PDA

View Full Version : Why no World Cup discussion thread?

Pages : [1] 2

Ivhon
06-15-2010, 08:21 AM
Kiwis just bailed me out and got me 3 points in the pool :D

Davian93
06-15-2010, 08:48 AM
The World what?

Ivhon
06-15-2010, 08:50 AM
The World what?

Soccer. Funny sport...its like the Olympics, just no hands.

Everybody gets to wave flags, thump chests and then forget about it for the next 3.5 years. You should check it out.

Sarevok
06-15-2010, 08:52 AM
You could of course discuss the world cup in the pool's thread... :)

Ivhon
06-15-2010, 08:56 AM
You could of course discuss the world cup in the pool's thread... :)

Its almost buried. People would actually have to scroll (god forbid) to find it.

JSUCamel
06-15-2010, 09:00 AM
Kiwis just bailed me out and got me 3 points in the pool :D

Because sports are stupid and nobody cares? :P I mean, you're talking to a bunch of book nerds here...

Ivhon
06-15-2010, 09:02 AM
Because sports are stupid and nobody cares? :P I mean, you're talking to a bunch of book nerds here...

Meh. Spoil....sport.

yks 6nnetu hing
06-15-2010, 09:23 AM
must admit, even thougyh I didn't see Reid's goal, 45 seconds before the end of the extra time is VERY cool :D

what did he get a yellow card for though? running around shirtless? if so, worth it!

Isabel
06-15-2010, 09:24 AM
Some interesting fact about the afternoon game on monday of the netherlands.
-1.5 million dutch people took a day of, so they could see the match.
-Other people could see it at work :) (like me)

Sarevok
06-15-2010, 09:26 AM
Some interesting fact about the afternoon game on monday of the netherlands.
-1.5 million dutch people took a day of, so they could see the match.
-Other people could see it at work :) (like me)

Another, quite surprising fact:
Less people called in sick last monday than on regular mondays... :confused:

Mort
06-15-2010, 09:39 AM
I have no favorite team, since Sweden didn't make the cut (bizarre, I know). I would like to see England and/or Netherlands go far though :)

Glad Netherlands beat Denmark last game :D With a soundly 2-0 even. I was disapointed in England's performance though :( They were clearly the better team but at times it really didn't show.

It would be fun to see USA win a few though, would probably go a long way to market the sport in the states :)

I think I'm going to cheer for USA when I leave for the US tomorrow, hopefully I might have time and opportunity to catch a game somewhere. Guess I have to find a bar somewhere that shows a game or two (if there are any) :)

Oatman
06-15-2010, 09:43 AM
I choose not to discuss the world cup due to the result of my teams first game.

Mort
06-15-2010, 09:52 AM

Australia right?

*looks up score*

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Daekyras
06-15-2010, 09:56 AM
must admit, even thougyh I didn't see Reid's goal, 45 seconds before the end of the extra time is VERY cool :D

what did he get a yellow card for though? running around shirtless? if so, worth it!

Correct. since 2002 it's been an automatic yellow card if you take your shirt off to celebrate. Ha, it is always worth it though!

Ivhon
06-15-2010, 09:58 AM
I have no favorite team, since Sweden didn't make the cut (bizarre, I know). I would like to see England and/or Netherlands go far though :)

Glad Netherlands beat Denmark last game :D With a soundly 2-0 even. I was disapointed in England's performance though :( They were clearly the better team but at times it really didn't show.

It would be fun to see USA win a few though, would probably go a long way to market the sport in the states :)

I think I'm going to cheer for USA when I leave for the US tomorrow, hopefully I might have time and opportunity to catch a game somewhere. Guess I have to find a bar somewhere that shows a game or two (if there are any) :)

You can probably find a bar somewhere. Of course, the next US game is bright and early in the morning this side of the pond.

yks 6nnetu hing
06-15-2010, 09:59 AM

hehe, yes, that was funny. Then again, not really that unexpected, against Germany, I'm sure you'll have better luck... *looks at group*... scratch that. Miracles happen, may Lady Luck be with you and all available leprechauns too!

Mort
06-15-2010, 10:09 AM
hehe, yes, that was funny. Then again, not really that unexpected, against Germany, I'm sure you'll have better luck... *looks at group*... scratch that. Miracles happen, may Lady Luck be with you and all available leprechauns too!

Serbia aren't so bad, might win there, and I'm unsure of Ghana's skills.

But since only one can win the group, it's likely that will be Germany though.

Sarevok
06-15-2010, 10:16 AM
Serbia aren't so bad, might win there, and I'm unsure of Ghana's skills.

But since only one can win the group, it's likely that will be Germany though.

Doesn't really matter. The second also goes on to the 1/8th finals. If Australia goes on as second in their group, they'd then face the winner of group C, which is most likely England, but may turn out to be the USA.

Ivhon
06-15-2010, 10:38 AM
Doesn't really matter. The second also goes on to the 1/8th finals. If Australia goes on as second in their group, they'd then face the winner of group C, which is most likely England, but may turn out to be the USA.

I had forgotten how much Ronoldo annoys me (commentators are mocking him). Go Cote D'Ivoire!

Anaiya Sedai
06-15-2010, 10:40 AM
:D:DGermanyGermanyGermany:D:D

Mort
06-15-2010, 10:59 AM

I actually forgot that the second place also goes to the finals *facepalm*

Oatman
06-15-2010, 11:41 AM
Yeah, we were pretty outclassed. The coach is copping a lot of the blame for the size of the loss. I'm not the biggest soccer strategist but people who are seem to think he fucked up big. Also, that seemed like a ridiculously soft red card.

Mort
06-15-2010, 11:46 AM
A few questions about North Korea came up, since they are also playing the Cup. Do you think the people are allowed to see it? If not, will Kim Jong Il cover the whole thing up and announce that North Korea won the whole thing? :)

What's the condition on their players? Are they locked up while not playing or training? :)

What happens if North and South Korea meet in a game? :)

Weird Harold
06-15-2010, 12:37 PM
Guess I have to find a bar somewhere that shows a game or two (if there are any) :)

You should be able to watch the early game in your hotel room before checkout time. (0700 EDT) Most hotels' TV channel selection includes ESPN (And/or Univision for spanish commentary; the video is the same)

The games are on at 0700, 1000, and 1400 on the East coast.

Davian93
06-15-2010, 12:44 PM
You should be able to watch the early game in your hotel room before checkout time. (0700 EDT) Most hotels' TV channel selection includes ESPN (And/or Univision for spanish commentary; the video is the same)

The games are on at 0700, 1000, and 1400 on the East coast.

Is that 14 PM or AM?

Isabel
06-15-2010, 12:52 PM

ROFL ;) Brilliantly said :)

John Snow
06-15-2010, 01:03 PM
A few questions about North Korea came up, since they are also playing the Cup. Do you think the people are allowed to see it? If not, will Kim Jong Il cover the whole thing up and announce that North Korea won the whole thing? :)

What's the condition on their players? Are they locked up while not playing or training? :)

Yes, well - as the resident Korean, let me try. Way back, North Korea did very well in a world cup....but this was 1966. They still point with pride to that. Dunno about blackouts. TVs are very uncommon & there's only one radio station. South Koreans tend to enjoy communal game watching, often on huge screens outdoors. Maybe the Northerners do the same thing.

They do have this odd thing going with a striker who claims to be North Korean but was actually born & raised by North Korean parents in Japan. He's never lived in Korea, but considers himself North Korean. The team as a whole seems to be doing ok, though - they've got Brazil worried.

And if they meet the Southerners - well, they'll play football, and likely get the socks beaten off them. South Korea is one of the top teams this time around.

Anaiya Sedai
06-15-2010, 03:13 PM
The british commentator said a little while ago that there are no north korean fans watching the match in the stadium and that some chinese people were paid to play the part of the korean fans..... ?

Also, that seemed like a ridiculously soft red card.
Yes, I thought so, too, and I support the other side.. A yellow, yes, but jumping straight for the red was maybe uncalled for (imho).

Sarevok
06-15-2010, 03:17 PM
The british commentator said a little while ago that there are no north korean fans watching the match in the stadium and that some chinese people were paid to play the part of the korean fans..... ?

Dutch commentator mentioned that too, yeah.

Sei'taer
06-15-2010, 03:52 PM
I can't watch. The US pisses me (whatthe fvckfilthflarinhellareyoudoingplayingforthetieyous tupidfuckersgoforthewingoddammitdontjustbackoffand playsafeandletenglandstallthegameFUCK!) off everytime and they did it again this year. Ah well, if they make it to the next level then I'll most likely have to watch, but I seriously doubt they go any farther.

Also, my last soccer game was last night. I ended the season with 2 goals, 11 assists. Not bad for a 40 yr old man who smokes and drinks too much, has a bad back and bad knees and plays soccer with a bunch of 20 somethings. I'm starting to learn what sports wisdom means.

Ivhon
06-15-2010, 03:59 PM
I can't watch. The US pisses me (whatthe fvckfilthflarinhellareyoudoingplayingforthetieyous tupidfuckersgoforthewingoddammitdontjustbackoffand playsafeandletenglandstallthegameFUCK!) off everytime and they did it again this year. Ah well, if they make it to the next level then I'll most likely have to watch, but I seriously doubt they go any farther.

Also, my last soccer game was last night. I ended the season with 2 goals, 11 assists. Not bad for a 40 yr old man who smokes and drinks too much, has a bad back and bad knees and plays soccer with a bunch of 20 somethings. I'm starting to learn what sports wisdom means.

Isn't it great? When I was playing waterpolo in college, I could never figure out how the NYAC team of fat slow old men would manage to beat us every time.

Now I know.

Age and treachery will always defeat youth and vigor.

Weird Harold
06-15-2010, 04:14 PM
Is that 14 PM or AM?
Just 14:00 o'clock to europeans or 1400 hours to the military. I suppose youcould call it AM for "After Midnight" instead of "ante-meridian."

But you knew all of that, didn't you. :D

Sei'taer
06-15-2010, 04:18 PM
Age and treachery will always defeat youth and vigor.

Yup...that's why I got so many assists. 12 games, 11 assists and I missed 3 games. One goal was on a corner kick and the other was on a trash ball off the post. My head hurt for 2 days after the header off the corner kick.

I didn't count the two goals I scored on penalty kicks in the one tie game we had. Not sure if they count in other competitions or not...never really looked it up

I did get a yellow card for saying a dirty word...well, yelling it actually:D. Hard to imagine me saying a bad word...

Ivhon
06-15-2010, 04:24 PM
Yup...that's why I got so many assists. 12 games, 11 assists and I missed 3 games. One goal was on a corner kick and the other was on a trash ball off the post. My head hurt for 2 days after the header off the corner kick.

I didn't count the two goals I scored on penalty kicks in the one tie game we had. Not sure if they count in other competitions or not...never really looked it up

I did get a yellow card for saying a dirty word...well, yelling it actually:D. Hard to imagine me saying a bad word...

I find myself taking advantage of the fact that hack old-folks club players are reluctant to switch on defense for some reason. I mismatch myself on defense (where I have deceptive speed until my conditioning gives out) and exploit the resulting mismatch on offense...where I frequently have a young woman who weighs 130lbs less than me trying to guard me at 2m (for the uninitiated, that means I can sling her around like a rag-doll purely because of the weight differential which gives me easy shots....which I usually miss because I can't hit the broad side of a barn with a shotgun at 20 paces).

Terez
06-15-2010, 04:45 PM
My current roommate is Brazilian and she is trying to get me interested in it, and I keep trying to explain to her that I don't care about sports at all, and I especially don't care about sports at which my team sucks.

Ivhon
06-16-2010, 08:41 AM
Ivhon's on the MOVE! Spotted y'all the first 4 games to make it interesting...

Aside from their inability to actually put the ball in the goal, Chile was extremely impressive. Although, Honduras was really ugly (unlike N. Korea, yesterday).

Sinistrum
06-16-2010, 09:01 AM
Gotta say that Germany seems like the early favorite just based upon the way they played. But then again, Spain still has yet to play. Also, wtf were the Aussies doing playing Cahill that far up? He's a midfielder, and while he's got a talent for scoring, he's also the best midfield defender they have. His tackling skill might have been helpful against the absolute beat down the Germans put on the Aussie back third.

Ishy will love this, but I think I have a new favorite striker to root for in the WC. It used to be Miroslav Klose, but after watching Alexi Sanchez from Chile, I'm definitely going to root for him. The guy has some skills.

