PDA

View Full Version : Little things

yks 6nnetu hing
06-03-2010, 06:30 AM
I'm sure everyone has some pet peeves. Little everyday things for which you need to grin (or grind teeth) and bear it when you would much rather magically change the people around you...

This post was inspired by my trying to buy lunch today. The person in front of me wanting to pay simply would NOT move from the beginning of the conveyor belt to the cashier until she was allll done beeping all of his beer bottles, he had paid and then had to move to the other end of the conveyor belt to get the bottles of beer. In the mean while there was a lovely queue behind him (and me), and a completely empty conveyor belt between him and the cashier.

Ok, so in addition to the above here's what people need to not do:

* Stand on the left side of escalators. Or middle of escalators.

* When stepping off the escalator, out of the public transport or into a building, dramatically decrease speed and dawdle around, gazing dazedly at the surroundings. Or even worse: just stand directly blocking the entrance/exit and chat with your friends.

* going down the stairs as slowly as humanly possible (extra pet peeve: men ages 15-30 who do this while appearing "gangsta". you're not old, you're not wearing high heels, you're not trying to usher small kids down the stairs, you're perfectly healthy. move, goddammit!)

* mumbling very quietly.

* being (at least) 10 minutes late to a meeting and then chatting about nothing important.

* At the end of a meeting, if there's a chance the meeting might last 5 min longer than planned, rush through the last 25 undiscussed points. Don't schedule another meeting. Everything's been discussed, right?

* At the end of the meeting when everything is decided, keep talking. Preferably repeating everything at least 3 times.

* entering the metro, complain loudly how everyone needs to make space and move away from the door when, really, there's plenty of space. Then stand right in front of the door. I kid you not, every damn day I see that guy. Still, he's better than that little turd who always shoves his way into the metro, no matter how full it is and if anyone dared say something along the lines of "relax" he'd go "whaddaya gonna do abouddit? huh? huh?!?"

That's my list for now. additions?

Davian93
06-03-2010, 07:02 AM
This is what you get for using public transportation.

Oatman
06-03-2010, 07:31 AM
Stand on the left side of escalators. Or middle of escalators.

I'm of the opinion that people should always stick to the left. Comes from driving on the left side of the road down here though.

Pet peeve of mine, people giving way to me when they have right of way.

WinespringBrother
06-03-2010, 08:07 AM
my addition: a gossip at work who blabs about every little boring detail of his and and everyone he knows lives, including from his childhood, to everyone in the vicinity, and to customers that call in for technical support, and to co-workers that are walking by...

Sei'taer
06-03-2010, 08:15 AM
Oh, I've got tons...

1) Don't block the aisle of the grocery store with your cart. If you are looking at something on the right side, done leave your cart in the middle or on the right.

2) Learn how to handle a four way stop. It's not hard...really.

3) It's a concrete truck. People pour concrete. Sidewalks are made out of concrete. This is a concrete truck (http://www.concretetycoon.com/images2/Concrete%20101/Redi-Mix%20truck%20arrives.jpg) (redi-mix truck, drum truck...not a cement truck.). Concrete should not be confused with cement because the term cement refers only to the dry powder substance used to bind the aggregate materials of concrete. Upon the addition of water and/or additives the cement mixture is referred to as concrete, especially if aggregates have been added. News people are the worst when it comes to using the wrong term. Ask Camel if I will correct you or not...

4) People who buy a Suburban, Hummer, Tahoe, Yukon, name your favorite big SUV, and can't park it in one spot. I can put mine in a normal parking spot and people can still park next to me on both sides. Practice, practice, practice.

5) Parallel parkers who can't get it right. 'Nuff said on that.

6) Low profile tires.

7) Motorcyclists who ride in your blind spot...hell, anybody who rides in your blind spot, it's just that motorcyclists are easier to kill that way.

8) Typing motorcyclist.

9)People who ride in the fast lane below the speed limit. Also, people who don't know how to regulate their speed when going up and down hills. 25 mph up the hill, 70 mph down the hill, repeat at next hill.

10) People who ask a question in a meeting five seconds after it already been asked and discussed.

I got more, but I'll hold up for now.

Basel Gill
06-03-2010, 08:30 AM
-At the drive-thru window, give me my coins first, then the bills so I can hold the coins with a finger or two and clamp the others down on the bills. This relatively new balancing act where they pile coins on top of the bills and they slide off is just an unneeded annoyance. Also, quit trying to sell me other shit. Shut up and pay attention to the order...

-Getting a person named "Bob" or "Nancy" with an obvious Eastern Indian accent on "customer service" calls. Any more explanation needed?

-(continuing the point about healthy people on stairs). If you are able bodied, is it really necessary to hold up EVERYONE in the parking lot while you sit and wait on a parking space to clear out that is roughly 5 feet closer to the door than the one that is already open??? You have legs that work. Be grateful and use them lazy bastards.

yks 6nnetu hing
06-03-2010, 08:34 AM
This is what you get for using public transportation.

Public transportation is faster than sitting in a traffic jam. For me, anyway.

another one that only happens here: bikers. More chance of being hit by a bike than being hit by anything else and I've actually been in a metro that got hit by a garbage truck.

Ishara
06-03-2010, 08:53 AM
Spoken like a true commuter yks! I was sitting there nodding my head at every bullet, LOL.

People who hover around your desk when they can clearly effing see that you are on a phone call. Come back later, dammit!

People who insist on playing their music so loud through their crappy-ass earphones that I can hear every syllable of their terrible song.

People who bitch and moan about being stuck in rush hour traffic on the bus home. Yup. It sucks. But you could drive. So shut up.

Perfectly healthy women who audibly complain when men don't give up a seat for them on transit. Shut up!!

Perfectly healthy people who do not give up their seat for the elderly, the pregnant or the infirm. You suck.

Brita
06-03-2010, 09:17 AM
Pet peeve of mine, people giving way to me when they have right of way.

Yes! This is so aggravating, especially when you have a strong suspicion they would expect you to be grateful...I'm not grateful- you are just making things incredibly confusing for everyone!

- When a new till opens at the Whatever Super Mart, and the people from the end of the lines scoot over to the new line. Not cool. The new line starts with the people who have already been waiting for 20 minutes, mmmkay?

- When people leave a phone message and leave their phone number, yet rattle it off so jumbled and quickly that it can't be understood.

Davian93
06-03-2010, 09:32 AM
95% of all traffic accidents/annoyances would be avoided if people would do two simple things:

1. Never yield the right of way when its yours.
2. Yield when you don't have the right of way.

Just follow the damn rules and everyone will be happy. Same with 4 way stops...its a pretty easy process...whoever gets their first goes, stop letting people go over and over again. People are so freaking stupid with 4 way stop signs...they simply can't handle that much responsibility.

People who hover around your desk when they can clearly effing see that you are on a phone call. Come back later, dammit!

THIS...so much THIS. I hate it when people do that. Take the damn hint, stop eavesdropping on my phonecall and come back later. Also, dont try to read my email when you walk into my cube, its so freaking rude. I cant stand nosy people.

Another pet peeve: Dont whine all day at work about your personal problems. Trust me, I dont care, I wont ever care, you're not my friend and you won't ever be. I wont ever "friend" you on Facebook, so stop asking, I dont hang out with co-workers outside the office and I never want to...it never leads to anything good. The last thing I want to do when I'm off work is talk about work so why the hell would I want to be your damn friend?

Davian93
06-03-2010, 09:38 AM
Perfectly healthy people who do not give up their seat for the elderly, the pregnant or the infirm. You suck.

People that beyotch at me for not giving up a seat because I look young and cant possibly be handicapped. I cant stand that crap. Just like at the grocery store. Every damn time I'm in line, the bagger magically disapears when its my turn to checkout. Honestly, there are days where I really can't physically bag groceries but they just assume I can because I'm a healthly looking younger guy. They never disappear when its the middle-aged woman in front of me, but they sure as hell walk away when I'm there. WTF??? What other store on earth do they not bag your merchandize? Why is the grocery store different?

Ooh, another pet peeve: Tip jars in fast food places like a Subway, Quiznos, Starbucks, Dunkin Donuts, etc. Sorry, you get paid a fair wage. You want tips, go work for $2 an hour at a restaurant. Its total BS that you can put out a tip jar there and people actually tip. Another annoying tipping habit: When you pickup your food at a restaurant and you get a nasty look for not tipping. Hey, I drove here and got my food...you didn't serve me at a table, you didn't deliver it, its not a tip worthy job to ring me up. Yeah, if its a really great place and they have been great to me and I'm a regular, I'll toss in a dollar but its BS to give me a nasty look for picking up my food and not tipping.

Another annoying pet peeve: When I can't find the droids I'm looking for. Lord Vader gets really nasty when we come up empty handed and it just makes my day that much worse.

Oatman
06-03-2010, 10:01 AM
Groups of people who take up the whole path, and won't move to accomadate people who walk the other way, but get pissed off when you make space in between them. Should just drop a shoulder and charge. See how fast they make room then.

People who loudly discuss private matters in public. I really don't want to hear about your rash.

