PDA

View Full Version : Saved by Ninja's

Oatman
05-19-2010, 05:56 PM
in Sydney (http://news.ninemsn.com.au/national/1054639/sydney-ninjas-rescue-student-from-attackers)

Had you asked me before, I would have said Sydney had a noticable lack of Ninja's. Now I know I just couldn't see them. Because they are Ninja's.

Jokeslayer
05-19-2010, 06:09 PM
Ninja's what?

JSUCamel
05-19-2010, 07:55 PM
Ninja's what?

Yeah, saved by Ninja's what? (damn you, sir, for beating me to this)

Terez
05-19-2010, 08:07 PM
Ninja's what? (just joining the 'this was my first reaction' club)

Birgitte
05-19-2010, 10:09 PM
Don't listen to them, Oaty. It's awesome, even if an apostrophe got to a place it had no business being.

Awesome. lol

Sinistrum
05-19-2010, 11:02 PM
And now a public service message to everyone who nitpicked spelling in this thread.

http://www.f150online.com/forums/members/johnnyd2723-albums-ohio-meet-8-09-picture43535-grammar-nazi2.jpg

We now return you to your regularly scheduled thread which is FUCKING AWESOME because it has actual ninjas fighting crime.

GonzoTheGreat
05-20-2010, 03:20 AM
I suspect that Australia is suffering rather badly from Global Warming. I mean, if ninjas dare come out into the open that blatantly, then it is probable that the pirate density there is very low.

Jokeslayer
05-20-2010, 07:42 AM
And now a public service message to everyone who nitpicked spelling in this thread.

Pretty sure I was nitpicking grammar rather than spelling. I'm not sure what I'm nitpicking now.

Yellowbeard
05-20-2010, 09:15 AM
Did you know most ninja never actually wore the black outfit? The wore disguises to blend in and looked like peasants and farmers.

The black outfit myth developed because when they would put on a show or a play, they would have people in the black outfit on stage, pulling ropes and what not as part of the production during the actual acting. The idea was for the audience to know that they weren't part of the show and were to be ignored like they weren't there. Occasionally, as part of a tragedy or something, one the black suited person would actually take part and pretend to murder an actor or steal something and it was implied that it was a mystery and the characters in the play didn't know who did it.

Somehow, over the years, that has morphed into today's myth of the ninja wearing a black uniform and hood, which is ridiculous because they were trying to avoid notice in what they did, and one way to be sure to be noticed is to wear something that stands out that badly! If you're spotted, wearing that black suit would be a sure giveaway!

yks 6nnetu hing
05-20-2010, 09:37 AM
Pretty sure I was nitpicking grammar rather than spelling. I'm not sure what I'm nitpicking now.

I think that would be semantics.

JSUCamel
05-20-2010, 09:44 AM

Or lawyers.

yks 6nnetu hing
05-20-2010, 09:55 AM
Or lawyers.

well, lawyers are usually "who" not "what".

GonzoTheGreat
05-20-2010, 09:56 AM
well, lawyers are usually "who" not "what".Are you now nitpicking an anti-lawyer?

yks 6nnetu hing
05-20-2010, 10:07 AM
Are you now nitpicking an anti-lawyer?

er... the opposite of "what" is not "who". The opposite of both of them is a vacuum. Camel is not vacuum, Camel is Camel.

so, no, I was not nitpicking anti-lawyer.

Sinistrum
05-20-2010, 12:18 PM
Those of you who are still engaged in irrelevant, boring, and annoying nitpicking when you could be talking about the awesomeness of real life ninjas, please refer to the picture above. Here is some additional material if you need help grasping the concept it attempts to illustrate.

http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs25/f/2008/137/f/7/Demotivator__No_One_Cares_by_Mikenator700.jpg

Jokeslayer
05-20-2010, 01:25 PM
Your care-o-meter appears to need recalibrating.

JSUCamel
05-20-2010, 02:13 PM
Your care-o-meter appears to need recalibrating.

I won't even mention the grammar lessons it needs...

Anaiya Sedai
05-20-2010, 02:38 PM
and the spelling.

Just to jump on the bandwagon. (http://theoatmeal.com/comics/apostrophe)

Back to the ninjas: Awesome.

