PDA

View Full Version : U.S. catches a bunch of Rusky spies

Yellowbeard
06-29-2010, 03:15 PM
Apparently a Russian spy ring has been operating in the U.S. since the 1990's, and they finally got caught. And the Russians are blaming the U.S. for being bad for catching them and announcing it!!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100629/ap_on_re_us/us_doj_russia_arrests

cool stuff. the bit about the russian hiding a package under a partially buried bottle on a remote roadside for two years before an operative went and picked it up...that had to have been one heck of a patient stake out to catch that one!

from what the article says, it looks like they were really after inside info. to help w/ negotiations and what not...not like they were trying to ascertain troop locations and pick the best place to hit to start the invasion.

i saw these guys that got caught end up being quietly released back to mother russia in return for some favor or something.

Davian93
06-29-2010, 04:25 PM
They didn't just get caught...they've been compromised for years and the FBI's been monitoring them. They finally got around to booting them now as they probably figured they had gotten enough counter-intel out of them.

The mission of CI work is not to get rid of all the spies, its to identify all the spies and control them. Its better to know who's spying on you than to keep catching them and kicking them right out.

Sei'taer
06-29-2010, 04:28 PM
They say the Redhead was a hottie.

Terez
06-29-2010, 04:38 PM
The mission of CI work is not to get rid of all the spies, its to identify all the spies and control them. Its better to know who's spying on you than to keep catching them and kicking them right out.
So says Renee Harfor.

Sei'taer
06-29-2010, 04:42 PM
So says Renee Harfor.

Reene...I know it was probably a fumble finger, too fast from one key to the other mistake but it took me a second to realize who you were talking about so I'm just pointing it out to help other people who aren't as damn skippity smart as I am.

~looks pointedly at Ivhon~ (she's in the Wheel of Time, Douchebag).

Yellowbeard
06-29-2010, 05:03 PM
They didn't just get caught...they've been compromised for years and the FBI's been monitoring them. They finally got around to booting them now as they probably figured they had gotten enough counter-intel out of them.

well, yeah. i guess i meant "caught" not quite as literally as the U.S. just found out about it. more the U.S. just let the cat out of the bag.

Sei'taer
06-29-2010, 05:08 PM
well, yeah. i guess i meant "caught" not quite as literally as the U.S. just found out about it. more the U.S. just let the cat out of the bag.

I've looked at several pictures and she is a hottie. Nice last name too.

Powerslave73
06-30-2010, 08:40 PM
I think one must wonder:
If we've been monitoring them for years, gaining valuable counter-intel and feeding the commies useless bits of rubbish--- why tip our hand now? Why let them know that what they surely thought was a successful cell, has not only been caught, but was being monitored for years?
Now they will certainly be combing thru every bit of intel that cell had "uncovered." They now have the key to determine what was pap and what was not. Not only that, but they now know what intel of theirs has been compromised.
If there had been some huge Russian undertaking that was foiled, this very public uncovering would make sense. But there was no *BANG*. Just a fizzle.
Every bit of this "success" is suspect.

yks 6nnetu hing
07-01-2010, 03:03 AM
I think one must wonder:
If we've been monitoring them for years, gaining valuable counter-intel and feeding the commies useless bits of rubbish--- why tip our hand now? Why let them know that what they surely thought was a successful cell, has not only been caught, but was being monitored for years?
Now they will certainly be combing thru every bit of intel that cell had "uncovered." They now have the key to determine what was pap and what was not. Not only that, but they now know what intel of theirs has been compromised.
If there had been some huge Russian undertaking that was foiled, this very public uncovering would make sense. But there was no *BANG*. Just a fizzle.

Because Obama has been trying to become buddy-buddy with Putvedev, there was some big fuzzy cuddly meeting last week, I think. It's just to remind the politicians as well as the general public that all that PR is not necessarily the whole truth. *shrug* Or someone in CIA was afraid he'd lose his job if Russia suddenly became a friend.

nameless
07-01-2010, 03:43 AM
I think one must wonder:

Well the redhead was in the middle of turning over a fake passport to the police when she was arrested. Of course the feds are going to jump on the case if doing nothing means local LEOs are gonna beat them to the bust.

DahLliA
07-01-2010, 06:32 AM
I've looked at several pictures and she is a hottie. Nice last name too.

I agree. assuming the first pic on the article is of her. couldn't find any more though

Ivhon
07-01-2010, 09:47 AM
Reene...I know it was probably a fumble finger, too fast from one key to the other mistake but it took me a second to realize who you were talking about so I'm just pointing it out to help other people who aren't as damn skippity smart as I am.

~looks pointedly at Ivhon~ (she's in the Wheel of Time, Douchebag).

Wheel of What?

Sei'taer
07-01-2010, 09:52 AM
Wheel of What?

That book that guy that died was writing and then that other guy that took over for him that is supposed to finish it. Remember?

Ivhon
07-01-2010, 10:21 AM
That book that guy that died was writing and then that other guy that took over for him that is supposed to finish it. Remember?

I have no idea what you are talking about. You need help.

Davian93
07-01-2010, 10:55 AM
I agree. assuming the first pic on the article is of her. couldn't find any more though

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/galleries/anna_chapman_one_of_the_alleged_russian_spies_arre sted_by_the_fbi/anna_chapman_one_of_the_alleged_russian_spies_arre sted_by_the_fbi.html

Looks like a spy to me...a naughty naughty spy.

Sinistrum
07-01-2010, 11:52 AM
Anna Chapman can spy on me any time.

Ivhon
07-01-2010, 11:57 AM
Me can spy on Anna Chapman any time.

Fixed.

DahLliA
07-01-2010, 12:56 PM
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/galleries/anna_chapman_one_of_the_alleged_russian_spies_arre sted_by_the_fbi/anna_chapman_one_of_the_alleged_russian_spies_arre sted_by_the_fbi.html

mmm mmm mmm:D

Sei'taer
07-01-2010, 04:34 PM

naughty, naughty girl spy!

The Russian smokes probably gave her away.

irerancincpkc
07-02-2010, 11:52 AM
Anna Chapman can spy on me any time.

She kind of resembles Jewel Staite...

DahLliA
07-02-2010, 05:06 PM
still. as far as hot spies go. the winner is clearly:
http://gallery.strahotski.com/galleries/chuck-screen-captures/season2/ep2.07/strahovski-ep207-035.JPG

Davian93
07-02-2010, 05:47 PM
still. as far as hot spies go. the winner is clearly:

I find your argument quite compelling. I must study this thoroughly and get back to you.

DahLliA
07-02-2010, 06:08 PM
I find your argument quite compelling. I must study this thoroughly and get back to you.

best place for research: http://www.strahotski.com/

irerancincpkc
07-03-2010, 08:51 PM
Chuck is the best show on TV. :D So entertaining...

And not only is Yvonne Strahovski stunning, but she's also an excellent actress... ;)