Anaiya Sedai
06-16-2010, 10:41 AM
...spain are currently losing to switzerland :D

Weird Harold
06-16-2010, 10:57 AM
Final Sui 1 Esp 0!

Major upset.

Ivhon
06-16-2010, 10:58 AM

Wow....that just made group H realllly interesting. Could easily end up with 3 teams at 3-1. The ability to beat up Honduras becomes very important now.

Sarevok
06-16-2010, 11:14 AM
oops, wrong thread.

Ivhon
06-17-2010, 03:03 PM
The flops and the dives and the whining and the crying continue to annoy me about futbol. Play the damn game.

Sei'taer
06-17-2010, 03:43 PM
The flops and the dives and the whining and the crying continue to annoy me about futbol. Play the damn game.

That's the way other countries do it. We, in the States, aren't raised to be pussified like that. If somebody knocks the hell out of you in real football you are supposed to act like it didn't hurt. In soccer, you are supposed to act like they almost ripped your leg off...at least, those in other countries seem to feel that way. It's one of the reasons I hate to watch the US in world cup, they fall into that same mindset and start acting like little kids with no tolerance for pain.

Ivhon
06-17-2010, 03:47 PM
That's the way other countries do it. We, in the States, aren't raised to be pussified like that. If somebody knocks the hell out of you in real football you are supposed to act like it didn't hurt. In soccer, you are supposed to act like they almost ripped your leg off...at least, those in other countries seem to feel that way. It's one of the reasons I hate to watch the US in world cup, they fall into that same mindset and start acting like little kids with no tolerance for pain.

Unfortunately - like any behavior - they do it because it gets rewarded.

Sei'taer
06-17-2010, 03:48 PM
Unfortunately - like any behavior - they do it because it gets rewarded.

Ta-da!

Zanguini
06-17-2010, 04:25 PM

And if they meet the Southerners - well, they'll play football, and likely get the socks beaten off them. South Korea is one of the top teams this time around.

The only way the koreas would play in the world cup is either in the finals or semifinals... if either happens the world of futbol will never be the same ... soccer hooligans will turn in thier body paint and everyone would go play cricket. It would be a sad sad day.

South and North Korea have played 5 times in the last 4 years the games that south korea were the home team were played in seoul the south koreans however would not play in north korea so the north korean home games were played in china. They have drawn all games except one which the South won.

One Armed Gimp
06-17-2010, 07:04 PM
...they fall into that same mindset and start acting like little kids with no tolerance for pain.

What, you mean like basketball?

Sinistrum
06-17-2010, 08:32 PM
I loved how the French "surrendered" that first goal today. Just stood around whining for an offsides flag while Javier Hernandez made a break for goal.

Weird Harold
06-17-2010, 09:45 PM
I loved how the French "surrendered" that first goal today. Just stood around whining for an offsides flag while Javier Hernandez made a break for goal.
It was about the only thing they did as a team all day. :D

yks 6nnetu hing
06-18-2010, 03:51 AM

um. neg rep, if I could. Yes, the dives are stupid, but this is what you get when the sport is meant to cause no intentional damage to the opposing team. But obviously you think that if the guy doesn't have a bone end protruding from the skin, he's not hurt. Me, I have an old soccer injury - I tore some ligaments in my knee and it hurt like HELL for weeks. Now it hurts whenever it's cold and damp... which over here is almost every day. A coworker of mine broke his toe in 3 places playing soccer. Both of those were just recreational injuries, not even caused by someone deliberately aiming for your shins with their nail-studded running shoes.

Here's a recent story for you: (http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/blogs/world-of-sport/article/1224/)

A Croatian footballer booked for diving had actually dropped dead of a heart attack.
Goran Tunjic, a 32-year-old defender playing for the Mladost FC, collapsed in the 35th minute of the County League match against Hrvatski Sokola, prompting the referee to approach the player with yellow card in his hand.

Tragically, however, the player had suffered a fatal heart attack.

The official quickly realised what had happened and called for medical aid, but Tunjic died despite being rushed to a nearby hospital.

"Doctors tried to help him but there was nothing they could do," a club spokesman said of the player, who had no previous medical problems.

"He just fell dead on the spot."

Sei'taer
06-18-2010, 06:31 AM
um. neg rep, if I could. Yes, the dives are stupid, but this is what you get when the sport is meant to cause no intentional damage to the opposing team. But obviously you think that if the guy doesn't have a bone end protruding from the skin, he's not hurt. Me, I have an old soccer injury - I tore some ligaments in my knee and it hurt like HELL for weeks. Now it hurts whenever it's cold and damp... which over here is almost every day. A coworker of mine broke his toe in 3 places playing soccer. Both of those were just recreational injuries, not even caused by someone deliberately aiming for your shins with their nail-studded running shoes.

Here's a recent story for you: (http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/blogs/world-of-sport/article/1224/)

Sitches, stitches, stiches, two broken arms, one broken foot, one broken ankle, multiple ligament pulls in my knees, ankles elbows and wrists, broken nose, broken fingers and many many broken toes...yeah, I started playing soccer when I was five. I actually took the cast off my foot when I was 16 and lied to Dad about it so I could practice and play.

Sarevok
06-18-2010, 06:40 AM
We've had this discussion before. Probably at the last European championships or something.
If you don't like the game; no one is forcing you to watch.

Sei'taer
06-18-2010, 07:51 AM
We've had this discussion before. Probably at the last European championships or something.
If you don't like the game; no one is forcing you to watch.

I love the game. I hate how it's played in some parts of the world. I don't understand celebrating a guy who purposely takes a dive, maybe someone could explain it to me?

My favorite call from the ref is still "play on!"

What, you mean like basketball?

I despise basketball. I haven't watched a basketball game in 15 years at least.

ETA: YKS,

My favorite story to tell people is is from my college playing days. I was trying to pick up a rcochet off the cross bar and put it back in for a goal. The defender was making a hard play for the ball and stepped on my left foot as I planted for the kick. This was at about the 35 or 40 minute mark. I felt my toes pop and when I ran I knew at least two were broke. At the half, I went to the trainer and asked her to look at them for me. I got my boot off and she looked at it and said, "yup, three of them are broke." I asked if she would tape them up so I could go back in and play the second half and she said "yeah, if you can take a little pain for a second, one of your toes is upside down and it's really grossing me out." I gritted my teeth, she fixed them up with tape and I went back to the game.

Davian93
06-18-2010, 07:54 AM
I love the game. I hate how it's played in some parts of the world. I don't understand celebrating a guy who purposely takes a dive, maybe someone could explain it to me?

My favorite call from the ref is still "play on!"

I despise basketball. I haven't watched a basketball game in 15 years at least.

NCAA Basketball and the Tourney: Probably one of the greatest sporting events on earth.

NBA Basketball: Brutally not interesting.

greatwolf
06-18-2010, 08:04 AM
Germany lose Klose, and then a pen?

Well. It could be the Refs world cup. :)

Ivhon
06-18-2010, 08:11 AM
Yeah, this is the worst officiating I've seen in any sport in quite a long time. Its not just the fast pen, its the horrific inconsistency.

yks 6nnetu hing
06-18-2010, 08:16 AM
ETA: YKS,

My favorite story to tell people is is from my college playing days. I was trying to pick up a rcochet off the cross bar and put it back in for a goal. The defender was making a hard play for the ball and stepped on my left foot as I planted for the kick. This was at about the 35 or 40 minute mark. I felt my toes pop and when I ran I knew at least two were broke. At the half, I went to the trainer and asked her to look at them for me. I got my boot off and she looked at it and said, "yup, three of them are broke." I asked if she would tape them up so I could go back in and play the second half and she said "yeah, if you can take a little pain for a second, one of your toes is upside down and it's really grossing me out." I gritted my teeth, she fixed them up with tape and I went back to the game.

not that impressed. I think "disturbed" is a better word. if you're broken, you shouldn't continue unless you're about to be devoured by a pride of lions or covered in lava. My own knee: I complained loudly and refused to participate in gym classes for as long as possible. In other words: I just don't get the Cave Man type chest-thumping or why it's necessary for some people that other people do the chest-thump thing. I do understand why you would insist for the no-wimp attitude but there's definitely a difference between the two. Not a wimp is not the same as Gurrh, the Thump-Bang. Pulled hamstrting = not a wimp. hit full strenghth in the chest = not a wimp.

Sei'taer
06-18-2010, 08:36 AM
not that impressed. I think "disturbed" is a better word. if you're broken, you shouldn't continue unless you're about to be devoured by a pride of lions or covered in lava. My own knee: I complained loudly and refused to participate in gym classes for as long as possible. In other words: I just don't get the Cave Man type chest-thumping or why it's necessary for some people that other people do the chest-thump thing. I do understand why you would insist for the no-wimp attitude but there's definitely a difference between the two. Not a wimp is not the same as Gurrh, the Thump-Bang. Pulled hamstrting = not a wimp. hit full strenghth in the chest = not a wimp.

That's my own personal standard. I don't expect others to do that, but I loved to play and refused to let something small keep me out.

This is the kind of crap I'm talking about. Sorry there's no sound. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iufnlu5842w) In my opinion, he should have been carded for this. It seems to happen a lot and they keep doing it because they don't get in trouble for it. The game has to be stopped and time added for nothing.

yks 6nnetu hing
06-18-2010, 08:46 AM
That's my own personal standard. I don't expect others to do that, but I loved to play and refused to let something small keep me out.

This is the kind of crap I'm talking about. Sorry there's no sound. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iufnlu5842w) In my opinion, he should have been carded for this. It seems to happen a lot and they keep doing it because they don't get in trouble for it. The game has to be stopped and time added for nothing.

lol, well that is a different topic. They don't all do it though, you implied they were all "pussified"

egads, that's a horrible word.

Sinistrum
06-18-2010, 08:51 AM
Yeah the refs have really been quick on the draw with both yellow and red cards this time around. The German team is going to be decimated at some point due to suspensions, assuming they make it out of the group stage. Group D is now offically a free for all, the Aussies excluded.

Ivhon
06-18-2010, 08:52 AM
Simple solution.

Have a replay booth - don't even have to stop the game - and let the booth issue yellow cards when players dive with no contact. You wouldn't need to reverse calls on the field or slow the game down...mainly because if you simply institute the rule, the flopping will stop 1 day later. Might take Ronoldo 2 days...cuz he's like, RONOLDO god dammit

Sarevok
06-18-2010, 08:56 AM
Simple solution.

Have a replay booth - don't even have to stop the game - and let the booth issue yellow cards when players dive with no contact. You wouldn't need to reverse calls on the field or slow the game down...mainly because if you simply institute the rule, the flopping will stop 1 day later. Might take Ronoldo 2 days...cuz he's like, RONOLDO god dammit

You mean (Christiano) Ronaldo? :p

Ivhon
06-18-2010, 09:15 AM
You mean (Christiano) Ronaldo? :p

I don't dignify him by spelling his name right...

Ivhon
06-18-2010, 10:53 AM
AAAaaaand even worse officiating.

Sinistrum
06-18-2010, 10:55 AM
Seriously. That should have been a 3-2 U.S. come from behind win.

Ivhon
06-18-2010, 11:06 AM
So, US needs England to win v. Slovenia and then needs +2 differential v. Algeria? Or for England to completely collapse....

Hmm...nm. England win next week leaves Slovenia with 4pts and US win nets them 5

Tamyrlin
06-18-2010, 12:39 PM
The guy didn't even explain the foul. How can you take away a goal with a non-call. Ridiculous. I'm pissed. It's one thing for a player to make a mistake. It's another for the ref to literally take the game away. Imagine if Bradley or Donovan hadn't scored...the ref would have given the US a loss on the most amazing second half of play this entire tournament.

yks 6nnetu hing
06-18-2010, 02:52 PM
AAAaaaand even worse officiating.

he was making it even for not giving US a red card 2 seconds into the game.:rolleyes:

The guy didn't even explain the foul. How can you take away a goal with a non-call. Ridiculous. I'm pissed. It's one thing for a player to make a mistake. It's another for the ref to literally take the game away. Imagine if Bradley or Donovan hadn't scored...the ref would have given the US a loss on the most amazing second half of play this entire tournament. Yes, awesome 2nd half :) I've seen the bit in repeat so much now and it's obvious the whistle is blown before Edu was even close to the ball, much less ready to shoot. Which is why most commentators seem to think it was because of all the people fighting in front of the goal :p

but then, I'm biased, Serbia beat Russia in the play-offs.