Basel Gill
06-03-2010, 10:09 AM
Groups of people who take up the whole path, and won't move to accomadate people who walk the other way, but get pissed off when you make space in between them. Should just drop a shoulder and charge. See how fast they make room then.

People who loudly discuss private matters in public. I really don't want to hear about your rash.

...or what caused it...yikes! :D

Ivhon
06-03-2010, 11:22 AM

OMG THIS!

On the road:

People who wont friggin PASS (turn off cruise control and drive, yagov)
People who won't move over into the open lane to let you merge into traffic/turn right (turn off cruise control and drive, yagov)
People who speed up as soon as you put your turn signal on
People who deliberately perch in your blind spot - speed up when I speed up, slow down when I slow down...just so they can stay there and watch me wrench MY neck to be a safe driver.
Teenage boys (or overgrown teenage boys) that think they are professional drivers who are so damn good that they can whip across traffic at 85mph in their cheesedick cameros. You wanna kill yourself driving like an idiot, go ahead. But don't take me down in your testosterone induced delusion of immortality, motherfucker.
Cruise control. Turn it off. Look in your mirrors and DRIVE YOUR CAR you oblivious jagov. Going back to point one, that line of cars piled up for 2 miles behind you that you don't see because you have cruise control on and are passing a rig at 0.25mph faster than he is going meanwhile he can't see you because you are living in his blind spot for 9 of the 12 minutes it takes you to get by him is getting really annoyed that they are stuck in gridlock in the highway because YOU are a lazy jagov that can't be bothered to pay attention to what is going on around you or to actually push your foot down on the accelerator so that the trucker won't run you off the road because you have been sitting in his blind spot for 8 minutes thereby causing a 2 mile long pileup. Fuck you, cruise control.

Oh. I also hate it when people waste meeting time talking about specific issues that only pertain to them.

Davian93
06-03-2010, 11:51 AM
OMG THIS!

On the road:

People who wont friggin PASS (turn off cruise control and drive, yagov)
People who won't move over into the open lane to let you merge into traffic/turn right (turn off cruise control and drive, yagov)
People who speed up as soon as you put your turn signal on
People who deliberately perch in your blind spot - speed up when I speed up, slow down when I slow down...just so they can stay there and watch me wrench MY neck to be a safe driver.
Teenage boys (or overgrown teenage boys) that think they are professional drivers who are so damn good that they can whip across traffic at 85mph in their cheesedick cameros. You wanna kill yourself driving like an idiot, go ahead. But don't take me down in your testosterone induced delusion of immortality, motherfucker.
Cruise control. Turn it off. Look in your mirrors and DRIVE YOUR CAR you oblivious jagov. Going back to point one, that line of cars piled up for 2 miles behind you that you don't see because you have cruise control on and are passing a rig at 0.25mph faster than he is going meanwhile he can't see you because you are living in his blind spot for 9 of the 12 minutes it takes you to get by him is getting really annoyed that they are stuck in gridlock in the highway because YOU are a lazy jagov that can't be bothered to pay attention to what is going on around you or to actually push your foot down on the accelerator so that the trucker won't run you off the road because you have been sitting in his blind spot for 8 minutes thereby causing a 2 mile long pileup. Fuck you, cruise control.

Oh. I also hate it when people waste meeting time talking about specific issues that only pertain to them.

90% of the above issues can be avoided by owning a fast car. That's why I have my supercharged Mini Cooper. Most cant keep up with me, I can shoot the gap and wing around people that are driving too slow and I will do so with no issues (even on double yellow roads..as long as there are no cops around and no oncoming traffic). Most cars can't or wont keep up with me in the 60-100 mph range and my car can easily go 120 if some ass is being a jerk about me passing them.

Sei'taer
06-03-2010, 12:10 PM
90% of the above issues can be avoided by owning a fast car. That's why I have my supercharged Mini Cooper. Most cant keep up with me, I can shoot the gap and wing around people that are driving too slow and I will do so with no issues (even on double yellow roads..as long as there are no cops around and no oncoming traffic). Most cars can't or wont keep up with me in the 60-100 mph range and my car can easily go 120 if some ass is being a jerk about me passing them.

I can do it in my Tahoe too...I just do it with AUTHORITY.

Crispin's Crispian
06-03-2010, 12:30 PM
I was in the airport the other day trying to make a nice quiet phone call to my mom. I unfortunately sat next to the LOUDEST MAN ON EARTH, and he had to talk on his phone too. Then, guess who sat right across the aisle from me on the plane for the next three hours? The tiny plane where I could have reached out across the aisle and shoved his tiny white wine bottle down his throat?

So, LOUD people who are LOUD for no reason, and people who try to make LOUD small talk with every person who catches their eye. STFU!

Other pet peeves

Office

-Speakerphones, or more accurately the douchebags that use them. The rest of the office doesn't need to hear your phone call, and certainly not your 170 dB dialtone. Pick it up or get a headset, jerk.

-People who think you have to talk super LOUD on a speakerphone or conference call. And don't shove the phone over towards me because you think I'm too quiet. FU.

-Guys who wear their Bluetooth earpieces in the bathroom. The person you're talking to does not need to hear your urine hitting the water. And I guaran-damn-tee you said person doesn't want to hear mine. Say, that gives me an idea...

-People who don't bother to turn off their cell phone ringer in the office...ever. Even on an important sales call. Then, you have the ego to answer the phone? WTF is wrong with you?

-To echo YKS, people who stop right after exiting the elevator because they somehow got lost after they pushed "L". You do this at least once a day--haven't you figured out which way you need to go by now?

Driving/Commuting

-People who can't properly merge on the freeway.

-Doing anything in the driver's seat other than driving.

-Bothering the bus driver with stories about your old neighborhood or your girlfriend or Las Vegas. That guy needs to drive this bus. Leave him the F alone.

General
-People who can't take a hint. When I start typing, or if I haven't said anything qualitative in the last 10 minutes (and you're still talking), or I look at my watch, or I look at the door...shut your mouth and consider whether it's worthwhile to continue talking. I'm a good and patient listener--I really am--so when I get tired of hearing you you've probably talked too long.

-LOUD people.

Davian93
06-03-2010, 12:48 PM
Ooh, another one:

People at work that never shut up about their kids. I dont care about your kid, I dont think he/she is cute and you're probably the only person on earth that thinks your kid is cute. Also annoying: Questions along the lines of "Why dont you have kids yet?" "What's up with that?" etc etc. First, its none of your damn business, and second, why do you care if I dont have kids? Do you feel the need to discuss the latest and greatest in stroller design and I'm not up to the task or something?

Sorry but your kid just isnt that interesting nor are the 50,000 photos you have up him/her in your cubicle...including the ones on your pc desktop.

Crispin's Crispian
06-03-2010, 01:10 PM
Ooh, another one:

People at work that never shut up about their kids. I dont care about your kid, I dont think he/she is cute and you're probably the only person on earth that thinks your kid is cute. Also annoying: Questions along the lines of "Why dont you have kids yet?" "What's up with that?" etc etc. First, its none of your damn business, and second, why do you care if I dont have kids? Do you feel the need to discuss the latest and greatest in stroller design and I'm not up to the task or something?

Sorry but your kid just isnt that interesting nor are the 50,000 photos you have up him/her in your cubicle...including the ones on your pc desktop.

Screw you, Dav. My kids are awesome.

But seriously, I don't mind people who talk about their kids. What I do mind is the people who talk all about how their kids and/or their parenting situation is the best/worst/most challenging/most unique.

"Oh, the baby was up so late last night, I got almost no sleep. We've been trying this xxxx approach and it's xxxx. It's so hard."

Yeah yeah, I was there too. And I didn't tell you about it because I didn't think you'd care. Oh, I forgot, everyone cares about your problems.

Ivhon
06-03-2010, 01:23 PM
Sooo...if/when we ever have kids does this mean I can't flood facebook with photoalbums?

yks 6nnetu hing
06-03-2010, 01:34 PM
lol, I don't mind the kid-talk but that's maybe because I haven't had it stuffed down my throat the way you have Dav :D

I have another one:

Even though a bit of complaining is... normal, I really don't want to hear how bad your day is twice a day every day, every week. I'm having a crap day too, in fact, I'm having a 2-week migraine, thank you very much. Your noise is making it worse and I'm nearly out of painkillers.

Brita
06-03-2010, 01:40 PM
I have another one that Ivhon inspired with his rant about drivers not paying attention to what's happening around them:

A huge line up of cars waiting to turn left on a left turn arrow. When the arrow finally turns green, the first few cars turn so slowly, leaving a football field length between each car so that maybe three cars make it through before the light turns red again. I HATE THAT! Pay attention- take a look back, realize your not the only one on the road and there are at least 20 cars behind you hoping to turn left sometime this century!

Sinistrum
06-03-2010, 01:44 PM
1. Making me repeat myself because you're not paying attention.

