PDA

View Full Version : 2 baseball questions

WinespringBrother
06-03-2010, 10:21 AM
1) Should Selig overturn the bad call at the end of the perfect game yesterday?

I say yes, though that would probably open a big can of worms.

2) Should instant replay be expanded?

Yes, IMO, the umpiring has reached epic fail proportions this year.

Thoughts?

Davian93
06-03-2010, 11:00 AM
No

and

Maybe.

If he overturns this call, where does it stop? Human error is a part of the game. He shouldn't overturn this call. If anything, its a call for expanded instant replay.

WinespringBrother
06-03-2010, 11:10 AM
No

and

Maybe.

If he overturns this call, where does it stop? Human error is a part of the game. He shouldn't overturn this call. If anything, its a call for expanded instant replay.

I'd prefer to see the outcome of the game determined by the actions of the players, not the lapses by the officials. I think replay on home runs has been a boon for the game in eliminating errors that can obviously have a huge impact on games, and they should find some way to expand it - after all, the technology is already in place for video reviews.

Ivhon
06-03-2010, 11:30 AM
I'll say that I was impressed that the ump in question owned up to his mistake.

I was far more impressed by how Galleraga handled the situation. Totally classy.

As for the rest...meh, baseball. Games are determined by who does the best steroids...all the rest is dross.

Sei'taer
06-03-2010, 11:36 AM
I'm far from a purist, but I say no. And I say no to instant replay too. That's part of the game and it's part of what makes the game great.

Kimon
06-03-2010, 03:13 PM
Well living just outside Detroit, I watched the whole game, and can't believe that because of that call the Tigers still don't have a perfect game in 116 years. It was clearly a bad call, though more for the situation obviously than for the actual "badness" of the call. It was a close play, and in just about any other game, it would have just been overlooked as a marginal call, that the ump blew, but that was close enough that no one would really care. But when it came as what should have been the 27th, and perfect out...

Still not sure about the idea of overturning it though. I guess they could put an asterix on the game and call it an "almost" perfect game- which is to say perfect, but for that lousy call at first base.

Replay for home runs seems to have worked fine. But do we really want to have this game open up baseball to instant replay for calls of safe or out at all of the bases? I suppose you could allow each team one challenge replay per game, that at least wouldn't slow down an already slow game.

WinespringBrother
06-03-2010, 03:50 PM
Well living just outside Detroit, I watched the whole game, and can't believe that because of that call the Tigers still don't have a perfect game in 116 years. It was clearly a bad call, though more for the situation obviously than for the actual "badness" of the call. It was a close play, and in just about any other game, it would have just been overlooked as a marginal call, that the ump blew, but that was close enough that no one would really care. But when it came as what should have been the 27th, and perfect out...

Still not sure about the idea of overturning it though. I guess they could put an asterix on the game and call it an "almost" perfect game- which is to say perfect, but for that lousy call at first base.

Replay for home runs seems to have worked fine. But do we really want to have this game open up baseball to instant replay for calls of safe or out at all of the bases? I suppose you could allow each team one challenge replay per game, that at least wouldn't slow down an already slow game.

The teams don't have challenges now. I think the replays should be left to the discretion of the umpires like the home run replays are, or the League (which IIRC is done in the NHL for disputed goals), but they should be used on close plays, especially at a critical juncture or when something significant is at stake.

bowlwoman
06-03-2010, 03:53 PM
I'm torn on whether or not they should overturn it. On the one hand, it sh/would have been the last out of the game, so it avoids the whole, "bad call in the 5th would have changed the situation for the 6th, 7th, 8th, and 9th innings" issue. Baseball is linear, so you can't alter something at a previous point without it affecting everything else down the line. But then again, on the other hand, worms, meet can. I think people would consider this a special, specific instance, but what would be the implication for previous calls of this nature?

As to instant replay, I don't think they should have it available for normal, run-of-the-mill games and situations. However, in special circumstances, like this one where you have a perfect game on the line, or during the playoffs or World Series where there is some sort of historical impact, then yeah, there should be the option for reviewing a questionable call.

bowlwoman
06-03-2010, 03:58 PM
Looks like Selig isn't going to overturn it:

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/37479309/ns/sports-baseball/

Ivhon
06-03-2010, 04:47 PM
"shwould" = new favorite word!

SauceyBlueConfetti
06-03-2010, 05:24 PM
me = just outside Detroit

While my heart broke last night, I agree, no, you cannot overturn this.

:(

Instant replay can just make the game EVEN LONGER so I am not sure how I feel about that just now.

Weird Harold
06-04-2010, 05:45 AM
I'd prefer to see the outcome of the game determined by the actions of the players, not the lapses by the officials. I think replay on home runs has been a boon for the game in eliminating errors that can obviously have a huge impact on games, and they should find some way to expand it - after all, the technology is already in place for video reviews.
The technology exists to replace umpires and referees completely; it should be used by MLB to prevent this sort of atrocity. :D

GonzoTheGreat
06-04-2010, 05:51 AM
What's the matter? Did someone score a home run (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baseball_metaphors_for_sex) on prime time television?

I have to admit that for someone who has not watched it, this thread is not really informative.

yks 6nnetu hing
06-04-2010, 06:23 AM
The technology exists to replace umpires and referees completely; it should be used by MLB to prevent this sort of atrocity. :D

opposite end: in the game that decided whether France or Ireland would go to the football (the one played with feet, not padding) World Cup (the one where the world is actually participating) Thierry Henry touched the ball with his hand in the situation leading up to the French goal. The ref didn't see it, so it didn't happen even though Henry and the French team as a whole admitted that it did and offered Ireland a re-match. But since the ref didn't see it, France is going to South Africa.