Sarevok
06-18-2010, 04:05 PM
So, US needs England to win v. Slovenia and then needs +2 differential v. Algeria? Or for England to completely collapse....

Hmm...nm. England win next week leaves Slovenia with 4pts and US win nets them 5

England tied against Algeria this evening.

To continue the USA has 2 options:
1. They beat Algeria and continue as either 2nd or 1st in the group.
2. The tiey against Algeria and then depend on the result of England - Slovenia:
If England wins, England wins the group and Slovenia is second and the USA is out.
If Slovenia wins, Slovenia wins the group and USA is second.
If they tie, Slovenia wins the group and USA comes in second, provided England and Slovenia tie by less than 2 goals more than the tie of USA-Algeria (for instance 1-1 and 0-0). If they tie by more than 2 goals more than the USA-Algeria game (for instance 3-3 and 0-0), England wil continue and USA is out. If they time by 2 goals more than the USA-Algeria result (2-2 and 0-0) the USA and England are completely tied and will have to come back together again for a round of penalties.

(3. If USA loses agains Algeria, the USA is out)

reTaardad
06-18-2010, 11:00 PM
Not sure if anyone watched the USA vs. Slovenia game today, I'd like to hear from some actual soccer/football experts on this. I was confused at first and assumed that the referee knew something we didn't, but it made me angry when both commentators disagreed and the referee refused to give a reason. I wasn't a fan of soccer until the World Cup, but I'd really like to see the USA do well even if they can't win.

If you didn't see it, here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfTyxeuvQ8k) is a video of said "non-goal".

So was it a goal or not?

Sarevok
06-19-2010, 03:08 AM
Not sure if anyone watched the USA vs. Slovenia game today, I'd like to hear from some actual soccer/football experts on this. I was confused at first and assumed that the referee knew something we didn't, but it made me angry when both commentators disagreed and the referee refused to give a reason. I wasn't a fan of soccer until the World Cup, but I'd really like to see the USA do well even if they can't win.
The Dutch TV-commentators were just as confused. The commentator during the game presumed the referee thought it was off-side, but when they reviewed it later, they were just confused...

Sinistrum
06-19-2010, 10:47 AM
It was absolutely a goal. And apparently even FIFA knows it even though they won't admit it publicly.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/world-cup/story/_/id/5304289/ce/us/fifa-ax-us-slovenia-ref-wc?cc=5901&ver=us

Sarevok
06-19-2010, 10:51 AM
It was absolutely a goal. And apparently even FIFA knows it even though they won't admit it publicly.

Fifa won't say so in public untill they're 100% certain. Even then, it won't matter. They can't retroactively change a game's outcome.

In unrelated news: The Netherlands beat Japan 1-0 :)

Sinistrum
06-19-2010, 11:30 AM
I'm just glad that the result of their last mistake is self-destructing before the entire world's eyes. Teehee @ Anelka getting sent home. Here's hoping this lastest one will still end in the U.S. advancing the knock out rounds.

Ivhon
06-19-2010, 01:08 PM
Slightly off-topic, but am I the only one that thinks Bob Bradley needs to be cast in movies and modeled in video games?

Zanguini
06-19-2010, 01:26 PM
Slightly off-topic, but am I the only one that thinks Bob Bradley needs to be cast in movies and modeled in video games?

here briefly (http://footballfashion.wordpress.com/2010/03/15/video-ea-sports-2010-fifa-world-cup-south-africa-trailer/)

Ive played the game and it is way too easy

yks 6nnetu hing
06-19-2010, 03:29 PM
more unrelated news: Denmark beat Cameroon so the Dutch are now through to the 8-finals for sure, even if they lose against Cameroon in the next game. Because inthe Japan-Denmark game, they both have 3 points and they can't both win and get 6 points. Also, MAN, what a good game, that Denmark against Cameroon, both teams were excellent:D

ok, so after the group stage the next against the Dutch are either 1st or 2nd of group F, which is standing at 1 points to everyone right now, so no idea who it'll be...

reTaardad
06-19-2010, 05:16 PM
Fifa won't say so in public untill they're 100% certain. Even then, it won't matter. They can't retroactively change a game's outcome.

One of my favorite things about American football (which I only bring up because it's unique in this respect) is that the referee's calls can be overturned after official review. It makes the game virtually 99% accurate since high definition cameras can see from across the stadium when a thread from the player's shoe crosses the plane of the end zone.

Also, congrats to the Netherlands, perhaps our nations shall meet in a later round.

Sarevok
06-19-2010, 06:18 PM
One of my favorite things about American football (which I only bring up because it's unique in this respect) is that the referee's calls can be overturned after official review. It makes the game virtually 99% accurate since high definition cameras can see from across the stadium when a thread from the player's shoe crosses the plane of the end zone.

Can American Football games' results be changed after the game has ended, though? It would be very much unfair to put the game score at 2-3 for the USA, because who's to say Slovenia wouldn't have stepped up to the challenge and scored 3-3?
Instant replay in the sport would be a totally different discussion.

Weird Harold
06-19-2010, 06:54 PM
Can American Football games' results be changed after the game has ended, though?

In theory, yes. The NFL never has, and I don't recall any NCAA games overturned for officiating mistakes. The NCAA has vacated wins for other problems, both on and off the field of play.

It would be very much unfair to put the game score at 2-3 for the USA, because who's to say Slovenia wouldn't have stepped up to the challenge and scored 3-3?

It wouldn't have been unfair to them if the call was overturned before the game ended. However, they weren't able to "step up" and score a winning goal, so I don't see that they can be assumed to be capable of forcing a tie in the short time left in that game if the goal had been allowed.

Instant replay in the sport would be a totally different discussion.

reTaardad was talking about calls being overturned by a video review before play resumes after the disputed call.

During the course of a game, each coach can challenge two official's decisions and ask for a video review -- certain things can't be reviewed. In the last two minutes of the game, every play is cursorily reviewed by a "replay official" and play is stopped for a more detailed review if the call is suspect.

Under that kind of system, the disallowed goal would have been immediately challenged by the US coach and the decision overturned and rescoring a game after completion would never come into consideration.

One thing about US Football video replay rules is that if the next play has begun, the chance for a challenge or booth review is forever lost.

Obviously for Soccer, that would have to be modified somewhat since the clock doesn't stop for a foul.

Sinistrum
06-19-2010, 07:07 PM
A buddy of mine and I were talking about this and we came up with the idea that you could easily tie the ability to challenge a call via replay to the ability to substitute. That's pretty much the only time play stops for any extended period in soccer that doesn't involve an injury and you get a limited amount of them, just like time outs in the NFL. So lets say you're a soccer coach and want to challenge a call, you put one of your substitutions on the line. If you win the challenge you keep it, if not, you lose the ability to sub for one player.

Oatman
06-19-2010, 10:19 PM
And Australia is fucked over by the refs again. We actually would have won that game.

Weird Harold
06-19-2010, 10:49 PM
A buddy of mine and I were talking about this and we came up with the idea that you could easily tie the ability to challenge a call via replay to the ability to substitute. That's pretty much the only time play stops for any extended period in soccer that doesn't involve an injury and you get a limited amount of them, just like time outs in the NFL. So lets say you're a soccer coach and want to challenge a call, you put one of your substitutions on the line. If you win the challenge you keep it, if not, you lose the ability to sub for one player.
That might work for limiting challenges, buit it wouldn't solve the problem of getting the challenge in before play "continued." The referee decides when play stops for a substitution -- usually, but not always the next time the ball goes out-of-bounds.

A challenge would have to stop play immediately just as soon as it was presented to the "fourth official" (the guy who holds up the substitutions sign) and not wait on the referee's convenience. It would also have to be presented within a reasonable time limit.

Ivhon
06-20-2010, 11:03 AM
So. Is what's happening that the major european teams are stuck in the past? Assuming that they are entitled to group play wins and not recognizing that the rest of the world is catching up (or in the case of S. America, well past)?

I rather like that the most notorious flop teams (France, Italy, Portugal) are among the teams getting shocked here. Speaking of France....wtf?

Incidentally, the harsh critique of the N.Z. team by the Italian press is pretty funny considering they just drew.

Sinistrum
06-20-2010, 11:20 AM
Yeah I'm loving the trouble France and Italy are in. Aside from Brazil, those are my least favorite teams in the tourney.

Kurtz
06-20-2010, 04:19 PM
And Australia is fucked over by the refs again. We actually would have won that game.

That was probably the most deserving red card i've seen in a while tbf.

Brazil look fairly decent I see :rolleyes:

England/France :numerouslaughingsmilies:

Sarevok
06-20-2010, 04:30 PM
LOL @ Italy (1-1 against New-Zealand)

Last 15 min of Brazil - Cote d'Ivore was a mes... :eek:

Kurtz
06-20-2010, 04:39 PM
http://i46.tinypic.com/28h1lhj.jpg

dominominic
06-20-2010, 06:10 PM
Ah, RTE Two!

You can't go wrong with Bill, Dunphy and the lads on Irish TV. The other day Johnny Giles just admitted he'd never seen Japan play and didn't know anything about them!

Isn't that what he's being paid for? I mean, get on YouTube or something and check them out for half an hour the night before you're on TV to talk about them.

I mean, c'mon, a bit of effort!

Ivhon
06-20-2010, 07:17 PM
Ah, RTE Two!

You can't go wrong with Bill, Dunphy and the lads on Irish TV. The other day Johnny Giles just admitted he'd never seen Japan play and didn't know anything about them!

Isn't that what he's being paid for? I mean, get on YouTube or something and check them out for half an hour the night before you're on TV to talk about them.

I mean, c'mon, a bit of effort!

Takes time away from the Jameson...

Weird Harold
06-20-2010, 11:34 PM
LOL @ Italy (1-1 against New-Zealand)

Last 15 min of Brazil - Cote d'Ivore was a mes... :eek:
The second Yellow/Red for Kaka was a joke -- not that Kaka hadn't been running his mouth most of thelast 20 minutes or so.

The ref and everyone except the slo-mo cameras missed the double hand ball on the one Brazilian Goal.

Other than those two flaws, I think that French referee is the best I've seen so far -- although I haven't seen every game so there may have been another quality Ref out there.

Oatman
06-21-2010, 01:41 AM
That was probably the most deserving red card i've seen in a while tbf.

An accidental hand ball deserves a red card? But the challenge from behind on our player a short time later (which was much worse than the one Cahill got sent off for) did not? Yeah...

Ivhon
06-21-2010, 08:24 AM
wow. So...odds on the DRK goalkeeper and coach disappearing in the next couple of weeks?

Sei'taer
06-21-2010, 08:30 AM
wow. So...odds on the DRK goalkeeper and coach disappearing in the next couple of weeks?

About the same as the US winning the Cup.

Ivhon
06-21-2010, 08:39 AM
About the same as the US winning the Cup.

You think our odds are that good?

Ishara
06-21-2010, 08:58 AM
Ha ha. That one was painful for the last 20 minutes. Rinaldo didn't even look surprised or too happy about his goal, LOL. Poor DRK, poor Ivory Coast.

It was an exciting match, and I am PUMPED for Chile in 20 minutes.

Forza!!

Ivhon
06-21-2010, 09:35 AM
Ha ha. That one was painful for the last 20 minutes. Rinaldo didn't even look surprised or too happy about his goal, LOL. Poor DRK, poor Ivory Coast.

It was an exciting match, and I am PUMPED for Chile in 20 minutes.

Forza!!

brilliant flop by the chilean player to draw the red card.

Ivhon
06-21-2010, 10:18 AM
http://i46.tinypic.com/28h1lhj.jpg

Wait...Jamie Foxx plays for Brazil? Man...that guy does EVERYthing...

Sinistrum
06-21-2010, 10:45 AM
The ref for Chile/Switzerland has been the worst one yet. 8 yellow cards and 1 red and most of them undeserved.

Ishara
06-21-2010, 12:52 PM
brilliant flop by the chilean player to draw the red card.

I didn't mind the hard-line reffing, and not just for that red card. He smacked two players in the face with his hands, flailing arms and elbows. Get the hell out of the game, you ass.

Besides, when you give a player a yellow for taking a dive, I'm on-side, regardless of who the player plays for.

All in all, I'd say it was a fair match, but I'm disappointed in Chile's inability to up the score, given their aggressive offense and being one man up. I guess Switzerland's defense is just *that* good.

Isabel
06-21-2010, 12:58 PM
So what does everyone think of the soap called France? :)

Ivhon
06-21-2010, 01:07 PM
I didn't mind the hard-line reffing, and not just for that red card. He smacked two players in the face with his hands, flailing arms and elbows. Get the hell out of the game, you ass.

