PDA

View Full Version : My internship at a local book publisher/literary PR firm

bowlwoman
06-02-2010, 02:27 PM
I started my editing internship today at a local book publishing firm. They have a sister literary PR company, which, lo and behold, did the media/publicity for Brandon's Warbreaker and TGS last year. During the intern orientation (where interns from both companies were combined), I impressed many with my acute knowledge of of the books (our guide didn't even know ToM was being published this year...). The PR firm does a lot of work for Tor/Forge, so hopefully they'll be working on ToM this year.

They don't do marketing stuff, so when I asked why there were no book signings in Austin last year, I was told they didn't handle it. They are the ones who got Brandon on Twitter, though, and I'll be interested in finding out how much of the other publicity stuff (early chapter releases, online interviews, etc) they had a hand in.

Suffice to say, I now have a reputation already at the company after two hours of orientation. When we went back downstairs, the woman in charge of the PR firm came down to talk to us about that side of the business, and she had a copy of TGS as a sample of their work. She said she heard there was a sci-fi/WoT fan in the group, and I raised my hand and admitted it was me. So much for keeping my geekery under wraps. :)

OOh...maybe if Brandon comes in the office, I'll get to meet him. Even though I'm a lowly intern, maybe my enthusiasm will carry the day.

Isabel
06-02-2010, 03:12 PM
Sounds great :)))))

Brita
06-02-2010, 03:32 PM
Cool!

WinespringBrother
06-02-2010, 03:48 PM
Sounds like a sweet gig! Good luck!

AFAIK, Tor picks the locations for book signings. Brandon talked about the process for choosing locations for signings, and I think he said they try to go to different book stores on each tour to get more exposure (even if they are in the same cities that were previously visited).

Ivhon
06-02-2010, 03:48 PM
Cool!

Talk them into a signing at the Hill Country Galleria...

bowlwoman
06-02-2010, 03:50 PM
Talk them into a signing at the Hill Country Galleria...

Heck NO! That's 45 minutes from my house, yet somehow still in Austin.

I vote for Book People. It inconveniences everyone equally.

Davian93
06-02-2010, 03:50 PM
If Brandon does stop by, volunteer to drive him around. I hear he's quite talkative once you trap him in a car for a long ride.

Anaiya Sedai
06-02-2010, 04:25 PM
sounds awesome. ~jealous~ :D

ShadowbaneX
06-02-2010, 05:24 PM
OOh...maybe if Brandon comes in the office, I'll get to meet him. Even though I'm a lowly intern, maybe my enthusiasm will carry the day.

If he does we need to get you a TL shirt that Tam had made for JordanCon, just so he knows that we're everywhere.

Brita
06-02-2010, 09:55 PM
If he does we need to get you a TL shirt that Tam had made for JordanCon, just so he knows that we're everywhere.

Brilliant!

yks 6nnetu hing
06-03-2010, 02:59 AM
Way cool! congrats Bowl:D

Terez
06-03-2010, 03:06 AM
Heck NO! That's 45 minutes from my house...
Geek FAIL.

Congrats though. :p

GonzoTheGreat
06-03-2010, 04:01 AM
Geek FAIL.I don't think so. It would of course be a fail if she did not go there "because it was too far" when it was just a random event. But since she is the one planning the actual location, she can make things comfortable for herself without compromising on geekiness.

Gilshalos Sedai
06-03-2010, 08:34 AM
Congrats, Bowl! Sounds like fun!

pops taer
06-06-2010, 10:29 AM
Hey we just may have a shot getting a book going if we can ever get ours put together. There is an in out there...Pun???? Oh well whatever it is it's a thought. LOL