PDA

View Full Version : Vacation Time

jason wolfbrother
06-27-2010, 12:31 AM
Well I was lucky enough to get a full month off of work with pay for my vacation. I will be in New York City between the 30th of June and the 19th of July. Staying 3 weeks with my brother on Long Island and visiting my older brother and his children during that time. Any recommendations on things to do? I'm going to a Yankees game on the 30th, plan on seeing the Statue of Liberty, Times Square, and the Empire State Building. Anything else that I absolutely must do in NY?

Terez
06-27-2010, 03:24 AM
See the Chrysler Building. It's prettier than Empire State, if slightly shorter. Drive over Washington Bridge and through Lincoln Tunnel. Don't do it during rush hour traffic but tell everyone you did. Or time it to where you're going the opposite direction as everyone else. When a dude offers to wash your windshield, take a picture of him and then tell him to fuck off.

Hopper
06-27-2010, 11:21 AM
Well I was lucky enough to get a full month off of work with pay for my vacation. I will be in New York City between the 30th of June and the 19th of July. Staying 3 weeks with my brother on Long Island and visiting my older brother and his children during that time. Any recommendations on things to do? I'm going to a Yankees game on the 30th, plan on seeing the Statue of Liberty, Times Square, and the Empire State Building. Anything else that I absolutely must do in NY?

I would think a meet up with any Theorylanders living in New England (Connecticut and Vermot come to mind) is reasonable.

Isabel
06-27-2010, 12:47 PM
Yeah go meet up with WSB, Zae and all the others :)

Ishara
06-27-2010, 06:25 PM
Times Square is great - for 10 minutes. The street food in and around there was EPIC though. A street shawarma or gyro is totally worth the money.

Central Park is beautiful and a welcome green, peaceful place to rest during every day you're in the city. Plus, the zxoo is AWESOME, and would be great with little kids.

The Highline Park (starts at 10th Ave) was just beautiful.

Southstreet Sea Port was easily my favourite place in the city.

Chelsea Market was super cool.

Washington Square Park and Union Square Park (on Saturdays) are full of energy and so much fun. Also, you can see the townhouse from I am Legend from Washington Square Park, if you care.

Top of the Rock (aka Rockafeller Centre) is as good a view as the Empire State Building.

You would easily get a kick out of Forbidden Planet - an amazing comic book store up the street from Union Square.

I may be biased because it will always be the city we got engaged, in, but damn I love that city. :)

Sei'taer
06-27-2010, 07:42 PM
Times Square is great - for 10 minutes. The street food in and around there was EPIC though. A street shawarma or gyro is totally worth the money.

Central Park is beautiful and a welcome green, peaceful place to rest during every day you're in the city. Plus, the zxoo is AWESOME, and would be great with little kids.

The Highline Park (starts at 10th Ave) was just beautiful.

Southstreet Sea Port was easily my favourite place in the city.

Chelsea Market was super cool.

Washington Square Park and Union Square Park (on Saturdays) are full of energy and so much fun. Also, you can see the townhouse from I am Legend from Washington Square Park, if you care.

Top of the Rock (aka Rockafeller Centre) is as good a view as the Empire State Building.

You would easily get a kick out of Forbidden Planet - an amazing comic book store up the street from Union Square.

I may be biased because it will always be the city we got engaged, in, but damn I love that city. :)

There's also the bookstore that boasts 16 blocks of books. Blanking on the name right now...The Strand maybe? Somebody help me out.

Basel Gill
06-27-2010, 09:00 PM
Maybe I'm just a dork, but my first stops would be one of those famous deli's with the pastrami/corned beef, etc. sandwiches and a famous pizza joint. Then seaports and central park, etc. Liberty and Empire State Bldg. would likely be bottom of the list, but of course I've never been there either.

Ishara
06-27-2010, 10:03 PM
There's also the bookstore that boasts 16 blocks of books. Blanking on the name right now...The Strand maybe? Somebody help me out.

Yup, the Strand. M'eh. If I'm in NYC, it's not to read. ;)

Also, if Jason wants food rec's I am all over it - just ask buddy! We did go there just to eat (I swear, the rest was gravy!).

jason wolfbrother
06-28-2010, 08:45 AM
Lol I'm pretty sure my brother has the food covered ;). He lives on Long Island and has for the past 5 years. But I'll definitely look up that comic shop and the Strand. :)

send me a message anyone in the area looking to meet up. I'll check my email and here periodically and see what is going on. Basically I'm living on my brother's time ;) He is the one that has to put up with me for 3 weeks :cool: ;) ;)

WinespringBrother
06-28-2010, 11:24 AM
I'll send ya a pm on FB... I live out in Suffolk, Long Island. Also I'm off a few days this week for a long weekend.

Mort
06-28-2010, 06:24 PM
I leave tomorrow on the 29th, otherwise we could have met up :)

Havnt really had time to do all the stuff I wanted to do here. But I saw Central Park, Empire State, Times Square etc. Did not see Statue of Liberty, only at a far distance.

World Trade Center wasnt much to see either, huge construction site, big shocker.