2. People who drive luxury cars who feel entitled to take up two parking spaces so they won't get a scratch

3. Hanging up on me while talking with me on the phone

4. Grammar nazis

5. People who say the word "like" too much

6. People who try to talk to me in person when I'm obviously on the phone

Ishara
06-03-2010, 01:50 PM
I can do it in my Tahoe too...I just do it with AUTHORITY.
Oh, baby.
Ooh, another one:

1. I don't care how you decorate your cubcile/ desktop. It's yours. Have at it.

2. I am now being subjected to a never-ending line of questioning about my (non)marital ststus and lack of children. So the last time someone asked me if we were trying for kids, I just replied "no, why, are you?"

None of your damn business. I I had news I felt like sharing with you, I would. Otherwise, I won't.

Crispin's Crispian
06-03-2010, 01:55 PM
2. I am now being subjected to a never-ending line of questioning about my (non)marital ststus and lack of children. So the last time someone asked me if we were trying for kids, I just replied "no, why, are you?"

None of your damn business. I I had news I felt like sharing with you, I would. Otherwise, I won't.

The sad thing is, it doesn't stop once you do have kids. "So, are you going to have more?" or "so when can we expect baby #3?" It's not quite as bad, though. Still, I wonder at what point the question changes from "are you having another," to "you're done, right?"

BTW, "no, why, are you?" is an awesome comeback.

Davian93
06-03-2010, 01:56 PM
Oh, baby.

1. I don't care how you decorate your cubcile/ desktop. It's yours. Have at it.

I could care less what they do with their cube...just dont feel the urge to point out the latest photo of your infant to me everytime I drop a file off for you.

Brita
06-03-2010, 01:57 PM
The sad thing is, it doesn't stop once you do have kids. "So, are you going to have more?" or "so when can we expect baby #3?" It's not quite as bad, though. Still, I wonder at what point the question changes from "are you having another," to "you're done, right?"

When all your kids are past age 5 or 6 people generally suspect you aren't having any more- from my experience anyway.

Basel Gill
06-03-2010, 01:59 PM
I forgot the biggest one.

PEOPLE WHO HAVE FORGOTTEN HOW TO PARENT THEIR CHILDREN.

Just because you think it's cute for little Johnny to run around the restaurant, screaming and wiping snot on people does not mean that the other 100 paying customers agree with you. Get off your ass and deal with your child. If you didn't want to deal with it, you probably shouldn't have reproduced.

Included in this and may or may not be related is the reluctance of parents to discipline in almost any situation. You CANNOT baragin with a 2-3 year old, stop trying. Put down the Dr. Spock book and use some common sense.

Davian93
06-03-2010, 02:00 PM

BTW, "no, why, are you?" is an awesome comeback.

I think its exagerrated in the case of my office as the male to female ratio is way out of whack. There are something like 12 guys and 65 women in my office. Its baby, baby, baby all the time. Its ridiculously unprofessional. And they always use the kids as excuses. "I'd love to stay late but I'm a mother...blah blah blah...Davian can do it". Bullcrap, just because I dont have kids doesnt make me automatically free to do stuff.

Crispin's Crispian
06-03-2010, 02:01 PM
When all your kids are past age 5 or 6 people generally suspect you aren't having any more- from my experience anyway.

I think it would be funny to go into detail about either how EXACTLY you're trying, or EXACTLY why you're not.

Nothing stops conversation faster than BBT and the lengths you had to go through yesterday to have sex, or details about referred vas pain and the non-surgical options.

JSUCamel
06-03-2010, 02:05 PM
lol, I don't mind the kid-talk but that's maybe because I haven't had it stuffed down my throat the way you have Dav :D

I have another one:

Even though a bit of complaining is... normal, I really don't want to hear how bad your day is twice a day every day, every week. I'm having a crap day too, in fact, I'm having a 2-week migraine, thank you very much. Your noise is making it worse and I'm nearly out of painkillers.

My biggest pet peeve is when I make a comment about a stuffy nose or something, someone inevitably says "Well, if it makes you feel any better, I have pneumonia."

Why in the name of all things cheesy and bacony would that make me feel better?!

Another pet peeve is when I call something "cement" and someone says "concrete".

Also, sentence fragments.

Anaiya Sedai
06-03-2010, 02:11 PM
my addition: a gossip at work who blabs about every little boring detail of his and and everyone he knows lives, including from his childhood, to everyone in the vicinity, and to customers that call in for technical support, and to co-workers that are walking by...

You work with my sister-in-law? :eek::eek:

-At the drive-thru window, give me my coins first, then the bills so I can hold the coins with a finger or two and clamp the others down on the bills. This relatively new balancing act where they pile coins on top of the bills and they slide off is just an unneeded annoyance.

This.

People who insist on playing their music so loud through their crappy-ass earphones that I can hear every syllable of their terrible song.

People who bitch and moan about being stuck in rush hour traffic on the bus home. Yup. It sucks. But you could drive. So shut up.

Perfectly healthy women who audibly complain when men don't give up a seat for them on transit. Shut up!!

My sister-in-law.

People who can't take a hint. When I start typing, or if I haven't said anything qualitative in the last 10 minutes (and you're still talking), or I look at my watch, or I look at the door...shut your mouth and consider whether it's worthwhile to continue talking. I'm a good and patient listener--I really am--so when I get tired of hearing you you've probably talked too long.
My sister-in-law. :mad:

I am now being subjected to a never-ending line of questioning about my (non)marital ststus and lack of children. So the last time someone asked me if we were trying for kids, I just replied "no, why, are you?"

Sorry :(

*People who slam doors. It has a handle for a reason. Use it.
*People who complain about every aspect of their life [and everyone else's, for that matter] but never do anything to change even a tiny bit.
*People who delegate all there is to do at work, not because they are too busy to do it, but because they need to finish drinking their coffee/phone a friend/put some makeup on/give someone a hug.
*My sister-in-law (I think after what Ishara said a couple of days ago I'm now just going to call her "Kettle". Pfff) - She does all of the above and more. Unfortunately, I have to live with her.

Davian93
06-03-2010, 02:13 PM
My biggest pet peeve is when I make a comment about a stuffy nose or something, someone inevitably says "Well, if it makes you feel any better, I have pneumonia."

Why in the name of all things cheesy and bacony would that make me feel better?!

Another pet peeve is when I call something "cement" and someone says "concrete".

Ooh, that goes along the lines of the "I'm always have a worse day than you" guy.

Example:

"Man, I'm tired, I workd a 12 hr day yesterday and got like 5 hrs sleep on top of it." - Dav

"That's nothing, I worked 14 hrs adn got only 3 hrs..." -that guy

"And, so I'm not tired then? Good to know...jackass".

Ivhon
06-03-2010, 02:15 PM
I think it would be funny to go into detail about either how EXACTLY you're trying, or EXACTLY why you're not.

Nothing stops conversation faster than BBT and the lengths you had to go through yesterday to have sex, or details about referred vas pain and the non-surgical options.

I tried something like this at an in-laws gathering shortly after we got married. Its one of those get married and pop em out kinda families. So, I made a crack about how we were working hard at not having kids. Literally got the cartoon blinks from everyone in the room. Mrs Ivhon still hasnt let me live that one down.

On the other hand, when she is presented with the constant "when are you going to have kids?" thing, she has taken to saying "Well, we were going to start last summer, but then you asked when we were going to have kids. Maybe this summer."

Davian93
06-03-2010, 02:21 PM
I forgot the biggest one.

PEOPLE WHO HAVE FORGOTTEN HOW TO PARENT THEIR CHILDREN.

Just because you think it's cute for little Johnny to run around the restaurant, screaming and wiping snot on people does not mean that the other 100 paying customers agree with you. Get off your ass and deal with your child. If you didn't want to deal with it, you probably shouldn't have reproduced.

Included in this and may or may not be related is the reluctance of parents to discipline in almost any situation. You CANNOT baragin with a 2-3 year old, stop trying. Put down the Dr. Spock book and use some common sense.

THIS...so much THIS!

We were at a fancy french bistro on Tues night and this couple decided to drag their 3 kids into the restaurant for dinner. That's fine, they can eat wherever they want but at least control your bloody kids. The host was smart enough to sit them outside in the outdoor seating as far from anyone as they could but it didnt matter. Their 4 year old (estimate) kept running around the seating area the whole time and climbing on stuff. Then the mother decided it was feeding time and started breastfeeding both her younger kids at once (who were rather old looking to be breastfeeding. Dont get me wrong, I have nothing against breastfeeding in public but its typically polite to at least put a towel or blanket over you so you're not just pulling your shirt up in the middle of a public street (seating area is on a pedestrian street). It was very odd to say the least...especially when the older boy ran over to "eat" too but was shooed off. I felt really bad for the older couple that ended up being sat next to them later in the meal...they looked like they were gonna kill them.

yks 6nnetu hing
06-03-2010, 02:27 PM

:o thankfully, I almost never do that. I might think it, but I won't actually say it out loud :p But I will whine about it on an online forum.

I tried something like this at an in-laws gathering shortly after we got married. Its one of those get married and pop em out kinda families. So, I made a crack about how we were working hard at not having kids. Literally got the cartoon blinks from everyone in the room. Mrs Ivhon still hasnt let me live that one down.