Nazbaque
05-20-2010, 02:51 PM
I was starting to wonder if the writter could write a sentence without using the word "allegedly".

yks 6nnetu hing
05-21-2010, 01:52 AM
Those of you who are still engaged in irrelevant, boring, and annoying nitpicking when you could be talking about the awesomeness of real life ninjas, please refer to the picture above. Here is some additional material if you need help grasping the concept it attempts to illustrate.

the pic is logically inconsistent. What you want to say is, I'm assuming, YOU don't care and perhaps a lot of other people as well.

Because if:
no-one cares about nit-picking
Gonzo, me, Camel, Jokesy etc. do care about nit-pickig, therefore we are no-one
no-one is perfect
therefore your pic just said that all the nit-pickers are perfect.

with my perfect judgement I decree you are a spoilsport.

Frenzy
05-21-2010, 02:27 AM
Or lawyers.
Now you're just being Anti-semantic. :p

Terez
05-21-2010, 03:25 AM
the pic is logically inconsistent. What you want to say is, I'm assuming, YOU don't care and perhaps a lot of other people as well.

Because if:
no-one cares about nit-picking
Gonzo, me, Camel, Jokesy etc. do care about nit-picking, therefore we are no-one
no-one is perfect
therefore your pic just said that all the nit-pickers are perfect.

with my perfect judgment I decree you are a spoilsport.
Fixed.

This doesn't jibe with Taer's rep nobodies. In fact, all of the no-ones you listed are somebodies by Taer's reckoning (including etc.). I guess nobodies and no-ones are different beasts.

GonzoTheGreat
05-21-2010, 03:50 AM
All beasts are equal, though some are more equal than others.

Nazbaque
05-21-2010, 04:32 AM
In fact even Sini cares. He cares enough to claim that no-one cares. His caring is on the negative side, not at zero. Even his care-o-meter agrees with this as it is not pointing at zero but below it.

Jokeslayer
05-21-2010, 06:12 AM
Jokesy

Wait what?

GonzoTheGreat
05-21-2010, 06:33 AM
All the letters appear in your full name, even in the order in which yks used them, so it seems a perfectly reasonable abbreviation.

yks 6nnetu hing
05-21-2010, 06:39 AM
Wait what?

Jokesy: brought to you by the inventor of the abbreviation Callie for Callandor. Which, curiously, sounds like the word for "hug" in my language.

Sei'taer
05-21-2010, 07:17 AM
Duhr de duhr!!!

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i187/seitaer9/duhrdeduhr.jpg

What?

DahLliA
05-21-2010, 07:37 AM
I'm pretty sure I prefer black-clad ninjas to the real ones

http://www.projectmojave.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/05/sexy-ninja.jpg

Sinistrum
05-21-2010, 12:55 PM
Ugh. This thread has officially failed. And it had so much promise too. So please continue your mundane and sad discussion of grammar. Those of us who like to talk about actual awesome and entertaining things, like real ninjas fighting crime, I guess can do so somewhere else.

Terez
05-21-2010, 04:46 PM
Dahl posted a picture of a bikini-clad ninja and you're still bitching? What is wrong with you?

Sinistrum
05-21-2010, 05:35 PM
The grammar nazis have put it in the oven of entertainment. Even something as awesome as that is ashes in my mouth thanks to them. They ruin everything.

JSUCamel
05-21-2010, 07:54 PM
The grammar nazis have put it in the oven of entertainment. Even something as awesome as that is ashes in my mouth thanks to them. They ruin everything.

If you think we're bad, wait til you meet the legal nazis... oh wait...

Terez
05-21-2010, 11:07 PM
Sounds like a case of childhood trauma to me. Where is Ivhon when you need him?

Frenzy
05-22-2010, 12:44 AM
Sounds like a case of childhood trauma to me. Where is Ivhon when you need him?

In the oven, duh.

Terez
05-22-2010, 12:52 AM
Did Sini Godwin the thread, or did Frenzy?

Frenzy
05-22-2010, 01:36 AM
it's dead, but i don't think it was Godwin'd. Close, though.

Terez
05-22-2010, 02:21 AM
It's not dead so long as people are still posting on it. We've been known to get wildly off topic before.

Nazbaque
05-22-2010, 06:39 AM
I'm pretty sure I prefer black-clad ninjas to the real ones

http://www.projectmojave.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/05/sexy-ninja.jpg
okay this is weird but I could swear I've seen her before.

GonzoTheGreat
05-22-2010, 10:21 AM
Somehow I would think you would've remembered if you'd ever found that in your bedroom.

Frenzy
05-22-2010, 11:24 AM
We've been known to get wildly off topic before.
Yes, some of us do that alot.

