PDA

View Full Version : Theoryland through the Ages

Marie Curie 7
07-15-2010, 07:25 PM
I've been spending quite a bit of time lately rummaging through previous incarnations of WoT-related sites in the Wayback Machine and digging through old threads on rec.arts.sf.written.robert-jordan, looking for original sources for old signing reports and interviews and such. Anyway, I thought some of you might interested in or amused by a trip down memory lane to view 10 years of Theoryland.com.

To begin, here's what Theoryland looked like in June of 2000, just a little more than 10 years ago. (Even though Theoryland started in 1998, the Wayback Machine archives for Theoryland only go back to 2000.) The cover of Winter's Heart had just been released. Also, check out the new Elders - SDog and Gil!

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o71/mariecurie7/TL-2000.jpg

Down towards the bottom of that image, you can see a comment about clearing out some factions (those that garnered little support). So here's a closer look at the factions that were removed - check out what tops the list. :) Some of the new factions are pretty amusing, too.

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o71/mariecurie7/TLfactions-2000.jpg

Moving on, things didn't change too much in design from 2000-2002. Here's a look at Theoryland.com in August 2002. At this point, RJ had delayed the release of Crossroads of Twilight. And, note the announcement about Uno's and Moonshadow's wedding. :)

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o71/mariecurie7/TL-Aug2002.jpg

On to 2004 - the site in 2004 looked a bit different from the 2000 and 2002 versions. It's clear from some of the announcements, though, that the more things change, the more they stay the same. New Spring came out in January of that year, but Knife of Dreams was projected for October of 2005, a long wait between main books in the sequence.

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o71/mariecurie7/TL-2004.jpg

The next image is Theoryland as it looked in May 2006. You can see the notice from March of that year, when we first learned about RJ's amyloidosis.

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o71/mariecurie7/TL-2006.jpg

And finally, Theoryland as it appeared in June 2008, which includes the tribute to RJ that Tam posted.

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o71/mariecurie7/TL-2008.jpg

Ivhon
07-15-2010, 11:34 PM
*meeeeeeeemorieeeeeeeees....*

*thooooose were the daaaays....*

As a side note, Uno was consistently intimidating back then....not this occasionally intimidating but mostly professorial stuff.

Uno
07-17-2010, 02:22 AM
*meeeeeeeemorieeeeeeeees....*

*thooooose were the daaaays....*

As a side note, Uno was consistently intimidating back then....not this occasionally intimidating but mostly professorial stuff.

Doubt it. You lot were just more easily intimidated. Semper idem on this front.

Sei'taer
08-06-2010, 08:08 AM

Naw, you were intimidating. I think the ol' lady has calmed you down some.

Ten years...I can't believe that I remember all of those looks and even a couple before those.

Anybody remember which one had Firseals tale listed on the forum entry? I want to say it was the one before the 2000 date Marie posted but I can't remember.

Uno
08-06-2010, 10:29 PM

Ten years...I can't believe that I remember all of those looks and even a couple before those.

Anybody remember which one had Firseals tale listed on the forum entry? I want to say it was the one before the 2000 date Marie posted but I can't remember.

Yeah, well, TL will be a teenager next year, you know. In fact, we may very soon--if not already--have posters born after the creation of the site.

I still take issue with the intimidating thing. I'm sure Frenzy didn't find me intimidating, for instance.

Terez
08-06-2010, 11:30 PM
I'm sure I've never intimidated Frenzy didn't find me intimidating, for instance.
Apparently, someone finds Frenzy intimidating. :D

Uno
08-07-2010, 07:14 AM
Apparently, someone finds Frenzy intimidating. :D

Only when she lectures me about the dangers of smoking, which she has admittedly done a lot, but I haven't had a smoke in five weeks, so that contingency is growing more remote.

Terez
08-07-2010, 09:20 AM
Ohh, congrats. One day...

GonzoTheGreat
08-07-2010, 11:37 AM
How immoral of you, Uno. If everyone did as Frenzy told them to do, she wouldn't have anyone left to lecture at. Then how would she spend her days?

Sei'taer
08-08-2010, 03:52 PM
How immoral of you, Uno. If everyone did as Frenzy told them to do, she wouldn't have anyone left to lecture at. Then how would she spend her days?