On the other hand, when she is presented with the constant "when are you going to have kids?" thing, she has taken to saying "Well, we were going to start last summer, but then you asked when we were going to have kids. Maybe this summer." good one :)

Ishara
06-03-2010, 04:04 PM
I think its exagerrated in the case of my office as the male to female ratio is way out of whack. There are something like 12 guys and 65 women in my office. Its baby, baby, baby all the time. Its ridiculously unprofessional. And they always use the kids as excuses. "I'd love to stay late but I'm a mother...blah blah blah...Davian can do it". Bullcrap, just because I dont have kids doesnt make me automatically free to do stuff.
Oh, I call bullshit on that SO fast here. I shouldn't be disenfranchised simply because I don't have kids.

*My sister-in-law (I think after what Ishara said a couple of days ago I'm now just going to call her "Kettle". Pfff) - She does all of the above and more. Unfortunately, I have to live with her.
SHE'S kettle? Chavvy bitch. (Did I use it in a sentence right?) Oh, and you don't and haven't. Trust. xo

dominominic
06-03-2010, 04:48 PM
People who start a new story in the middle of the one they're already half way through telling.

"...and that meant I had to go meet Dave at the corner; He was the guy who blah blah blah you remember him blah blah blah his sister had the thing blah blah blah now where was I..."

I just turn off immediately at the first sign of a tangent.

Also people who use too much punctuation. One "!" is enough.

Also also people who use "their" for "they're" or "should of" for "should have".

Also also also people who huddle real fucking tight under their umbrellas when it rains so they can't possibly see where they're going and you just end up getting jabbed in the eye.

And finally, people who give me ornaments and general tat as gifts. I hate ornaments and tat. I got so sick of Simpsons action figures and remote controlled thingwads that I just told my family and friends that their gifts will most likely find their way swiftly to the bin.

Ivhon
06-03-2010, 04:54 PM
And finally, people who give me ornaments and general tat as gifts. I hate ornaments and tat. I got so sick of Simpsons action figures and remote controlled thingwads that I just told my family and friends that their gifts will most likely find their way swiftly to the bin.

Regifting tacky schlock garbage obtained at the annual secret Santa has become an artform in the in-laws' family. Im trying to break the missus of the tradition (by just tossing the cheap porcelain bathroom bowl with red-lipped angels all over it as soon as we get home - no offense to anybody who might like that kind of stuff).

Even before I was a starving grad student, we went on a $200 holiday budget and let people know not to break the bank on our account. Got all the stuff we need, would much rather save the money (and have other people do the same) and have an extra visit or two with loved ones during the year instead of the latest bagel-slicer or whatever.

Crispin's Crispian
06-03-2010, 05:13 PM
People who start a new story in the middle of the one they're already half way through telling.
Oh god...I work with a guy who never finishes a sentence! And of course, everything is of grave importance.

"Have you had a chance to talk to...I mean it would be good if you guys could chat because this problem...I just think that would be good if..."

and that's it. My problem is I know exactly what he's talking about, but I deliberately wait for him to make a point. I can't friggin' stand it.

If you have something to say, say it. Don't expect me to fill in the blanks because it's so important you can't actually mention it.

On the other hand, when she is presented with the constant "when are you going to have kids?" thing, she has taken to saying "Well, we were going to start last summer, but then you asked when we were going to have kids. Maybe this summer." That's good stuff right there.

Ivhon
06-03-2010, 05:17 PM
Oh god...I work with a guy who never finishes a sentence! And of course, everything is of grave importance.

"Have you had a chance to talk to...I mean it would be good if you guys could chat because this problem...I just think that would be good if..."

and that's it. My problem is I know exactly what he's talking about, but I deliberately wait for him to make a point. I can't friggin' stand it.

If you have something to say, say it. Don't expect me to fill in the blanks because it's so important you can't actually mention it.

That's good stuff right there.

Yeah. I about died holding my laughter in. My wife is about as angelic a soul as there is. However, she is a redhead in all its stereotypical glory. When she gets her temper up she can say some amazingly snappy things.

Uno
06-03-2010, 05:17 PM
So many things, but prominent among them that guy who thinks we're friends even though we've just met. I've noticed that he's often a "close talker," too.

dominominic
06-03-2010, 05:23 PM
I'm very private so when it comes to gift time I think people are at a loss.

I have received, among other things:

A book of Chuck Norris jokes(Why? Forgotten the internet?)

A model of some Simpsons scene or other(Hit the trash too fast to see which one.)

A box set of magic tricks for my 18th(I really don't know where that one came from...)

Tickets for the Harlem Globetrotters(Might have mentioned them once in my life ever!)

A spaceship toy with a little man in a gyroscope(Almost one minute of fun. Was also given to me on two separate occasions!)

A t-shirt with a bad pun I'd made once printed on it(Thanks for reminding me!)

A Robotech toy(I thought Robotech was Gundam. I also thought Gundam was Patlabor.)

A Nintendo DS when I already owned one(Not that bad but the same person bought them both for me!)

A remote controlled Mario Kart(Blissfully broken by a single use.)

A belt with a bottle opener on it(For when you need a beer more than you need your pants held up?)

A fridge magnet with a poem about chocolate on it(I don't even eat much chocolate!)

A plush bear with a screen cleaner patch on his belly(Stupid and inadequate.)

And microwaveable slippers that weighed a tonne(Honestly there was no way a human could weat them, I had trouble lifting the bin after I'd canned them!)

SauceyBlueConfetti
06-03-2010, 05:33 PM
4. Grammar nazis

I think you meant Grammar Nazis

:D

SauceyBlueConfetti
06-03-2010, 05:37 PM
I saw this posted yesterday at the local post office:

Unsupervised children will be given an Espresso and a Free Puppy.

I laughed out loud.

Mine:

Mean people
Eavesdropping folk who do it to be nosy, not just for random entertainment
Anyone who bitches to the world about another person/problem but never addresses it directly with THE ACTUAL PERSON CAUSING THE ISSUE

Mort
06-03-2010, 06:33 PM
A belt with a bottle opener on it(For when you need a beer more than you need your pants held up?)

Like, all the time then? :)

It would be awesome to have the opener in the belt, I'd never be without one! But why didn't they just put the opener on the belt buckle so you don't have to open up the belt? Or havn't you figured that out yet? :D

Would be a great party device. "Got a bottle opener?" "Sure, use my belt buckle here!" :D

I dunno if I have any pet peeves that you guys havn't already mentioned.

One happened today in a lecture though:
Someone asks a question that is barely relevant to the topic at hand. This happened twice, by the same guy. It was painful to sit there and the one holding the lecture trying to politely answer the questions knowing full well what a horrendously irrelevant question it was.

Terez
06-03-2010, 07:02 PM
I have a billion pet peeves. Here are a few:

1. Places where the cashier has to ask you 'credit or debit?' before you can swipe your card. Can we just all get the card-readers that let the customer tell the machine which it is?

2. Say I owe $5.81, and I give you a 10, a 1, a nickel, and a penny. Don't look at me like I'm stupid just because you can't add/subtract. Just type it in, and your register will tell you to give me back a 5 and a quarter.

3. People who don't use turn signals. Granted, sometimes it's not important. But when I've got traffic backed up behind me to make a left turn and you're coming the other way and you don't put on your turn signal to let me know you're turning right into the sandwich shop and therefore make me miss my only opportunity to shoot across your lane, you suck. Also, people at 4-way stops who are facing you and turning left but they don't use their blinker and then honk at you when you go straight because they were there first. Well how the fuck was I supposed to know you were turning left, dumbass?

4. What Brita said about people who lag at left turns. They can kiss my ass.

5. Forwards. I hate them. I don't care if they support my political/religious beliefs. I don't care if the jokes are funneh. I HATE CHAIN EMAILS.

I have more, but this is enough for now.

Belazamon
06-03-2010, 11:20 PM
I think you meant Grammar Nazis
You seem to have left off some punctuation there.

Hmm. Little things that bug me...

The main road I take to work has a posted speed limit of 45 MPH. Clearly posted, after every stoplight - this is not one of those ambiguous speed-limit zones we're talking about. Yet for some reason, one out of every four drivers on this road goes between 30-35 instead. And it's one lane for about two-thirds of my drive, so there's no getting around them, just copious cursing.

Yet somehow, mysteriously, when I turn off that main road onto the 35 MPH road that leads to my place - that same slow-driving moron in front of me usually speeds up to 40 for no discernible reason. AAARRRGGGHHH.

Ivhon
06-04-2010, 12:22 AM
Add to the list cuz it just happenned:

Assholes that use turning lanes/ exit ramps as passing lanes

yks 6nnetu hing
06-04-2010, 07:00 AM
I have another one:

people who conveniently forget other people's time zones. It's the second Friday in a row when I've gotten a meeting request for 7-8 PM my time. No. Just no.

JSUCamel
06-04-2010, 08:07 AM
Clients who think accommodating their wishes is as simple as blinking (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Dream_of_Jeannie).

Clients who wait until the day before we launch a website to impart crucial information (like: "oh, by the way, we need to be able to tell which users are married to each other. For tax purposes, you know. We can still launch tomorrow, right?")

