PDA

View Full Version : Mortal Kombat (Game and Movie) Reboot

Matoyak
06-30-2010, 10:43 PM
This post is split into two separate parts, the Game Series, and the Movies. The movies part is what most of y'all will probably care about.

Mortal Kombat game series reboot. (http://e3.gamespot.com/video/6266626/) (WARNING: Blood and gore abound. Not for the squeamish [and probably not something to watch at work])

Not certain how many of y'all game, or out of those how many game outside of Guild Wars, or out of THOSE how many play fighting games, so I'm probably/possibly the only person who gives a damn about this series here, but I wanted to share anyways.

Ed Boon, series creator, is back in the helm for this one and the franchise is being taken back to its roots for 2D fighting once again. Similar to what Street Fighter 4 did, only Mortal Kombat is much more...gory. Taking it back to the roots of the franchise, MK Revamped is basically an MK fan's dream, and it is looking like almost a superexpanded remake of MK2 (the best in the series).

All I can say is that I'm stoked, and can't wait to get my hands on it. Was the only fighting franchise I ever liked as a kid, and I have a nostalgia for it like many people do for Street Fighter 2.

Mortal Kombat Movie Series Reboot (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_MqZn7E-mk). (once again, probably not for the squeamish, though not as bad as the game reel)
This is a proof-of-concept short produced by the director of the new movie to see Warner Bros' reactions, etc etc. Got leaked, and the internet went wild, as it looks like it is just about the best thing possible for a movie adaptation. It seems to be done in a pseudo-realistic style like if Christopher Nolan's Batman movies were to be combined with the Saw movies style, and given a slightly campy edge.
As a fan of the MK franchise, I think this is pretty much the only way to do a MK movie and do it well. Really hoping WB approves of this concept, and that the end result is as badass.

DahLliA
07-01-2010, 05:43 AM
Game: don't care. never liked MK. just as with SF it's way too damn hard. Tekken and DoA ftw :p

Movie: absolutely hate it based on the preview thing. reptile is just a (very) sick dude?

wait what? reptile is a fucking lizard. not some freak of nature.

Scorpion as the protagonist? where's my man Liu Kang?

where's the magic? where's dry-witted Raiden?

and the chick playing Sonya isn't hot enough(thought it's hard to beat Bridgette Wilson in MK1).

all in all. I'll probably watch it. but if they keep up the "realistic" theme I'll hate it

dominominic
07-01-2010, 08:17 AM
I lost interest after MK3 but some of the fatalities from the MK v DC games I saw online reminded me how bone-shakingly satisfying the series can be.

Ivhon
07-01-2010, 08:54 AM
Im pretty jazzed about both. Movie will be great for insomnia night once it is out on dvd

dominominic
07-01-2010, 11:43 AM
The first MK movie was the first movie I ever snuck into.

Also the last, I think.

dominominic
07-01-2010, 11:44 AM
Snuck?

Snook?

Matoyak
07-01-2010, 11:51 AM
Game: don't care. never liked MK. just as with SF it's way too damn hard. Tekken and DoA ftw :pHehe, pansy :p

Movie: absolutely hate it based on the preview thing. reptile is just a (very) sick dude?

wait what? reptile is a fucking lizard. not some freak of nature.

Scorpion as the protagonist? where's my man Liu Kang?

where's the magic? where's dry-witted Raiden?

and the chick playing Sonya isn't hot enough(thought it's hard to beat Bridgette Wilson in MK1).

