PDA

View Full Version : July 4th ?

greatwolf
07-04-2010, 03:45 PM
How come there's no july 4th thread? It can't be that unimportant, can it? Anyway, just wanted to wish all the american folks a happy celebration.

DahLliA
07-04-2010, 03:48 PM
happy independence day !

Sinistrum
07-04-2010, 05:45 PM
We're too busy blowing up stuff. BBL.

Signed,

America

czymann
07-04-2010, 11:13 PM
Happy Independence Day everyone!

Frenzy
07-04-2010, 11:23 PM
i was trying to explain to my son just how scary declaring independence was, and why we celebrate it. He was more disappointed that we weren't going to see fireworks today.

priorities.

kablammo!

Terez
07-05-2010, 12:34 AM
Bah humbug.

I play piano for a Unitarian Universalist Fellowship (they dropped the 'church' bit...my teacher has been trying to get me to take a church job for 3 years so when she offered this one I was all YAY), and a member gave a talk on patriotism today and talked about how all the churches in town are probably singing God Bless America and preaching about holy war. Well, maybe not all of them, but this is south MS. He brought a CD player and some Bob Dylan being sung by some woman with a really scary vibrato that just made me wonder if she was underwater sometimes. I think Bob Dylan would have been easier on the ears, and that's saying something. Not that my piano playing was all that great. I find it hard to make myself practice churchy music (even when it's pretending to not be churchy) because it doesn't interest me, and carries connotations of modern protestant brainwashing, but some of this newfangled praise song (or spirit song for the UU folks) business is complicated in comparison to the usual 4-part chorus stuff.

dominominic
07-05-2010, 05:16 AM
I think Bob Dylan would have been easier on the ears, and that's saying something.

I'm glad someone else thinks this about Bob Dylan. He's one of those things that some people will just NOT accept criticism of, and I hate his voice.

greatwolf
07-05-2010, 06:29 AM
I play piano...

Piano? Do you also have a patchwork cloak? :)

Zaela Sedai
07-05-2010, 09:21 AM
You mean we were Drinking, stuffing our faces and then blowing stuff up!! Well unfortunately I wasn't drinking
:( But it was a great time at the show watching all the private shows on the beaches. Plus we could see Long Island's fire works across the Sound.... not sure if those were private or put on by the towns overthere. Very nice night :)

irerancincpkc
07-05-2010, 10:35 AM
I had to work, missed the fireworks... :(

But other than that it was good. :D Lots of grilled food goodness... :D

WinespringBrother
07-05-2010, 03:43 PM
You mean we were Drinking, stuffing our faces and then blowing stuff up!! Well unfortunately I wasn't drinking
:( But it was a great time at the show watching all the private shows on the beaches. Plus we could see Long Island's fire works across the Sound.... not sure if those were private or put on by the towns overthere. Very nice night :)

People here on LI buy their own fireworks by the truckload and set them off, its very fun to watch, especially from a boat.

Zaela Sedai
07-05-2010, 03:55 PM
People here on LI buy their own fireworks by the truckload and set them off, its very fun to watch, especially from a boat.

Yup thats exactly what we were doin on our side of the Sound

Terez
07-05-2010, 03:58 PM
I'm glad someone else thinks this about Bob Dylan. He's one of those things that some people will just NOT accept criticism of, and I hate his voice.
My dad raised me to love the Beatles and hate Bob Dylan's voice. Really, I can't stand it for purely musical reasons, but you can add my dad to the list, lol. Trust me, this girl's voice was worse. Or don't take my word for it - I think this is her (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pih1hVdflnQ). Apparently the guy used her instead of Dylan because he hates Dylan's voice too. Or maybe he thought the lyrics would be easier to understand with her.

Nazbaque
07-05-2010, 04:11 PM
I can't believe I forgot! It is such an important day!

For on July 4th 2010 I was exactly half my mother's age. 54 days to my 25th birthday and 108 to my mother's 50th.

Davian93
07-06-2010, 06:45 AM

The man's a poet, you bastard!!!! HOW DARE YOU!!!

GonzoTheGreat
07-06-2010, 07:26 AM
Sarah Palin is a poet too. It would explain a lot, wouldn't it?

Matoyak
07-07-2010, 11:54 AM
I like Dylan's music...when it isn't played by Dylan. Same goes for the Beatles, too, for that matter. But eh, I'm weird.

Happy late Independence Day, peoples. I missed out on food, fireworks, and hanging with friends. Had to study Calculus for a quiz Monday... damn British professor... (though to be fair, all my friends were called in last minute to their jobs, and my parents hate fireworks [consider them redneck], and my stepdad attempted to cook, but was too drunk and not only screwed it up horridly, but also fell in the pool while doing so...had to jump in to fish his dumb ass out. [also, this is not an unusual level of drunk for him, that's a typical weekend...]). So yeah, no use blaming the Prof, I guess.

EDIT: Though I did manage to start a reread of the Harry Potter series after my studying, so all's good :)

Sei'taer
07-07-2010, 04:36 PM
Happy late Independence Day, peoples. I missed out on food, fireworks, and hanging with friends. Had to study Calculus for a quiz Monday... damn British professor... (though to be fair, all my friends were called in last minute to their jobs, and my parents hate fireworks [consider them redneck], and my stepdad attempted to cook, but was too drunk and not only screwed it up horridly, but also fell in the pool while doing so...had to jump in to fish his dumb ass out. [also, this is not an unusual level of drunk for him, that's a typical weekend...]). So yeah, no use blaming the Prof, I guess.

All of this and the only atypical thing I see from a stand-point of Tennessee to Texas is; Wait just one damn minute, you got a dude from England teaching you math? WTF? I thought only Japs and Chinamen did that? "pip, pip, cheeri-o's, Queens English, do your Calculus..." Seriously, you're fuckin' with us, right?

Matoyak
07-07-2010, 05:44 PM
All of this and the only atypical thing I see from a stand-point of Tennessee to Texas is; Wait just one damn minute, you got a dude from England teaching you math? WTF? I thought only Japs and Chinamen did that? "pip, pip, cheeri-o's, Queens English, do your Calculus..." Seriously, you're fuckin' with us, right?Erm, no, not kidding...my current Calculus professor is British.
Haven't had an Asian of any kind teaching a math course. Every one of my Engineering courses and Physics courses have been Asian professors though. ~shrug~

Sei'taer
07-07-2010, 05:56 PM
Erm, no, not kidding...my current Calculus professor is British.
Haven't had an Asian of any kind teaching a math course. Every one of my Engineering courses and Physics courses have been Asian professors though. ~shrug~

I love it when the PC-ness kicks in after one of My anti-PC posts...:D:D

Matoyak
07-07-2010, 05:59 PM
I love it when the PC-ness kicks in after one of My anti-PC posts...:D:DHas nothing to do with PC-ness. I would have said Asians whether it was PC or not. I didn't feel like specifying whether they were Japanese, Chinese, Indian, or what have you, as I don't know what many of them are. Asian was just simpler.

But now that I've explained that, it obviously wasn't simpler, so eh. W/e.

Sei'taer
07-07-2010, 06:03 PM
Has nothing to do with PC-ness. I would have said Asians whether it was PC or not. I didn't feel like specifying whether they were Japanese, Chinese, Indian, or what have you, as I don't know what many of them are. Asian was just simpler.

But now that I've explained that, it obviously wasn't simpler, so eh. W/e.

Bummer, usually my little spoutoffs get met with silence and a look that says "did he just say that?" and then a correction of the terms I just used.