PDA

View Full Version : Can Joline Travel?

greatwolf
07-19-2010, 06:12 AM
Since the band is now presumably in caemlyn via I suppose it is safe to assume that our three sisters with Mat can now Travel? At least I beleive Teslyn and Joline were strong enough but I don't know of Edesina.

Thoughts?

GonzoTheGreat
07-19-2010, 06:54 AM
They may be dead by now, if Verin decided not to leave life BA behind.

Davian93
07-19-2010, 07:57 AM
Also, it completely depends on whether Verin was in a sharing mood (something I somewhat doubt unless she trusted the AS in Mat's camp)

Terez
07-19-2010, 09:07 AM
Why again haven't you read TGS yet? I vaguely remember a reason.

greatwolf
07-19-2010, 04:33 PM
Also, it completely depends on whether Verin was in a sharing mood (something I somewhat doubt unless she trusted the AS in Mat's camp)

can Verin invert her weaves? I don't recall. And wouldn't it cause some akwardness if she did?

Are theyv all BA? That would put Mat in a really exciting spot. O drat, Verin would have told him!

But its funny, he's going to put off rescuing Moiraine to attend Elayne in her bath and now he has this 3 BA and he can't open the letter...

GonzoTheGreat
07-19-2010, 04:43 PM
And Birgitte is going to try to make him commander of the Andoran army, while the Andorans resent him for bringing a foreign army into their country.

Oh, and he's gonna meet Taim. That will be fun!

greatwolf
07-19-2010, 04:54 PM
Oh, and he's gonna meet Taim. That will be fun!

:) Make my day.

The prologue ready?

FelixPax
07-19-2010, 09:26 PM
Since the band is now presumably in caemlyn via I suppose it is safe to assume that our three sisters with Mat can now Travel? At least I beleive Teslyn and Joline were strong enough but I don't know of Edesina.

Thoughts?

Weak channelers can use the Travel weave if they link together to create the weave. Both weak Aes Sedai & Kin have each already done this. The only limitation is finding a partner to link with, to do it.

One example is Phaedrine and Shemari linking & Traveling together, while alone they are too weak (CoT,Ch.17).

Though it seems like Edesina is strong enough to create a Traveling weave alone, as she would be around a Level 8 or 9 on Linda Saidar Strength List (http://13depository.blogspot.com/2009/02/saidar-strength-ranking.html) I believe. Granted Edesina exact strength level is still up in air; Linda's list is good, but not perfect.... She's human too.

Who's to say that Pevara, Tarna of the Red Ajah did not instead teach Joline, Teslyn, Edesina how to travel in Caemlyn?

Or one of the many, many Kin within Caemlyn could have taught these three sisters how to Travel? Yes, I expect there are more than 150+ Kin in Caemlyn now.

Some how I do not see group of Sea Folk Windfinders led by Chanelle din Seran White Shark teaching anyone a weave, as they want the terms of a Bargain with Egwene's White Tower met. Sigh, too bad Shalon din Togara Morning Tide or Jorin din Jubai White Wing aren't in Caemlyn instead.

can Verin invert her weaves? I don't recall. And wouldn't it cause some akwardness if she did?

Verin did not know how to invert her weaves at the Cleansing, when fighting a female Chosen.

And Birgitte is going to try to make him commander of the Andoran army, while the Andorans resent him for bringing a foreign army into their country.

Laugh, no Birgitte want Gawyn to lead.

Resent? Elayne's wants a large army of loyal soldiers!

Elayne took a deep breath. She had harried this question from every direction she knew, and she could see no other way. “Birgitte, by spring, I want the Guards to be an army equal to anything ten Houses can put in the field.”

Winter's Heart, Prologue 'Snow'

Bah!! You're forgetting a good part of the Band of Red Hand are formerly Morgase's Queen Guards, who were forced out of their jobs when Rahvin took over. :p

The Band’s soldiers added to the crowds, ones or threes meandering about the shops and taverns, troops in formation, crossbowmen and archers in jerkins covered with steel discs, pikemen in battered breastplates cast off by their betters or looted from the dead. Everywhere rode breast-plated horsemen, Tairen lancers in rimmed helmets and Cairhienin in bell-shaped helmets, even some Andorans in conical helmets with barred face-guards. Rahvin had tossed a good many men out of the Queen’s Guards, men too loyal to Morgase, and some had joined the Band.

Lord of Chaos, Chapter 5 "A Different Dance" - Mat Cauthon point of view

All foreigners? Hah! "Men too loyal to Morgase".

Don't you recall that Elayne already began to train Mat's soldiers to obey her on the way down to Ebou Dar? :D

Mat Cauthon and the Band of Red Hand are loyal to Rand. And what did Rand al'Thor made Mat Cauthon promise again?

To protect Elayne. And what did Mat ask of Birgitte, Lan in Ebou Dar?

“The Bowl is too important,” he told them. “That gholam is still out there, and maybe Moghedien, and the Black Ajah for sure.” The dice thundered in his head. Aviendha would not appreciate being lumped in with Nynaeve and Elayne, but he did not care right then. He addressed Lan and Birgitte. “Keep them safe until I can reach you. Keep all of them safe.”