Crispin's Crispian
06-04-2010, 10:10 AM
Clients who think accommodating their wishes is as simple as blinking (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Dream_of_Jeannie).

Clients who wait until the day before we launch a website to impart crucial information (like: "oh, by the way, we need to be able to tell which users are married to each other. For tax purposes, you know. We can still launch tomorrow, right?")

On a related note, having to join meetings or conference calls with clients where you know almost nothing about the project.

"You should be able to talk to it, right? I mean, it's not that different from xxxx..."

Yes, it is different.

2. Say I owe $5.81, and I give you a 10, a 1, a nickel, and a penny. Don't look at me like I'm stupid just because you can't add/subtract. Just type it in, and your register will tell you to give me back a 5 and a quarter.This would never even occur to me. The math I get, but I had to read the sentences twice to figure to what you were doing. I'm glad I'm not a cashier in your town.

Ivhon
06-04-2010, 10:25 AM
On a related note, having to join meetings or conference calls with clients where you know almost nothing about the project.

"You should be able to talk to it, right? I mean, it's not that different from xxxx..."

Yes, it is different.

This would never even occur to me. The math I get, but I had to read the sentences twice to figure to what you were doing. I'm glad I'm not a cashier in your town.

I actually do that all the time. I hate change.

Terez
06-04-2010, 10:33 AM
I actually do that all the time. I hate change.
EXACTLY. I want the least amount of coins/bills in my pocket as possible. And I hate nickels. They should be smaller.

Birgitte
06-04-2010, 01:37 PM
I hate it when people pay for a $30 meal with a $100 bill. Why can't you just get twenties from the bank? Obviously it isn't because you hate change, or you wouldn't make me find so much of it for you.

I hate it when people argue about who is going to pay and look at me like it's my job to settle it. What the hell? My job is to bring you food. It is WAY too awkward for me to decide which of you is paying. (Note, this is when both people want to).

And don't ask me what you should pay me. It's so awkward. What am I supposed to say?

And for the none job related...

I hate it when people I don't know well or I don't like touch me. I don't know you. I don't like you. Keep your hands to yourself.

Davian93
06-04-2010, 01:49 PM
I hate it when people pay for a $30 meal with a $100 bill. Why can't you just get twenties from the bank? Obviously it isn't because you hate change, or you wouldn't make me find so much of it for you.

I hate it when restaurants can't make change for my $100 bills when I buy a $30 meal. I mean, what the heck? It's legal currency...would they rather I pay in pennies???

Davian93
06-04-2010, 01:52 PM
Serious dining pet peeve: When dining with friends or another couple...I hate it when they see you're about to pay with your half by credit card/debit card and go "Oh, we'll just give you our part in cash and put it on your card". NO, I dont want to put the whole thing on my card. What if I dont have that much in my checking? Also, my bank isn't local, I cant just toss your cash into my account even if I do have plenty of money in there to cover the meal. Besides, once money is out of the account (ATM withdrawal), we treat it as spent money when balancing our finances. I can't stand that crap. Just split the damn check...the server has no problem using 2 cards to pay for a meal or paying part in cash and part in card...its not that hard for them to do. (Sorry, but we used to dine with a couple that tried to pull that crap all the time...partly so they could try and weasel out of tipping I think).

Uno
06-04-2010, 01:58 PM
I hate it when restaurants can't make change for my $100 bills when I buy a $30 meal. I mean, what the heck? It's legal currency...would they rather I pay in pennies???

Fundamental rule of commerce: Make it easy for people to give you money. But, yes, I've often been puzzled by the tendency of Americans to think that $100 bills are so terribly big. Any business should be able to handle that much, you'd think. In Norway, I'd say it doesn't get big until you get the 1000 kroner bill, and any normal drug store or gas station is capable of giving you change, let alone a restaurant. At least in Oslo. Might be different out in the sticks. That's about $200 today, by the way, probably 300 next week the way the dollar is dropping..

Davian93
06-04-2010, 02:01 PM
Fundamental rule of commerce: Make it easy for people to give you money. But, yes, I've often been puzzled by the tendency of Americans to think that $100 bills are so terribly big. Any business should be able to handle that much, you'd think. In Norway, I'd say it doesn't get big until you get the 1000 bill. That's about $200today, probably 300 next week the way the dollar is dropping..

An average restaurant should have no problem breaking a $100 bill. A Burger King or McDonalds shouldn't be expected to break large bills though. However, any average sit-down place above the level of a small diner shouldn't be troubled by it. Hell, the average meal for 2 is probably anywhere from $30-60...we're not talking a ton of change here.

Note: I have no idea where Birgitte is a server...I'm assuming a Bar/Grill (applebees, Fridays, etc) type place based on the $30 figure she threw out there.

Uno
06-04-2010, 02:09 PM
I don't patronize McDonalds or Burger King, anyway, and I at any rate pay mostly with cards these days. Actually, I don't normally pay at all, as I almost always go shopping with the wife and she tends to take care of it. Buying lunch and such isn't an issue, as I don't have that vice.

Another peeve I have is Theorylanders responding so fast to my posts that I don't have a chance to edit away the typos I never seem to be able to spot the first time around.

Davian93
06-04-2010, 02:14 PM
I don't patronize McDonalds or Burger King, anyway, and I at any rate pay mostly with cards these days. Actually, I don't normally pay at all, as I almost always go shopping with the wife and she tends to take care of it. Buying lunch and such isn't an issue, as I don't have that vice.

Another peeve I have is Theorylanders responding so fast to my posts that I don't have a chance to edit away the typos I never seem to be able to spot the first time around.

I only eat fast food if I'm traveling and even then its if we're really in a hurry. I don't really care for it all that much. Too much grease.

Once in a while, I get a craving for some sort of fast food but its rare. The closest thing to fast food I really like is subs/hoagies...but thats a result of growing up in the Philadelphia area.

Uno
06-04-2010, 02:19 PM
I only eat fast food if I'm traveling and even then its if we're really in a hurry. I don't really care for it all that much. Too much grease.

Once in a while, I get a craving for some sort of fast food but its rare. The closest thing to fast food I really like is subs/hoagies...but thats a result of growing up in the Philadelphia area.

Actually, I'll eat fast food now and then, but not from those two places. Their grub is just too foul to stomach.

Davian93
06-04-2010, 02:24 PM
Actually, I'll eat fast food now and then, but not from those two places. Their grub is just too foul to stomach.

I like McDonald's fries...if they're very fresh made.

Uno
06-04-2010, 02:37 PM
I like McDonald's fries...if they're very fresh made.

Not much for fries. They all taste vaguely like cardboard to me.

But to get back to topic, I agree with Brita about people I don't know touching me. I'd group those with the aforementioned blaggarts who think they're my friends upon first meeting me. These people, as noted, are also close talkers half of the time. In fact, there's an entire load of stinkers out there who don't seem to grasp the niceties of social interaction with strangers. These people annoy me.

Davian93
06-04-2010, 05:41 PM
Not much for fries. They all taste vaguely like cardboard to me.

But to get back to topic, I agree with Brita about people I don't know touching me. I'd group those with the aforementioned blaggarts who think they're my friends upon first meeting me. These people, as noted, are also close talkers half of the time. In fact, there's an entire load of stinkers out there who don't seem to grasp the niceties of social interaction with strangers. These people annoy me.

I agree on the touching thing...I absolutely can't stand people that violate personal space.

Jokeslayer
06-04-2010, 06:26 PM
Uptight people who complain about trivialities. I hate those people.

Davian93
06-04-2010, 06:44 PM
Uptight people who complain about trivialities. I hate those people.

I hate people that complain about people that complain.

Zaela Sedai
06-04-2010, 09:44 PM
I hate people who think it is their right or priority to tell me I should have a natural birth and breastfeed. STFU I will not take on pain if a needle in my back will stop it, and honestly I really would not feel comfortable breast feeding so leave me alone I didn't ask you. I love even more when they have 6-7 lb babies and talk about natural birth and how it all works out... try it with a 10 - 14 lb baby and tell me how it feels...

Birgitte
06-04-2010, 10:04 PM
Dav, you seem to be assuming that we have a cash register and the restaurant in really making the change. That's not the case. I have to make all my own change. I don't have the cash available to always carry change for a hundred on me all the time. No one I work with has the cash available to carry change for a hundred on them all the time. Even if I did, there is no way I could expect to have it all the time. My first table does that to me and I'm fucked for the rest of the night as far as making change goes. The restaurant refuses to supply us with anything as far as making change goes. The bar gets an actual cash drawer, but they don't have enough to make change for everyone and usually refuse to give it out to us servers. It's a real bitch to make change when someone pays a $30 tab with a bill. Actually being able to do it without begging the bar for change involves a lot of luck.

.the server has no problem using 2 cards to pay for a meal or paying part in cash and part in card...its not that hard for them to do.

Exactly. It's easy. It takes two seconds tops. Why do these people want to make it complicated? I can really do it any way you want me to and it won't take any longer than it took to type this sentence. Unless I have to go find change. I carry about sixty bucks on me in assorted bills, which covers nearly everything, though.

