PDA

View Full Version : I wanna build one of these!

Sei'taer
06-25-2010, 08:37 AM
This is what we need in the little town where I work...mostly because I want to do the inspection on it...lol (http://www.woehr.de/en/projekte/budapest_m730/index.htm)

Frenzy
06-25-2010, 09:27 AM
now THAT is awesome with awesome sauce. multi-story parking garages are such an ugly pain in the ass.

Davian93
06-25-2010, 09:48 AM
Looks wicked expensive. Cool though. I could definitely see the applications in older cities.

One of the best features of Boston is the massive parking garage under the Green there.

DahLliA
06-25-2010, 10:29 AM
now that's the future

Hopper
06-25-2010, 10:46 AM
Looks wicked expensive. Cool though. I could definitely see the applications in older cities.

One of the best features of Boston is the massive parking garage under the Green there.

THE best feature of Boston is the Red Sox.

Crispin's Crispian
06-25-2010, 11:37 AM
I really like the idea. I think it might be too slow for a busy parking area, though. Imagine something like that at a mall or downtown. I guess there wouldn't be any jams, though, because it's so regulated people would just be waiting in line.

Yellowbeard
06-25-2010, 12:21 PM
what happens if you lose your chip? say someone's purse gets stolen. you're out of luck for getting your car back in any sort of timely manner.

and i would think the claustrophobic demographic would have a fit trying to park!

Ishara
06-25-2010, 12:29 PM
That is *really* freaking cool. Awesome with awesome sauce indeed!!

reTaardad
06-25-2010, 12:42 PM
what happens if you lose your chip? say someone's purse gets stolen. you're out of luck for getting your car back in any sort of timely manner.

If someone's purse is stolen, then they won't have their keys anyways. And I'm sure they have ways around lost chips.

Davian93
06-25-2010, 12:46 PM

and i would think the claustrophobic demographic would have a fit trying to park!

It would never work in the U.S. simply because the average American wouldn't be able to fit their Ford F-350 Super Duper Extended Cab dually wheeled truck in it...or their Tank-like SUV with optional reactive armor plates.

Sei'taer
06-25-2010, 03:44 PM

They talk about it in the video. that's what the recognition cameras are for. If you know your plate number it'll pull that car for you. I guess all you have to do then is prove you own it which is fairly easy.

It would never work in the U.S. simply because the average American wouldn't be able to fit their Ford F-350 Super Duper Extended Cab dually wheeled truck in it...or their Tank-like SUV with optional reactive armor plates.

Dude, seriously? It's like building a house for Shaq or for the little people. Things can be adjusted. That pallet in the vid looks like it would hold an SUV and it's fairly easy to make it a little longer. If you'd like, we can designate a few lanes only for big vehicles. Or we can designate it a no Mini zone, just for you.

Birgitte
06-25-2010, 04:05 PM
That is *really* freaking cool. Awesome with awesome sauce indeed!!

This.

Davian93
06-25-2010, 04:32 PM
They talk about it in the video. that's what the recognition cameras are for. If you know your plate number it'll pull that car for you. I guess all you have to do then is prove you own it which is fairly easy.

Dude, seriously? It's like building a house for Shaq or for the little people. Things can be adjusted. That pallet in the vid looks like it would hold an SUV and it's fairly easy to make it a little longer. If you'd like, we can designate a few lanes only for big vehicles. Or we can designate it a no Mini zone, just for you.

LOL...you could fit my car on there twice over. Good point on the sizing. I'd love to see the cost of such a system over a traditional garage. Gotta be ridiculous...especially since its all underground in a historic area with all sorts of permitting issues most likely.

tworiverswoman
06-25-2010, 04:39 PM
About 10 years ago, the company I work for was selling and installing double-decker parking places. Can't remember the brand name. A car would drive onto a platform parking space, then when the driver left, the car would be elevated, leaving another space underneath. We sold several dozen of the things, then discovered they are a nightmare of tiny, fiddly parts that don't actually last very long... Plus they need to be RIGIDLY leveled, or Bad Things Happen.

Nevertheless, it is a very cool idea, and this video shows a system that is hopefully MUCH better designed than the things we sold. I like it.

Sarevok
06-25-2010, 04:44 PM
LOL...you could fit my car on there twice over. Good point on the sizing. I'd love to see the cost of such a system over a traditional garage. Gotta be ridiculous...especially since its all underground in a historic area with all sorts of permitting issues most likely.

Since it would probably be the city ordering the construction, I doubt the permits themselves will be a big issue. Making sure centuries old buildings don't come tumbling down might be a bit trickier.
I actually think the construction cost would pale against the maintainance. Each section of the internal transport system would have to be kept running smoothly, otherwise the whole system might jam. In a trational garage, you only need to have one of those street-sweeper cars ride through once in a while.

But It would probably beat traditional garages (Dutch ones at least) in moving space. Moving a Citroen C4 through one of those is... hard. :eek:

Davian93
06-25-2010, 05:08 PM
Since it would probably be the city ordering the construction, I doubt the permits themselves will be a big issue. Making sure centuries old buildings don't come tumbling down might be a bit trickier.
I actually think the construction cost would pale against the maintainance. Each section of the internal transport system would have to be kept running smoothly, otherwise the whole system might jam. In a trational garage, you only need to have one of those street-sweeper cars ride through once in a while.

But It would probably beat traditional garages (Dutch ones at least) in moving space. Moving a Citroen C4 through one of those is... hard. :eek:

Guess I'm used to Vermont...all it takes is 1 citizen to file a lawsuit and it will tie things up for years. Whether its a "environmental concern" or a "historic site" etc etc. I could list dozens of projects that have been derailed for various reasons where the city wanted it, a solid majority of the voters wanted it and it never happened.

Orc
06-25-2010, 10:53 PM
About 10 years ago, the company I work for was selling and installing double-decker parking places. Can't remember the brand name. A car would drive onto a platform parking space, then when the driver left, the car would be elevated, leaving another space underneath. We sold several dozen of the things, then discovered they are a nightmare of tiny, fiddly parts that don't actually last very long... Plus they need to be RIGIDLY leveled, or Bad Things Happen.

Wait... so what happens if your car is in the air with someone else parked underneath it and you want to leave?

tworiverswoman
06-26-2010, 12:57 AM
As far as I recall - they weren't intended for public parking but rather for a business's employee parking. Like I said, it's been a long time and even when we first got them I remember thinking that it wasn't very well designed.