Besides, when you give a player a yellow for taking a dive, I'm on-side, regardless of who the player plays for.

All in all, I'd say it was a fair match, but I'm disappointed in Chile's inability to up the score, given their aggressive offense and being one man up. I guess Switzerland's defense is just *that* good.

I think Switzerland's defense is *that* good. Holding Spain and Chile (I think they are under-rated and they are playing really well) to 1 goal combined (and that man-down) while maintaining the second-longest no-goals-allowed streak in World Cup history is pretty impressive.

EDIT: Just looked at the knockout round brackets for the first time. Seems to me that if the US can manage to win the group, they would have a very doable road to the semi-finals. Where they would get trounced. Would be muuuuch more difficult on the other side.

Im glad we are not in Group H - where it looks like you get either Brazil or Portugal in the round of 16

Kurtz
06-21-2010, 03:12 PM
An accidental hand ball deserves a red card? But the challenge from behind on our player a short time later (which was much worse than the one Cahill got sent off for) did not? Yeah...

Accidental my hole. He prevented a clear goal with his arm. That is, has, and ever shall be a red card offense. A yellow card and a penalty in exchange for a certain goal is not a fair reward.

England are nearly as bad as France now. John Terry was giving it the big one in an interview saying how he was going to bring up all the issues in some clear the air talks with Capello. Capello told them to get fucked and that this wasn't a democracy, haha.

Kurtz
06-21-2010, 03:17 PM
I think Switzerland's defense is *that* good. Holding Spain and Chile (I think they are under-rated and they are playing really well) to 1 goal combined (and that man-down) while maintaining the second-longest no-goals-allowed streak in World Cup history is pretty impressive.

EDIT: Just looked at the knockout round brackets for the first time. Seems to me that if the US can manage to win the group, they would have a very doable road to the semi-finals. Where they would get trounced. Would be muuuuch more difficult on the other side.

Im glad we are not in Group H - where it looks like you get either Brazil or Portugal in the round of 16

There's a big likelihood the likes of Germany, England, Spain, Portugal and Italy could finish second in their group. Finishing first could be a dangerous thing!

The Uruguay-Mexico game has a draw written all over it for obvious reasons but the team in second (Mexico in this instance I think) would then play Argentina. It will be interesting to see how competitive that game turns out.

Sinistrum
06-21-2010, 03:22 PM
I love watching the French implode. Karma for Henry's screw job hand ball against the Irish.

Ivhon
06-21-2010, 03:31 PM
There's a big likelihood the likes of Germany, England, Spain, Portugal and Italy could finish second in their group. Finishing first could be a dangerous thing!

The Uruguay-Mexico game has a draw written all over it for obvious reasons but the team in second (Mexico in this instance I think) would then play Argentina. It will be interesting to see how competitive that game turns out.

Speaking from the US point of view: if they win the group, they could face Germany in the first round. However, if Germany cannot win their group, I would rate them as beatable by the U.S. After that it would be a team from either group A or B in the quarterfinals - all of whom the US can play with (save Argentina, perhaps, which will almost certainly be on the other side and therefore not an issue). After that it would take a miracle against Brazil (unless someone else gets a miracle and beats Brazil) or the Dutch. If the US ends up 2nd, it would look like the road to the semis would go through Germany (most likely)and Argentina.

Kurtz
06-21-2010, 03:37 PM
Speaking from the US point of view: if they win the group, they could face Germany in the first round. However, if Germany cannot win their group, I would rate them as beatable by the U.S. After that it would be a team from either group A or B in the quarterfinals - all of whom the US can play with (save Argentina, perhaps, which will almost certainly be on the other side and therefore not an issue). After that it would take a miracle against Brazil (unless someone else gets a miracle and beats Brazil) or the Dutch. If the US ends up 2nd, it would look like the road to the semis would go through Germany (most likely)and Argentina.

Yikes, Germany have been arguably the most impressive side in the world cup thus far. They destroyed the Aussies and thumped Serbia with ten men and were thoroughly unfortunate to lose. They could beat Ghana 8-0 and still come second in the group if Serbia shuffle past Australia with a goal off Vida's arse.

I'm rooting for the US but Germany would hose you in all likelihood.

Sei'taer
06-21-2010, 04:13 PM
Yikes, Germany have been arguably the most impressive side in the world cup thus far. They destroyed the Aussies and thumped Serbia with ten men and were thoroughly unfortunate to lose. They could beat Ghana 8-0 and still come second in the group if Serbia shuffle past Australia with a goal off Vida's arse.

I have to agree.

Ivhon
06-21-2010, 04:15 PM

Serbia is 3 back of Germany in goal differential. To be 2nd in group, Germany would need to draw Ghana while Serbia wins. A Germany that loses to Serbia (however) and draws to Ghana is not as good as the 4-0 win against Australia made them look. Of course, if Germany loses and Australia wins...

EDIT: Im not saying Germany would be a cakewalk for the US under those circumstances, Im just saying that it would indicate that they are not a top-tier team and therefore that the US would have a decent chance against them.

EDIT AGAIN: If Germany goes out and thumps Ghana, then they would clearly be a favorite team...but then they would be on the other side of the draw from the US if they win Group C. Germany effectively wins Group D with a win over Ghana (not likely that Serbia would beat Australia by 4 more than Germany beats Ghana).

Kurtz
06-21-2010, 04:27 PM
Serbia is 3 back of Germany in goal differential. To be 2nd in group, Germany would need to draw Ghana while Serbia wins. A Germany that loses to Serbia (however) and draws to Ghana is not as good as the 4-0 win against Australia made them look. Of course, if Germany loses and Australia wins...

EDIT: Im not saying Germany would be a cakewalk for the US under those circumstances, Im just saying that it would indicate that they are not a top-tier team and therefore that the US would have a decent chance against them.

EDIT AGAIN: If Germany goes out and thumps Ghana, then they would clearly be a favorite team...but then they would be on the other side of the draw from the US if they win Group C. Germany effectively wins Group D with a win over Ghana (not likely that Serbia would beat Australia by 4 more than Germany beats Ghana).

My apologies, i've been working off the notion that head to head results were going to be the deciding factor :o

Ivhon
06-21-2010, 04:29 PM
My apologies, i've been working off the notion that head to head results were going to be the deciding factor :o

points, differential, goals scored, head-to-head, kicks, I believe (not 100% sure of h2h and kicks).

Kurtz
06-21-2010, 04:38 PM
points, differential, goals scored, head-to-head, kicks, I believe (not 100% sure of h2h and kicks).

Yep, you're right! I had been thinking of all sorts of scenarios if Spain beat Chile 1-0. Doesn't matter now!

Ivhon
06-21-2010, 04:46 PM
Yep, you're right! I had been thinking of all sorts of scenarios if Spain beat Chile 1-0. Doesn't matter now!

For Switzerland? Spain 1: Chile 0; Switzerland 2: Honduras 0. More likely Spain 2: Chile 0; Switzerland 1: Honduras 0.

Kurtz
06-21-2010, 04:53 PM
For Switzerland? Spain 1: Chile 0; Switzerland 2: Honduras 0. More likely Spain 2: Chile 0; Switzerland 1: Honduras 0.

Going by my original thinking Spain, Chile and Switzerland would have been on level points, each having have beaten the other by a goal! Switzerland are in the driving seat now in some ways as Honduras could be running out of steam. I don't fancy the Swiss to be able to run up a score though.

It's a pity, I really want Chile to go through, they're a pretty exciting side. Alexi Sanchez http://i8.tinypic.com/4pf3t4w.jpg

Ivhon
06-21-2010, 05:08 PM
Going by my original thinking Spain, Chile and Switzerland would have been on level points, each having have beaten the other by a goal! Switzerland are in the driving seat now in some ways as Honduras could be running out of steam. I don't fancy the Swiss to be able to run up a score though.

It's a pity, I really want Chile to go through, they're a pretty exciting side. Alexi Sanchez http://i8.tinypic.com/4pf3t4w.jpg

If Spain and Switzerland both win 1-0 then Chile gets in on goals scored.

That group is WIDE open. I can see Chile winning - outside shot. Chile and Spain playing tight (likely). Spain blowing Chile out. Switzerland is not gonna give a goal to Honduras, Im pretty sure...but whether they score 0, 1 or 2 is anyone's guess. Really that Spain/Chile game could have any score in the world depending on who shows up to play.

Kurtz
06-21-2010, 05:24 PM
If Spain and Switzerland both win 1-0 then Chile gets in on goals scored.

That group is WIDE open. I can see Chile winning - outside shot. Chile and Spain playing tight (likely). Spain blowing Chile out. Switzerland is not gonna give a goal to Honduras, Im pretty sure...but whether they score 0, 1 or 2 is anyone's guess. Really that Spain/Chile game could have any score in the world depending on who shows up to play.

Chile and the Swiss would both have scored 2 and conceded 1.

Unfortunately for Chile they're too talented to go out and try and defend against Spain, which plays into Spain's hands as the exploit space and looseness pretty efficiently. I think Chile are fantastic and would love to see them get through at the expense of the Swiss, who are a bit grim.

If the US beat Algeria 1-0 and England and Slovenia draw 1-1 will lots have to be drawn to decide the group winners? :eek:

Ivhon
06-21-2010, 05:34 PM
Chile and the Swiss would both have scored 2 and conceded 1.

They would be the same on goal differential (+1), however Chile would have 3 total goals to Switzerland's 2

Unfortunately for Chile they're too talented to go out and try and defend against Spain, which plays into Spain's hands as the exploit space and looseness pretty efficiently. I think Chile are fantastic and would love to see them get through at the expense of the Swiss, who are a bit grim.

Im looking forward to that game because they seem to play very similar games. I give Spain the edge because they seem tighter on defense.

If the US beat Algeria 1-0 and England and Slovenia draw 1-1 will lots have to be drawn to decide the group winners? :eek:

If US beats Algeria 1-0 they will have 5 points, a +1 differential and 4 goals. Slovenia drawing with England 1-1 will have 5 points, a +1 goal differential and 4 goals. I believe they would call both teams on the field for penalty kicks at that point...but I could be wrong.

Kurtz
06-21-2010, 06:08 PM
I think they might draw lots in that scenario http://i35.tinypic.com/dwtok7.png

Chile have only scored two goals thus far.

Ivhon
06-21-2010, 06:43 PM
I think they might draw lots in that scenario http://i35.tinypic.com/dwtok7.png

Chile have only scored two goals thus far.

Ahh. So they have. I had it in my head that they beat Honduras 2-0.

On a completely different note, I was listening to a sports talking head go on about the rescinded goal thing and he brought up what I thought was a very good point.

Clearly, the rest of the world - while they love to bitch and complain about unfairness as much as we do - does not care to implement rules to place accountability on the officials. I think there are reasons (more on that later). Yet WE - in typical American fashion - are all up in arms and screaming for rule changes because we think the rest of the world should do it our way. This in a game that we did not invent, are not and never have been good at, and about which we give half a shit every 4 years (soccer MAY reach the level of appreciation here as it does everywhere else - but we will likely all be dead of old age when it does).

Now, personally, I think like most Americans. There should be accountability. Things like the pulled back goal and some of the ridiculous cards should be reviewable and whatnot. HOWEVER - and I absolutely would love non-US perspective here - I think that the rest of the world may accept it because it is good for the entertainment factor of the game. Lemme 'splain. I think Americans place a higher premium on victory and a lower premium on style than the rest of the world. Why does style count so much? It's more entertaining. So yes, the blown calls are infuriating...BUT..that's how you build rivalries, hatreds and love affairs with players, club teams and particularly national teams. When a clear bad call goes against you, you never forget it and you hate that team forever. Good for rivalries. Keeps fans involved. When a clear bad call goes against you and it gets overturned? Ok. No real emotional involvement.

It's all business and no passion in American sports anymore. There are no rivalries in our pro sports like there used to be. And the rivalries in college sports are getting shredded too, with all the reorganization.

Now, assuming what I just said hits close to the mark, I'm not saying that our way is wrong - there is something to be said for fairness and pure competition. I AM saying who the hell are we to bitch? Culturally, we don't care about this game. We have no stake. Why should we even try to influence how it is played?

Clearly I am procrastinating several hours of transcription....

Kurtz
06-21-2010, 06:56 PM
You say lots of things I don't understand!

