PDA

View Full Version : Dragon Age II announced

yks 6nnetu hing
07-08-2010, 10:15 AM
woohoooo!

Experience the epic sequel to the 2009 Game of the Year from the critically acclaimed makers of Dragon Age: Origins and Mass Effect 2. You are one of the few who escaped the destruction of your home. Now, forced to fight for survival in an ever-changing world, you must gather the deadliest of allies, amass fame and fortune, and seal your place in history. This is the story of how the world changed forever. The legend of your Rise to Power begins now.

Key Features:

•Embark upon an all-new adventure that takes place across an entire decade and shapes itself around every decision you make.
•Determine your rise to power from a destitute refugee to the revered champion of the land.
•Think like a general and fight like a Spartan with dynamic new combat mechanics that put you right in the heart of battle whether you are a mage, rogue, or warrior.
•Go deeper into the world of Dragon Age with an entirely new cinematic experience that grabs hold of you from the beginning and never lets go.
•Discover a whole realm rendered in stunning detail with updated graphics and a new visual style.

awesomeness :D I should probably go on a re-play of Origins then... you know, to get the most out of it.

Ivhon
07-08-2010, 10:30 AM
Not wasting any time, are they?

Zanguini
07-08-2010, 01:20 PM
With a name like Dragon Age: Origins... a sequel was a given right? ....
So...
Dragon Age: Rise to Power?

Ivhon
07-08-2010, 04:13 PM
I think the idea from the start was to have a trilogy.

Anaiya Sedai
07-08-2010, 04:54 PM
this has been announced for ages, hasn't it?
I think it's being released in february :)

Bryan Blaire
07-09-2010, 07:11 AM
It's been known it was coming, but the actual content/ideas in the game haven't been publicly announced, though some have been posted and speculated on at the BioWare message boards for a while, from what I've seen.

From the looks of things, BioWare has been designing their (alot :D) games in trilogy mode, or it effectively works out that way (KotOR, KotOR 2 by Obsidian, tOR MMO game as one example). The Neverwinter Nights game had two expansions that were almost full games in their own right, etc.

Gilshalos Sedai
07-09-2010, 08:39 AM
You can't play as en elf or dwarf this time, and the protagonist is named Hawke. There's an unconfirmed rumor that the protagonist will be voiced like Shepard in the Mass Effect trilogy.

THIS may be the trilogy with Origins just being the prequel or prologue.

Matoyak
07-09-2010, 11:29 AM
this has been announced for ages, hasn't it?
I think it's being released in february :)March 11, 2011 is the official date according to Gamespot.
And until yesterday, there was no official announcements of DA2. Strong hints, and an unnamed Dragon Age project, but no official announcements. Could have been another expansion.

I really wish my computer could handle the first DA...

Gilshalos Sedai
07-09-2010, 02:18 PM
http://gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2010/07/09/five-facts-about-hawke-in-dragon-age-ii.aspx

From Gameinformer:

Five Facts About Hawke In Dragon Age II

After yesterday's cover reveal and a few tantalizing details about Dragon Age II, fans of BioWare's epic RPG series probably have more questions than answers. The biggest mystery currently involves the new main character: Who is Hawke? You'll have to get a hold of our latest issue if you want all of the details, but we can clarify five basic facts about the central character in Dragon Age II.

1. Hawke will be a voiced character.
Unlike Dragon Age: Origins, the player's character in Dragon Age II will be fully voiced. This opens the door for a more cinematic approach to dialogue and creates an identity for the character outside of the text you see on-screen. It also eliminates those awkward scenarios where you feel like your character should be reacting, but instead just stares blankly without so much as a grunt.

2. Hawke is human.
Yes, that means that you won't be able to select Hawke's race. However, just because that one aspect of Hawke's backstory is set doesn't mean BioWare is eliminating character creation. You can still choose your class and customize your appearance. When we visited BioWare's studio, we only saw (and heard) the male Hawke in action, but the team promises that players can select either gender for the character.

3. Hawke didn't just survive the blight...he escaped it.
As the Grey Warden from Dragon Age: Origins was fighting darkspawn, Hawke was living in Lothering. Fans will remember that the small village was raided and destroyed (an event that occurred off-screen in Origins), and Hawke was one of the survivors. However, rather than stay and fight the darkspawn menace, Hawke flees Ferelden and heads north.

