PDA

View Full Version : Petraeus the savior?

Davian93
06-24-2010, 11:05 AM
General Petraeus, as most of you know, was asked to take what amounts to a demotion by taking up command of Afghanistan as he's probably the only man in the U.S. Military that can solve this war. The man wrote the book on counter-insurgency...literally, he is the main contributing author of the Army's current CI manual.

I had the honor to serve under General Petraeus back when he was the ACOS in Bosnia. He was a brand new 2 star at the time and he was and is a great man. He's the kind of leader that troops dream they have...the kind that makes you want to kill for him and always give that little bit extra. I was assigned as an Intel guy in the shop that briefed him every morning and he is the most intelligent man I've ever met. I've never before or after been intimidated by someone's intelligence but the guy is one of those once a generation brilliant people. I would bet that if he was tested, his IQ would be in the 170s on top of his great charisma and natural leadership. Perhaps he's a ta'veren? He is also one of those guys that always leads from the front. He never asked a soldier to make a sacrifice that he didn't make himself. He worked the longest hours, ran the fastest/longest routes for PT, etc etc.

If there is one man that could win in Afghanistan, it's him.

I give him maybe a 1 in 10 shot of pulling it off.

Brita
06-24-2010, 11:10 AM
Your post gave me kind of an odd feeling about Afghanistan- a strange and foreign sensation when I think of this subject. I'm not entirely sure, it's a little hard to tell, but I think it might be...hope?

Sinistrum
06-24-2010, 11:16 AM
God I hope so. If we lose Afghanistan, it will just return to the pre-911 status quo of being a base for our enemies for them to launch attacks. I'm sure given the public's short attention span, if we are forced to pull out, that danger will quickly be forgotten. Until the next time we're "shocked" and "surprised" be a major terrorist attack.

Ivhon
06-24-2010, 11:27 AM
I think that he is probably the best hope we have.

I cannot ever think about the current war in Afghanistan without remembering that our baseless foray in Iraq is THE reason things are the way they are in Afghanistan.

Its just frustrating.

One Armed Gimp
06-24-2010, 11:30 AM
General Petraeus, as most of you know, was asked to take what amounts to a demotion by taking up command of Afghanistan as he's probably the only man in the U.S. Military that can solve this war. The man wrote the book on counter-insurgency...literally, he is the main contributing author of the Army's current CI manual.

Question on the demotion thing. I was telling my wife the same thing, but as I was digging into it, it looked like they are just removing the "middle-man" between CENTCOM and Afghanistan. I haven't found anything really concrete on it though. I have read that he is assuming command, but I have not read anything about him leaving CENTCOM either.

Davian93
06-24-2010, 11:31 AM

I cannot ever think about the current war in Afghanistan without remembering that our baseless foray in Iraq is THE reason things are the way they are in Afghanistan.

Its just frustrating.

THIS...1 million times THIS. We had this war won 7-8 years ago...then we said fvck it and went off on a tangent for 7 years. The Taliban was non-existent in Afghanistan for the first 2 years after our invasion. Then we drastically cut resources and left the job half-finished thanks to Dubya just HAVING to get back at the guy that tried to kill daddy.

Ivhon
06-24-2010, 11:33 AM
THIS...1 million times THIS. We had this war won 7-8 years ago...then we said fvck it and went off on a tangent for 7 years. The Taliban was non-existent in Afghanistan for the first 2 years after our invasion. Then we drastically cut resources and left the job half-finished thanks to Dubya just HAVING to get back at the guy that tried to kill daddy.

I don't even think it was Daddy. I think that there were more potential profits for Haliburton in Iraq

Davian93
06-24-2010, 11:34 AM
Question on the demotion thing. I was telling my wife the same thing, but as I was digging into it, it looked like they are just removing the "middle-man" between CENTCOM and Afghanistan. I haven't found anything really concrete on it though. I have read that he is assuming command, but I have not read anything about him leaving CENTCOM either.

My guess is that they'll eventually appoint someone as CENTCOM chief but basically make Petraeus a separate command with a direct link to the Pentagon/White House. All of the reports have inferred that he wont be in charge of CENTCOM anymore. My guess is that it'll be a situation similar to Ike in the latter stages of WWII where he pretty much ran the show without any oversight from Marshall.

Sei'taer
06-24-2010, 11:36 AM
Just curious, wasn't he the one that asked for the surge in Iraq? I wonder if he'll do the same in Afghanistan and if it'll go the same way it did for McChrystal.

Also, since the left had a burr in their ass for this guy, how's that going to play with the base now? Remember all the Betrayus adds and stuff that were going around a few years ago. Just wondering how they can square that or if they will even attempt to do it.

Davian93
06-24-2010, 11:40 AM
Just curious, wasn't he the one that asked for the surge in Iraq? I wonder if he'll do the same in Afghanistan and if it'll go the same way it did for McChrystal.

Also, since the left had a burr in their ass for this guy, how's that going to play with the base now? Remember all the Betrayus adds and stuff that were going around a few years ago. Just wondering how they can square that or if they will even attempt to do it.

Yes, he was a big proponent of the surge. I doubt he'll ask for the exact same strategy. He was also the guy that trained the Iraqi army and his sector of Iraq was the safest/best run when he was still a division commander in charge of the 101st. He knows how to get things done...he's great at working with the locals.

