PDA

View Full Version : San Diego

irerancincpkc
06-28-2010, 10:05 AM
So I'm 90 percent certain for my vacation in August I will be traveling to San Diego, anyone have any tips on where to go? I know about the beaches. Thats about it. :D

Davian93
06-28-2010, 11:08 AM
So I'm 90 percent certain for my vacation in August I will be traveling to San Diego, anyone have any tips on where to go? I know about the beaches. Thats about it. :D

Sea World?

No idea, never been. Heard its beautiful.

Yellowbeard
06-28-2010, 04:03 PM
i've heard the san diego zoo is something extra special and puts all other zoos in the country to shame. if you like that sort of thing, it's an idea.

it's also a big navy town, i believe. maybe they have some cool museum ships to see? i dunno for certain. in norfolk, va where i'm from originally they have a battleship moored right downtown you can tour, and norfolk pretty much lives and dies by the navy (last i knew all the east coast based carriers were stationed in norfolk, but they threaten to move one or two all the time so who knows).

san diego is on the coast. there's got to be beach. which means there's got to be fish. which means there's got to be fishing. and offshore fishing at that. you could see about charters/headboats that operate out of san diego. offshore fishing is one of my absolute favorite things on earth to do. if you've never tried it, give it a whirl. nothing like cranking in a fish that's 5 feet long after fighting it for an hour!

and perhaps whale watching tours? don't blue and humpback whales migrate right off the coast there?

irerancincpkc
06-28-2010, 04:37 PM
Museum ships sound interesting.

Ha, I am the world's worst fisherman, one, I feel bad about it, and two, just can't seem to reel the damn things in. Last time I went, everyone with me caught tons of fish and all I caught were two turtles...

Matoyak
06-28-2010, 11:39 PM
Last time I went, everyone with me caught tons of fish and all I caught were two turtles...In the past two years I have been fishing a good dozen times...people with me catch one or two or more consistently...I have caught a jellyfish and a seagull that thought my spoon lure looked tasty. Zero bites. I think I might have the world's worst luck with fish.

pops taer
06-28-2010, 11:49 PM
Old Town San Diego is great to see. The food there is marvelous. Can't give names of restaurants but can remember the good food.

Good Luck.

jason wolfbrother
06-29-2010, 02:41 AM
Since you are already planning on visiting the beach my only suggestion is sunglasses. That way it is easier to stare without getting caught ;)

When my older brother lived in San Diego and I visited him for a week I remember getting whiplash from all the women in bikinis, on rollerskates, on the boardwalk ~smiles in remembrance~ huh...what...oh sorry I got lost in a daydream again ;) :cool: ummm beach, yeah, sunglasses, definitely sunglasses. :cool:

irerancincpkc
06-29-2010, 02:45 AM
Since you are already planning on visiting the beach my only suggestion is sunglasses. That way it is easier to stare without getting caught ;)

When my older brother lived in San Diego and I visited him for a week I remember getting whiplash from all the women in bikinis, on rollerskates, on the boardwalk ~smiles in remembrance~ huh...what...oh sorry I got lost in a daydream again ;) :cool: ummm beach, yeah, sunglasses, definitely sunglasses. :cool:

Hmmm... since I wear glasses I'll have to get some attachable ones or something... :D

Davian93
06-29-2010, 07:17 AM
I 2nd the off-shore fishing charters...nothing quite as fun as that.

Take anti-nausea stuff with you though...especially if you're liable to sea-sickness.

Sei'taer
06-29-2010, 07:54 AM
I 2nd the off-shore fishing charters...nothing quite as fun as that.

Take anti-nausea stuff with you though...especially if you're liable to sea-sickness.

I got the worst sunburn of my life deep sea fishing. My nose was crispy like bacon, but I had a blast.

I'll see if I can get SoE to come around sometime in the next couple of days. He used to live not far from there so he probably has some pretty good ideas of things to do...

Yellowbeard
06-29-2010, 10:16 AM
yeah, i always take dramamine the night before i go offshore, and then another when i get up the morning of the trip. just the pill form, can get them from any grocery store drug section.

other offshore fishing gear to have:
-cooler filled w/ ice and beer (if allowed to take on boat)
-snacks/food (if allowed to take on boat)
-enough cash to tip the mates that work on the boat well. tipping prior to fishing will motivate them to help you out more too. better bait/tackle, help w/ techniques for specific target fish species you're trying to catch, help with recognizing when you have a fish on, etc. for example, you catch mahi w/ a spinning rod and top casting (fishing the surface waters). you catch grouper bottom fishing. and both feel very different when they hit the line at first.
-take a clean towel. it won't be clean by the end of the day. use to wipe bait grime and what not off your hands.
-hand sanitizer.
-sunblock
-sunglasses
-a widebrimmed hat
-and if you want to record any great successes, a camera.

and the biggest thing you need to take - PATIENCE. they call it fishing and not catching for a reason.

after a quick google search - there's a big museum ship. USS Midway. i toured the Yorktown in Charleston once. it's a huge retired carrier. Midway is bigger. probably a really cool thing to go see.

One Armed Gimp
06-29-2010, 03:44 PM
http://www.stonebrew.com/ and http://www.stoneworldbistro.com/

The World Bistro & Gardens features brews other than Stone's wonderful selections. It's supposed to be a pretty sweet place to go from what I hear, that's mostly from beer geeks so the opinions could be a bit biased.

irerancincpkc
06-29-2010, 04:24 PM

Oh yea. I passed out in an elevator today, so dramamine is a must. :D

-enough cash to tip the mates that work on the boat well. tipping prior to fishing will motivate them to help you out more too. better bait/tackle, help w/ techniques for specific target fish species you're trying to catch, help with recognizing when you have a fish on, etc. for example, you catch mahi w/ a spinning rod and top casting (fishing the surface waters). you catch grouper bottom fishing. and both feel very different when they hit the line at first.

Hehe, yeah, I am going to need all the help I can get... and USS Midway, gotcha.

http://www.stonebrew.com/ and http://www.stoneworldbistro.com/

The World Bistro & Gardens features brews other than Stone's wonderful selections. It's supposed to be a pretty sweet place to go from what I hear, that's mostly from beer geeks so the opinions could be a bit biased.
Damn. Why couldn't I be one year older... :D

Marie Curie 7
06-30-2010, 11:11 PM
I'm surprised this hasn't been mentioned...I'm pretty sure you like baseball, and Petco Park is right in downtown San Diego. I didn't get a chance to go to a game because I was there before the season started (attending a conference in March a couple of years ago), but it's a beautiful park and the Padres are actually good this year. It would be definitely worth checking out a game if the Padres are in town when you're there.

irerancincpkc
07-01-2010, 09:47 AM
I'm surprised this hasn't been mentioned...I'm pretty sure you like baseball, and Petco Park is right in downtown San Diego. I didn't get a chance to go to a game because I was there before the season started (attending a conference in March a couple of years ago), but it's a beautiful park and the Padres are actually good this year. It would be definitely worth checking out a game if the Padres are in town when you're there.

Hehe, thanks. :D I already have tickets to three games. :D My Pirates are there! Pretty sure they will get crushed, but oh well. We'll see how the Petco Park matches up to PNC Park in Pittsburgh, which is the nicest ball park I've ever been too.