril is a teenager, so also doesn't meet the criteria. How did you find Tammuz, by the way?

Like I said, I searched through all mentions of the word "accent", and those three came up as fitting all criteria. I missed the "Was close to Rand" remark, or I could have said for certain right away.

WinespringBrother
05-23-2010, 05:47 PM
Like I said, I searched through all mentions of the word "accent", and those three came up as fitting all criteria. I missed the "Was close to Rand" remark, or I could have said for certain right away.

Cool, I didn't realize that his accent was mentioned in the text. Anyway, pick your rewards :)

tworiverswoman
05-24-2010, 04:03 AM
Congrats, Sare!! :D

Leanne
05-24-2010, 08:21 AM
Yep, I found him with the accent too. Don't remember why I didn't specifically choose him, but he was the only one I kept coming back to.

Good job Sare! Now I can rest easy.