Nazbaque
05-22-2010, 11:56 AM
Somehow I would think you would've remembered if you'd ever found that in your bedroom.
I said it was weird, didn't I. I'm pretty sure it wasn't in my bedroom, but what do I know about mysterious ninja powers.

jason wolfbrother
05-22-2010, 01:40 PM
hey leave the poor alot alone. he's already traumatized.

Jokeslayer
05-23-2010, 06:58 AM
Ugh. This thread has officially failed. And it had so much promise too. So please continue your mundane and sad discussion of grammar. Those of us who like to talk about actual awesome and entertaining things, like real ninjas fighting crime, I guess can do so somewhere else.

AFAIK the guy didn't get his stuff back, so the so-called ninjas just helped the muggers run away a bit faster. Yeah, that's awesome.

Sinistrum
05-23-2010, 09:40 AM
AFAIK the guy didn't get his stuff back, so the so-called ninjas just helped the muggers run away a bit faster. Yeah, that's awesome.

First off, they also saved his ass from a royal beat down and scared the shit out of his attackers. Second off, even if your characterization was true, it still means the story is a hell of a lot more awesome to read and talk about than you, Camel, and Gonzo nitpicking grammar and other insignificant details.

GonzoTheGreat
05-23-2010, 09:49 AM
Then why don't you go reread the story and stop annoying us with your interruptions?

I mean, if there are any new developments (ninjas hired to provide mall security, for instance) that would be interesting to hear and discuss, but for now it seems there's no news on the western ninja front.

DahLliA
05-23-2010, 05:53 PM
just to keep it going(no I didn't have these bookmarked)

http://www.xtremefootwear.co.uk/ccp51/media/images/product_category/5842_Costume.jpg

Jokeslayer
05-23-2010, 06:01 PM
First off, they also saved his ass from a royal beat down and scared the shit out of his attackers. Second off, even if your characterization was true, it still means the story is a hell of a lot more awesome to read and talk about than you, Camel, and Gonzo nitpicking grammar and other insignificant details.

The weight of public opinion seems to disagree with you.

Sinistrum
05-23-2010, 08:11 PM
The weight of public opinion seems to disagree with you.

That's ok. It is just another example of how popular and stupid are generally synonymous.

JSUCamel
05-23-2010, 09:51 PM
That's ok. It is just another example of how popular and stupid are generally synonymous.

I heard it was "lawyers" and "stupid" that were generally synonymous.

Sinistrum
05-23-2010, 10:10 PM
I don't think that is the case. In fact its the exact opposite. I mean, I'm pretty much the only one that has noticed that Oatman hasn't posted a single response since the first post in this thread essentially amounted to "you're a dumbass because you had a common splice in your title even though what you were trying to communicate was still abundantly clear. Look at how smart I am for pointing that at." I'm pretty sure it never occurred to you how smug, arrogant, elitist, insulting, and generally irritating being a grammar nazi truly is. And that is pretty goddamn stupid of you.

JSUCamel
05-23-2010, 10:34 PM
I don't think that is the case. In fact its the exact opposite. I mean, I'm pretty much the only one that has noticed that Oatman hasn't posted a single response since the first post in this thread essentially amounted to "you're a dumbass because you had a common splice in your title even though what you were trying to communicate was still abundantly clear. Look at how smart I am for pointing that at." I'm pretty sure it never occurred to you how smug, arrogant, elitist, insulting, and generally irritating being a grammar nazi truly is. And that is pretty goddamn stupid of you.

First of all, it's an apostrophe, not a "common" splice. Second, it's probably more likely that Oatman hasn't posted because he doesn't post very often. And I could point out how your smug, arrogant, elitist, insulting, and generally irritating being a law nazi truly is (hypocrite much?), but I won't, because that's a different thread altogether.

Take a chill pill and relax. It's all fun and games, man.

Sinistrum
05-23-2010, 10:43 PM
Take a chill pill and relax. It's all fun and games, man.

I will if you will take one about grammar. Fun and games and people nagging about grammar are mutually exclusive.