4. Hawke is the Champion of Kirkwall.
Kirkwall is a major population center in the Free Marches, a collection of city-states north of Ferelden. This means that at least some of the action in Dragon Age II will be set in Kirkwall itself, though Hawke will also spend time in other areas of the Free Marches. What exactly Hawke does to earn the honorary title of Champion, however, is up to you.

5. Hawke drives the story.
Dragon Age II is not about killing an ancient evil or about quelling another blight; Hawke is the driving force behind the narrative. Over the course of the game's 10-year timeline, players' actions and choices will determine Hawke's history, relationships, and regrets...all in service to answering the larger question: Who is the Champion of Kirkwall?

irerancincpkc
07-09-2010, 09:01 PM
I can't wait! :D

Matoyak
07-10-2010, 05:26 PM
OK, so the IGN podcast GameScoop had a couple small tidbits of information about this game. I am not directly quoting, and I do not know their sources or anything, but here's what was said about DA2:
*Combat will be more focused on action (compared to DA:O) than RPG. (Think Mass Effect 2 compared to Mass Effect 1)
*They will be attempting to make the game with a focus on consoles, rather than PCs.
*RUMOR: Possibly a new art style, and possibly new game engine. The rumor is the art style will be less realistic, and more stylized.
*Overall the podcast crew says that Bioware seems to be "modernizing" the whole Dragon Age thing, "mass effect 2-ing" it up.

Thoughts? I personally have major doubts about the new game engine thing...

Bryan Blaire
07-11-2010, 10:59 AM
I like ME2, so I'm not too worried about it being a little more action oriented, as long as it doesn't turn into some kind of button masher where you pushing the right combos together determines what you can do.

However, the stylized art design comment does worry me slightly (I haven't seen anything about that though), as it is what has turned me off of the KotOR MMO game. I don't want to play a WoW single player RPG or one that I feel looks like a cartoon.

Matoyak
07-11-2010, 01:00 PM
I don't want to play a WoW single player RPG or one that I feel looks like a cartoon.Stylized doesn't necessarily mean cartoony. Look at Borderlands, Journey, Flower, Enslaved, etc.
While stylized typically does mean Cell-shaded (which is what I assume you mean by cartoony?), I doubt Dragon Age will ever go that route. (Could be wrong though, look at Prince of Persia...) I'm willing to bet by more Stylized they mean more focused on a particular theme, and not necessarily a cell-shaded look. And after all, it is just a rumor, not even the podcast crew could confirm it.
EDIT: Actually, seems like I missed a key sentence in Yks's first post...outright says there will be a new art style. Hrm.

What I'm more worried about is the lesser focus on RPG-elements. While ME2 is my Game of the Year, and IMO a much better game than ME1, I still miss the emphasis on RPG elements (combine ME1 and ME2: you'll get a perfect game), and was hoping that Dragon Age could be my more traditional RPG fix once I get a computer that can handle it. Too many western RPGs have lately been removing more and more of those trappings and heading towards a generic "action" title. Fable, Mass Effect, Dragon Age, even Gothic. I'm almost scared to see what the next Elder Scrolls game is going to be.

Bryan Blaire
07-11-2010, 01:19 PM
If you look at the art stylings of the new KotOR MMO, you will see my definition of "stylized" looking "cartoony". It doesn't take much, and it irritates me like crazy. It doesn't have to take much to make me think that. Hell, the latest Final Fantasy looks more realistic.

There was a lot of discussion a couple years ago while I was still really involved at the BioWare boards on what exactly a "role playing game" was. It's different for a lot of people. Does it have to involve all the mechanics of the game being based on rolling of virtual dice or percentage chances of completion, or does it merely involve playing a role? What is involved in playing a role?

Zaela Sedai
07-11-2010, 06:20 PM
I really wish it was multi player...

yks 6nnetu hing
07-13-2010, 06:47 AM
I'm glad it's not multi-player, wouldn't have time to get sucked into that :( And I've got to echo Mato: I'm worried about the less RPG elements, although I'm not really sure what they mean if there's really no set storyline and your actions are the only thing creating the storyline. That's the most basic definition of RPG if I ever saw one.

