PDA

View Full Version : Did TGS give us enough new theories?

Tercel
05-17-2010, 08:23 PM
While I loved the book, it seems to have been a bit of a flop as far as new theories are concerned.

I am personally inclined to believe that Brandon Sanderson just doesn't have Jordan's touch when it comes to making his readers theorize. Sanderson seems to have loved giving us all the answers, but hasn't given us new questions to the same degree, which have caused the tumbleweed to roll a bit across these boards.

Of course, some might argue that these are the last books in the series and it's too late to introduce new forshadowings and new things to theorize about. But I say 'bah' to that - there are two big whopping books still to go, and there's nothing difficult about introducing forshadowings in one book to be theorized about and revealed in the next.

What do you guys think? Were you dissappointed by not having more to theorize about and discuss in TGS?

JSUCamel
05-17-2010, 08:27 PM
While I loved the book, it seems to have been a bit of a flop as far as new theories are concerned.

I am personally inclined to believe that Brandon Sanderson just doesn't have Jordan's touch when it comes to making his readers theorize. Sanderson seems to have loved giving us all the answers, but hasn't given us new questions to the same degree, which have caused the tumbleweed to roll a bit across these boards.

Of course, some might argue that these are the last books in the series and it's too late to introduce new forshadowings and new things to theorize about. But I say 'bah' to that - there are two big whopping books still to go, and there's nothing difficult about introducing forshadowings in one book to be theorized about and revealed in the next.

What do you guys think? Were you dissappointed by not having more to theorize about and discuss in TGS?

I don't think there's really a need for new theories. We've got plenty of additional information to assist with older theories and fresh looks at old theories. I think Brandon did a fine job, but I guess you can consider me one of those who think that adding too many new mysteries would be counterproductive at this point.. :)

Terez
05-17-2010, 08:27 PM
There's a great deal to play with in TGS. Brandon has to be careful not to reveal too much at this point in the game, or we could figure out everything. I think there were more tidbits to play with in TGS than there were in KoD.

Also, the title of this thread is a tad bit over-dramatic, don't you think? Way to support the new author.

Tercel
05-17-2010, 08:35 PM
Also, the title of this thread is a tad bit over-dramatic, don't you think?:D I like over-dramatic. :cool:
But I realized that the poll question was phrased oppositely to the thread title, so I have now changed the thread title to bring it into line with the poll question.

There's a poll now, so vote away...

Leanne
05-18-2010, 07:59 AM
There is no choice for "He did an awesome job, we don't need a lot of NEW theories."

It appears to me everyone has plenty to discuss, so I don't see a problem. I mean, we have two books left and a lot of open plot lines as it is, what more do you want??? Like Terez said, he has to be careful not to spoil everything, especially with the splits of the book.

Neilbert
05-18-2010, 09:04 AM
You would sort of expect the new major theories to start dropping off toward this point in the series regardless.

I think Camel and Terez have the right take on things.

Jokeslayer
05-18-2010, 10:42 AM
1) The number of theories will inevitably drop as we reach the end of the series

2) The purpose of the series is not to provide material for theories. That's just a happy extra.

Adara
05-19-2010, 03:16 AM
I thought this games name was changed to just quantum, did they put the Tecmo team will give us a nice polished finished product. I certainly hope this game can be delayed long enough to add I expect nothing less than new games.

greatwolf
05-24-2010, 05:58 AM
You would sort of expect the new major theories to start dropping off toward this point in the series regardless.

I think Camel and Terez have the right take on things.

Sometimes the opposite happens. As the climax nears, things enter fever pitch and crazy wacky theories abound as to how it will end.

But it might be our perception. BS has said that there'll be no surprises for the hcff community. I think that might also make us take him too literally. For instance, many of us have complained about the "do the math" line. But if RJ had inserted that, would we be making theories about time travel or bubbles of evil?

Oatman
05-24-2010, 06:55 AM
As the climax nears, things enter fever pitch and crazy wacky theories abound as to how it will end.

I choose to take that out of context.

Leanne
05-24-2010, 08:25 AM
BS has said that there'll be no surprises for the hcff community. I

When did he say that? I seem to remember quite the opposite actually.

FelixPax
05-24-2010, 04:52 PM
I am personally inclined to believe that Brandon Sanderson just doesn't have Jordan's touch when it comes to making his readers theorize.

At first I thought this as well, however I have radically changed my view on this point.

Sanderson seems to have loved giving us all the answers, but hasn't given us new questions to the same degree,

I disagree.

Of course, some might argue that these are the last books in the series and it's too late to introduce new forshadowings and new things to theorize about.

Did you not read tGS? :confused: Sounds as if you have missed what clues were given, hints of the future, and lack a sense of where things are going in the series next.

Shrug, personally I've created 5+ new theories post-TGS, so I'm content with Brandon's writing.

Yet Theoryland Forum for the most part does not want to listen to my theories about Valan Luca, Daughter of the Night, Callandor, Mat, Elayne, Amathera, 'A Doorway to Hell'....