PDA

View Full Version : Someone make the heat go away?

Sarevok
07-10-2010, 12:13 PM
It's been in the 30s Celcius for 2 weeks here in the Nehterlands. Can someone make it go away??:(

It's 29,5 C in my appartment now.

Btw, it's 85F for you Americans.

Weird Harold
07-10-2010, 01:01 PM
It's been in the 30s Celcius for 2 weeks here in the Nehterlands. Can someone make it go away??:(

It's 105F (40.6 C)and 14% Relative Humidity outside. I'd bet my Heat Index is higher than yours.

Sarevok
07-10-2010, 01:19 PM
It's 105F (40.6 C)and 14% Relative Humidity outside. I'd bet my Heat Index is higher than yours.

My biggest problem is the temperaute inside, actually. Luckily there appear to be some thunderstorms underway now, though. :D

Isabel
07-10-2010, 01:21 PM
Yeah it's really hot :) Well as long as we win tomorrow, it can stay warm:)

Sarevok
07-10-2010, 01:22 PM
Yeah it's really hot :) Well as long as we win tomorrow, it can stay warm:)

Hehe, yeah, quite true. Winning tomorrow would be worth a bit of heat. :D

Bryan Blaire
07-10-2010, 01:23 PM
Sorry guys, 85F is nothing. It's hot, but not that hot. When you get to 95F with 85% relative humidity and no rain, let me know. ;)

Sarevok
07-10-2010, 01:25 PM
Sorry guys, 85F is nothing. It's hot, but not that hot. When you get to 95F with 85% relative humidity and no rain, let me know. ;)

I've been told you guys have A/C in your house, though...:o

Bryan Blaire
07-10-2010, 01:35 PM
Damn straight. We ain't crazy. AC and ceiling fans and heavy wooden blinds. ;)

However, we survived without AC or fans for over two weeks during/after Hurricane Ike, and those temps were much higher and hotter. 85F outside is a good night for BBQ'ing here. :D

Sorry to hear it sucks there for ya!

Weird Harold
07-10-2010, 02:10 PM
My biggest problem is the temperaute inside, actually. Luckily there appear to be some thunderstorms underway now, though. :D
Since I keep the thermostat set to 80F year round, I can't relate well to a mere 85F as a serious problem.

I can suggest that your bathroom is the coolest place in your house and filling your bathtub with cold water will make it a degree or two cooler as well; more importantly, the thermal mass of a tub full of water will slow any increase in the temperature.

Of course soaking in that tub of cold water is the best defense against heat prostration next to staying hydrated.

Sarevok
07-10-2010, 02:12 PM
Since I keep the thermostat set to 80F year round, I can't relate well to a mere 85F as a serious problem.

I can suggest that your bathroom is the coolest place in your house and filling your bathtub with cold water will make it a degree or two cooler as well; more importantly, the thermal mass of a tub full of water will slow any increase in the temperature.

Of course soaking in that tub of cold water is the best defense against heat prostration next to staying hydrated.

This would require a bathtub being present...:mad:

Weird Harold
07-10-2010, 02:35 PM
This would require a bathtub being present...:mad:
Set up an inflatable kiddy pool in your living room, then. :D Or buy a fifty gallon fish tank.

I'm guessing that you have a fan of some sort? take a large baking or roasting pan -- a disposable foil roasting pan is ideal -- fill it with ice and put it in front of the fan. For even better cooling use clothes hanger wire and a towel or pillowcase to form a "covered wagon" tunnel for the fan to direct air through over the ice.

Anaiya Sedai
07-10-2010, 02:56 PM
it's been absolutely scorching (for us) in the UK for about 5 weeks, and while I can live with the daytime temperatures outside just fine, it's the horrible nighttime humidity and heat that I can't stand. I hate sleeping without my duvet, when I only have a sheet I miss the weight of it, so that's only the last resort.. even having the windows and door wide open doesn't do much to cool the air. Sleeping in a bedroom at 25C and 80% humidity is unpleasant to say the least.

I need air conditioning.

Sei'taer
07-10-2010, 04:03 PM
just for you. (http://www.accuweather.com/us/tn/collierville/38017/city-weather-forecast.asp) Notice that the temp is about the same as you, but the heat index is 109f 42.7c (that's the little realfeel index under the temp).

the humidity is really high here, that's what makes it suck.

