PDA

View Full Version : Begun, the Whale Wars Have

Davian93
07-21-2010, 09:08 AM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/38339576/ns/world_news-africa/

Too funny.

lurk
07-21-2010, 09:56 AM
LOL nobody can write this script, imagine sitting on board, behind the wheel enyoing your holidays and then...what the.. Oooh sheeeet

DahLliA
07-21-2010, 07:31 PM
now that's a shocker

Marie Curie 7
07-21-2010, 10:53 PM
That is a fabulous whale. (Okay, yeah, I'm a whale geek.)

Anyway, it's really odd that a whale would do that. Either this whale landed in the boat because it's young and not very experienced at breaching, or else its depth perception is bad because it needs contact lenses or something, lol...

At least the whale is okay, or so it seems. And at least there are several thousand or so of the Southern Right Whales. They're the least endangered of all Right Whales. On the other hand, there are estimated to be only about 400 North Atlantic Right Whales in existence today.

You know why they're called 'right' whales? Because they were the 'right' whale to hunt - they're the only large baleen whale that floats. So, if a right whale were harpooned, the whaler didn't have to worry about getting to the whale quickly before it sunk. Right whales also have the most blubber of any large whale (the reason they float when harpooned, of course), so they were very profitable when selling blubber for making whale oil for lamps, etc.

I've never seen a North Atlantic right whale breach (probably because there are so few of them that it's a wonder just to see one at all), but I got to see quite a few humpback whale breaches earlier this summer off the coast of Cape Cod, so I feel the need to share:

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o71/mariecurie7/breach4.jpg

Anyway, not only are Southern Right Whales like the one that smashed into the yacht found off the coast of South Africa, there's actually a wine produced in South Africa called Southern Right, from a vineyard near the coast (http://www.sawineco.com/vineyard.cfm?preview=523). I came across it when I was on vacation last year, and bought a bottle of it specifically because it had a cool drawing of a Southern Right Whale on the bottle:

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o71/mariecurie7/sorightlogo.jpg

The cork also had a drawing of a right whale on it. It was also cool.

Bane Darkwulf
07-22-2010, 07:21 AM
Is it too late to side with the whales?

GonzoTheGreat
07-22-2010, 07:25 AM
I'm not sure anyone in this thread sides with their enemies.

Sei'taer
07-22-2010, 08:16 AM
I like Whale Wars! The butt kick boat, Ady Gil, got rammed to death the other night though, so now it's gonna get wild because her captain (or skipper as he called himself) was extrememly pissed off.

I do wonder what all the hubbub is about whale meat. Does it just taste that good or are they using the other parts of the whale for medicinal purposes and skipping the meat? Maybe I need to do a little google searching...

Ishara
07-22-2010, 09:02 AM
Marie - you were close enough to TAKE that pic? That's awesomeness. Very cool!

Terez
07-22-2010, 09:22 AM
That is a fabulous whale. (Okay, yeah, I'm a whale geek.)
I had a feeling you would show up on this thread. :D

Zaela Sedai
07-22-2010, 10:11 PM
I love whale wars too.... can't wait till tomorrow's show

I saw this on the news... poor whale lol

Marie Curie 7
07-23-2010, 12:35 AM
Marie - you were close enough to TAKE that pic? That's awesomeness. Very cool!

Yeah, I've had several opportunities to get pictures of breaches up close. Here's another one:

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o71/mariecurie7/whalebreach.jpg

And humpbacks often approach the boat closely, like this:

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o71/mariecurie7/close2.jpg

The difference between those close encounters and the Southern Right whale crashing into the boat is that the boats that I'm on are usually about 100 feet in length, while humpbacks or right whales are about 40 feet in length (the sailboat that the Southern Right crashed into was about 30 feet in length).

I did try a chartered boat this summer, about the same size as the sailboat, but the day I went out on that we only saw two humpbacks in the distance, nothing up close.

Davian93
07-23-2010, 07:06 AM
I remember the time I actually had to travel back in time 300 years to capture a couple of humpback whales and bring them back with me so they could talk to the probe that was destroying Earth's oceans. It was a bit hairy at times and we nearly lost a crew member in the process but we saved the day in the end...and even learned a little something about ourselves...and about humanity.

Gilshalos Sedai
07-23-2010, 07:43 AM
And that 80's music played on a boom box at full blast still sucks.

Ishara
07-23-2010, 09:31 AM
Yeah, I've had several opportunities to get pictures of breaches up close. Here's another one:

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o71/mariecurie7/whalebreach.jpg

And humpbacks often approach the boat closely, like this:

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o71/mariecurie7/close2.jpg

The difference between those close encounters and the Southern Right whale crashing into the boat is that the boats that I'm on are usually about 100 feet in length, while humpbacks or right whales are about 40 feet in length (the sailboat that the Southern Right crashed into was about 30 feet in length).

I did try a chartered boat this summer, about the same size as the sailboat, but the day I went out on that we only saw two humpbacks in the distance, nothing up close.

Oh MAN. That is officially on my life list - seeing a big freaking whale that close to me would be amazing!!! And breaching?! I'm so far away from any oceans... :(

Zaela Sedai
07-23-2010, 11:47 AM
Take a Boston Trip at some some point Ishara. Glouster is a good place to grab whale watched. Not horribly far from you, probably same as NYC By not horribly far I mean you could drive it for a long weekend :)

Davian93
07-23-2010, 12:13 PM
Take a Boston Trip at some some point Ishara. Glouster is a good place to grab whale watched. Not horribly far from you, probably same as NYC By not horribly far I mean you could drive it for a long weekend :)

Newburyport is also a good place to find them...and its a nicer town to walk around than Gloucester (sp?)

Ivhon
07-23-2010, 12:18 PM
Gloucester (sp?)

dunno how it's spelled, but you pronounce it "GLAHSTAH!" Not allowed to say it softly...

Marie Curie 7
07-23-2010, 03:09 PM
Oh MAN. That is officially on my life list - seeing a big freaking whale that close to me would be amazing!!! And breaching?! I'm so far away from any oceans... :(

Uh...I live in Illinois. No oceans here, either, lol.

Gloucester and Newburyport would be good places to whale watch, but the best place is Provincetown (at the tip of Cape Cod). If you were to take a trip to Boston, you can drive or take the passenger ferry right from downtown Boston over to P-town.

Davian93
07-23-2010, 03:17 PM
Uh...I live in Illinois. No oceans here, either, lol.

Gloucester and Newburyport would be good places to whale watch, but the best place is Provincetown (at the tip of Cape Cod). If you were to take a trip to Boston, you can drive or take the passenger ferry right from downtown Boston over to P-town.

Yeah, the ferry to P-town is a far far smarter move than driving the length of the Cape (unless you like stopping at lighthouses and stuff).

Zaela Sedai
07-24-2010, 03:06 PM
Yeah, the ferry to P-town is a far far smarter move than driving the length of the Cape (unless you like stopping at lighthouses and stuff).

Nah, I think she should drive the arm of the Cape in July on a Saturday around 9-10 AM or so... no traffic I swear!

It's actuallly Gloucester...and Ivhon it's "Glowwwstah" not "Glahstah" :P

Ivhon
07-24-2010, 03:25 PM
Nah, I think she should drive the arm of the Cape in July on a Saturday around 9-10 AM or so... no traffic I swear!

It's actuallly Gloucester...and Ivhon it's "Glowwwstah" not "Glahstah" :P

hmm....been a while since ive been up there. Clearly my Bahstin has worn off.

Zaela Sedai
07-24-2010, 05:58 PM
hmm....been a while since ive been up there. Clearly my Bahstin has worn off.

Thats better ;)