Did a huge mistake though, I walked 60+ blocks down west side of central park, ate a nice burger at HB Burger near times square, then I went back up on the east side of central park, back to 105th street where I am living. My feet were KILLING ME the next day, and a little today. I didnt do much sightseeing the next day that wasnt at most a few blocks from the nearest subway :D

Ishara
06-28-2010, 10:04 PM
Between the crazy easy (and CHEAP) subway system and the cheap taxis, there's just no reason to walk that far! LOL

Davian93
06-29-2010, 07:18 AM
Between the crazy easy (and CHEAP) subway system and the cheap taxis, there's just no reason to walk that far! LOL

Yeah, taxi would have been smart there. Though its just so tough to find them in NYC...:rolleyes:

Mort
06-29-2010, 07:47 AM
Yeah, taxi would have been smart there. Though its just so tough to find them in NYC...:rolleyes:

Thats just it, I didnt want to take either because I wanted to check out stuff on foot. I should just have walked up the same way I came though, and not take the other route around Central park ;) Or just taken a cab back.

Sei'taer
06-29-2010, 08:02 AM
Yup, the Strand. M'eh. If I'm in NYC, it's not to read. ;)

LOL...I'm not reading, I'm buying. I can read when I get home.

Everywhere I go on a vacation I check out the cool indie bookstores. We even went to a huge book sale in Des Moines, IA. I can't think of a place I have gone with Pops and SoE that we didn't check out a bookstore.

We did go see My favorite Kung Fu movie (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyWhVUCXY1A) ever while we were in NYC.

WinespringBrother
06-29-2010, 09:19 AM
Strand Bookstore and Forbidden Planet are on the same block near Union Square (Strand sells used books, and claims to have 18 miles of books, but their fantasy/scifi section is sparse unfortunately).

I recently found out there is a Chick Fil-A by Union Square as well LOL (the only one in NYC)

I would recommend seeing the United Nations (east side) and the Museum of Natural History (which is next to Central Park)

And just to clarify Terez's post, in case it is geographically confusing, the GW Bridge and Lincoln Tunnel connect NYC and NJ, not NYC and LI.

Zaela Sedai
06-29-2010, 05:59 PM
You really dont *want* to go over the GW.... ~shudder~ If you must then go around 2AM and go on the upper level...WSB - how far are you from either ferry to CT?

Ishara
06-29-2010, 06:52 PM
Ooooh. I echo the Museum of natural History. If you only do one museum in NYC, do that one. It's EPIC.

WinespringBrother
06-30-2010, 08:03 AM
You really dont *want* to go over the GW.... ~shudder~ If you must then go around 2AM and go on the upper level...WSB - how far are you from either ferry to CT?

I live about 45 minutes from the Port Jeff ferry. Far enough that I took the long way when I visited you 2 years ago LOL

Ivhon
06-30-2010, 09:10 AM
Next trip to NYC I make I plan to spend on an extended gallery crawl.

Hellish walking story:

So Im doing an internship at a small but powerful investment bank (has its fingers in every entertainment industry deal). Small paychecks come every other Monday and it is now the weekend before the paycheck and I have $5.37, 1 subway token, two tickets to Shakespeare in the Park (Merry Wives of Windsor) and a date on Sunday night.

Now, I'm subletting a clos...err..apartment on W. 114th and I'm working at 55th and 5th...so I kinda need that Subway token to get to work, if for no other reason than to get another check. I also need the %5.37 to get a couple more tokens so that Im not walking my date home 30-ott blocks through Central Park at night.

Did I mention that the apartment has no AC, is on the 1st floor directly above the dryers and its mid-July?

Given that a sweat-tent would be a welcome relief from the oppressive heat of that apartment, I decided to spend the weekend down in the Village with some friends who had AC (I cooked for my cool). Unfortunately, it wasn't until I was already down there when I did all the math with the $5.37, 1 subway token and walking the date through the Park at night.

"No problem," I thought to myself on Sunday morning. "Ill just take the opportunity to get some exercise and go for a run back home." 110 blocks. In 97 degree heat. On black asphalt. With no water. Did I mention that I am a swimmer and absolutely useless on land?

So I manage to actually run all the way to Penn Station (34th St....only 80 blocks to go!) before I figure that the whole no water thing is really starting to be a problem and that maybe I should back off the physical exertion. Of course, Im trading physical exertion for increased exposure to the heat and by the time I get to Central Park I realize that I stopped sweating a bit ago. So I trade the shade and getting off the hot road for more walk time as I twist through the Park.

By the time I made it home to the 110 degree apartment, I had just enough time to pour and drink a big glass of water before I literally collapsed/passed out for like 10 minutes.

I made the date, but it went horribly because I had a hard time talking sensibly due to the heat stroke and the swollen tongue.

jason wolfbrother
06-30-2010, 09:18 AM
Well I made it to NY, just chilling at my brother's house. probably won't check in regularly but I'll let you know how it goes, maybe I'll even post pictures once I get back home ;)

As for walking...yeah no thx Ivhon just scared me off that for the whole vacation ;) I'll walk around in Central Park and Times Square, (around in, not around) and definitely be playing the tourist for the next three weeks but I plan on being conscious for most of it ;)

Ishara
07-02-2010, 07:55 PM
Good times - have so much fun! And really, Times Square - 30 minutes, tops. Really, it's posters and theatres. Plus a butt ton of people. Central Park is where it's at!