Matoyak
06-04-2010, 11:58 PM
People who assume based on looks that I do drugs. Fedora and long hair = druggie. Yup.

People who don't believe that I don't drink/do drugs. Just because I look like I look, and because I play guitar, and because I'm in college, doesn't mean I drink or do drugs. Stop trying to put your stereotypes on other people. And no, I do not "protest too much." Shut the fuck up, you aren't clever.

People who think drinking is "t3h aw3s0m3". Look, it's just a type of beverage. Drink it when thirsty. Getting drunk is NOT "cool", and makes you an ass. Also, no, you don't have to drink because you're in college. Stop looking for retarded excuses to do something you shouldn't do in excess, and get over your bad habit.

People who go out of their way to be a stereotype. You look like a douche, and earn people's scorn.

One word (or even worse, one letter) text messages. Seriously, it is NOT hard to type a full sentence. Spend maybe five seconds and flesh out what the heck you're saying.

Lack of use of turn signals. Seriously...it is not hard to use them. You move your hand about three inches...if that.

tworiverswoman
06-05-2010, 12:56 AM
Mato, I feel your pain. And I love that you're not typical of your generation. (Or mine, come to that...:p)

Birgitte, I am bewildered by your restaurant's attitude toward making change. That ... makes no damn sense.

The trick with McDonalds (or any fast-food joint, really) is to order your fries WITHOUT SALT. Then they have to make a batch FRESH, just for you, because they auto-salt every batch. All those places come with packets of salt and pepper you can get either from the cashier (so she gives you an odd look... so what?) or from an open condiment station. The same thing applies to burgers, of course. I'm weird, apparently. I hate cheeseburgers. And NO ONE sells "hamburgers" anymore.

Most of my pet peeves have been covered by others. I'll jump on the "no turn signal" one. Oh, and then there's the people who don't turn right on red (legal here unless specifically prohibited by a sign), and also the people who, if they would inch forward about 2 feet, would give ME room to turn right on red but just squat there in my way. MOVE YOUR BLOOMIN' ARSE, DAMMIT!

Another one... people who pass on the shoulder when the freeway feeder lane is backed up. If you don't have a flashing red or blue light, you AREN'T supposed to do that! Get back in line with the rest of us - you aren't special!

Last one: people who bring small children to sit-down restaurants, period.

Terez
06-05-2010, 06:11 AM
I have worked at two non-diner restaurants, and they had the same policy as B's restaurant. We had to bring enough money to work each day to make change for customers.

Oatman
06-05-2010, 07:20 AM
I can really do it any way you want me to and it won't take any longer than it took to type this sentence.

It's fun to take things out of context.

Jokeslayer
06-05-2010, 07:24 AM
People who steal the joke I wanted to make.

Uno
06-05-2010, 08:07 AM
Dav, you seem to be assuming that we have a cash register and the restaurant in really making the change. That's not the case. I have to make all my own change.

Obviously, I know nothing about how the restaurant business works. Bringing your own change? Why? That doesn't make any sense. Stores provide change for their clerks, so why the dickens don't restaurants for their waiters? Odd, that.

Funnily enough, I can't think of anything lately that has really annoyed me about my students. Either the kids at my current university are so much better than the slackers I've dealt with elsewhere that I don't really get annoyed--which is extraordinary--or I'm mellowing.

I do, however, still get annoyed by people who say "dude."

Terez
06-05-2010, 08:38 AM
Obviously, I know nothing about how the restaurant business works. Bringing your own change? Why? That doesn't make any sense. Stores provide change for their clerks, so why the dickens don't restaurants for their waiters? Odd, that.
Dude. I'll tell you how it happened. A store has to dedicate a certain amount of money to change tills. Some time in the past, there was a brilliant manager who realized that everybody in the world was applying for a job as a server at his restaurant because it is damn good money. He decides that he could add a tidy bit (probably around $1000) to his profits by requiring the servers to make their own change. It caught on, and now it's fairly standard practice. It sort of weeds out the applicants who are totally strapped for cash, too; there is a certain logic behind wanting to weed out those employees.

Jokeslayer
06-05-2010, 08:49 AM
Dude. I'll tell you how it happened. A store has to dedicate a certain amount of money to change tills. Some time in the past, there was a brilliant manager who realized that everybody in the world was applying for a job as a server at his restaurant because it is damn good money. He decides that he could add a tidy bit (probably around $1000) to his profits by requiring the servers to make their own change. It caught on, and now it's fairly standard practice. It sort of weeds out the applicants who are totally strapped for cash, too; there is a certain logic behind wanting to weed out those employees.

Cutting out the float only adds that money once at the expense of pissing off everyone, staff and customers. Doesn't seem all that brilliant to me.

Oatman
06-05-2010, 09:17 AM
I'm pretty sure it's more that if the place gets held up it's the staff that lose the money, not the restaurant.

DahLliA
06-05-2010, 09:38 AM
not giving servers change just seem like a retarded thing to me.

now let's see. what pisses me off.

oh I know. people piss me off :p

Bryan Blaire
06-05-2010, 10:13 AM
I think the not giving servers cash for change was originally set up that way at this particular set of family owned resteraunts to minimize the amount of settling up that had to be done between servers, the tills, and sales every night. If the servers are required to bring their own cash change, then any cash they take in and give out is all their money, and there is no settling up with the resteraunt over cash money that should be the server's vs. cash that is owed back to the store from making change. Potentially cuts down on time spent (which means having to pay said servers less hourly wage - even at 2.15 an hour) and frustrations/complaints all around for the managerial staff.

I have some peeves, but I need to think about them and get a list going.

Sarevok
06-05-2010, 01:35 PM
If the servers are required to bring their own cash change, then any cash they take in and give out is all their money,

How would that work? Shouldn't the part of the cash they take in as payment for the food they served be given to the manager sometime during the day?:confused:
I'd say it would make much more sense to give them a purse full of change they ca njust give the whole thing back at the end of the day...
Also, why not make them walk over to a cash register? I mean, the store needs to have some kind of central thingy to print the reciepts and process credit cards, anyway...

The only argument I've seen here that makes sense is:
I'm pretty sure it's more that if the place gets held up it's the staff that lose the money, not the restaurant.

DahLliA
06-05-2010, 01:40 PM
don't really see the problem with giving each server, say, $100 worth of change at the start of the day and then just add $100 to the amount they have to deliver to the restaurant?

or I guess it depends on how that and tips are sorted.

Matoyak
06-06-2010, 09:10 AM
I felt that this would benefit this thread.
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a218/matoyak/Baby.png

Ishara
06-06-2010, 11:49 AM
Exactly. LOL

Anaiya Sedai
06-06-2010, 12:22 PM
SHE'S kettle? Chavvy bitch. (Did I use it in a sentence right?) Oh, and you don't and haven't. Trust. xo

Absolutely. :D

Crispin's Crispian
06-06-2010, 12:37 PM
I hate people who think it is their right or priority to tell me I should have a natural birth and breastfeed. STFU I will not take on pain if a needle in my back will stop it, and honestly I really would not feel comfortable breast feeding so leave me alone I didn't ask you. I love even more when they have 6-7 lb babies and talk about natural birth and how it all works out... try it with a 10 - 14 lb baby and tell me how it feels...
I hate people that tell you what you should do about anything, unless you ask first.

"You know what you should do...?"

Yes, I should stop listening.

In all seriouness, I'm a huge proponent of natural birth and breastfeeding, but I absolutely hate giving unsolicited advice and sounding preachy. If you ask me, I will tell you all about what I learned as a birth coach, and everything I know about how natural birth is safe and breastfeeding is great. But if you don't ask, I'm probably not going to say anything.

I guess that makes me a bad advocate.

Ivhon
06-06-2010, 01:48 PM
Back to cars: hallogen headlights

sure, YOU can see better - but you blind everybody within half a mile going in either direction

SauceyBlueConfetti
06-06-2010, 05:50 PM
Oh you hit it...
PEOPLE WHO CHANGE THEIR OWN HEADLIGHTS AND DON'T REALIZE THEY HAVE SCREWED UP THE ALIGNMENT

I am sick of being blinded by IDIOTS who won't go to Murray's Discount Auto Store and let the guy there do it for ONE DOLLAR!!!

JSUCamel
06-06-2010, 05:59 PM
Back to cars: hallogen headlights

sure, YOU can see better - but you blind everybody within half a mile going in either direction

The blue ones? You got it. Yellow headlights ftw.

Zaela Sedai
06-06-2010, 07:11 PM
I hate people that tell you what you should do about anything, unless you ask first.

I'm all for a healthy discussion or even hearing how great it was for someone, I just know I have no desire to experiance a natural birth so stop telling me how horrible I am for it. To each their own, I just wish people respected that.

Oh I have one...along the same lines... I have no problem with people breastfeeding in public...Baby needs to eat. But we were at dairy queen the other day and there was a women in the line next to me who just whipped out her boob and started feeding her kid while ordering icecream, She had one of the unsnapable tank tops on... it was bad. I think the 17 year old kid behind the counter almost had a heart attack.

