PDA

View Full Version : N Korea's submarine attack on S Korean Naval Vessel

Yellowbeard
05-20-2010, 02:11 PM
Haven't seen anyone comment on this so far. It appears that the South Korean ship that blew up and sunk a little while back was torpedoed by a North Korean submarine.

Was wondering what people here thought of it?

My own personal opinion is that a joint ROK/US strike on their naval bases that they operate their submarines from would be in order, or at least let the North Korean subs play cat and mouse with a few Seawolf or 688 type US attack subs instead of South Korean patrol boats.

Davian93
05-20-2010, 02:13 PM
Kim Jong Il is Ronely...So Ronely.

http://www.dvorak.org/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/kim-jong-il-in-team-america.jpg

Basel Gill
05-20-2010, 02:25 PM
A retalliation would be in order, IMO, however with the U.S. in the middle of all the mess in the Middle East, trillions of dollars in debt, Europe about to have a melt down and the ever popular world opinion against anything American, I would assume that immediate military action could have some serious, unforeseen and far reaching problems. I wouldn't want to make the call on this one...

Yellowbeard
05-20-2010, 03:00 PM
So having the USS Seawolf stalk and quietly sink the North Korean submarine fleet might not be a bad option, eh? We can deny involvement all we want in the disappearance of all their subs, and since a Seawolf is quieter than the ambiant noise surrounding it in the ocean...they'll never know it's lurking.

Basel Gill
05-20-2010, 03:02 PM
So having the USS Seawolf stalk and quietly sink the North Korean submarine fleet might not be a bad option, eh? We can deny involvement all we want in the disappearance of all their subs, and since a Seawolf is quieter than the ambiant noise surrounding it in the ocean...they'll never know it's lurking.

Ok. Works for me then.

I'm so wishy-washy. :D

Davian93
05-20-2010, 03:44 PM
Nuke them from orbit...its the only way to make sure we get them all.

Sinistrum
05-20-2010, 03:46 PM
Nuke them from orbit...its the only way to make sure we get them all.

WWERD?

Basel Gill
05-20-2010, 03:48 PM
Well not to be picky, but Corporal Hicks thought of it first, then Ripley stole his idea because she thought they were going to get funky later on in the ship...

Yellowbeard
05-20-2010, 04:09 PM
i always wondered why ripley didn't nuke the crashed alien ship where the aliens were originally found to begin with after she blew the queen out of the airlock.

oh wait...no more movies if she did that.

tworiverswoman
05-21-2010, 02:06 AM
She was in a shuttle and Mother blew up. Then she slept for whole bunches of years. So... how?

GonzoTheGreat
05-21-2010, 04:07 AM
Frankly, I think that we should let South Korea decide what to do, with the understanding that if their response is not excessively unreasonable (such as nuking Bejing) then we will back them up.

Yellowbeard
05-21-2010, 10:02 AM
She was in a shuttle and Mother blew up. Then she slept for whole bunches of years. So... how?

her sleep in that machine was suspended animation. she was either aging very, very slowly or not at all.

Frankly, I think that we should let South Korea decide what to do, with the understanding that if their response is not excessively unreasonable (such as nuking Bejing) then we will back them up.

well, yeah.

never heard of bejing, though. is that 'burb of pyongyang?

GonzoTheGreat
05-21-2010, 10:08 AM
It's what the locals want us to call Peking, I think. Though according to Wikipedia, it should be spelled Beijing.

Yellowbeard
05-21-2010, 10:26 AM
It's what the locals want us to call Peking, I think. Though according to Wikipedia, it should be spelled Beijing.

yes yes. my original question was pointed towards the misspelling in that there is no place called bejing. i figured it was a typo on your part, actually.

Crispin's Crispian
05-21-2010, 02:42 PM
yes yes. my original question was pointed towards the misspelling in that there is no place called bejing. i figured it was a typo on your part, actually.

Can you elaborate? It would make the joke funnier. ;)

yks 6nnetu hing
05-21-2010, 04:12 PM
Can you elaborate? It would make the joke funnier. ;)

*bounces up and down* I love overly elaborate jokes, especially if they're about language.

Since I don't know much about the situation, I'll just say that N Koreans are stupid beyond belief for doing this: what did they think would happen as a result of this action?

Ivhon
05-21-2010, 04:39 PM
*bounces up and down* I love overly elaborate jokes, especially if they're about language.

Since I don't know much about the situation, I'll just say that N Koreans are stupid beyond belief for doing this: what did they think would happen as a result of this action?

Nothing. Because they know perfectly well that the US is way overextended militarily and that so long as President Palin is not running things, we will not risk bogging down in yet another war - especially one that risks antagonizing China.