Startlingly, Aviendha said, “We will. I promise.” She fingered the hilt of her knife. Apparently she did not understand she was one of those to be kept safe.

Nynaeve and Elayne did. Nynaeve’s sudden glare tried to bore a hole through his skull; he expected her to yank on her braid, but strangely, her hand only fluttered toward it before being put firmly to her side. Elayne contented herself with raising her chin, those big blue eyes frosty. No dimple here.

Lan and Birgitte understood, too.

“Nynaeve is my life,” Lan said simply, putting a hand on her shoulder. The odd thing was, she suddenly looked very sad, and then just as suddenly, her jaw set as though she was preparing to walk through a stone wall and make a large hole.

Birgitte gave Elayne a fond look, but it was to Mat she spoke. “I will,” she said. “Honor’s truth.”

Mat tugged at his coat uncomfortably. He still was not sure how much he had told her while drunk. Light, but the woman could soak it up like dry sand. Even so, he gave the proper response for a Barashandan lord, accepting her pledge. “The honor of blood; the truth of blood.” Birgitte nodded, and from the startled looks he received from Nynaeve and Elayne, she still kept his secrets close. Light, if any Aes Sedai ever found out about those memories, they might as well know he had blown the Horn as well; foxhead or no foxhead, they would stretch him out till they dug out every last why and how.

The Crown of Swords, Chapter 39 "Promises to Keep" - Mat Cauthon point of view

Aviendha is not protecting Elayne now, nor is Nynaeve, and nor is Lan. Only Birgitte is keeping her pledge to Mat to protect Elayne now. And Lan's pledge was really only to ultimately protect Nynaeve, not Aviendha or Elayne.

To protect Elayne in Caemlyn now, does that mean Mat might leave a part of the Band of Red Hand in Caemlyn? Why? To meet his promise to protect Elayne, which Mat gave to Rand previously.

Though yes, Mat's promise was limited:

“Good. I need an hour or so myself.” For what, he did not say. “Stay close to Elayne, Mat. Keep her safe. I mean, there’s no point to this if she doesn’t reach Caemlyn alive for her coronation.” Did Rand think he did not know about him and Elayne canoodling in every corner of the Stone the last time they were together?

“I’ll treat her like my own sister.” His sisters had done their best to make his life miserable. Well, he expected the same from Elayne, just in a different way. Maybe Aviendha would be a little better. “She won’t get out of my sight until I plunk her down in the Royal Palace.” And if she tries Mistress Snoot on with me too often, I’ll bloody well kick her!

Rand nodded. “That reminds me. Bodewhin is in Caemlyn. With Verin and Alanna, and some more Two Rivers girls. They’re on their way to train for Aes Sedai. I’m not sure where they will do it; I am certainly not letting them go to the Tower the way things are. Maybe the Aes Sedai you bring back will take care of it.”

Mat gaped. His sister, Aes Sedai? Bode, who used to run tell their mother every time he did anything that was fun?

“Another thing,” Rand went on. “Egwene may be in Salidar before you. I think somehow they found out she’s been calling herself Aes Sedai. Do what you can to get her out of it. Tell her I will get her back to the Wise Ones as soon as I can. She’ll probably be more than ready to go with you. Maybe not, though; you know how stubborn she’s always been. The main thing is Elayne. Remember, don’t leave her side till she reaches Caemlyn.”

“I promise,” Mat muttered. How under the Light could Egwene be somewhere on the Eldar? He was sure she had been in Cairhien when he left Maerone. Unless she had worked out Rand’s trick with the gateways. In which case she could jump back any time she wished. Or jump to Caemlyn, and make a gateway for him and the Band at the same time. “Don’t worry about Egwene, either. I’ll drag her out of whatever trouble she’s in, no matter how muley she behaves.” It would not be the first time he had pulled her chestnuts off the hearth before they burned. Very likely he would get no thanks for it this time either. Bode was going to be Aes Sedai? Blood and bloody ashes!

Lord of Chaos, Chapter 33 "Courage to Strengthen" - Mat Cauthon point of view

Just seems like Mat will leave a part of his Band of Red Hand in Caemlyn, while he goes to the Tower of Ghenjei. The Band's native Andorans soldiers?

Will there be a 'Two Captains' type chapter coming up again? Between Mat and Elayne, rather than Mat and Egeanin as we all read in CoT,Ch.2?

greatwolf
07-20-2010, 04:32 PM
Weak channelers can use the Travel weave if they link together to create the weave. Both weak Aes Sedai & Kin have each already done this. The only limitation is finding a partner to link with, to do it.....

Got the message, I need a reread.

I don't see anyone of those AS linking with the other. They're just too separate. And not fond of each other. Unless they have a common destination that at least two would want to reach, linking's out.

Since they're with the band, they'll have to ride through whatever gate Verin makes. And since Joline and Teslyn were sitters, I think they would stand above Verin in the heirachy, I'm unsure, but they may not be high enough to demand that she reveal the weave.

If Verin doesn't share, I think it'll likely be because one or more is BA. And Mat still has to get to Moiraine, a sixty day journey or thereabouts. He'll need Travelling to get there anytime soon. And that means Moiraine will be able to learn the weave as soon as she's freed. If she is.

I think Elayne will welcome Mat and the band. There's no one that will argue that, even in TL. :)