And I could point out how your smug, arrogant, elitist, insulting, and generally irritating being a law nazi truly is (hypocrite much?),

Oh gee, I'm so terribly sorry that I contribute actual correct points of law to discussions about LAW (the most recent examples of which were the sex offender and immigration threads). That's entirely the same thing as harping on people's grammar and thereby derailing topics that absolutely NOTHING to do with grammar. :rolleyes:

Oatman
05-24-2010, 01:09 AM
I made a grammar mistake in my thread title. Oh damn, my internet reputation is ruined and my life is totally over now. What shall I do?
Thanks for defending me Sini, I really do appreciate it, but I've been around long enough to know what this thread would inevitably become after that mistake. I had hoped that the awesomness of a real life ninja story would have taken precedence over a mistake, but apprantly repeatedly pointing out the same mistake is more interesting then ninjas. I personally prefer the ninja story, but I have been told I'm strange from multiple sources.
Anyway, I would have replied before now if the thread had been about ninjas rather than grammar nazi-ing, but thats because of the previously mentioned preference for ninja talk, and a general lack of interest in replying to threads concerning grammar, not because I was particularly insulted or traumatised.
To Sini and the others who enjoyed the story despite my inability to use a ' correctly, and glad you liked it to.

Frenzy
05-24-2010, 01:57 AM
Can we have more ninja boobs now please?

Oatman
05-24-2010, 01:59 AM
seconded

edit: In hindsight, I should have expected the results I got from a google image search of 'ninja boobs' would not be what I was expecting.

Terez
05-24-2010, 03:38 AM
I made a grammar mistake in my thread title. Oh damn, my internet reputation is ruined and my life is totally over now. What shall I do?
Thanks for defending me Sini, I really do appreciate it, but I've been around long enough to know what this thread would inevitably become after that mistake. I had hoped that the awesomEness of a real life ninja story would have taken precedence over a mistake, but appArEntly repeatedly pointing out the same mistake is more interesting then ninjas. I personally prefer the ninja story, but I have been told I'm strange from multiple sources.
I have this mental image of you fighting to not use an apostrophe there.
Anyway, I would have replied before now if the thread had been about ninjas rather than grammar nazi-ing, but thats because of the previously mentioned preference for ninja talk, and a general lack of interest in replying to threads concerning grammar, not because I was particularly insulted or traumatised.
It seems to have adversely affected your ability to use apostrophes when they're actually required.
To Sini and the others who enjoyed the story despite my inability to use a ' correctly, and glad you liked it to.
He liked it to what?

Jokeslayer
05-24-2010, 07:11 AM
Look at how smart I am for pointing that at.

I think you mean pointing that out.

Also, the story wasn't that awesome, and certainly not as awesome as its title was pretending. Plus there isn't really much to discuss.

Crispin's Crispian
05-24-2010, 10:38 AM
I think you mean pointing that out.

Also, the story wasn't that awesome, and certainly not as awesome as its title was pretending. Plus there isn't really much to discuss.

How about the fact that there is actually a ninja dojo where people practice in their ninja uniforms. That's pretty cool.

Or the fact that these ninjas bucked the trend and didn't kill everyone on the street. That's interesting.

All of that leads to a discussion of how, with an increase in ninja popularity and profile, we may be seeing a correlating decrease in ninja lethality. Prior to the discovery of Real Ultimate Power, ninjitsu was reserved for the truly powerful and ruthless. Now we see ninjas popping up everywhere and they don't even kill people. And the fact that we see them at all should be troubling.

Sinistrum
05-24-2010, 01:05 PM
All of that leads to a discussion of how, with an increase in ninja popularity and profile, we may be seeing a correlating decrease in ninja lethality. Prior to the discovery of Real Ultimate Power, ninjitsu was reserved for the truly powerful and ruthless. Now we see ninjas popping up everywhere and they don't even kill people. And the fact that we see them at all should be troubling.

I know I'm terribly disturbed by the increase in ninja visability. It also might have something to do withthe midi version of Big Pimpin on realultimatepower. It also begs the question about the impact of that website on hippo lethality too.

Belazamon
05-24-2010, 01:20 PM
For what it's worth, I enjoyed both the story and the Grammar Naziing.

But by all means, let's fight about it. Possibly we could dress as ninja's.

:D

Sei'taer
05-24-2010, 05:03 PM

Just put my black pajamas in the wash. Can I get back to you later?

Can't seem to find my throwingstarofDavidalmightyGodthat'sfrickinSharpTv guide(Tibetan)tothetopofthemonkeytreepoopthrowings tar...

Did you know the Viet Cong rubbed doo on punji sticks to make them more lethal?

Firseal
05-24-2010, 05:18 PM

Well, let's do both. We can fight about it like ninjas, even. With stealth.

Oh, and this is the second time I've written this goddang post. So this will be shorter.

