PDA

View Full Version : Fight Global Warming by Painting

JSUCamel
06-17-2010, 03:28 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/world/latin_america/10333304.stm

Seriously. He paints a mountain. Like.. puts paint... on a mountain.

Sei'taer
06-17-2010, 04:47 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/world/latin_america/10333304.stm

Seriously. He paints a mountain. Like.. puts paint... on a mountain.

Dude...that's...never mind, I have no words.

Matoyak
06-18-2010, 12:21 AM
~blink~
Whaaa...?

tworiverswoman
06-18-2010, 12:43 AM
I am too ignorant of the science to applaud or sneer. But I do know that the basic concept that white reflects heat and dark absorbs it is largely correct.The US Energy Secretary, Steven Chu, has endorsed a similar idea using white roofs in the United States - possibly more pragmatic than painting mountains. Obviously the idea at its most basic has merit, even though I'm not sure if it's PRACTICABLE. Mountains are huge and men are pretty small. How about using "crop-dusters?" No, never mind, the air currents would be crazy...

Anyway - I like the "go for it" attitude. :)

Crispin's Crispian
06-18-2010, 03:44 PM
So two things bother me about this article.

1) Why wouldn't the snow and ice of the glacier have produced the same effect on albedo as the white paint? If the climate warmed enough to melt the glacier despite its color (assuming it was white overall), why would white paint cool it enough to bring the glacier back?

2)
"On a local scale, it might have an impact, it might change a trend, improve things a little," says Thomas Condom, a glaciologist and hydrologist working at the French Institute for Research and Development, which has been monitoring tropical glaciers in the Andes for the past 15 years. Please tell me he has brothers named Dick and Harry...

Ivhon
06-18-2010, 03:50 PM
So two things bother me about this article.

1) Why wouldn't the snow and ice of the glacier have produced the same effect on albedo as the white paint? If the climate warmed enough to melt the glacier despite its color (assuming it was white overall), why would white paint cool it enough to bring the glacier back?

2)
Please tell me he has brothers named Dick and Harry...

One would assume that it did, however the snow and ice stops producing the effect when they melt...white paint doesn't melt.

I.E. The snow and ice slowed, but could not stop the warming effect. Without the snow and ice, the warming effect increases. Hopefully, the paint can reintroduce the effect at higher temperatures than snow and ice can exist in.

That would be the thought, anyway.

Yellowbeard
06-18-2010, 04:30 PM
i thought the idea about white rooftops was a double edged sword. yeah it will help cool buildings in the summer by reflecting more heat away, but by the same token, wouldn't it also make it more expensive to heat buildings in the winter? if it reflects the sunlight away in the day, the building doesn't absorb as much heat, making the heating system need to put out more heat to compensate.

Crispin's Crispian
06-18-2010, 05:04 PM
Hopefully, the paint can reintroduce the effect at higher temperatures than snow and ice can exist in.

That would be the thought, anyway.

That's the missing piece for me, I guess. But let's say the paint does work. What happens? Snow falls, covers the paint, and we start all over again because snow's albedo is smaller?

Ivhon
06-18-2010, 05:09 PM
That's the missing piece for me, I guess. But let's say the paint does work. What happens? Snow falls, covers the paint, and we start all over again because snow's albedo is smaller?

My guess the idea is to stop or slow the warming effect rather than reverse it.

I.E. (pulling numbers out of my butt)

With snow on the mtn tops, temperatures are rising 0.2 degrees/year
With no snow on the mtn tops, temperatures are rising 0.6 degrees/year
With paint on the mtn., temperatures are rising 0.3 degrees/year.

Something like that...