Yellowbeard
05-21-2010, 04:58 PM

it's more complicated than that. they know the US is over extended militarily. also, they know their people have figured out they are slaves and are horribly mistreated. sorry, you can't block out all of the internet. they keep a tight lid on things, but even kim jong il was talking a peace treaty and trade w/ S Korea within the last year.

you think the N Korean military generals want that? the perpetual state of war is what keeps them in power. they are afraid of losing power, and afraid of what has to be a growing sense of civil unrest in N Korea (that happens when people are enslaved and have no food, and no prospects for a better future), so they've created an external crisis to distract the people from their internal national problems, knowing that S Korea and the US won't really do much in retaliation.

in otherwords, the N Koreans did it to maintain the status quo and their power.

Sarevok
05-21-2010, 05:00 PM

My best guess would be that there was either some overly zealous submarine commander, or otherwise there was someone who accidentally hit the wrong button while tracking the S-Korean vessel.

Basel Gill
05-21-2010, 05:02 PM
you think the N Korean military generals want that? the perpetual state of war is what keeps them in power. they are afraid of losing power, and afraid of what has to be a growing sense of civil unrest in N Korea (that happens when people are enslaved and have no food, and no prospects for a better future), so they've created an external crisis to distract the people from their internal national problems, knowing that S Korea and the US won't really do much in retaliation.

in otherwords, the N Koreans did it to maintain the status quo and their power.

We have always been at war with Eurasia...

JSUCamel
05-21-2010, 08:53 PM
someone who accidentally hit the wrong button

Famous last words: "Hey, what's this button do?" - Commander of the Challenger, 1986

Davian93
05-22-2010, 10:20 PM
Famous last words: "Hey, what's this button do?" - Commander of the Challenger, 1986

NASA

Need
Another
Seven
Astronauts

Uno
05-24-2010, 10:57 AM
Sort of extreme behaviour, one might argue. If the North Korean government wanted a crisis for the benefit of its own public, why not just provoke a more normal confrontation between two naval vessels, some exchange of gunfire, that kind of thing, and then hype it up in the domestic media? That involves minimal risk but could be put to very good use. It's hardly abnormal behaviour in a disputed maritime zone and could be filmed, edited, and broadcasted for propaganda purposes at home. This stealthy assassination is something entirely different.

Crispin's Crispian
05-24-2010, 11:43 AM
Sort of extreme behaviour, one might argue. If the North Korean government wanted a crisis for the benefit of its own public, why not just provoke a more normal confrontation between two naval vessels, some exchange of gunfire, that kind of thing, and then hype it up in the domestic media? That involves minimal risk but could be put to very good use. It's hardly abnormal behaviour in a disputed maritime zone and could be filmed, edited, and broadcasted for propaganda purposes at home. This stealthy assassination is something entirely different.

Since you're suggesting another motive, do you care to explain what it might be? The first thing that came to mind after reading your post was that the NKs knew something about the SK ship that we haven't heard yet.

Davian93
05-24-2010, 11:50 AM
Since you're suggesting another motive, do you care to explain what it might be? The first thing that came to mind after reading your post was that the NKs knew something about the SK ship that we haven't heard yet.

It could honestly be an overzealous sub-commander followed by the NK Administration refusing to admit to such a lapse. Pride is a powerful thing to a guy like Kim Jong Il.

GonzoTheGreat
05-24-2010, 12:12 PM
Or perhaps just a commander following the official Rules of Engagement. I wouldn't be too surprised if some committee of 80 year old North Korean landlubbers had made a bit mistake in that document. Admitting that wouldn't be something they would want to do, though.

Yellowbeard
05-24-2010, 01:40 PM
If the North Korean government wanted a crisis for the benefit of its own public, why not just provoke a more normal confrontation between two naval vessels, some exchange of gunfire, that kind of thing, and then hype it up in the domestic media?

i believe there was some sort of surface ship engagement a few months before the torpedo attack. it didn't make much news. either, because it didn't make much news they figured they needed to up the ante to get more news coverage, or the torpedo attack was in retaliation because i do believe the N Koreans lost some people in the prior surface ship engagement.

Davian93
05-24-2010, 02:19 PM
Maybe the SK ship was actually an Intelligence Trawler....

Yellowbeard
05-24-2010, 03:48 PM
i'm sure it had survelliance gear on board. it was coastal patrol ship (a corvette according to wikipedia), and it was designed to have specialized anti-submarine warfare capabilities, ironically enough.

why would the ship's specific mission matter, though? both sides spy on each other. the ROKS Cheonan is basically the latest casualty in the Crab Wars between the North and South. this one in particular just happened to be a sneak attack and an escalation in the level of hostilities that has been occuring over the last several years. the disputed area of water where these skirmishes take place is home to a rich crab fishery that both north and south are trying to take control of.