Ishara
07-10-2010, 06:24 PM
WH's suggestion's are the best, really,

A fan can make a LOT of difference Sare, you should get one, STAT.

We have a window unit a/c and a fan, and tonight, I'm using the ice water trick.

Terez
07-10-2010, 06:37 PM
That was the worst thing about visiting Europe - no AC anywhere. I was uncomfortable trying to sleep, and it was even cold when I was there. Global warming people! Get with the times (and make it worse in the process)!

Zaela Sedai
07-10-2010, 07:18 PM

Let me know when its 40.5C outside and and 33C in your house...thats what we were bitchin about last week, its finally down to the low 30s and its a blessing LOL...Mind you our normal temp is close to your normal temp, unlike these southern guys giving you crap ;)

Hopper
07-10-2010, 10:41 PM
And you get to deal with the heat while being preggers.

Weird Harold
07-11-2010, 12:04 AM
WH's suggestion's are the best, really,

A fan can make a LOT of difference Sare, you should get one, STAT.

We have a window unit a/c and a fan, and tonight, I'm using the ice water trick.
Why thank you.

Another, semi-serious, idea:

http://www.precociouscomic.com/archive/strips/603.jpg

Davian93
07-11-2010, 12:09 AM

Bryan, when you don't have A/C or a tolerance for it, mid-90s heat can be deadly. Especially when its inside your house.

For example, we only have A/C in our bedroom. It was 82-86 degrees (depending on where we were) in our downstairs this week. Absolutely terrible. With the A/C, our bedroom got down to 76 at night...just barable enough to sleep.

Hottest we got was 98 degrees (in freaking Vermont). That's just not right. No idea what the celsius conversion is...sorry.

Thank god its cool again...well, cooler.

Davian93
07-11-2010, 12:15 AM
Other good ways to cool down:

1. Wet a 2 small towels and put one on each of your feet. You can even wrap up a bag of ice and do this. It will cool your blood circulating and keep your core temp down. Really good in super hot weather.

2. Wet a small towel (but not ice cold or even close) and drape it on your neck. You have to be careful on this one as it can cause a stroke if its too cold (say near freezing/freezing and its 100 outside) as it supercools the blood entering your brain...just normal "cold" water from the tap is what you want there. If you're ever hot to the point of dizziness/confusion...I'm talking heat exhaustion pushing heat stroke, this is a good quick way to start cooling down your core parts.

Both are quite helpful when its very hot. I second WH's suggestion with the bucket of ice infront of the fan...that works quite well.

Vermont, like Europe, doesnt believe in central A/C for homes.

Weird Harold
07-11-2010, 12:35 AM
Other good ways to cool down:

1. Wet a 2 small towels and put one on each of your feet. You can even wrap up a bag of ice and do this. It will cool your blood circulating and keep your core temp down. Really good in super hot weather.

If you have limited amounts of cold/cooling, applying it to your pulse points -- wrist, inner elbow, femoral, carotid, etc. Cooling any or all pulse points will cool the blood and the blood will cool the core.

A cool cloth or alcohol wipe behind (or on) the ears will also cool the head and brain fairly quickly without shocking it.

ETA: The key to staying cool without A/C is Water; apply it liberally internally and externally and you can survive an amazing amount of heat; skimp enough on the water, and you can die of heat prostration at ridiculously low temperature.

Zaela Sedai
07-11-2010, 08:55 AM
And you get to deal with the heat while being preggers.

LOL I wasn't even going to pull the P-card

Sarevok
07-11-2010, 09:22 AM
Let me know when its 40.5C outside and and 33C in your house...thats what we were bitchin about last week, its finally down to the low 30s and its a blessing LOL...Mind you our normal temp is close to your normal temp, unlike these southern guys giving you crap ;)

Okay... you win. :eek:

Oatman
07-11-2010, 10:24 AM
Summer down here, 30C is about average. It's only really hot if you start pushing the 40's. Having said that, I'm currently suffering the reverse situation, where it's been ridiculously cold for Australia. Temperatures have been dropping to close to 0C overnight. I'd swap you for the 30 degree day's in a second.

