PDA

View Full Version : Youngest to ever ________

Ivhon
06-10-2010, 02:54 PM
So there have been a few of these things lately and they seem to be the trend. A 13 year old became the youngest to summit Everest. A 17 year old Australian became the youngest to circumnavigate the world.

Today, another - 16 year old American girl - of these push the limit lower types is feared lost at sea.

What do you guys think? Should parents be encouraging this stuff? Discouraging it?

I don't remember a big deal ever being made about "youngest" records until very recently, so part of me has a sick feeling that this is the latest manifestation of competitive parenting with children's lives being at stake. I hope they end up finding this girl, but it sounds kindof scary.

Fortunately, Guiness has stopped tracking the youngest to _______ out of this very concern.

On the other hand, it could be a series of very driven and strongwilled kids. No reason to suppose they can't have the skills to do these things.

On the third hand, where is the line of TOO young? Is it simply delineated by physical skills? What about judgment or lack thereof in the developing brain? Where SHOULD an adult step in and say, "I know you really want to do this and I believe in your skills, however a lot can go wrong and Im not sure if you are ready to face that...and I am not ready to lose you in case anything does happen. You can try when you are 18 (or whatever)"

Clearly I am bored today.

Idunno.

Ivhon
06-11-2010, 12:42 PM
In a good news note, they found the girl. The mast of her yacht is broken, but she has food and now has radio.

Davian93
06-11-2010, 02:31 PM
In a good news note, they found the girl. The mast of her yacht is broken, but she has food and now has radio.

What a quitter! Blame it on bad parenting personally.

JSUCamel
06-11-2010, 02:46 PM
Dav's sig:

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Pittsburgh and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys who was resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

reminds me of this comic (well, the series in general):

http://axecop.com/images/uploads/ASK-AXE-COP-29.png

www.axecop.com