PDA

View Full Version : What is your favorite science fiction novel?

kalliisdannis
07-13-2010, 02:11 AM
What's it about? Why is it your favorite? Please include the author.

Also, would you consider Jules Verne a science fiction author? Is Arthur Clarke a good science fiction writer? What science fiction book would you recommend for me to read?

Terez
07-13-2010, 02:33 AM
My favorite sci-fi novel is Attack of the Spamlords, by Sir Arthur Spamalot.

Basel Gill
07-13-2010, 10:56 AM
It depends on your defintion of sci-fi. I personally enjoyed Childhood's End by Arthur C. Clarke, but that was back in grade school. Later I really enjoyed Galapagos by Kurt Vonnegut which I would classify as sci-fi in a sort of skewed fashion. Of course just about any Vonnegut is good, period.

Ozymandias
08-15-2010, 03:32 PM
I am a big fan of Gene Wolf's Book of the New Sun. Probably the most creatively written thing I've ever read, if not necessarily the most accessible. Its a dying earth novel, so I think it qualifies as SF.

Daekyras
09-18-2010, 05:10 PM
It depends on your defintion of sci-fi. I personally enjoyed Childhood's End by Arthur C. Clarke, but that was back in grade school. Later I really enjoyed Galapagos by Kurt Vonnegut which I would classify as sci-fi in a sort of skewed fashion. Of course just about any Vonnegut is good, period.

Gotta love some Kurt.

Also, Ozy, I knew you would say Gene Wolfe. If its Sci Fi wolfe I'd recommend The Fifth head of Cerberus. The Sun series is very fantasy driven...

Anyway, I find it hard to name just one but if you're interested I recommend:

The Forever War by Joe haldeman
The Demolished man by alfred bester. Two classics and probably up there with the greats of any genre.

for a little more obscure i recommend Come, Hunt an Earthman by Phillip E High. It's brilliant, classic Pulp Fiction and also, i believe, the basis of predator.

Also, anything by Heinlin but The moon is a harsh mistress in particular. I love it.

Artur pendragon
09-18-2010, 05:44 PM
My favorite SF author is Raymond Feist:)(Next to RJ), has anybody read his works?

Weird Harold
09-18-2010, 06:40 PM
My favorite SF author is Raymond Feist:)(Next to RJ), has anybody read his works?
The first Riftwar Trilogy was great, and the collaboration with Janny Wurtz on the Daughter of Empire Trilogy was outstanding. Everything since then reads like transcripts of a riftwar RPG session. Feist is strictly a One Hit Wonder and he's ridden it into the ground.

Kimon
09-18-2010, 11:13 PM
Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card is quite good, as are Bradbury's Fahrenheit 451 and Something Wicked This Way Comes. Aldous Huxley's Brave New World, and HG Well's The Time Machine also come to mind, but, if you consider it Science Fiction, the acme would have to be Orwell's 1984.

halo6819
09-20-2010, 12:04 AM
enders game - orson scott card
starship troopers - heinline
1984 - orwell
anything by issac asimov
anything by vonegut

agree about rift war, with a few caviates. i thought Rise of a Merchant Prince very intresting as it was an economical thriller in a fantasy setting. and one of the last ones in the current cycle (maybe two or three back) was good because it finaly answered who the fuck is nakor...

Daekyras
09-20-2010, 05:12 AM
and one of the last ones in the current cycle (maybe two or three back) was good because it finaly answered who the fuck is nakor...

Yeah, he dragged that out for a LOOOOOONG time. Still wasn't enough to make the book good though. For me the last really good book in the series was Kings Buccaneer. And even then the ending felt rushed...

HunterOTS
11-06-2010, 09:26 PM

I love Feist, although I'd call him Fantasy rather than Sci Fi. But yea, I've read all of his works.

The first Riftwar Trilogy was great, and the collaboration with Janny Wurtz on the Daughter of Empire Trilogy was outstanding. Everything since then reads like transcripts of a riftwar RPG session. Feist is strictly a One Hit Wonder and he's ridden it into the ground.

Haha, I know what you mean, but I think the value of his works extends beyond those two trilogies. I'd say the Serpentwar series is as good as the Riftwar on several levels if not every, and strangely, I actually like the Riftwar Legacy books a great deal, even though their entire purpose was to create a back story for the PC game. I guess it was because Jimmy the Hand featured heavily in those books and he is one of my favorite characters. The Darkwar and Demonwar have definitely dragged the Midkemia universe on a bit long though, and they are totally forced. I think Feist feels the same way I do, committed to seeing it through to the end. Everyone Pug loves must die, and then Pug will die, and only then will I be able to put Midkemia behind me.

As to the OP though, if I were talking about strictly Sci Fi I would I would have to say the Dune series by Frank Herbet, but not so much after God Emperor of Dune. If you're asking about standalone novels, though, I would have to say The Moon is A Harsh Mistress by Heinlein, which I will consider standalone because I don't consider The Cat Who Walks Through Walls to be a true sequel, but rather a book spin-off.

I need to argue on behalf of the Sprawl Trilogy and Bridge Trilogy by William Gibson as well, which aren't pure Sci Fi but a sub-genre. I'd particularly recommend them to people who like things like The Matrix and Inception.

Abbaaddon
01-31-2012, 10:13 AM
For me, I'd advise you the whole Dune saga, with the God Emperor as number 1.
Then, there is also Hyperion from Dan Simmons even if it is very tough to follow everything.
Asimov too, with Fundation. I did not read The Robot circle yet.