Mort
07-11-2010, 11:05 AM
Temps in the states are no joke. It was between 90-105 everyday I was over there. Except maybe one or two days where it were like 80. They said it was hotter than usual though, more like august weather, this was in Charlotte, NC btw. It was usually arount 95, one day it was 105 with ozone warning etc :)

Thing with ACs over here is that we get only maybe 5-10 really warm days per summer. That is over 30 C. If we're "lucky" ;)

The cost of getting an AC is a little high to only use it for a handful of days. I do just fine in 20-25 C degrees, which is the norm of summers over here.

Global warming might spike sales of ACs though ;)

Bane Darkwulf
07-11-2010, 12:17 PM
When I landed in Kuwait, it was 94 F at 4 am. beat that. Only swamp coolers to cool you down.

Looks kinda like this. (http://www.evapcoolersales.com/Schaefer/Evap_Coolers/PROK142.jpg)

Weird Harold
07-11-2010, 12:41 PM
When I landed in Kuwait, it was 94 F at 4 am. beat that. Only swamp coolers to cool you down.

Looks kinda like this. (http://www.evapcoolersales.com/Schaefer/Evap_Coolers/PROK142.jpg)
MacDill AFB, FL 1979: 0100 hrs, 99F, RH 100% -- Visibility less than 10 meters due to pea-soup FOG.

The old saw, "It ain't the Heat, It's the Humidity," is spot on. Swamp coolers work fine as long as the ambient humidity is low -- below 30% or so -- otherwise they just increase the Humidity and Heat Index to intolerable levels.

Today in No Lost Wages, it is currently 103 F with 18% RH. A hot day, but below normal for the time of year. (depending on the source, we've reached the forecast high temp or it will reach the average high of 105F before sunset.

Sei'taer
07-11-2010, 03:07 PM
Right now in Memphis it's 93f/34c with a RF of 68%. Feels like 104f/41c. Supposed to be like this all week. Hopefully we'll have some t'storms pop up and kill it off for a little while.

Sei'taer
07-11-2010, 03:10 PM
This is when (http://www.accuweather.com/us/tn/collierville/38017/forecast-details.asp?fday=11&unit=f) we will really start getting out buts kicked. I love working outside when it's like that...

Zaela Sedai
07-11-2010, 03:26 PM
Summer down here, 30C is about average. It's only really hot if you start pushing the 40's. Having said that, I'm currently suffering the reverse situation, where it's been ridiculously cold for Australia. Temperatures have been dropping to close to 0C overnight. I'd swap you for the 30 degree day's in a second.

Now I'll play the uncaring Northerner... 0c is toasty warm no coat, just nice heavy sweatshirt weather. Talk to me (and Dav) when its -10C with a -23C windchill.

Thats why we bitch so much with extreme heat.

Sei'taer
07-11-2010, 04:31 PM
Now I'll play the uncaring Northerner... 0c is toasty warm no coat, just nice heavy sweatshirt weather. Talk to me (and Dav) when its -10C with a -23C windchill.

0c here is about normal in the winter. So that's about normal. I don't mind when it gets below that. 10's and 20's are good for me and I can take a hell of a lot colder than that.

I'm living in the wrong part of the world.

Sarevok
07-11-2010, 04:41 PM
0c here is about normal in the winter. So that's about normal. I don't mind when it gets below that. 10's and 20's are good for me and I can take a hell of a lot colder than that.

I thought I lived in the right part of the world... but apparently the part of the world decided to prove me wrong by putting 5 year's worth of hot days in a row.

Ivhon
07-11-2010, 04:58 PM

Me too. Still trying to figure out how someone impervious to cold and sensitive to heat wound up in Texas.

Oh, well. Its all good with a good AC unit that keeps the house at a brisk 68F/20c.

For the record, Austin has been relatively mild so far this summer - temps in the low-mid nineties mainly. Beats the mid 100's of the last few years.

Davian93
07-11-2010, 05:55 PM

Yeah...0 C is literally sweatshirt weather or maybe a zip-up fleece. I love it when it gets that warm in the winter...yes, that WARM. It is routinely negative 20-25 C before the windchill here in the winter for the lows. Last year, it got down to -33 C before the wind chill a couple times. That sucks. It hurts to breathe, you have to cover all your skin if you're outside more than 15-20 min...otherwise, its frostbite. Cars dont like to run, etc etc. With the wind, it was in the -40 F (-40 C) range as to how it felt during that cold spell. We also got 24 inches (60.96 cm) of snow on the last week of April which was a bit unusual. Thus, as Zae says, we're not conditioned for hot weather. Anything over 20 degrees F (-7 C) is a nice warm day in the winter.

