PDA

View Full Version : God Bless our troops

Hopper
06-23-2010, 12:57 PM
Not safe for work unless you enjoy crying in front of your coworkers.

Corenne (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkGzqpGx1KU&feature=related)

Zaela Sedai
06-23-2010, 11:00 PM
SHAME on you for posting that with Preggos around!!

I loved it, had to watch both videos :D

Frenzy
06-23-2010, 11:02 PM
the dog one was awesome. actually, they're all awesome.

JSUCamel
06-23-2010, 11:30 PM
the dog one was awesome. actually, they're all awesome.

Speaking of awesome and troops, I've had this urge recently to do something to show the troops out there that I support them, but the only thing I can think of to do is to write a letter to one (or many), which I am in the process of doing right now. I'd actually like to come up with something more community-based or something. For instance, the Zac Brown Band had a promotion (it may still be running, i dunno) where they give away free copies of their album if you write a letter to a soldier.

What can a regular camel like me do to show appreciation to our soldiers who put their lives on the line and spend months away from their loved ones to protect and serve our country? Is there anything that a local community can do?

One Armed Gimp
06-24-2010, 11:31 AM
What can a regular camel like me do to show appreciation to our soldiers who put their lives on the line and spend months away from their loved ones to protect and serve our country? Is there anything that a local community can do?

Socks. Toiletries. Soccer balls, football's, frisbee's (especially the good ones from a sporting goods store). Socks. Books. Socks. Girl Scout cookies.

Oh yeah, and socks.

Depending on where you are at, there isn't much you can not get. But good solid new socks are amazing in my opinion. My wife always sent Full Throttle but thats only because I am an addict and they didn't have that over there.

Davian93
06-24-2010, 11:36 AM
Speaking of awesome and troops, I've had this urge recently to do something to show the troops out there that I support them, but the only thing I can think of to do is to write a letter to one (or many), which I am in the process of doing right now. I'd actually like to come up with something more community-based or something. For instance, the Zac Brown Band had a promotion (it may still be running, i dunno) where they give away free copies of their album if you write a letter to a soldier.

Find a local VFW, AMVETS, IAVA office or even the local VA clinic and donate to their care packages that they send. Send exactly what OAG stated to send...seriously, we LOVE that type of stuff overseas.

2nd the socks thing...you can NEVER EVER have enough socks...TP is also appreciated...though that's more during a campaign than now I would think. I have to think the TP situation in Afghanistan is doing better than it was in 02 (seriously, no TP in the entire damn country...how ridiculous is that).

On that note, leaves can be used as TP in a pinch and thankfully MREs stop you up so its typically not loose when you have to go anyway so there's not much wiping needed. Still, no freaking TP.

I have PTSD from the no TP I think...8 years freaking later.

Frenzy
06-24-2010, 12:37 PM
No TP? yeesh!!
On that note, leaves can be used as TP in a pinch and thankfully MREs stop you up so its typically not loose when you have to go anyway so there's not much wiping needed. Still, no freaking TP.
That also explains why new socks are so greatly appreciated. ;)

Mort
06-28-2010, 09:46 AM
I got to steal this thread just for a bit...

I was sitting in one of the gates at Charlotte Airport. Suddenly a lot of people are standing beside the window looking out at something. I stand up and check whats going on.

Several soldiers in formal wear and in formation and civilians are there. Then they start taking out coffins with the US flag draped over them... :(

Theres now quite a crowd at the window where I am standing and no one says a word. A few people salute along with the soldiers outside, some sheds a few tears too.

It was very gripping to see that, especially how regular people reacted to the whole thing.

yks 6nnetu hing
06-28-2010, 10:02 AM
2nd the socks thing...you can NEVER EVER have enough socks...

I know, right? One can never have enough socks. You know what's best? different colour/pattern socks, so that you know right away if one's missing.

On a more serious note: it's been almost 9 years *sigh* :(