PDA

View Full Version : How do you search?

Paraprosdokian
05-14-2010, 04:16 AM
How do you use the search function? Whenever I try searching for a string of words, it treats it like an "OR"

Eg. IF I search for [male, dreamer], it treats it as male OR dreamer. If I type "male and dreamer" it treats it like male or and or dreamer. Which is distinctly unhelpful.

Oh, and first post. (*unenthused yay*)

GonzoTheGreat
05-14-2010, 04:29 AM
Welcome to the board, SpammerToo.

In answer to your question (which I sure thought was an attempt to sell us a "new search engine"), I do not really know. Sometimes it helps to use quotes, so that you could try "male dreamer", but as far as I can remember, that doesn't really help with the searches on this board. Maybe someone else can help better.

Paraprosdokian
05-14-2010, 04:43 AM
Assuredly not my friend, for what I offer cannot be described as a mere 'search engine' any more than a Ferrari can be called a automated carriage.

What I offer parses every search using a secret algorithm with 7 herbs and spices none of which is arsenic.

I call it 'Google'

And its yours for the cheap, cheap price of only $112.1b. USD only.

Regards,

Sergei

DahLliA
05-14-2010, 09:32 AM
Assuredly not my friend, for what I offer cannot be described as a mere 'search engine' any more than a Ferrari can be called a automated carriage.

What I offer parses every search using a secret algorithm with 7 herbs and spices none of which is arsenic.

I call it 'Google'

Regards,

Sergei

where do I sign up? :o

oh. and welcome ^_^

Sei'taer
05-14-2010, 09:32 AM

I call it 'Google'

Regards,

Sergei

Would have been better had you signed it Colonel Mumbabe of Nigeria, director of finance.

Anyway, I can't answer your question either, but someone wise in the ways of Theoryland search will be along soon and they'll be incredibly helpful.

Never ask Gonzo for money. The mans a tightwad in every sense of the word.

GonzoTheGreat
05-14-2010, 10:12 AM
Don't listen to Sei, he just has no head for international finance. If you simply send me $0.03b USD first for handling some administrative details on my side first, then I'm sure we can have a very profitable deal.

yks 6nnetu hing
05-14-2010, 10:21 AM
hi Sergo - or do you prefer Seryozha?

I'm sure I have no idea... but maybe Camel does. Or Tam. or someone.

but in the mean while, welcome!

JSUCamel
05-14-2010, 10:29 AM
hi Sergo - or do you prefer Seryozha?

I'm sure I have no idea... but maybe Camel does. Or Tam. or someone.

but in the mean while, welcome!

My search engine (wotdb.com) is more for character-related searches based on facts from the books. Since there are no known male Dreamers, it is highly improbable that it would return any hits. Your best shot would be Tam's search engine, which you can access if you sign up for a trial account, and if you want permanent access, become a member. Another option is to buy the ebooks and search through those.

Wish I could help more :)

GonzoTheGreat
05-14-2010, 10:42 AM
I think that he means searching the forums here, to see whether or not the subject has been debated previously, and if so, what the results of the discussion were.

Terez
05-14-2010, 10:50 AM
Are you using advanced search? I haven't had many problems with it, but I do know that if you want to find stuff, you need to use advanced search, and order results by relevance.

Paraprosdokian
05-14-2010, 08:27 PM
Ah! Sort by relevance. That's the trick I needed to use. Thanks.

JSUCamel
05-14-2010, 09:00 PM
I think that he means searching the forums here, to see whether or not the subject has been debated previously, and if so, what the results of the discussion were.

Of course :) Yks merely suggested that I might know more, and so I offered what resources with which I'm familiar. I don't make use of the forum search often, or I might have given more relevant assistance. Glad he figured it out though. :)

GonzoTheGreat
05-15-2010, 04:10 AM
Well, Terez figured it out, and he followed her advice. Camel, you should've learned the lesson in Genesis: always blame any girl present for whatever happens.

irerancincpkc
05-21-2010, 09:59 AM
Welcome to the board, SpammerToo.

Hehe, I have a following now... :D

Welcome to Theoryland!

Terez
05-21-2010, 05:37 PM
Ah! Sort by relevance. That's the trick I needed to use. Thanks.
No prob. Took me a slight bit to figure that out myself; the search used to order results by relevance automatically. I guess that more people decided that date was most important, or something.