Bryan Blaire
06-06-2010, 08:01 PM
I see that Ivhon has been driving in Austin, and the traffic/driving situation there hasn't changed!

I think that Ivhon and Davian hit most of mine.

Bryan Blaire
06-06-2010, 08:03 PM
How would that work? Shouldn't the part of the cash they take in as payment for the food they served be given to the manager sometime during the day?:confused:
I'd say it would make much more sense to give them a purse full of change they ca njust give the whole thing back at the end of the day...
Also, why not make them walk over to a cash register? I mean, the store needs to have some kind of central thingy to print the reciepts and process credit cards, anyway...

If I recall correctly, they just pay the store out of their pocket for the food they serve at the end of the day in one lump sum.

Davian93
06-07-2010, 06:14 AM
Oh I have one...along the same lines... I have no problem with people breastfeeding in public...Baby needs to eat. But we were at dairy queen the other day and there was a women in the line next to me who just whipped out her boob and started feeding her kid while ordering icecream, She had one of the unsnapable tank tops on... it was bad. I think the 17 year old kid behind the counter almost had a heart attack.

If only they made something like a pump that would preclude the need to just whip it out like that.

For the record, I have no issues with breastfeeding in public...just toss a towel over it so the whole world doesn't need to see your quite typically unpleasant looking boobs.

Crispin's Crispian
06-07-2010, 10:26 AM
If only they made something like a pump that would preclude the need to just whip it out like that.
You make it sound so simple. There's a lot more involved than just pumping a little milk to a bottle in your pocket and hoping your kid will eat it.

For the record, I have no issues with breastfeeding in public...just toss a towel over it so the whole world doesn't need to see your quite typically unpleasant looking boobs.

Real classy, Dav. So you're saying if they had nice tits you wouldn't mind.

I think some people do it just to make a point. I obviously have no problem with it, in public or anywhere else. But everyone I know that did it (my wife included) was a least a little discreet. We had a great sling that let the kids eat or sleep or do whatever and you couldn't tell the difference.

And Z--it was Dairy Queen. C'mon.

Davian93
06-07-2010, 10:30 AM
Real classy, Dav. So you're saying if they had nice tits you wouldn't mind.

Perhaps I phrased that poorly...Even in the case of nice ones, a towel would be appreciated.

GonzoTheGreat
06-07-2010, 11:43 AM
Real classy, Dav. So you're saying if they had nice tits you wouldn't mind.Now you have me wondering what the politically correct method of expressing this sentiment in the checkout line of the dairy queen is. Can someone tell me how to handle this, in case I ever find myself in that specific situation?

Ivhon
06-07-2010, 12:06 PM
Now you have me wondering what the politically correct method of expressing this sentiment in the checkout line of the dairy queen is. Can someone tell me how to handle this, in case I ever find myself in that specific situation?

Something along the lines of "Ma'am, I think it is such a beautiful thing that you are willing to share your God-given nurturance right here in line. Since you seem so giving, I wonder if I could prevail upon you to donate a bit of your milk to make my Oreo (TM) Blizzard (TM)?"

Uno
06-07-2010, 12:09 PM
Something along the lines of "Ma'am, I think it is such a beautiful thing that you are willing to share your God-given nurturance right here in line. Since you seem so giving, I wonder if I could prevail upon you to donate a bit of your milk to make my Oreo (TM) Blizzard (TM)?"

Blagh. I don't drink milk. I'm less likely to start doing so after reading this post.

GonzoTheGreat
06-07-2010, 12:17 PM
Blagh. I don't drink milk. I'm less likely to start doing so after reading this post.With such an attitude towards motherhood (and presumably apple pie), you'll never manage to win an election.

Davian93
06-07-2010, 12:19 PM
Serious question: Does breastmilk transmit diseases (like AIDS, heptatitis?)

If so, wouldn't public breastfeeding be a health of others issue too? I mean, if it does (I honestly dont know), wouldnt it be the same as blood for the health concerns?

Uno
06-07-2010, 12:20 PM
Serious question: Does breastmilk transmit diseases (like AIDS, heptatitis?)

If so, wouldn't public breastfeeding be a health of others issue too? I mean, if it does (I honestly dont know), wouldnt it be the same as blood for the health concerns?

Only in the case of food fights, I'd say.

Anaiya Sedai
06-07-2010, 03:21 PM
In all seriouness, I'm a huge proponent of natural birth and breastfeeding, but I absolutely hate giving unsolicited advice and sounding preachy. If you ask me, I will tell you all about what I learned as a birth coach, and everything I know about how natural birth is safe and breastfeeding is great. But if you don't ask, I'm probably not going to say anything.

I'm with ya on that one.

I think some people do it just to make a point. I obviously have no problem with it, in public or anywhere else. But everyone I know that did it (my wife included) was a least a little discreet. We had a great sling that let the kids eat or sleep or do whatever and you couldn't tell the difference.

And Z--it was Dairy Queen. C'mon.

lol at Dairy Queen.
I breastfeed in public. But I usually do it so discreetly that even if I was talking to someone at the same time, they woudn't notice. When people complain about others feeding in public just because they are doing it, not because anything is visible, I think they don't have to look. Of course, if the whole rack is on show, it's a whole different lump all together.

*People who think parenting is a competition. Of course, at the age of 10 months, raptor read and write, and will graduate with honours from Oxford next year, but that's beside the point.

Crispin's Crispian
06-07-2010, 04:16 PM
II think they don't have to look. Of course, if the whole rack is on show, it's a whole different lump all together.

Or maybe two...?

~wince~

*People who think parenting is a competition. Of course, at the age of 10 months, raptor read and write, and will graduate with honours from Oxford next year, but that's beside the point.Is that all? Mine just got back from the moon, where they've worked since they were One on building a homeless shelter for refugees displaced by the rocket attack.

Ishara
06-07-2010, 08:37 PM
*People who think parenting is a competition. Of course, at the age of 10 months, raptor read and write, and will graduate with honours from Oxford next year, but that's beside the point.

This. I'm not even a parent and it drives me mental.

Zaela Sedai
06-07-2010, 09:08 PM
Of course, if the whole rack is on show, it's a whole different lump all together.

HHAHAHAHAH and yes thats my point

Hopper
06-07-2010, 10:56 PM
if the whole rack is on show, it's a whole different lump all together.

I think it's lumpy racks that upset Dav in the first place.

DahLliA
06-08-2010, 03:40 AM
mmm, lumps and racks

*drool*

JSUCamel
06-09-2010, 11:50 PM
Facebook's trend of causing people to use the passive voice:

"Jane is wanting to go to the movies tonight."

instead of

"Jane wants to go to the movies tonight."

Also, when reporters refer to themselves as "this reporter" in an article, as in: "This reporter bought an iPad after the convention". Ugh. Just say "I bought an iPad".

Ivhon
06-10-2010, 12:29 AM
My language Nazi contribution.

"Utilize"

say "use" please, you pretentious ass.

Sarevok
06-10-2010, 01:55 AM
Also, when reporters refer to themselves as "this reporter" in an article, as in: "This reporter bought an iPad after the convention". Ugh. Just say "I bought an iPad".

Actually, reporters are supposed to impartially report on something, unless it's a column. So bringing himself up in any would would be unprofessional, IMO. Much better would be to say "x number of people have bought iPads."

Davian93
06-10-2010, 07:37 AM
Facebook's trend of causing people to use the passive voice:

"Jane is wanting to go to the movies tonight."

instead of

"Jane wants to go to the movies tonight."

I recall being taught to write that way in English Composition class in college as it was a form of proper writing...distancing oneself from the material at hand and all that jazz.

JSUCamel
06-10-2010, 08:01 AM
I recall being taught to write that way in English Composition class in college as it was a form of proper writing...distancing oneself from the material at hand and all that jazz.

Actually, reporters are supposed to impartially report on something, unless it's a column. So bringing himself up in any would would be unprofessional, IMO. Much better would be to say "x number of people have bought iPads."

If the reporter participates in whatever they're reporting on, as opposed to passively watching from the sideline, then they're involved and not impartial. You can't distance yourself from something you were involved in. It's pretentious otherwise. It's annoying as shit.

If you have to refer to yourself in an article, I'd much prefer that you say something like: "[Author's note: I bought an iPad.]" Don't say "This reporter". Gah.

Ivhon
06-10-2010, 08:06 AM
If the reporter participates in whatever they're reporting on, as opposed to passively watching from the sideline, then they're involved and not impartial. You can't distance yourself from something you were involved in. It's pretentious otherwise. It's annoying as shit.

If you have to refer to yourself in an article, I'd much prefer that you say something like: "[Author's note: I bought an iPad.]" Don't say "This reporter". Gah.

While this writer agrees with you conceptually, there are probably rules about this sort of thing.

For example, until such time as I am a noted, published, post-doctoral writer (a.k.a. never) any professional or academic writing I submit must be in APA format (which incidentally forbids "I") or it will be rejected.

Sucks, but there it is.

Crispin's Crispian
06-10-2010, 12:10 PM
While this writer agrees with you conceptually, there are probably rules about this sort of thing.

