PDA

View Full Version : Just something to consider the next time you go to Fedex Office

Sinistrum
05-20-2010, 01:19 PM
http://www.wimp.com/copymachines/

pops taer
05-20-2010, 01:40 PM
Having worked in sales of copiers, faxes and related equipment several years back none of this surprises me. I was, however, under the impression that any time a used copier/fax with built in hard drive was re-built and sold the hard drive was to be replaced before the sale. I know the company I sold for has been doing that for some time. Absolutely amazing how "unsafe" our history is isn't it. Technology is wonderful, eh????

Ivhon
05-20-2010, 01:50 PM
2 questions:

1. Since I was in the 60% who did not know about that, what can I do to delete images off of a public digital copy machine?

2. Given this report, why do we blithely ignore the security risks of electronic voting machines?

Belazamon
05-20-2010, 04:19 PM
http://www.wimp.com/copymachines/
This is why I change my social security number every six months.

Yellowbeard
05-20-2010, 05:10 PM
imagine how many pics you get of butts and boobs from people making photocopies of them.

Sei'taer
05-20-2010, 05:20 PM
2 questions:

1. Since I was in the 60% who did not know about that, what can I do to delete images off of a public digital copy machine?

2. Given this report, why do we blithely ignore the security risks of electronic voting machines?

What, you want us to write on paper or something? My hand gets all crampy when I do that. Can't we just text our vote in like American Idol?

Sarevok
05-20-2010, 06:29 PM
2 questions:

You? Apart from telling the relevant important people about it, not much, I think.

tworiverswoman
05-20-2010, 09:46 PM
Yikes. I can say I'm also in the 60% -- I'm actually convinced this number should be MUCH higher.

Why in hell does a photocopier NEED a hard drive big enough to retain this much imagery, anyway? I can see that modern ones might be expected to photocopy a mega-page document from time to time, but given the small size of most BOOK text files, I would think they could get away with really SMALL hard-drives, like maybe 20MB at most. That doesn't really solve the problem, but if they filled up and needed to be purged, more people would KNOW about this issue.

Weird Harold
05-20-2010, 10:29 PM
... but given the small size of most BOOK text files, I would think they could get away with really SMALL hard-drives, like maybe 20MB at most.

Photocopiers and fax machines don't deal with text files, they deal with uncompressed, "lossless," high-resolution image files. Faxes are (or at least used to be) a format called TIFF, or Tagged Image Format File. TIFF files are smaller than simple bitmap files, but bigger than GIF and much bigger than JPeG format versions of the same image.

Second, have you tried to buy a hard-drive -- or even a thumb drive/SD memory chip -- smaller than One GB lately? Nobody makes any mass storage today that is smaller than 256MB and that is likely to be a very cheap generic MP3 player or digital camera, if you can find one. I don't think I've seen a HDD smaller than 120GB advertised anywhere in the last few years.

The big concern I have over this issue is that the publicity is going to lead to a run on stolen fax/copiers from copy centers, insurance companies and medical billing services, and the like by would-be identity thieves.

GonzoTheGreat
05-21-2010, 04:01 AM

2. Given this report, why do we blithely ignore the security risks of electronic voting machines?1. Do not use public copy machines. (I think it's pretty safe to use an analog public copy machine, but finding one nowadays might be a bit of a hassle.)

2. What difference does it make how it is decided who you should vote for?

JSUCamel
05-21-2010, 08:53 AM
2. What difference does it make how it is decided who you should vote for?

A) The machine doesn't decide who I vote for, it just stores my vote.

B) Voting is supposed to be a private issue, but if any Joe Schmoe can access the hard drive and see my vote, that's not cool.

C) If someone knew how, they could steal or wipe the hard drive in the machine (with, say, a sufficiently strong magnet).

Though it occurs to me that all of the above could happen with paper ballots as well. I'm more concerned with software glitches PLUS human error when dealing with voting machines, as opposed to JUST human error with paper ballots.

GonzoTheGreat
05-21-2010, 09:39 AM
A) The machine doesn't decide who I vote for, it just stores my vote.That's what they tell you. Of course, the software which supposedly registers who you vote for is secret, so you aren't allowed to know whether or not it correctly registers what you pressed.

B) Voting is supposed to be a private issue, but if any Joe Schmoe can access the hard drive and see my vote, that's not cool.That average Joe Schmoe is usually not nearly as frightening as the government ones, who have better equipment for reading the contents of the hard drive anyways.

C) If someone knew how, they could steal or wipe the hard drive in the machine (with, say, a sufficiently strong magnet).With the Dutch voting machines, it turned out to be possible to read what someone was voting at the moment he did, from a number of yards away. So in many polling stations, the one doing the reading could be outside, or in another room. When that was proven beyond unreasonable doubt (the reasonable doubt wasn't enough, but eventually even the politicians couldn't pretend to ignore the evidence) the machines were phased out again, and now we're back to using red pencils.