Matoyak
07-15-2010, 05:23 AM
I'm glad it's not multi-player, wouldn't have time to get sucked into that :( And I've got to echo Mato: I'm worried about the less RPG elements, although I'm not really sure what they mean if there's really no set storyline and your actions are the only thing creating the storyline. That's the most basic definition of RPG if I ever saw one.Here's some points of what are usually meant by "less RPG":

Reduction in the amount of choice in the differing roles you can play (aka, less classes/races)
Reduction in less equipment/loot to gather (ME2 vs ME1)
A simplified combat system (Fable is a good example here. Think more button mashing or focus on straightforward combat rather than the more strategy-influenced magic or ranged options. ME2 vs ME1 is a good example as well)
Less skills/skill trees to work your way through, or a more straightforward path to doing so (ME2 vs ME1, Fable 3 vs Fable 2 [or so it seems])

Those are typically what a game dev seems to imply when they say "less RPG".

Personally, I am REALLY glad they have stayed away from multiplayer, and they'd better do the same for the Mass Effect universe. (same goes for the next Elder Scrolls game...I just might explode if the rumors of it being an MMO turn out true...)
It doesn't have anything to do with time or suchlike to me. To me these games are single-player story experiences, and forcing in co-op or massive multiplayer breaks said experience. Too often forcing in co-op causes story or gameplay concessions. (Don't get me wrong, I love co-op games, and Guild Wars has made me a recent convert to ambivalence to MMOs. But for the best story experiences, you need a more controlled and scripted environment, the best of which you will tend to find in a single-player game. There are, of course, exceptions to this, but by and large...you get my point.)

yks 6nnetu hing
07-15-2010, 07:28 AM
Here's some points of what are usually meant by "less RPG":

Reduction in the amount of choice in the differing roles you can play (aka, less classes/races)
Reduction in less equipment/loot to gather (ME2 vs ME1)
A simplified combat system (Fable is a good example here. Think more button mashing or focus on straightforward combat rather than the more strategy-influenced magic or ranged options. ME2 vs ME1 is a good example as well)
Less skills/skill trees to work your way through, or a more straightforward path to doing so (ME2 vs ME1, Fable 3 vs Fable 2 [or so it seems])

Those are typically what a game dev seems to imply when they say "less RPG".

*sigh* but that was the main stuff I actually liked about the game. I suck at button-mashers where the *when* of mashing is more important than strategy. Classic super Mario: can't play it, I just don't have the reflexes. Same with any first person shooters, I panic under pressure and throw the controller at the tv. adrenaline spikes: bad, long term power struggle: good. :( I'll be quite surprised if I'll like this game :(

and I was so excited too...

Ivhon
07-15-2010, 07:43 AM
*sigh* but that was the main stuff I actually liked about the game. I suck at button-mashers where the *when* of mashing is more important than strategy. Classic super Mario: can't play it, I just don't have the reflexes. Same with any first person shooters, I panic under pressure and throw the controller at the tv. adrenaline spikes: bad, long term power struggle: good. :( I'll be quite surprised if I'll like this game :(

and I was so excited too...

Well....remember that what you quoted is Mato's speculation.

For the record, if it makes you feel better, I am the worst Super Mario player to have walked the planet. Pretty sure Ive never made it past 1-4 on my own.

In MMOs, if Mario Skills encounters ever show up, I pass my account info on to someone else because I know Ill be logjammed if I dont.

Matoyak
07-15-2010, 08:08 AM
Well....remember that what you quoted is Mato's speculation.This, so much this. Don't take my word for it, wait for news from the devs themselves.

What I said is completely lacking anything other than observation of previous game series. As I said previously in this thread, I haven't even played Dragon Age: Origins (My computer is not powerful enough to run it). However, I love everything I've seen and read about DA-O, and am sad to see so many things they were doing WELL change. I'm sure I will like DA2 either way, but I would feel a certain sadness to see yet another tactical-RPG make the shift to action-RPG. The funny thing is, I absolutely cannot stand turn-based games in the slightest (with the one exception of Pokemon...but that's a holdover from my childhood). So this mix that DA-O and it's ilk provide is wonderful to me.