For example, until such time as I am a noted, published, post-doctoral writer (a.k.a. never) any professional or academic writing I submit must be in APA format (which incidentally forbids "I") or it will be rejected.

Sucks, but there it is.

I can't speak much about reporting, though I find it odd that a reporter would need to use "I" in many situations. Unless it's a specific review that requires a specific expert or author, a reporter should be able to use the third person without problems. "CNet tested the new iPad from Apple..." instead of "I bought an iPad."

The same goes for academic or scientific writing. In scientific writing, you need to use the passive voice a lot, "The four sets of data were analyzed" because you're taking the personal researcher out of the process. Ivhon, what types of writing are you doing that require you to reference yourself?

Ivhon
06-10-2010, 12:30 PM
I can't speak much about reporting, though I find it odd that a reporter would need to use "I" in many situations. Unless it's a specific review that requires a specific expert or author, a reporter should be able to use the third person without problems. "CNet tested the new iPad from Apple..." instead of "I bought an iPad."

The same goes for academic or scientific writing. In scientific writing, you need to use the passive voice a lot, "The four sets of data were analyzed" because you're taking the personal researcher out of the process. Ivhon, what types of writing are you doing that require you to reference yourself?

I was speaking more hypothetically, although occasionally I get to express opinion. Still has to be APA format, though, which means no first person so you retreat into passive voice. Which is boring.

I do find it amusing that one has to refer to one's self in 3rd person when citing one's own research. If I had any research to cite, I would find this frustrating, but since I don't its funny. "In a seminal 2010 study, Ivhon found that Ivhon is, indeed, divine (p. 1246)."

Crispin's Crispian
06-10-2010, 12:57 PM
I was speaking more hypothetically, although occasionally I get to express opinion. Still has to be APA format, though, which means no first person so you retreat into passive voice. Which is boring.

I do find it amusing that one has to refer to one's self in 3rd person when citing one's own research. If I had any research to cite, I would find this frustrating, but since I don't its funny. "In a seminal 2010 study, Ivhon found that Ivhon is, indeed, divine (p. 1246)."

hehe...you said "seminal."

Oops. I mean, "Amusingly, Ivhon said seminal."

Ivhon
06-10-2010, 01:27 PM
hehe...you said "seminal."

Oops. I mean, "Amusingly, Ivhon said seminal."

year of the study and page number if you are using a direct quotation. Otherwise your academic career is ruined.

Crispin's Crispian
06-10-2010, 02:09 PM
year of the study and page number if you are using a direct quotation. Otherwise your academic career is ruined.

Amusing, Ivhon said "seminal" (2009, 115).

MLA: Ivhon. "Little Things". Theoryland.com. 6/10/2010 <www.theoryland.com>

APA: Ivhon. (2010, June 10). Little things. Retrieved from http://www.theoryland.com

Belazamon
06-11-2010, 04:04 PM
An average restaurant should have no problem breaking a $100 bill. A Burger King or McDonalds shouldn't be expected to break large bills though.
To get back to the money thing - I was reminded of something else that doesn't necessarily peeve me so much as baffle me.

As some of you know, I work at a movie theater. Back in my concession days, I was often annoyed/flabbergasted by the people who paid for their popcorn and soda with a $100 bill. Why did this confuse me so? Well, frankly, I never understood how they purchased their tickets at the box office and still didn't have any bills smaller than $100. And since concession workers are expected to drop their larger bills, a supervisor or a manager just has to go straight back to the aforementioned box office to get change anyway.

tworiverswoman
06-17-2010, 06:46 PM
(I'm bringing this back up just because I needed to look at our minimum wage law today and remembered this thread when I read it.)

B, if you want to waitress (yeah, yeah, I know) you might consider moving to Hawaii. Hawaii State Law has set our minimum wage at $7.25 per hour, and "Section 387-2, HRS, also provides that the employer may pay tipped employees twenty-five cents per hour less than the applicable minimum wage if the tipped employee 1) Regularly and customarily receives more than $20 a month in tips; and 2) The combined amount the employee receives from the employer and in tips is at least 50 cents an hour more than the applicable minimum wage.

So... THAT for your lousy $2 per hour... Christ.

In addition, if you regularly work 20 hours or more per week, after four weeks your employer is REQUIRED to cover you on a health plan, and can't deduct more than one-half of one percent of your monthly gross earnings to cost-share with you.

Ishara
06-19-2010, 09:58 PM
Move to Canada! We pay our servers almost $8/hr, a bit less if it's a bar. See? Easy peasy.

Davian93
06-20-2010, 07:57 PM
Move to Canada! We pay our servers almost $8/hr, a bit less if it's a bar. See? Easy peasy.

Is that a national thing or does it go by province?

I mean, what are the tipping customs in Canadia?

JSUCamel
06-20-2010, 08:14 PM
Is that a national thing or does it go by province?

I mean, what are the tipping customs in Canadia?

I don't know about Canadia, but I know in Europe it's not customary to tip much, if at all. The only reason tipping is so prevalent in American culture is because of the minimum wage laws regarding waiters, bartenders, etc. In most of Europe, as I understand it, they get minimum wage no matter what, so people don't tip as much.

A LOT of waiters in the U.S. get pissed off when they get European customers because they don't tip.

Ivhon
06-20-2010, 08:15 PM
I don't know about Canadia, but I know in Europe it's not customary to tip much, if at all. The only reason tipping is so prevalent in American culture is because of the minimum wage laws regarding waiters, bartenders, etc. In most of Europe, as I understand it, they get minimum wage no matter what, so people don't tip as much.

A LOT of waiters in the U.S. get pissed off when they get European customers because they don't tip.

Same with Canadan customers, iirc.

Birgitte
06-20-2010, 09:57 PM

That's the current most likely plan of action. :D

I've heard that but I've never ever witnessed it and since we're less than ten minutes from an international airport, we do tend to get the world travelers. I think Europeans mostly know how it goes here as far as the tipping thing goes and they go with our ways.

Not that I know of. It's really just a codeword for African Americans that allows us servers to be racist bastards without being terribly obvious about it. Sad, but true.

Terez
06-21-2010, 06:29 AM
Roommates who are always home. Can't you go somewhere every now and then?

Sei'taer
06-21-2010, 07:57 AM
Contractors who are going to be the biggest and the baddest. All of them are driving hummers, they have $5 million worth of equipment, 50 employess and they haven't even done their first project yet.

Drama queen sisters who want to be saved from their equally shitty drama queen husband on fathers day because there hasn't been any drama for a few days. No can do. Tried to help you the last 15 times, not doing it anymore. Good luck.

Contractors who say "well, that's how we usually do it down in Mississippi." Sorry butthead, this isn't Mississippi.

Ishara
06-21-2010, 08:48 AM

NOT! We tip same as you folks do, 10-15% of whatever it is you're getting, wherever it is you're eating. Higher if it's a good server. I've been known to leave upwards of 20% for good service, cause I have been there and done that.

Contractors who say "well, that's how we usually do it down in Mississippi." Sorry butthead, this isn't Mississippi. Heh. Yeah, people who say, "back when I was in ..., we did it ..." Gah. Stop talking. You're here now, learn how we do it here.

Davian93
06-21-2010, 08:50 AM
NOT! We tip same as you folks do, 10-15% of whatever it is you're getting, wherever it is you're eating. Higher if it's a good server. I've been known to leave upwards of 20% for good service, cause I have been there and done that.

So servers in Canadia get paid a livable wage AND still get 15% tips. Must be tough.

Ishara
06-21-2010, 08:52 AM
Ha. Well, you still have to work the full-time hours to make a living off the wage, which never happens in service here, but sure. We rock, remember?

Also, you're still serving people, who sometimes suck. So, there's that.

Ivhon
06-21-2010, 08:53 AM
Also, you're still serving people, who sometimes suck. So, there's that.

Can I get back tips for my 4 years in retail? I had two death threats...that oughtta be worth a tip.

Davian93
06-21-2010, 09:23 AM
Can I get back tips for my 4 years in retail? I had two death threats...that oughtta be worth a tip.

Death threat in retail? Next time just accept the exchange, dude.

Ivhon
06-21-2010, 09:32 AM
Death threat in retail? Next time just accept the exchange, dude.

They were both on repairs. Neither serious, to be honest, but it gave me an excuse to call the cops.

EDIT: in regards to silliness, my mentor manager got shot in the stomach for not emptying $200 out of the drawer.

Davian93
06-21-2010, 09:56 AM
They were both on repairs. Neither serious, to be honest, but it gave me an excuse to call the cops.

EDIT: in regards to silliness, my mentor manager got shot in the stomach for not emptying $200 out of the drawer.

What a dumba$$.

Ivhon
06-21-2010, 10:03 AM
What a dumba$$.

that's what I told him in the hospital. ex-drill sargeant, thought he could disarm the guy.

helluva drinker.

Davian93
06-21-2010, 10:38 AM
that's what I told him in the hospital. ex-drill sargeant, thought he could disarm the guy.

helluva drinker.

Well, did he disarm the guy after getting shot? Because that would be pretty hard-core.