The support for goal-line technolgy is huge (did the ball cross the line or not etc). Beyond that no one really wants anything else. The beauty of football is in it's continuity and it's ebb and flow, and importantly the crowd interraction therein. Frequent stoppages would kill the game and I think it's best left be.

edit to say: You (US federation or whatever) have as much a right to vent there views as anywhere. Football is owned by nobody :nod:

Ivhon
06-21-2010, 07:00 PM
You say lots of things I don't understand!

The support for goal-line technolgy is huge (did the ball cross the line or not etc). Beyond that no one really wants anything else. The beauty of football is in it's continuity and it's ebb and flow, and importantly the crowd interraction therein. Frequent stoppages would kill the game and I think it's best left be.

That's kinda what Im getting at. Americans care quite a bit less about crowd interaction, beauty or ebb and flow. Those are all far secondary to a) winning and b)getting it right.

Sinistrum
06-21-2010, 07:47 PM
Ivhon, I think you're dead on. The Brazillian squad this year is pretty much a marvel of technical perfection in all aspects of the game. They are efficient, deadly, and precise and in all likelihood will win a sixth cup. However they, and Dunga, their coach of which the team is a reflection of, are getting killed in the Brazillian media for "killing the beautiful game." That says to me that style is important to a lot of the soccer powerhouse countries as compared to the U.S. media coverage, where us Yanks can really only talk about the end result to the matches and how far we think the U.S. will go.

Kurtz
06-21-2010, 07:56 PM
Brazil meeting Argetina would be a thing of beauty. Dunga's machine like Brazil versus Maradona's fecklessness.

You'd fancy Brazil though. It's my earnest desire that they'll be shown up and Dunga's method's will be a complete failure but I don't think it's going to happen.

They're favourites but potentially meeting Spain next round wouldn't have been in the script.

Sei'taer
06-21-2010, 09:09 PM
That's kinda what Im getting at. Americans care quite a bit less about crowd interaction, beauty or ebb and flow. Those are all far secondary to a) winning and b)getting it right.

Ahem, Baseball. This is why I didn't want the perfect game changed. It's a part of the game and it's a part of what makes it great. You can bitch and moan about the shitty calls and how so and so got screwed, but in your heart you know that it's all about the game.

I'd be really and truly disappointed with baseball (and soccer) if they went to any kind of instant replay system. I think it's totally ruined Am. football. Baseball already has pushed the instant replay deal to the limit (very minor usage), and I think it should be done away with also.

Sinistrum
06-21-2010, 09:47 PM
Two words to counter that Sei. Armando Galarraga.

Weird Harold
06-22-2010, 01:55 AM
I believe they would call both teams on the field for penalty kicks at that point...but I could be wrong.

Nope.

In the prliminary (qualifying) rounds, the final tie breaker would have been a playoff game at a neutral site -- with overtime and penalty kicks as required to get a result; If there was no time or no suitable site, then lots would be drawn.

For this Group Stage, there is no time in the schedule for a playoff, so the last tiebreaker is "drawing lots" with no on-field resolution beyond the three games of the groups stage.

Official rules for WC 2010(PDF file) (http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/tournament/competition/fifa%5fwc%5fsouth%5fafrica%5f2010%5fregulations%5f en%5f14123.pdf)

Sei'taer
06-22-2010, 07:54 AM
Two words to counter that Sei. Armando Galarraga.

I think the commish made the right call. I think that the judgement call is part of what makes baseball and soccer great. It pisses me off sometimes, but I love it.

Ivhon
06-22-2010, 09:42 AM
Here's a hypothetical for ya:

S. Africa need to overcome a 3 goal differential to get in. Currently they are up 2-0.

What happens if the French pull the ultimate dick move and forfeit at halftime?

Sarevok
06-22-2010, 09:55 AM

S. Africa need to overcome a 3 goal differential to get in. Currently they are up 2-0.

Forfeit a soccer game? Never heard of it...

*looks up the rules*

If a team does not report for a match – except in cases of force majeure
recognised by the FIFA Organising Committee – or if it refuses to
continue to play or leaves the stadium before the end of a match, the
team will be considered as having lost. The match and three points
will be awarded to its opponents with a score of 3-0 or more if, in the
case of an abandoned match, the winning team has already reached
a higher score at the time the guilty team leaves the fi eld or refuses to
continue to play.

The guilty team will, as a general rule, be excluded from further
participation in the competition so that none of its matches will be
deemed valid, unless the incidents mentioned in par. 7 occurred in its
last match. In addition, the guilty association shall pay compensation
for any damages or losses suffered by the other association(s) and
by FIFA. Furthermore, the guilty association will forfeit any claim to
fi nancial remuneration from FIFA. Further measures may be taken by
the FIFA Organising Committee.

On top of that, I see no reason why France would withdraw from a game...

Ivhon
06-22-2010, 09:59 AM
Forfeit a soccer game? Never heard of it...

*looks up the rules*

It goes on to say that the responsible football assocition will be fined if the team doesn't play all of the required games and FIFA may decide to suspend the offending country.

Ok, that's good then. France can't screw S. Africa by quitting.

Weird Harold
06-22-2010, 10:00 AM

Depends on how badly Urugay(sp) kicks Mexican butt.

Although, with FIFA's sometimes weird rules, perhaps if France stays in the locker room, the ref will just signal "play on" and SA will be able to make up as much gaol diferential as they need. :D

Kurtz
06-22-2010, 10:00 AM
If South Africa get another couple and Mexico go out i'd be very annoyed.

Ivhon
06-22-2010, 10:10 AM
Hehe... French were just described on TV as "characters looking for a plot." Quite poetic.

Weird Harold
06-22-2010, 10:14 AM
Ok, that's good then. France can't screw S. Africa by quitting.
Actually, they'd help SA by quitting:

"The match and three points will be awarded to its opponents with a score of 3-0 or more ..."

France abandoning would give SA the #2 slot in the group if Mexico stays one down.

Moot point, though, since France did send some warm bodies out for the second half and they're at least kicking the ball in the right direction -- occasionally. :D

dominominic
06-22-2010, 12:29 PM
Accidental my hole.

You've got to be Irish.

Sarevok
06-23-2010, 11:16 AM
USA made it!

Congrats, guys. :D

See you july 6th? ;)

Davian93
06-23-2010, 11:31 AM
Good thing FIFA (and its refs) hasn't tried to screw us so far.

Yet another pure BS disallowed goal by the refs...nice try world!

Sinistrum
06-23-2010, 12:56 PM
I guess every time the U.S. attempts to score a goal its going to be offsides from now on. That game really should have been 4-0 instead of 1-0 on a last second shot.

Ivhon
06-23-2010, 01:05 PM
I guess every time the U.S. attempts to score a goal its going to be offsides from now on. That game really should have been 4-0 instead of 1-0 on a last second shot.

Shoulda been 2-0. All the other shots were legitimately blown.

Anaiya Sedai
06-23-2010, 04:17 PM
I'm a little sad that the US didn't come 2nd in the group - not because I don't like you guys, but because now England are going to be playing Germany on sunday. I already know I can't possibly watch the game with a straight face, whether germany or england win. I'm going to have to find a place to hide somewhere....

Sarevok
06-23-2010, 04:24 PM
I'm a little sad that the US didn't come 2nd in the group - not because I don't like you guys, but because now England are going to be playing Germany on sunday. I already know I can't possibly watch the game with a straight face, whether germany or england win. I'm going to have to find a place to hide somewhere....

*hugs*

Sinistrum
06-23-2010, 05:27 PM
Ivhon, don't underestimate the momentum affect that goal would have had if it had counted. Just look at what happened with Portugal with North Korea.

Ivhon
06-23-2010, 05:38 PM
Ivhon, don't underestimate the momentum affect that goal would have had if it had counted. Just look at what happened with Portugal with North Korea.

True, but you can't put a number to it. It MIGHT have spurred a scoring bonanza...it might not.

The only thing you can say for certain is that the US had two goals disallowed on bullshit calls and STILL managed to win the group.

Kurtz
06-23-2010, 06:43 PM
USA have a wonderful draw. One of South Korea, USA, Ghana or Uruguay in the semis http://i34.tinypic.com/2zdvbck.gif

Sei'taer
06-23-2010, 06:44 PM
True, but you can't put a number to it. It MIGHT have spurred a scoring bonanza...it might not.

The only thing you can say for certain is that the US had two goals disallowed on bullshit calls and STILL managed to win the group.

I would just like to point out that when the US scored that critical goal, they were playing the way the US should have been playing the whole time. They pushed and pushed and then when the other team finally made a mistake, they crammed it into the goal, a collision with the keeper and the defenseman caused a ricochet that was then an easy shot into the goal. They played rough but legal and capitalized on it. This is what I was talking about earlier when I complained that we try to play styles of other countries instead of sticking to our own style.

We aren't good at the high-flying game that the S. Americans play, or the deep technical chess game that the Europeans play, or the freestyle game the Africans play. We play a grinding in-your-face game that pushes and pushes and pushes until you can grind a team into making a mistake and then you hammer it down their throats. From the highlights I saw (I had to listen on the radio during the game) all of the goals were this hard nosed grinding style, especially the winning goal. I was really proud to see them finally doing it. Now, if they'll just carry it on to the next match.

Sarevok
06-24-2010, 10:55 AM
Slovakia throws Italy out... :eek:

Sinistrum
06-24-2010, 11:02 AM
I love the fact that neither Italy nor France made it out of the 1st round. Now if only we could get rid of Brazil somehow...

Ivhon
06-24-2010, 11:28 AM
I love the fact that neither Italy nor France made it out of the 1st round. Now if only we could get rid of Brazil somehow...

Even though I got no points in the fantasy league or whatever that is, I find myself quite pleased that Italy is out.

Ishara
06-24-2010, 12:18 PM
I'm not sure why - and why Brazil is suddenly a target as well - unless it's because you think USA would actually have shot with those three out. Which, let's face it, not likely.

I think Italy played beautifully, and the last 10 minutes of that game were WILD. Slovakia played better - that's all.

All in all, great, exciting, well-played football.

Ivhon
06-24-2010, 12:23 PM
I'm not sure why - and why Brazil is suddenly a target as well - unless it's because you think USA would actually have shot with those three out. Which, let's face it, not likely.

I think Italy played beautifully, and the last 10 minutes of that game were WILD. Slovakia played better - that's all.

All in all, great, exciting, well-played football.

For me, Italy and France are two teams that most exhibit what I think is the worst in futbol. Namely the flopping and acting for calls.

Also, teams that implode - as Italy and ESPECIALLY France both did - are teams I automatically root against.

One Armed Gimp
06-24-2010, 12:23 PM
With Brazil out the US has a much better shot at the finals. Right now our draw is great, I love our quarter of the bracket and think we have a real shot at making it to the semi's. I also think at that point we get beat by Brazil and then play Spain for 3rd.

If Brazil were not there our prospects look better though not great. We would end up facing the Netherlands or Portugal I think.

Brazil should top their group though so it won't matter.

Sinistrum
06-24-2010, 12:40 PM
In short, I don't like Brazil because they've won too damn much. I want someone new to win it all, or at least someone who hasn't won it in awhile. Sports get boring when the same team wins the title all the time (see Boston Celtics, Los Angeles Lakers, or New York Yankees for examples).

Ishara
06-25-2010, 07:43 AM
But Brazil wins so much because they are head and shoulders above the other countries in skill and talent and sheer artistry. I personally can't find it in me to hate on any teams that inspire me to jump off the couch, or fist pump in public, or talk quietly (or not so quietly) to myself because of their beautiful play.

So Italy's last minute goal yesterday, their heart in the last 15 minutes of that game? Inspired me. As did Slovakia's unyielding pursuit of a win.

Sei'taer
06-25-2010, 08:02 AM
For me, Italy and France are two teams that most exhibit what I think is the worst in futbol. Namely the flopping and acting for calls.
Also, teams that implode - as Italy and ESPECIALLY France both did - are teams I automatically root against.

Yup...I'm right with you.

Ishy, I love to see Brazil play. I also love to see Brazil get beat for the very reasons you stated. It's a beautiful thing. It's one of the reasons I enjoy watching the Africans play. Especially Cameroon...I wear a Cameroon jersey all the time (they're my favorite, going back to 1982 when they made a fantastic showing in their first qualification for the cup). The Africans often beat teams that are far superior to them just out of sheer will and I think that is a beautiful thing to watch also. Technically superior doesn't equate to unbeatable in any game.

Les Lions Indomptables (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sP6BzU-XoRE) didn't do quite as well as I would have liked, but hey...they made it to the World Cup (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMYpcbPy-YU&NR=1). I wish I could sing the fight song on here...