Speaking of South Africa, next week!!! woohooooo!

Zaela Sedai
06-04-2010, 06:39 AM
Yes it should be overturned, a situation like this will mostlikely never happen again. Yes there should be instant replay like for homeruns, but only for such scenerios, and Playoffs really. Games are too long to have it be a constant.

I can't believe there have been 3 perfect games this year...

Sei'taer
06-04-2010, 06:48 AM
What's the matter? Did someone score a home run (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baseball_metaphors_for_sex) on prime time television?

I have to admit that for someone who has not watched it, this thread is not really informative.

You don't score a home run, you hit a home run. you score a run.

A guy pitched a perfect game, but a crappy call on the last out cost him his spot in history. He would have been the 21st person to pitch a perfect game. (http://abcnews.go.com/US/video/perfect-gamenot-10813343)

irerancincpkc
06-04-2010, 07:10 AM
I really don't care if they overturn it or not, because to me and almost every other baseball fan, Galleraga pitched a perfect game, no doubt about it.

Yes, we need instant replay...

WinespringBrother
06-04-2010, 08:40 AM
I really don't care if they overturn it or not, because to me and almost every other baseball fan, Galleraga pitched a perfect game, no doubt about it.

Yes, we need instant replay...

Caveat: If Galarraga takes and fails a PED test, then an asterisk is put next to his 28 out "perfect game" :D

Zaela Sedai
06-04-2010, 08:44 AM
The HoF should put him on the No Hitter / Perfect Game wall anyways...with a picture of him and Joyce... both class acts

pops taer
06-04-2010, 09:23 AM
Okay, here's Pops theory. I don't want Bud Selig or any other management type involved in the game on the field any more than necessary. No he should not overturn the call.
Instant Replay to a limited amount should be used. As is today plus maybe two or three other situations, one being did the fan reach into the play area and interfere with a player attempting to catch the ball.

I agree that both the umpire and player showed true class in handling the situation. But I also have an idea that the ump might have used to settle the issue. Umpires have rarely asked for help on these kinds of plays no matter how critical. By help I mean from each other. The first base umpire could have pulled the other three umps together and said, I think I blew that one. I need your help to get it right and not screw this game up. Did the pitcher have his foot on the base when he caught the ball? Did he juggle the ball or not have control of it? Okay so we all agree the runner was truly out? Good. Then turned and called the runner out. End of game. Perfect game stands and all is well that ends!!!!

yks.... I look forward to this time of year regularly. The World Series of College Softball and Baseball plus the World Cup of Soccer either men or women every 4 years. A true treat for me.

irerancincpkc
06-04-2010, 11:32 AM
Caveat: If Galarraga takes and fails a PED test, then an asterisk is put next to his 28 out "perfect game" :D

If he fails a PED test than I think Joyce will be doing cartwheels... :D

Sinistrum
06-04-2010, 01:22 PM
I don't think the call should be overturned if for nothing else then its not fair to the other players who accrued statistics on the play that occur afterward that eventually ended the game or the base runner that got a "hit" off it. It just seems off to me to go back and say "btw, the last couple of minutes of the game didn't really happen even though everyone who was there watched it happen."

As for replay, I think they absolutely have to do it now. I think the best system would be to make it like the coaches challenge system in the NFL. Give each manager two or three challenges a game on calls that they can use to initiate replay. That way the "authenticity" crowd can keep most of their human error based calls but the "get it right" crowd can have replay in instances in which a really big screw up like this one occurs. Oh yeah, and it definitely needs to be limited to things like base running calls and homeruns. Replay for balls and strikes would just be ridiculous and overly time consuming.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and speaking of the World Cup, tana has started a World Cup pick 'em bracket on Yahoo. I think there was a thread about it posted awhile ago with the league link and password. It's pretty fun so anyone who is interested should sign up.

WinespringBrother
06-04-2010, 01:43 PM
Another thought is to add a scoring rule called Umpire Error. I've read on numerous occasions about scoring rulings changed a day or days after a game, where a hit is changed to an error or vice versa. Change the hit to E-U and at least give him a no-hitter.

Davian93
06-04-2010, 01:45 PM
Another thought is to add a scoring rule called Umpire Error. I've read on numerous occasions about scoring rulings changed a day or days after a game, where a hit is changed to an error or vice versa. Change the hit to E-U and at least give him a no-hitter.

The official scorer has up to 24 hours to change a play like that. He reviewed it several times to see if it was an error and couldn't do it. If he did, he should be fired from his job as an official scorer, no matter how pure his intentions were. They interviewed him on MLB Network the night of the play and he talked about it.

WinespringBrother
06-04-2010, 03:18 PM
Well, I hope he gets cool vanity plates for his Corvette, like IMPRFCT or 28OUTS or something like that :)

JSUCamel
06-04-2010, 03:48 PM
Well, I hope he gets cool vanity plates for his Corvette, like IMPRFCT or 28OUTS or something like that :)

Why would he get a tag that says "Imperfect"?

WinespringBrother
06-04-2010, 03:54 PM
Why would he get a tag that says "Imperfect"?

Since space on license plates is so limited, it is an abbreviated commentary on the whole state of affairs that led him to lose his perfect game, though he has showed outstanding sportsmanship. Also, it could mean I'm Perfect.

The Great Serpent
06-07-2010, 05:24 PM
It is clear that Armando was perfect,
And a No-No's more sweet than a Corvette,
Guv'nah Jenny says 'Out!',
And Tigers fans should pout,
Should the Pres order Selig to change it? (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ap-joycescall-whitehouse)
________
Medical Marijuana Card (http://medicalmarijuanacard.info)