Don't worry, she's still got me.

One Armed Gimp
08-09-2010, 02:03 PM
That first photo is like a month or two after I first signed up.

Zombie Sammael
04-08-2012, 01:33 PM

That one was about when I first emerged from my stinking hiding place, back in about 98-99.

Frenzy
04-08-2012, 05:28 PM
Lecturing him about smoking is one of the nice things i've done. i've also been known to hit him with a spatula, shoot him in the crotch with a water gun, and force-feed him Mr. Frenzy's death wings.

i ambushed Sinistrum with those Death Wings too. That was hysterical. i didn't know a person could turn that red without leaking.

and if you think that's bad, my daughter turned Camel into a carrot. True story.

Uno
04-08-2012, 05:57 PM
i've also been known to hit him with a spatula, shoot him in the crotch with a water gun.

Ah, thanks for sharing these kinds of facts with the public at large. And you don't have to be proud of it, you know.

Frenzy
04-09-2012, 01:58 AM
stop smoking.

GonzoTheGreat
04-09-2012, 03:54 AM
and if you think that's bad, my daughter turned Camel into a carrot.
A carrot?
Well, he got better.

Uno
04-09-2012, 03:49 PM
stop smoking.

I haven't had a single cigarette all year, as it happens. Not since that thing in the fall.

Ishara
04-10-2012, 06:25 AM
Marie - thanks for doing this! It's sort of awesome to see how things have changed/ stayed the same. :)

Crispin's Crispian
04-23-2012, 11:27 AM
A carrot?
Well, he got better.

He's one step closer to fitting through the eye of a needle.

Also, Marie, I didn't get Elderized till later. Jan the Hawk...whatever happened to Jan the Hawk?

Khoram
04-25-2012, 05:15 PM
That's quite the colour scheme for 2000 and '02. Now I wish I had found Theoryland sooner. :(

GonzoTheGreat
04-26-2012, 03:40 AM
That's quite the colour scheme for 2000 and '02. Now I wish I had found Theoryland sooner. :(
Colours. Yeah, you're right. Once upon a time, a long long time ago, we used to have colours.

yks 6nnetu hing
04-26-2012, 04:40 AM
Colours. Yeah, you're right. Once upon a time, a long long time ago, we used to have colours.

and every now and then for Halloween

Tamyrlin
04-26-2012, 01:38 PM
I still have those HTML files lying around. Heh, as embarrassing as they are. :)

Moonshadow
08-11-2012, 10:56 PM
Nice to have been a feature ;)

Dragon Thief
08-12-2012, 10:14 PM
Also, Marie, I didn't get Elderized till later. Jan the Hawk...whatever happened to Jan the Hawk?

After naming one of her ferrets after me (she named it DT), I think there was simply too much AWESOME in her house for her to come to a website where the real me was. Erm, virtually and/or metaphorically. Or something.

Dragon Thief
08-12-2012, 10:17 PM
And, note the announcement about Uno's and Moonshadow's wedding. :)

Hey, I was there! Unlike certain posters that made promises to come and didn't show.

I won't name names, but one of them has a really big thing for cucumbers. And isn't named Franzi.

Dragon Thief
08-12-2012, 10:20 PM

I dunno. You bananafying the post Aram tried to dynamify was pretty intimidating, IMNSHO.

Also, I'm pretty sure you wrote nearly as many words as RJ threatening me with latrine-digging-duty. Not that I paid you any attention: I never did listen to old folks prattling on.

Unrelated, I still miss a handful of older posters: Layla, Sven, and Insane Ducky spring the most to mind off the top of my head, although i know there are scores more, if not hundreds, to add to the list.

Frenzy
08-12-2012, 10:25 PM
Hey, i was month 8 into hard-core sleep deprivation this time 10 years ago. i'm surprised i remembered my own name, let alone anything else more important like someone's wedding.

btw, the source of that sleep dep is going into 5th grade this year. and i'm still not used to functioning on 5 hours of sleep.

Dragon Thief
08-12-2012, 10:28 PM
Hey, i was month 8 into hard-core sleep deprivation this time 10 years ago. i'm surprised i remembered my own name, let alone anything else more important like someone's wedding.

btw, the source of that sleep dep is going into 5th grade this year. and i'm still not used to functioning on 5 hours of sleep.