I dont think a surge would have a similar effect in Afghanistan (Soviets already tried that route)...the only thing that will work is to rebuild the infrastructure, give them employment and eliminate the massive corruption in the gov't (the hardest to do...especially with Karzai in place). Karzai is human scum.

"Shockingly", all the Betrayus stuff was taken down off MoveOn.org's website yesterday...I mean, what a strange coincidence. MoveOrg is a joke.

Ivhon
06-24-2010, 11:41 AM

Not sure that squaring things with the base has ever been a particularly high priority.

Davian93
06-24-2010, 11:50 AM
I don't even think it was Daddy. I think that there were more potential profits for Haliburton in Iraq

Pretty sad that we let a couple corporations drag us into a multi-trillion dollar war, eh? What a joke.

Uno
06-24-2010, 11:57 AM

Its just frustrating.

I don't know that anything the US has done is the reason why Afghanistan is the way it is. In a sense, the US and its allies are merely the latest in a series of supporting actors in an Afghan conflict that's been going on for more than three decades.

Ivhon
06-24-2010, 12:20 PM
I don't know that anything the US has done is the reason why Afghanistan is the way it is. In a sense, the US and its allies are merely the latest in a series of supporting actors in an Afghan conflict that's been going on for more than three decades.

Very true. I should have been specific in saying that the way the US war in Afghanistan. The Afghan people have had it rough for much longer than that.

Ishara
06-24-2010, 12:21 PM

Its just frustrating.

I was going to say that the first bit was disingenuous, but Uno beat me to it. That's not the reason Afghanistan is the way it is. Or, at least not the whole reason. We can thank the expansion of the Cold War into the Global Theatre for most of that.

Ivhon
06-24-2010, 12:28 PM
I was going to say that the first bit was disingenuous, but Uno beat me to it. That's not the reason Afghanistan is the way it is. Or, at least not the whole reason. We can thank the expansion of the Cold War into the Global Theatre for most of that.

Not disingenuous...imprecise. :D

@ Dav - Karzai started off doing pretty well, if I remember. Until we cut and run and left him to dry. He did what he had to do to stay alive (because out of power = dead for him, I think). Definitely a scumbag now, but a scumbag at least partially of our own making. As is so often the case *cough* Saddam Hussain *cough cough* Bin Laden *cough* Sorry. Had a tickle in my throat.

Sei'taer
06-24-2010, 03:32 PM
"Shockingly", all the Betrayus stuff was taken down off MoveOn.org's website yesterday...I mean, what a strange coincidence. MoveOrg is a joke.

No! Really? I love to go to moveon and watch vids. Good thing we still got youtube. There's lots of stuff on there.

Uno
06-24-2010, 03:44 PM
I dont think a surge would have a similar effect in Afghanistan (Soviets already tried that route)...the only thing that will work is to rebuild the infrastructure, give them employment and eliminate the massive corruption in the gov't (the hardest to do...especially with Karzai in place). Karzai is human scum.

If I remember correctly, the assembly of traditional leaders called after the US invasion and the Northern Alliance conquest of Kabul wanted to reinstall the exiled king, but the US government wouldn't have that--fancy that, American monarchophobia--and instead pressed to have Karzai installed. That man's now in love with his position as mayor of Kabul and won't budge.

Davian93
06-25-2010, 06:47 AM
If I remember correctly, the assembly of traditional leaders called after the US invasion and the Northern Alliance conquest of Kabul wanted to reinstall the exiled king, but the US government wouldn't have that--fancy that, American monarchophobia--and instead pressed to have Karzai installed. That man's now in love with his position as mayor of Kabul and won't budge.

Probably should have gone the Constitutional Monarchy route, eh?

Powerslave73
06-30-2010, 08:02 PM

Actually, you do not recall correctly. Read "The Hunt for Bin Laden: Task Force Dagger." by Robin Moore. It is the true story of U.S. Special Operators in the Afghan war. The Green Berets who were actually there doing the dirty work contributed to the book.
Fewer than 100 American Special Ops did in 3 months what the Soviets couldn't do in 10 years- topple the Taliban and kick Al Quaida's sorry arses.

Uno
06-30-2010, 08:38 PM
Actually, you do not recall correctly. Read "The Hunt for Bin Laden: Task Force Dagger." by Robin Moore. It is the true story of U.S. Special Operators in the Afghan war. The Green Berets who were actually there doing the dirty work contributed to the book.
Fewer than 100 American Special Ops did in 3 months what the Soviets couldn't do in 10 years- topple the Taliban and kick Al Quaida's sorry arses.

And these Green Berets were in charge of US policy towards the Loya Jirga? Because that sounds sort of strange to me. And if not, what on earth are you bringing this up for? The Taliban at any rate postdates the Soviet withdrawal from the country in 1989, and the movement didn't come to power in Afghanistan until the mid-90s. I remain puzzled by your comments to my post.

Matoyak
06-30-2010, 09:48 PM
And these Green Berets were in charge of US policy towards the Loya Jirga? Because that sounds sort of strange to me. And if not, what on earth are you bringing this up for? The Taliban at any rate postdates the Soviet withdrawal from the country in 1989, and the movement didn't come to power in Afghanistan until the mid-90s. I remained puzzled by your comments to my post.Maybe it was an accidental misquote? :confused:

Terez
06-30-2010, 11:18 PM
Nope, not a misquote. But that's the impostor Powerslave, in case you guys weren't aware.