Frenzy requested more sexy ninjas, and I went to Google to fulfill her request. It gave me sexy Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle pictures. Not (http://blog.costumecraze.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/sexy-teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-costume-1.jpg) really (http://blog.costumecraze.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/sexy-teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-costume-2.jpg) kidding (http://blog.costumecraze.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/sexy-teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-costume-3.jpg).

It also eventually gave me a picture of singer Chiara dressed like a sexy ninja, but I've lost that link due to Theoryland sticking it's tongue out at me.

Everything else I found was a tad... risque. And I don't know how far I can go with that sort of thing. Cough.
http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs8/i/2006/163/3/b/Crazy_Horse__print_offering_by_lithiumpicnic.jpg

Moreover, unless we want to be totally overrun with ninja, we need some pirates around here.
http://fc04.deviantart.net/fs21/f/2007/236/d/0/Pirate_by_hallopino.jpg

And grammar fanatics? A post written secondhand with no editing. Go to town.

DahLliA
05-24-2010, 06:18 PM
Can we have more ninja boobs now please?

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_sBLxX3sph8M/SKLpm-khiTI/AAAAAAAADfw/CkIivGnfR3I/s400/renn24.jpg

http://www.nothingbutcostumes.com/images/rubies/7666-Sexy-Ninja-w-Hood.jpg

http://27.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_kt39dhOL6K1qa25x9o1_400.jpg

http://deadpixelsontoast.files.wordpress.com/2009/11/story-book-09050-sexy-pirate.jpg

gotta say google favors pirates

Firseal
05-24-2010, 06:23 PM
gotta say google favors pirates

Which is why after a page of their images, I instead loaded a large, popular art site with photography and cosplay sections.

Hence the overload of galleries, and the resulting dilemma over how risque I could go.

Sei'taer
05-24-2010, 07:10 PM
Chick in the blue bikini needs a little help with the bikini line...just sayin'

yks 6nnetu hing
05-25-2010, 02:53 AM
I think the main reason I wasn't that impressed with the original story is that I kept trying to picture the kind of guy who would spend money and effort on ninja-training. And outfit. Probably a good idea that the kimono is loose-fitting and has long sleeves 'cause the guys were probably total nerds. Either that or they were some crazy uber-machos - even worse than that really ripped guy in your local gym.

And no, a kimono is not just a bathrobe or an Asian version of a dress:

http://www.karateklubi.ee/pic/Demo_5.jpg

I should know, I've ironed my brother's kimono alot. He's the one with the red gloves, btw.

Jokeslayer
05-25-2010, 07:31 AM

Dress as ninja's what?

GonzoTheGreat
05-25-2010, 07:57 AM
Dress as ninja's what?Rep'd!

JSUCamel
05-25-2010, 08:22 AM
I should know, I've ironed my brother's kimono alot. He's the one with the red gloves, btw.

Poor alot :(

Belazamon
05-25-2010, 02:34 PM
I should know, I've ironed my brother's kimono alot.Poor alot :(
I disagree. A ninja kimono alot? You'd never see him coming.

GonzoTheGreat
05-25-2010, 02:44 PM
Yeah, but it isn't a kimono, it is a gi. So still: poor alot.

Brita
05-25-2010, 02:56 PM
I had hoped that the awesomness of a real life ninja story would have taken precedence over a mistake, but apprantly repeatedly pointing out the same mistake is more interesting then ninjas.

Then the ninjas what? What did they do?
I couldn't resist. Don't hate me Sini.

Firseal
05-25-2010, 11:21 PM
Then the ninjas what? What did they do?
I couldn't resist. Don't hate me Sini.

You've fallen for one of the classic blunders! The most well known is never get involved in a land war in Asia, but only slightly less known is 'then ninjas'. It is used by authors when they can't solve a problem, so instead a ninja kills a key character and everything gets better.

So obviously, there at the end of that sentence Oatman was attacked by ninjas midway through the thought. He only had time to try and warn the rest of us.

Ishara
05-28-2010, 09:10 PM
I think the main reason I wasn't that impressed with the original story is that I kept trying to picture the kind of guy who would spend money and effort on ninja-training. And outfit. Probably a good idea that the kimono is loose-fitting and has long sleeves 'cause the guys were probably total nerds. Either that or they were some crazy uber-machos - even worse than that really ripped guy in your local gym.

And no, a kimono is not just a bathrobe or an Asian version of a dress:

http://www.karateklubi.ee/pic/Demo_5.jpg

Yeah, but it isn't a kimono, it is a gi. So still: poor alot.

This. Sorry, my friend.