Please. You don't see me using any silly excuses like pregnancy for anything.

Frenzy
08-12-2012, 11:04 PM
says the pasty-legged sheepshagging ginger who whines like a Pinto with a crappy tranny when he has to wake up before 8am.

Dragon Thief
08-12-2012, 11:48 PM
says the pasty-legged sheepshagging ginger who whines like a Pinto with a crappy tranny when he has to wake up before 8am.

Well, yeah. Morning is the bane of existence. Much rougher than some silly pregnancy.

Ishara
08-14-2012, 06:35 AM

Can I just say that you are insprirng SO much hope in me? LOL

Khoram
08-14-2012, 06:59 AM

The joys of being a man. :D

SauceyBlueConfetti
08-14-2012, 01:12 PM

ahhhahahahahahahahahahahahaha

welcome to our world oh little ish...sleep now, sleep now.

Ivhon
08-14-2012, 01:37 PM

Here's some hope for you...

At the beginning, our raptor needed feeding at midnight and 4am. By 4 weeks she was sleeping 6 hours and before 2 months (and ever since) was sleeping the night and then some. So that is possible.

Although none of the other babies I have met have done this.

DaiShan1981
08-14-2012, 05:11 PM
I love how Khoram seems to think somehow the guys never have to wake up or get up in the middle of the night to check on the baby :)

Khoram
08-14-2012, 05:32 PM
I love how Khoram seems to think somehow the guys never have to wake up or get up in the middle of the night to check on the baby :)

I never said that. You implied it. So there. :p

I'm just pointing out how great it is to be a guy. ;)

Ishara
08-14-2012, 08:48 PM
ahhhahahahahahahahahahahahaha

welcome to our world oh little ish...sleep now, sleep now.

DUDE. Do you remember how easy that is NOT at 9 months pregnant? ROFL

SauceyBlueConfetti
08-15-2012, 09:02 AM

At the beginning, our raptor needed feeding at midnight and 4am. By 4 weeks she was sleeping 6 hours and before 2 months (and ever since) was sleeping the night and then some. So that is possible.

Did you just feel a weird sensation on the side of your head? That was me, across the nation, BOXING YOUR EARS !!!

Ivhon
08-15-2012, 10:44 AM
Did you just feel a weird sensation on the side of your head? That was me, across the nation, BOXING YOUR EARS !!!

I had a long post full of other jealousy-inducing factoids. However, I figured that that would bring bad karma so Ill content myself by saying :p

SauceyBlueConfetti
08-15-2012, 11:00 AM
I suggest a Theoryland Baby Contest at JordanCon next year. Each participant can be ranked based upon:

1. adorability
2. ability to enunciate Tel'aran'rhiod clearly
3. sleeping abilities in loud rooms
4. feeding themselves (measurements of food splayage can be done by a disinterested third party)
5. finger pointing (always important for a Theoryland spawn)
6. made up words and sounds & ideas (again, a third party can judge)
7. Racing. Points will be allocated based on ability levels.
8. COSTUME!

An overall award for general IRRITATING behavior will be decided by member votes.

Betting will be encouraged. :D

GonzoTheGreat
08-15-2012, 11:07 AM
4. feeding themselves (measurements of food splayage can be done by a disinterested third party)
If that third party gets a bit too close, he may cease being disinterested quite rapidly.

Ishara
08-15-2012, 12:41 PM
I suggest a Theoryland Baby Contest at JordanCon next year. Each participant can be ranked based upon:

1. adorability
2. ability to enunciate Tel'aran'rhiod clearly
3. sleeping abilities in loud rooms
5. finger pointing (always important for a Theoryland spawn)
6. made up words and sounds & ideas (again, a third party can judge)
7. Racing. Points will be allocated based on ability levels.
8. COSTUME!

An overall award for general IRRITATING behavior will be decided by member votes.

Betting will be encouraged. :D

All this to say that you're coming? ;):D

Dragon Thief
08-16-2012, 12:20 AM
I have serious plans for Jcon, but somehow I doubt I can bring the DT's-in-training along.

Figbiscuit
08-16-2012, 07:27 AM

IVHON DRUGS HIS BABY!! :eek:

;)