Terez
07-11-2010, 07:38 PM
It's' 7:30 pm, the sun is going down, and it's 91˚F, 57% humidity (the humidity is not bad actually...it's usually mush higher). We've had an unusual number of days this year topping 100˚F. This is why I sleep during the day in the summer.

Sei'taer
07-11-2010, 08:43 PM
Yeah...0 C is literally sweatshirt weather or maybe a zip-up fleece. I love it when it gets that warm in the winter...yes, that WARM. It is routinely negative 20-25 C before the windchill here in the winter for the lows. Last year, it got down to -33 C before the wind chill a couple times. That sucks. It hurts to breathe, you have to cover all your skin if you're outside more than 15-20 min...otherwise, its frostbite. Cars dont like to run, etc etc. With the wind, it was in the -40 F (-40 C) range as to how it felt during that cold spell. We also got 24 inches (60.96 cm) of snow on the last week of April which was a bit unusual. Thus, as Zae says, we're not conditioned for hot weather. Anything over 20 degrees F (-7 C) is a nice warm day in the winter.

When I was in college we had a blizzard come through Kansas. I put on shorts and a tshirt and went outside for about 30 seconds. It was -40f/-40C. The wind was blowing 40 to 60 mph and the windchill was -73f/-58C. I did it just so I could tell people the actual coldest temperature I had ever felt. I also use this example when some douchebag says it's too cold to snow. It was 40 below and we had a blizzard that dropped 38" of snow on the ground. I seriously doubt there is a scenario where it's too cold to snow.

The next night our suitemates picked the lock on our room and opened all the windows and put towels against all the thresholds. There was frost on the outside of the refrigerator...

Ishara
07-12-2010, 07:53 AM

Move to Canada!! :D

For us, it's the humidity that is killing us right now. being right on lake Ontario, we get the worst of the Lake Effect in the winter (lots of snow) and summer (lots of moisture in the air). We had a series of flash stroms this weekend when the humidity threshold got too high, but because of the pressure in the air I've had one big pressure headache all weekend. Sleeping made it worse - I felt like I was going to die on Saturday afternoon.

The a/c cuts the humidity significantly, and that ice water in front of the fan trick = awesome. Made a HUGE difference in the afternoon after the game yesterday when I was trying to nap the headache off.

Sei'taer
07-12-2010, 08:18 AM

I'll just wait until we take it by force and remove the healthcare laws and change the money back to the right color and break you all up into states and counties more suitable for us.

GonzoTheGreat
07-12-2010, 08:23 AM
Move to Canada!! :DWhy not go to Alaska?
Has the added benefit that you can see Russia whenever you want to.

Crispin's Crispian
07-12-2010, 11:02 AM

For us, it's the humidity that is killing us right now. being right on lake Ontario, we get the worst of the Lake Effect in the winter (lots of snow) and summer (lots of moisture in the air). We had a series of flash stroms this weekend when the humidity threshold got too high, but because of the pressure in the air I've had one big pressure headache all weekend. Sleeping made it worse - I felt like I was going to die on Saturday afternoon.

That's what Syracuse was like. The day we moved in (after driving there from Oregon...last stop Wauseon, OH) it was 95F and 90-95% humidity. And my wife and I had to unload the U-Haul truck by ourselves. And our townhome didn't have A/C, so that was a fun night.

The storms were very prevalent in the summer, but didn't do a damn thing for the humidity. I kept hoping they would, but they didn't.

Davian93
07-12-2010, 12:04 PM
That's what Syracuse was like. The day we moved in (after driving there from Oregon...last stop Wauseon, OH) it was 95F and 90-95% humidity. And my wife and I had to unload the U-Haul truck by ourselves. And our townhome didn't have A/C, so that was a fun night.

The storms were very prevalent in the summer, but didn't do a damn thing for the humidity. I kept hoping they would, but they didn't.

The northeast sucks for that.