all in all. I'll probably watch it. but if they keep up the "realistic" theme I'll hate it
Well, none of those actors are likely to play the part, and the chick outright said that they all did it basically as a favor to the director.
Secondly, that thing was made on a VERY limited budget, and they weren't going to, and couldn't, get all the people you're asking for. It will no doubt change dramatically from that proof-of-concept video.
Thirdly: If you've never liked MK, then I'm curious as to what you're basing their personalities on...and why you care about certain people missing from it?
Fourthly: I think that this pseudo-realistic approach is the only way to end up with an actual good movie. So far I haven't seen any fan of the games actually complain about it without admitting that if you try to add in all the magic and goofyness of the game, you get the shit you got with the other two movies. (they were HORRIBLE) This is one of the VERY few cases where sticking closely to the source material will end up simply really really bad.
EDIT: Oh, and if you noticed, even the game has taken Reptile back to a more humanoid look, so... Yeah, these are both reboots of pretty intense levels.
I lost interest after MK3 but some of the fatalities from the MK v DC games I saw online reminded me how bone-shakingly satisfying the series can be.That rated T game? You were reminded of the brutality of MK from that? Shit, go take a look at the first video I posted...

Mort
07-02-2010, 08:38 AM
Johnny Cage died?

Scorpion is the main act? They're turning everything upside down! And I think I like it.

The detective, Jackson... Was that Jaxx, or was Jaxx in SF? :) The door had the "on" from his name, hint? :)

jnwright
07-02-2010, 09:19 AM
Johnny Cage died. Again. Poor guy. :P

Scorpion is Japanese, Reptile is a freak, Baraka is a surgeon?!

What's next? Liu Kang now owning a chinese restaurant along with Law (Tekken)?

ShadowbaneX
07-02-2010, 01:32 PM
the chick playing Sonya Blade? That's Jeri Ryan, Seven of Nine of Star Trek fame. She's not hot enough?

DahLliA
07-02-2010, 04:19 PM
Thirdly: If you've never liked MK, then I'm curious as to what you're basing their personalities on...and why you care about certain people missing from it?

the old movies. I love the first two.

Fourthly: I think that this pseudo-realistic approach is the only way to end up with an actual good movie. So far I haven't seen any fan of the games actually complain about it without admitting that if you try to add in all the magic and goofyness of the game, you get the shit you got with the other two movies. (they were HORRIBLE) This is one of the VERY few cases where sticking closely to the source material will end up simply really really bad.

I completely disagree with this whole paragraph :p

EDIT: Oh, and if you noticed, even the game has taken Reptile back to a more humanoid look, so... Yeah, these are both reboots of pretty intense levels.

don't care about the game. I want more of the awesomeness of the old movies :D

the chick playing Sonya Blade? That's Jeri Ryan, Seven of Nine of Star Trek fame. She's not hot enough?

can think of better choices yeah :p

Matoyak
07-03-2010, 12:17 AM
don't care about the game. I want more of the awesomeness of the old movies :D ... :eek: :eek:
Your version of "awesome" is VERY different.

DahLliA
07-03-2010, 12:28 PM
... :eek: :eek:
Your version of "awesome" is VERY different.

"so a handful of people on a leaky boat are gonna save the world?"

"exactly!"

gold right there. and the theme song. so good:D

Firseal
07-03-2010, 08:31 PM
Small objection. The first Mortal Kombat movie was actually... good. Not great, and campy, but surprisingly good. It's why it got a sequel.

Since the sequel rightly earns a place on many worst movie ever made lists, though, the fact that they didn't completely screw up the first movie is a bit overshadowed.

However.

Any movie that aspires so low as to be like Saw (aka the Complete Idiot's Guide Entry for Gore Movie of Poor and Undiscerning Choice) immediately takes three strikes and is out in my books.

Matoyak
07-03-2010, 10:21 PM
Any movie that aspires so low as to be like Saw (aka the Complete Idiot's Guide Entry for Gore Movie of Poor and Undiscerning Choice) immediately takes three strikes and is out in my books.Well, what I meant by the saw comment was simply the style of the piece...I mean, we don't know really how they're going to do the rest, so eh we'll see if it's aspiring to be anything like Saw. The whole head-ripping stuff I would say is more based on the fatalities of MK than anything else. I think there's more Nolan influences than Saw in it. But once again, simply a proof of concept video. I'm sure it'll change quite a bit in the final production.
(And I've only seen the first Saw movie, and that was when it first released on DVD. Dunno how good/bad it is. Been a long time.)