PDA

View Full Version : Inception - Spoilers

Tamyrlin
07-20-2010, 07:04 PM
If you haven't seen the movie, don't read this.

Okay, here is my theory: Cobb is the 'mark', and his grandfather is the architect. There isn't a limbo level (although I'm willing to allow for the actual existence of a Limbo level too as the real explanation of his wife's death). In fact, most of what we see, if not all, is within the grandfather's architected dream world trying to get Cobb "back" to his children, after Cobb's has serious mental breakdown at the actual death of his wife. Cobb's grandfather realizes that he must perform an inception, the belief that Cobb's children needed him and he could get back to them if he was capable of realizing his own inception. The final scene of the movie ends with Cobb having conquered his breakdown, the inception performed on him is successful. Along with this, I believe it is possible that the Forger was used often portraying Cobb's wife throughout the dream. It is easy to explain the spinning top, as we are told that a totem can be controlled if it is known by another. In other words - the first layer of the dream is the world we first enter and we never see the real world during the movie - making the world of the dream, Inception, a literal meaning.

Brita
07-21-2010, 01:33 PM
Interesting....

There were a couple of major gaps for me, and this may address them, I'm not sure.

Gap 1 (minor): That the company Cobb worked for will just forget about trying to kill him (this is answered by your hyposthesis)

Gap 2 (major): The aging piece. If Mal and Cobb grew old together in limbo, why were they still young when they lay down on the train tracks? Also, if Tadashi went into limbo after Cobb, why is he old and Cobb is still young?

Leanne
07-27-2010, 11:05 PM
I really like this idea. I just watched the movie and I already NEED to see it again. When I first watched it, I watched it for what it was. There are so many possibilities though. One of the many reasons why I love it already. The effects were awesome as well.

First, a thought about the aging...Cobbs knew he was in limbo. The other guy did not, so he made a world for himself and that is how he aged. As to the train tracks, I will have to watch again, but I heard that when they flash to the scene, and show only their hands, they are aged. This would say that he was seeing it as he remembered them to be, not as they actually were when it happened.

The person I went with was trying to make a theory that the story of Mal, was really the story of Cobb. Basically he killed himself while heavily sedated, meaning he was in limbo and the entire movie was her trying to bring him back.

This made me start thinking about the many ways the movie could go. The fact that the kids are the same as they were in all the scenes are what really makes this seem like a literal inception, as you said. Are they wearing the exact same clothes? It appears they were, something to look for.

I think the fact that he never saw the kids' faces is significant.

Anyone wonder what Cobbs' totem was. We only saw the top and we know that was his wife's.

So much to think about...

WinespringBrother
07-28-2010, 08:43 AM
I also thought during the movie that it was Mallorie trying to save Cobb, and that the whole movie was in a dream. My first suspicion was when Cobb called home and was talking to one of his children, but they were outside in the sun and it didn't look like either was holding a phone. Also, didn't Cobb talk to Miles on the phone after talking to his children, right before seeing him in Paris-seemed to be odd for him to be flying around so much for someone who seemed settled in his job.

Brita
07-28-2010, 03:07 PM
First, a thought about the aging...Cobbs knew he was in limbo. The other guy did not, so he made a world for himself and that is how he aged. As to the train tracks, I will have to watch again, but I heard that when they flash to the scene, and show only their hands, they are aged. This would say that he was seeing it as he remembered them to be, not as they actually were when it happened.

Yes, someone else said the same thing, that there was a very quick flash of the train scene in which they are older. I missed it too, I will have to watch it again myself.