PDA

View Full Version : Well, that was fun

ShadowbaneX
06-23-2010, 12:51 PM
We just had an earthquake here. Relatively minor on the grand scale of things, but it's a fairly largish one in my memory. From what I'm seeing it hit not only here, but was also felt in Toronto & Montreal, which is a decent chunk of real estate.

Ishy, I'm guessing you felt it down there too? Anyone else feel it?

Davian93
06-23-2010, 01:04 PM
Yeah, I felt it here in Burlington, VT too. Very light shaking for maybe 30 seconds.

ShadowbaneX
06-23-2010, 01:07 PM
Yeah, I felt it here in Burlington, VT too. Very light shaking for maybe 30 seconds.

It was a bit more then that here, but I think the epicenter was nearby.

Just saw at this site (http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/recenteqsww/Quakes/quakes_all.html) that it was a 5.5 at the "Ontario-Quebec Border Region, Canada." I'm looking up where that is now, but I need to install Google Earth first.

Davian93
06-23-2010, 01:07 PM
I was just about to post that.

Nice.

ShadowbaneX
06-23-2010, 01:15 PM
Looks like the epicenter is about 61 km (36.5 miles) North of Ottawa.

http://i47.tinypic.com/ddcl0j_th.jpg (http://i47.tinypic.com/ddcl0j.jpg)

(click for larger image)

Davian93
06-23-2010, 01:28 PM
Canadia was probably testing an underground nuke...prepping to invade us are you!?!

ShadowbaneX
06-23-2010, 01:30 PM
Canadia was probably testing an underground nuke...prepping to invade us are you!?!
shhhhhhh! You're not supposed to know yet. First the snow is supposed to come, then the hockey, then the maple syrup...once you're drowned in those things, that's when the invasion comes.

Davian93
06-23-2010, 01:36 PM
shhhhhhh! You're not supposed to know yet. First the snow is supposed to come, then the hockey, then the maple syrup...once you're drowned in those things, that's when the invasion comes.

Canada: Winter Is Coming!

Brita
06-23-2010, 02:02 PM
Cool SBX! Where were you when it started? Any damage?

ShadowbaneX
06-23-2010, 02:29 PM
I was in my room, in front of my computer as usual. Just a few things knocked off shelves and the like, no real damage.

My dad and I first thought that it was the dryer that was overloaded, but it went on far too long and that was the OLD dryer that used to do that. My sister, who's housing area is still being built thought that it was the constructions guys going nuts. My mom was a bit freaked though. All of her pictures on top of her desk at work fell down. Everything seems fine though.

Did you feel anything?

Brita
06-23-2010, 03:33 PM
No, nothing. Far too far away :D

Sarevok
06-23-2010, 04:02 PM
is happy the worst earthquakes over here tend to be 2 or 3 on the Richter scale.

Ishara
06-23-2010, 05:53 PM
Ha.

So, in case you're hiding under a rock this week, it's G8-G20 week in Toronto this week!

The downtown core (through which many thousands of people, maybe a hundred thousand? travel to get into the city to work) is divided by HUGE chainlink fences, patrolled by hundreds of police, literally 10 or more on each corner, and more drifting through crowds of commuters, and under HIGH security in advance of these events.

Yesterday there was a shot fired downtown in the morning.

This morning there was a suspicious package found at track level at the subway stop known as Queen's Park (that closest to the Legislative Building).

And then something made the buildings shake for about 45 seconds.

Wanna guess at the level of FREAK in Toronto this afternoon?

One could laugh.

Frenzy
06-23-2010, 10:07 PM
at first my California self was going to scoff at all the firmlanders freaking out over a piddly 5.0. But if it was felt hundreds of miles away from the epicenter, that's impressive.

ShadowbaneX
06-23-2010, 10:18 PM
well, I said in my first post, it was relatively minor on the grand scale of things, but the largest that I've experienced.

I was reading up and it was saying that earthquakes on the east cost are less frequent and not nearly as strong, but are felt over much longer distances.

Terez
06-24-2010, 04:17 AM
It's because the land isn't as segmented as it is on the West Coast, probably. Ask Hopper. But I imagine that the frequency of earthquakes there has created some natural buffer.

Davian93
06-24-2010, 07:22 AM
well, I said in my first post, it was relatively minor on the grand scale of things, but the largest that I've experienced.

I was reading up and it was saying that earthquakes on the east cost are less frequent and not nearly as strong, but are felt over much longer distances.

Which is a big reason the New Madrid quake rang bells in Boston...well over 1000 miles away.

WinespringBrother
06-24-2010, 07:41 AM
My co-worker claimed to notice the desks and floor rumbling a bit (in southern NY) but I didn't notice anything.

Davian93
06-24-2010, 07:57 AM
My co-worker claimed to notice the desks and floor rumbling a bit (in southern NY) but I didn't notice anything.

Did they notice it before or after it made the news...

WinespringBrother
06-24-2010, 09:30 AM
Did they notice it before or after it made the news...

LOL before it made the news, so maybe it was legit

One Armed Gimp
06-24-2010, 10:21 AM
Had a little under 10 seconds of the building shaking in Cleveland. At first I thought it was just me losing my mind or something. But then other people starting asking about the shaking.

Davian93
06-24-2010, 10:31 AM
Had a little under 10 seconds of the building shaking in Cleveland. At first I thought it was just me losing my mind or something. But then other people starting asking about the shaking.

I had maybe 10-15 people completely freak out at my office and they were all asking me (as the Health/Safety guy) what should we do, what should we do?

These same people didn't realize it was an earthquake until I stated, "Hey, we're having a small earthquake...well, we ARE in a seismic zone afterall...no big deal"

At that point, they started asking if I wanted them to evacuate (Part of my additional duties is being the guy that initiates such evacuations), should they stand in a doorway, should we initiate a tornado drill, etc etc.

Seriously, you could barely feel it...it was very very light. Not at all like the Nisqually quake (6.8 back in 2001) that I was in over in Washington state. Now THAT was freaky.

ShadowbaneX
06-24-2010, 10:44 AM
yup. I was looking up some of the data (http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/dyfi/events/us/2010xwa7/us/index.html) and it was reported by at least one person over 2500 km (1500 miles) away in Texas.

I don't know if that person is some retired geologist with a seismograph sitting there just waiting for stuff to happen, but at least one person felt it and called it in from that far away.