Ivhon
06-25-2010, 08:37 AM
Yup...I'm right with you.

Ishy, I love to see Brazil play. I also love to see Brazil get beat for the very reasons you stated. It's a beautiful thing. It's one of the reasons I enjoy watching the Africans play. Especially Cameroon...I wear a Cameroon jersey all the time (they're my favorite, going back to 1982 when they made a fantastic showing in their first qualification for the cup). The Africans often beat teams that are far superior to them just out of sheer will and I think that is a beautiful thing to watch also. Technically superior doesn't equate to unbeatable in any game.

Les Lions Indomptables (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sP6BzU-XoRE) didn't do quite as well as I would have liked, but hey...they made it to the World Cup (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMYpcbPy-YU&NR=1). I wish I could sing the fight song on here...

Not to mention that African colors are WAY cooler than anybody elses.

I mean, think about it. Say if Canadia could figure out that soccer is essentially the same game as hockey or lacrosse - hell, it even has offsides (might take a bit to get over the no-check thing, but a few yellow cards would bring that point home)! What would their colors be? Red and White. Yawn. We in America add Blue to that mix...whoppee...just like half the other nations on the planet. Italy and Ireland? Ooh...clever. Change the blue to green. African countries take it to a whole new level though and it is totally badass.

Sarevok
06-25-2010, 08:50 AM
Not to mention that African colors are WAY cooler than anybody elses.

I mean, think about it. Say if Canadia could figure out that soccer is essentially the same game as hockey or lacrosse - hell, it even has offsides (might take a bit to get over the no-check thing, but a few yellow cards would bring that point home)! What would their colors be? Red and White. Yawn. We in America add Blue to that mix...whoppee...just like half the other nations on the planet. Italy and Ireland? Ooh...clever. Change the blue to green. African countries take it to a whole new level though and it is totally badass.

Orange rules! :p

Isabel
06-25-2010, 09:36 AM
Yeah, Orange rules!!!!

The Great Serpent
06-26-2010, 04:39 PM
The Early Goal, that age-old foe
The subject of the U.S' Woe
Not oncec but twice, for Asamoah Gyan
Struck true from long passes well done

A penalty awarded, the defender is booked
And the Americans made the score even cooked.
At the end of full-time, the score was still even
But the stars weren't aligned for the 'soccer' playing heathens

Quickly in extra time, the Black Stars strike again!
Off the foot of the young striker, who clubs in Rennes
Blasted past Superkeeper Tim Howard,
The proud Ghana side quickly turned Coward.

With gamesmanship that would make an Italian wince,
The last African side could hardly be touched without a grimace or wince.
Whether 'hurting' themselves on a flubbed bicycle kick,
Or wandering around when subbed off like an idiot prick

America! America! The day started with cheers, and hope
Now the dejected supporters are forced to MLS to cope.
________
Sick From Paxil (http://www.classactionsettlements.org/lawsuit/paxil/)

Sarevok
06-26-2010, 05:00 PM
So sorry for you, guys. :(

Ivhon
06-26-2010, 05:08 PM
Cant win if you dont play the whole game. US played well for 30 minutes in the 2nd half and 10 minutes in Extra play. That don't cut it.

greatwolf
06-26-2010, 06:26 PM
Yeeeeeeeeeeeesss!

Sinistrum
06-26-2010, 07:51 PM
I'm still mad about that extra time period. Seriously, could Team Ghana have flopped any more? I thought this was supposed to be men's soccer, not sloppy pussy soccer. I hope Uruguay embarasses them. GO FORLAN AND SUAREZ!

That said, Ivhon is right. The U.S. played like shit the first half and never were able to fully take control like they should have given the talent. Another disappointing World Cup for the Yanks.

Weird Harold
06-26-2010, 08:04 PM
I'm still mad about that extra time period. Seriously, could Team Ghana have flopped any more? I thought this was supposed to be men's soccer, not sloppy pussy soccer. I hope Uruguay embarasses them. GO FORLAN AND SUAREZ!

That said, Ivhon is right. The U.S. played like shit the first half and never were able to fully take control like they should have given the talent. Another disappointing World Cup for the Yanks.
Part of the problem with today's game was that this wasn't a "disappointing world cup" -- we entered the touranment withthe stated goal of just getting out of the group play; we won the group, so we exceeded expectaions. We went into the game today with the subconsious attitude that we were "playing with house money" so it didn't really matter if we went out today or next week against Uruguay.

Personally, today's performance was disappointing, but the overall world cup wasn't.

Sei'taer
06-26-2010, 09:43 PM
Part of the problem with today's game was that this wasn't a "disappointing world cup" -- we entered the touranment withthe stated goal of just getting out of the group play; we won the group, so we exceeded expectaions. We went into the game today with the subconsious attitude that we were "playing with house money" so it didn't really matter if we went out today or next week against Uruguay.

Personally, today's performance was disappointing, but the overall world cup wasn't.

When the ball is crossing the mouth of the goal and you are leaning back towards midfield, it shows a total lack of confidence in what you are doing. that seemed to be the problem with the US all game long. They were constantly leaning the wrong way.

Ivhon
06-26-2010, 10:09 PM
When the ball is crossing the mouth of the goal and you are leaning back towards midfield, it shows a total lack of confidence in what you are doing. that seemed to be the problem with the US all game long. They were constantly leaning the wrong way.

U.S. was beaten today. They were outplayed most of the game.

Watching this team, I consider them to be a disappointment. They did not play one game start to finish. They could have beaten Ghana. They should have beaten Algeria and Slovenia easily and handily. The talent was good enough to take them to the semis. They just never showed up consistently. To me, it seemed they had moments of overperformance, but more often underperformed. Disappointing.

On the flip-side, US futbol is slowly getting to be consistently respectable. Now. If we can just keep the Chinese government from deciding that they want to win the World Cup, we should be a contender in the next couple of decades.

Weird Harold
06-26-2010, 10:46 PM
Two things I noticed in today's game:

1: You don't get any points for hitting an opposing player in the chest when you try to pass or shoot the ball; Ghana knew this, the US didn't.

2: When you steal the ball from an opposing player, it accomplishes nothing if in doing so you kick the ball to an opposing player; Ghana knew this, the US didn't.

Also, occasional flashes of competence are not an effective counter to continuous excellence.

Sinistrum
06-27-2010, 12:54 AM
Another thing is that you don't mess with a winning combination. Why Ricardo Clark and Robbie Findley were starting I will never understand. Maurice Edu and Benny Feilhaber should have been in the starting 11.

Weird Harold
06-27-2010, 10:53 AM
Another thing is that you don't mess with a winning combination. Why Ricardo Clark and Robbie Findley were starting I will never understand. Maurice Edu and Benny Feilhaber should have been in the starting 11.
I didn't have much problem with the starting line-up changes. Like you, I wouldn't have done it, but that's the coach's job and he knows things about the players' attitude and conditioning that we don't.

A riddle for you:

What's red and squishy and can be found between German toes.

A: England's world cup team after today's game.

(Germany wins 4-1)

Sinistrum
06-27-2010, 11:20 AM
Yeah, after rooting for the Germans the last two WC's, I'm throwing my lot in with them again. Looked impressive today. England, decidedly not. Anaiya, you can come out of hiding now.

I didn't have much problem with the starting line-up changes. Like you, I wouldn't have done it, but that's the coach's job and he knows things about the players' attitude and conditioning that we don't.

Even Bob Bradley knew he screwed up. Hence the 30' substitution of Clark for Edu.

Anaiya Sedai
06-27-2010, 11:45 AM
I think I might be dead by tonight, if I cross my father in law's path in about an hour..... :S

Weird Harold
06-27-2010, 12:26 PM
Even Bob Bradley knew he screwed up. Hence the 30' substitution of Clark for Edu.

Hind-sight is 20-20; and it still took him 30' to change his mind. :D

yks 6nnetu hing
06-27-2010, 01:49 PM
US Ghana match: Kingston should have been the man of the match. Man, that keeper's good! He's definitely one of my favourite players this Cup. US had many good chances, but Kingston just... you know, took care of them.

Germany England match: The BBC commentary was fun, was something like this: "England lost 4-1 and our keeper was the best man on the field". followed by a detailed overview of allllll the mistakes. Compared to the Dutch commentary, say after The Netherlands lost to Russia in the European's in 2008, it was all "we played good, they tricked us". Quite refreshing, actually.

Ishara
06-27-2010, 06:18 PM
That said, England was robbed of proper score keeping. That goal was so clearly in from any angle OTHER than used by the assistant. Pretty sad actually, when you figure the momentum of a goal in this game.

Weird Harold
06-28-2010, 11:36 AM
Yeah, Orange rules!!!!

Orange rules! :p

Netherlands 2 Slovakia 1 Well Done!

I don't think scoring once and then playing defense is going to work against Brazil (or Chile) -- Way too many of the last 15 minutes were played in the Dutch penalty box and either Brazil or Chile are more accurate at that range than the Slovaks

Weird Harold
06-28-2010, 11:43 AM
That said, England was robbed of proper score keeping. That goal was so clearly in from any angle OTHER than used by the assistant. Pretty sad actually, when you figure the momentum of a goal in this game.
Hre's photgraphic proof they were NOT robbed. :D
http://i.imgur.com/QxJvh.jpg

Sarevok
06-28-2010, 11:49 AM
Netherlands 2 Slovakia 1 Well Done!

I don't think scoring once and then playing defense is going to work against Brazil (or Chile) -- Way too many of the last 15 minutes were played in the Dutch penalty box and either Brazil or Chile are more accurate at that range than the Slovaks

Agreed... up till the first goal, things were fine, but after that things went downhill...:eek:

Anaiya Sedai
06-28-2010, 12:11 PM
Hre's photgraphic proof they were NOT robbed. :D
http://i.imgur.com/QxJvh.jpg

LMAO. I better not let my other half see that :D

My father in law came over last night, and all he said to me all night was "I bet you are happy". meh.
No way germany will beat argentina.

Isabel
06-28-2010, 02:12 PM
Agreed... up till the first goal, things were fine, but after that things went downhill...:eek:

Hehe, well we can only get better:p We can hardly play worse next game :D

Weird Harold
06-28-2010, 03:06 PM
The netherlands should learn from scouting the current game -- Brazil didn't start playing "keep-away" until they were up by three and three-quarters of the clock was used up.

I'm pleasantly surprised at the low level of thuggery in the Brazil-Chile game -- although Chile still plays a very rough style. A couple of stupid yellow cards on Brazil's part and fewer than normal well-deserved yellows for Chile.

Ishara
06-28-2010, 10:02 PM
The netherlands should learn from scouting the current game -- Brazil didn't start playing "keep-away" until they were up by three and three-quarters of the clock was used up.

I'm pleasantly surprised at the low level of thuggery in the Brazil-Chile game -- although Chile still plays a very rough style. A couple of stupid yellow cards on Brazil's part and fewer than normal well-deserved yellows for Chile.

LOL

They're hot heads. They're mostly all under 25, and hot heads. I'm not making excuses, at all, but because of their passion for the game, theirs are some of the most aggressive, intensive and inspired games I've watched.

I can hope that in four years time their passion transmutes into something just as aggressive and a bit wiser in play.

Weird Harold
06-29-2010, 12:48 AM
LOL

They're hot heads. They're mostly all under 25, and hot heads. I'm not making excuses, at all, but because of their passion for the game, theirs are some of the most aggressive, intensive and inspired games I've watched.

I can hope that in four years time their passion transmutes into something just as aggressive and a bit wiser in play.
Nah, Chile has been the thugs of international Futbol for as long as I've been watching. This year's contrast was highlighted by the announcer during their match with Spain in the Group phase -- "Chile has eleven yellow cards and one red card thus far in the 2010 World Cup while Spain has none."

Argentina has historically been nearly as bad, but don't seem to be collecting the cards this tournament like they have in the past.

Sarevok
06-29-2010, 05:55 AM
One of the Dutch analists made an argument against major use of technology that wasn't based on emotion in the game. I thought I'd share it here.
As an example he took England (non-)goal against Germany:
He asked: When should the game have been stopped? And why?
Before you answer, not that play is usually only stopped when the ball is out of the game, or there has been a foul.
In the case of this goal, there was neither (as far as the referees were aware). So, why and when should the ref have stopped the game to look at the video?

Let's do the "Why?" first: Because the English coach and players say so? Referees are always taught to make up their own minds, and not to listen to the players, as the will say what benefits them, anyway.

Next the "When?": There's no legitimate reason to stop the game as far as the referees are aware at this point. The only reason are some players yelling at him. There are to possible answers to this:
The moment it happened: That would mean that any time the referee is not 100% sure of anything (and that's just about always) game would have to be stopped. That means stopping the game while the German goalkeeper had just intercepted that ball and was about to start Germany's counter while England's team was still positioned for offense. When the game is stopped for even half a minute to allow a video ref to look at his screen, that means England would have had plenty of time to organise their defense, which would ruin any chance of a quick German counter. If it had not been a goal, this would have made Germany quite mad a the referee for stopping the game for no reason.

The other option would be the decision about this goal isn't made until the next moment the game is stopped, which can be more than 10 minutes away. Would anything that has happened in those 10 minutes then be considered to not have happened? Even if there was a goal? Or red or yellow cards?

I'm not opposed to the idea of using technology, but I really don't see how this could be implemented without problems that are at least as big as the current ones.

yks 6nnetu hing
06-29-2010, 06:07 AM
One of the Dutch analists made an argument against major use of technology that wasn't based on emotion in the game. I thought I'd share it here.
Before you answer, not that play is usually only stopped when the ball is out of the game, or there has been a foul.
In the case of this goal, there was neither (as far as the referees were aware). So, why and when should the ref have stopped the game to look at the video?

Let's do the "Why?" first: Because the English coach and players say so? Referees are always taught to make up their own minds, and not to listen to the players, as the will say what benefits them, anyway.

Next the "When?": There's no legitimate reason to stop the game as far as the referees are aware at this point. The only reason are some players yelling at him. There are to possible answers to this:
The moment it happened: That would mean that any time the referee is not 100% sure of anything (and that's just about always) game would have to be stopped. That means stopping the game while the German goalkeeper had just intercepted that ball and was about to start Germany's counter while England's team was still positioned for offense. When the game is stopped for even half a minute to allow a video ref to look at his screen, that means England would have had plenty of time to organise their defense, which would ruin any chance of a quick German counter. If it had not been a goal, this would have made Germany quite mad a the referee for stopping the game for no reason.

The other option would be the decision about this goal isn't made until the next moment the game is stopped, which can be more than 10 minutes away. Would anything that has happened in those 10 minutes then be considered to not have happened? Even if there was a goal? Or red or yellow cards?

I'm not opposed to the idea of using technology, but I really don't see how this could be implemented without problems that are at least as big as the current ones.

yesterday... don't remember if it was on BBC or on the Dutch tv, someone floated the idea that it might make sense to do it like in tennis: each side has 3 calls for "let's review the tape". I quite like that idea because it reduces the dirty play but doesn't interfere with the flow of the game too much. and of course, the team coaches need to use serious discretion when to call for a review - they'll still have to rely on the referees for the most part, so that will become a part of strategic play in a way similar to player changes.

Sarevok
06-29-2010, 08:00 AM
yesterday... don't remember if it was on BBC or on the Dutch tv, someone floated the idea that it might make sense to do it like in tennis: each side has 3 calls for "let's review the tape". I quite like that idea because it reduces the dirty play but doesn't interfere with the flow of the game too much. and of course, the team coaches need to use serious discretion when to call for a review - they'll still have to rely on the referees for the most part, so that will become a part of strategic play in a way similar to player changes.

It's an idea, but there's still the question of "when?". If a coach can use this at any time during the match, he could use it to interrupt an opposing team's offense.
If he can't use it at any time, it would have to be when play is interrupted by a foul or the ball going out of bounds, which could be 10 minutes after the event. (see my previous post for more on this problem)

Sei'taer
06-29-2010, 08:04 AM
analists

I was laughing so hard I peed on myself a little.

Sorry Sare, sometimes I can't help myself. Nothing against you. Well, maybe a little bit, but that's for other stuff....

yks 6nnetu hing
06-29-2010, 08:08 AM
It's an idea, but there's still the question of "when?". If a coach can use this at any time during the match, he could use it to interrupt an opposing team's offense.
If he can't use it at any time, it would have to be when play is interrupted by a foul or the ball going out of bounds, which could be 10 minutes after the event. (see my previous post for more on this problem)

It would make sense to have a time limit: for example, if the coach doesn't signal a review of the play within say a minute after the incident was originally refereed (er... or not refereed, whatever thecase may be) then tough luck. lol, there could be like a huge red button that they could push to make sure the referee gets notified....

Sinistrum
06-29-2010, 09:03 AM

Argentina/Mexico provides a good example of this. The refs had a mini conference after Tevez's offsides goal. Review should be directly after the play in question. I brought up the "challenge" idea before and part of the rule used in the NFL for it is that if a challenge isn't used before the next play is snapped, you waive the right to challenge it. For soccer you could put in a time limit of say 30 seconds or so.

Ivhon
06-29-2010, 09:24 AM
Argentina/Mexico provides a good example of this. The refs had a mini conference after Tevez's offsides goal. Review should be directly after the play in question. I brought up the "challenge" idea before and part of the rule used in the NFL for it is that if a challenge isn't used before the next play is snapped, you waive the right to challenge it. For soccer you could put in a time limit of say 30 seconds or so.

Still leaves the problem of using the review to kill a counterattack. Or to kill time and interrupt the flow of the game in the closing minutes/extra time.

Then again, if you made it so there was a disadvantage to a failed review....say, if you win, there is a midfield throw-in for whichever team should ordinarily have possession. If you lose, it is a corner kick for the other team. I like that.

Mort
06-29-2010, 12:37 PM
Did anyone watch paraguay vs Japan just now? It was pretty good. Paraguay were on paper the better team, but Japan put up a good fight, ended in penalty kicks (unusual) where Paraguay won with 5-3. Pretty intense game. Soon Spain vs Portugal! Will probably be a good game.

Weird Harold
06-29-2010, 12:39 PM

I believe the "goal line technology" that will be reconsidered at the next FIOFA business meeting is similar to the red light and buzzer that sounds when a hockey goal is scored.

I'm not sure how that functions because I'm not a hockey fan, but clearly if the buzzer sounds when the ball crosses the goal line, play then stops and a review of any offsides or foul controversy can be resolved before the ensuing restart.

If the buzzer doesn't sound, then the ball was not detected electronically beyond the goal line and no challenge should be required.

Alternatively, the challenge could be made as soon as the challenging team regains possession and can stop play with a deliberate kick out of play. It may take ten minutes, but the clock can be rolled back, negating any goal scored on a "fast break" after the disputed goal if a challenge is successful; i.e. the fast break goal would not have happened if the goal was properly allowed.

If FIFA again decides against technlogy, then they should add four special officials as "goal monitors" from the goal uprights whose only purpose is to decide whether the ball crossed the goal line; electronic tracking would be more accurate, but subsituting more eyes for technology would suit the "human factor" bias FIFA has maintined up until this morning.

ETA: since red and yellow cards can be issued during stoppage of play, there is no reason that they shouldn't be issued during "play that never happened." Penalty kicks and any associated cards would be a special case that would not have happened after a successful challenge, but the technology should logically come into play when the ball crosses the goal-line which would normally stop play anyway if it was called correctly.

Weird Harold
06-29-2010, 12:50 PM
Did anyone watch paraguay vs Japan just now? It was pretty good. Paraguay were on paper the better team, but Japan put up a good fight, ended in penalty kicks (unusual) where Paraguay won with 5-3. Pretty intense game. Soon Spain vs Portugal! Will probably be a good game.
I caught the second half of extra time but didn't think the outcome was particularly relevant. The next game for Paraguay is either Portugal or Spain (probably Spain) and the only thing this morning's game decided is who Spain (or Portugal) gets to embarrass in the next round.

For Parguay to advance any further would take an act of God combined with several massive bribes. :rolleyes:

Ivhon
06-29-2010, 01:52 PM
Really like how this official is letting them play in this game. Forcing Ronaldo to stay on his feet and play.

Spain is playing some risky, if fancy, defense.

greatwolf
06-29-2010, 03:33 PM
For Parguay to advance any further would take an act of God combined with several massive bribes. :rolleyes:

Isn't that part of the human element in football? :p

Spain deserved to win tonight but seeing the ref was portugeese, I wondered if the jinx was about to strike again. So hopefully we'll see them in the semis. Tough for Torres though.

Weird Harold
06-29-2010, 03:37 PM
Really like how this official is letting them play in this game. Forcing Ronaldo to stay on his feet and play.

Spain is playing some risky, if fancy, defense.
That fancy but risky defense is called keep-a-way and it eventually is going to be Spain's downfall, I think.

Especially after they scored, they weren't real interested in attacking unless an opening an "under-7" player could spot opened up. :rolleyes:

A couple of games ago, an announcer suggested that Spain was "too nice" because they thay hadn't gotten a single card in the entire tournament; he may be right or they just might be so good they don't need to be very agressive.

dominominic
06-29-2010, 07:03 PM

This would amount to referees BALEFIRING the game!

Weird Harold
06-29-2010, 08:14 PM
This would amount to referees BALEFIRING the game!
Nah, it would be more a dream that never happened.

Goal-line technology is only feasible if it notifies the referee of a the possibility of a goal, which would stop play as soon as the notification horn, buzzer, flashing light goes off. The referee would have to make a conscious decision to signal "Play On" immediately to keep play from stopping.

If they adopt a challenge system, then yes, it could be like balefiring the game back to the disputed play, but like balefire, paradoxes would still exist.

Ivhon
07-02-2010, 10:52 AM
Wow. Go Oranj!

1. Brazil gets pissy when they are behind
2. Watching Kaka throw punches is funny.
3. Out of curiosity, could a redcard conceivably result in a forfeit in penalty kicks if you have to go through the entire line?

yks 6nnetu hing
07-02-2010, 11:05 AM
ORANGE is a wonderful colour! The best in the world :D

Mort
07-02-2010, 11:18 AM
I caught the second half of extra time but didn't think the outcome was particularly relevant. The next game for Paraguay is either Portugal or Spain (probably Spain) and the only thing this morning's game decided is who Spain (or Portugal) gets to embarrass in the next round.

The final score wasn't so relevant no, but it was a good game, better than I thought it would be.

Also: HOOOOOOLLLLAAAAAAANDD!!!!! :D

I've cheered for them throughout the cup, and now they show they are gods for beating Brazil. I hope they get the gold!

It was a pretty sick game though. Very intense. Both sides did some very strange stuff on that field. Holland did the worst blunders though. Like the corner kick where they tried switching players but it ended up just a mess. And then in the end when they were 3 against 1 and did didn't seem to be able to go in for a shot, sigh.

Oh well, they won anyway. A really good comeback after 1-1 goal. LOVE IT!

Brita
07-02-2010, 11:36 AM
Congrats Netherlands! It was your turn :D

Isabel
07-02-2010, 12:50 PM
LOL, you wouldn't believe how horrible my day was.....

It started this morning. I arrived at the trainstation and since someone jumped in front of the train (or was found injured on the track) all the trains didn't go. So I went home. About half an hour later I saw on the internet that the trains were going again, so i went back....
And no it took another hour before i could take a train to Utrecht. One train came but was completely filled.

Well this afternoon I watched the game at work, but in the first half it went so bad and I went a bit cranky. And me being in a cranky mood and bitch how bad we are isn't a very good impression on people you work with. So i decided to go home.

And again the trains didn't go.... It was too hot now and there was an interruption.
After 30 minutes sitting in a hot train i decided to go out the train and watch the game again. Since I heard it was 2-1 again :)
So i ended up watching the last 15 minutes on Utrecht Central Station.
And it was scary..... Everyone clapped when we kicked the ball to the other field... But we were so bad, with 3 people for the goal keeper and we couldn't score.....

Oh well, we are through :)))) Now I hope I can wathc the next game at home and no more trouble with the trains.

Anaiya Sedai
07-02-2010, 01:42 PM
How dare someone jump in front of a train? ;)

Yay to Orange!! :D

Sinistrum
07-02-2010, 02:20 PM
Yes! Brazil can't win its fifth world cup!

yks 6nnetu hing
07-02-2010, 02:39 PM
Yes! Brazil can't win its fifth world cup!

sixth.

*sigh* the international press was obviously fans of Brazil. Apparently Robben was only having "histrionics (http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/03/sports/soccer/03brazilgame.html)" when Melo stomped on him.

Ghana is doing good agains Uruguay right now. would be awesome if they came up against Netherlands in the semi's :) Ghana's my second favourite team, they have great team play and a truly awesome keeper :p

Sarevok
07-02-2010, 03:16 PM
sixth.

*sigh* the international press was obviously fans of Brazil.

The only international report I saw on the game was CNN's pre-match report. The reporter thought the Netherlands would win. :)

Anaiya Sedai
07-02-2010, 04:07 PM
I can't believe ghana just missed that penalty.. and that two of the uruguayans went to play goalkeeper, cheated and might have saved their team. bah.

Heinz
07-02-2010, 04:33 PM
that has to qualify as the cheapest victory in World Cup history (though I'm sure a soccer junkie will correct me). Uruguay team and its fans ought to be feeling unsettled by that win. I know I would were it the Packers winning in a stupid fasion like that (football is my sport, and WI my state). I'd think, 'Well, I guess its nice to go on, but from here on out anything we might accomplish will have a caveat'.

Sarevok
07-02-2010, 06:56 PM
I can't believe ghana just missed that penalty.. and that two of the uruguayans went to play goalkeeper, cheated and might have saved their team. bah.

I have to disagree with that assesment. Any other player of any other team would have done exactly the same in Suarez' position.

Sei'taer
07-02-2010, 11:44 PM
I have to disagree with that assesment. Any other player of any other team would have done exactly the same in Suarez' position.

Yup. I've scored goals on blatant handballs that got no call. Never played much defense so I can't say I've done it, but I would have in that situation.

JSUCamel
07-03-2010, 12:45 AM
I've scored ... on blatant handballs

heh heh... hand balls.. heh.. heh... scored.. heh heh...

yks 6nnetu hing
07-03-2010, 11:03 AM

Yes. A red card and penalty is not the same thing as sure goal. Not sure if I should be glad or sad. On the one hand, the worse team won, on the other hand the worse team is coming up against Netherlands, and they'll be without Suarez (which is good since two of the Dutch defenders are out for the next game).

also... Germany beat Argentina. see Oaty, they do that to everyone: England, Argentina, Australia. Nothing to be ashamed of ;)

greatwolf
07-03-2010, 11:19 AM
LOL, you wouldn't believe how horrible my day was.....

Oh well, we are through :)))) Now I hope I can wathc the next game at home and no more trouble with the trains.

Good for you Isa, you beat the best team and since SA's really full of Europeans, this is likely to be a European W/C. But will Holland have enough left to go all the way after beating Brazil?

Sei'taer
07-03-2010, 12:49 PM
Way to go Germany. They beat Flopintina handily and I loved it!

Isabel
07-03-2010, 01:04 PM
Good for you Isa, you beat the best team and since SA's really full of Europeans, this is likely to be a European W/C. But will Holland have enough left to go all the way after beating Brazil?

I hope so ;) A dutch - german final would be great.

Weird Harold
07-03-2010, 04:33 PM
I hope so ;) A dutch - german final would be great.
I think it's going to be Netherlands v Spain for the final. The difference is going to be Spain's goal Keeper and the final score witll be 0-0 Spain advances 9-8 on PKs

greatwolf
07-03-2010, 05:56 PM
I think it's going to be Netherlands v Spain for the final. The difference is going to be Spain's goal Keeper and the final score witll be 0-0 Spain advances 9-8 on PKs

Ha! Just don't put hard earned money on it. Germany's in full flight right now.

Weird Harold
07-03-2010, 07:07 PM
Ha! Just don't put hard earned money on it. Germany's in full flight right now.

Did you watch Spain's goalkeeper today? He just might have used up a whole tournament's worth of luck, but there was nothing "lucky" about his ability to be in the right place at the right time.

yks 6nnetu hing
07-04-2010, 05:16 AM
Did you watch Spain's goalkeeper today? He just might have used up a whole tournament's worth of luck, but there was nothing "lucky" about his ability to be in the right place at the right time.

You know, football is a lot like Quiddich... D'you think maybe someone slipped him a potion of Felix Felicitas?

greatwolf
07-04-2010, 07:37 AM

Germany's doing a lot of "in the right place at the right time" Four times yesterday alone and they did it like it was nothing unusual, like they could go on indefinitely. How's Spain going to cope with that?

Wasteful hardly begins to describe them.

lurk
07-04-2010, 08:33 AM
Argentina played poorly against the germans. I do think the germans play well tho..

But now, Spain ouch. I think germany will find its Waterloo in the semi's. Spain vs Netherlands in the final. oooooh can't wait ~hops on chair~

Weird Harold
07-04-2010, 12:54 PM
Argentina played poorly against the germans. I do think the germans play well tho..

It might be just as accurate to say the germans made Argentina look bad. :D

But now, Spain ouch. I think germany will find its Waterloo in the semi's. Spain vs Netherlands in the final.

Since Germany's wunderkind striker, Mueller(sp), is out for the semifinal game Spain is looking more like a solid favorite. It's still going to be close and may well depend on whether the goalkeepers are well stocked with Felicitas potions.

~hops on chair~

While you were up on that chair, did you notice the Tour de France going by?

Sarevok
07-06-2010, 04:07 PM
*does a happy dance*
*does another happy dance*

Oh, right. In case any missed it: Netherlands beat Uruguay 2-3. :D:D:D

*does some more dancing*

While you were up on that chair, did you notice the Tour de France going by?

Uh, yeah, I did actually. :) Last stage was nice. The one before was a mess... :eek:

Weird Harold
07-06-2010, 04:24 PM
*does a happy dance*
*does another happy dance*

Oh, right. In case any missed it: Netherlands beat Uruguay 2-3. :D:D:D

*does some more dancing*

Uh, yeah, I did actually. :) Last stage was nice. The one before was a mess... :eek:
Congratulations Orange! A well played game and a good result.

Le Tour 2010 has been a bloody mess through the Prologue and three stages. :eek: I hope it settles down and people get to race instead of dodging bodies.

Zaela Sedai
07-06-2010, 04:27 PM
Wow... A Netherlands/Germany final would be quite... "fun" wouldn't it.

For some reason I think it might rival a Game 7 ALCS Sox/Yankees match up LOL

Ishara
07-06-2010, 08:41 PM
Well played, everyone! That second goal in overage minutes was phenomenal - made the game so exciting to see that the Uruguayans didn't give up, despite the quick succession of Dutch goals. Am excited for tomorrow's match!

Isabel
07-06-2010, 11:03 PM
Yeah a German - Netherlands game would be quite exciting :)

yks 6nnetu hing
07-07-2010, 02:24 AM
very tense match... The Dutch lost their rhythm when de Zeeuw got hit hard in the face, which then gave excellent opportunities to Uruguay for scoring. The second half was better up until the very end when the Dutch had several near-empty Uruguayan goals in front of them but failed to score (Robben, Elia), instead Uruguay scored at the very end of the game. And the ref wouldn't blow his whistle for 2 minutes! Well, he did, but that was to give a yellow card to Van Bommel (I've no idea why).

All in all, awesome game.

Sarevok
07-07-2010, 03:24 PM
Spain just beat Germany. Guess no Netherlands-Germany final then. :(

Zaela Sedai
07-07-2010, 07:40 PM
boooooooo! ah well

Bryan Blaire
07-07-2010, 10:33 PM
Apparently there is a Dutchie porn star offering free "grilled cheese" to all her Twitter followers if the Pumpkin team wins the Final.

Sare, Gonzo, either of you guys followers on Twitter? :eek: ;)

lurk
07-08-2010, 07:49 AM
netherlands - spain final match. I am soo gonna like this match. two teams able to play very good combinations, have extremley well technique.

But both able to be patient, hope that does not ruin the dy :(

all in all: we have two lost finals on our account one european championship in the pocket. Time for that world cup

We wantsss it, we will not let them evil hissspanobitsesss steal our precioussss :D

Zanguini
07-08-2010, 08:42 AM
Hmm... I dont know who to cheer for. On the one hand I generally always root for the underdog... on the other as Austin Powers tells us... The Dutch are evil... On the one hand I cant very well abide by players who are richer than Midas who want more money... On the other hand watching the Dutch team for too long makes my eyes bleed... On the one hand I dont know anyone from Spain ... On the other hand Gonzo is Dutch... Choices Choices.... Well... Viva el Orange!!

GonzoTheGreat
07-08-2010, 10:14 AM
Don't worry too much, Zan, I couldn't care less about that game (or any football game I'm not playing in myself) anyway.

Sarevok
07-08-2010, 10:17 AM
Don't worry too much, Zan, I couldn't care less about that game (or any football game I'm not playing in myself) anyway.

Harrumpf

Mort
07-08-2010, 05:36 PM
It will be one heck of a game. Even though I am unsure if Netherlands would have won against Germany... some people were saying they thought the "real" finale was between Germany-Spain. They have been showing more strengths to be honest, especially Germany, which is why I thought they would win against Spain...

Neither of the teams has ever won a World Cup Gold medal (dont think they havn't even played a final game?), so it will be fun whoever wins really, but I'm leaning a bit more towards the Netherlands :)

Sarevok
07-08-2010, 06:07 PM
(dont think they havn't even played a final game?)

'74 and '78, thank you very much! :P

GonzoTheGreat
07-09-2010, 02:47 AM
(dont think they havn't even played a final game?)I will have you know that my country is exceptionally good at coming second best. I fully expect them to go on in this proud tradition. (I've been saying right from the start of the tournament that they would lose either in the semi-final or in the final. So far, my prediction is right on track.)

Matoyak
07-09-2010, 10:50 AM
On the other hand Gonzo is Dutch...Ah, then the correct answer is, of course, Spain.
;)
Just kiddin, of course.

Kurtz
07-09-2010, 07:05 PM
http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/blog/2010/jul/09/world-cup-2010-tactics-the-question

For bored geeks of the game, the consistently brilliant Jonathan Wilson.

Also, Van Bommel is going to have a terrific time until his first yellow.

As the article says, expect plenty of long efforts from the Dutch, though apart from Diego, few have actually figured out how to slap this ball properly.

Weird Harold
07-09-2010, 09:56 PM
Ah, then the correct answer is, of course, Spain.
;)
Just kiddin, of course.
If I heard the radio correctly, Pauli the octopus, has put his 6-0 record on the line and picked Uruguay over Germany and Netherlands over Spain.

He did take a very long time considering Germany before Picking against them, so that one is probably going to be the better game. :rolleyes:

Matoyak
07-09-2010, 10:37 PM
If I heard the radio correctly, Pauli the octopus, has put his 6-0 record on the line and picked Uruguay over Germany and Netherlands over Spain.

He did take a very long time considering Germany before Picking against them, so that one is probably going to be the better game. :rolleyes:Wait, why was I being quoted there? My post was 100% poking fun at Gonzo...
(By the by, I know jack shit about soccer, or the teams that play it, or the world cup, or anything along those lines.)

Weird Harold
07-10-2010, 01:12 AM
Wait, why was I being quoted there? My post was 100% poking fun at Gonzo...
(By the by, I know jack shit about soccer, or the teams that play it, or the world cup, or anything along those lines.)
For whatever reason, you picked Spain, so your post was a good choice for Octo-Pauli to disagree with. :D

Sarevok
07-10-2010, 02:48 AM

He picked exactly the other way 'round, actually. :mad:

Isabel
07-10-2010, 03:27 AM
Yeah, but wasn't there a goat which picked the Netherlands?

GonzoTheGreat
07-10-2010, 04:38 AM
Yeah, but wasn't there a goat which picked the Netherlands?I dunno, but on the RTL News they showed a parrot or some such which did that.

They also mentioned that the octopus had been right in the European Championship too, apart from the actual finals, which he got wrong.

Zaela Sedai
07-11-2010, 03:56 PM
CRIES

Sarevok
07-11-2010, 04:10 PM
*goes cry in a courner somewhere*

:'(

greatwolf
07-11-2010, 04:24 PM
Good for Spain though, they finally put the perennial underachiever's tag behind them. At least this time. They seem to be on the verge of a decline though but that might just be me.

First Torres stopped scoring, now David Villa's on break as well. Is there something wrong somewhere?

Ivhon
07-11-2010, 04:29 PM
My consistent strong performances in two consecutive world cup pools despite knowing diddly about soccer suggests that there is a future source of income if I take 10 minutes to learn the game.

Sei'taer
07-11-2010, 04:38 PM
My consistent strong performances in two consecutive world cup pools despite knowing diddly about soccer suggests that there is a future source of income if I take 10 minutes to learn the game.

Once you learn the game all the innocence of the pick is lost and you'll be no good at it anymore. That's why I do so good in the pools for the NCAA tourneys. I hate basketball and never watch a game.