PDA

View Full Version : An idea for the database

Terez
06-21-2008, 03:17 AM
And this is sort of dependent, for the most part, on the assumption that we'll be importing ezBoard/Yuku threads into vBulletin, and also that we'll be updating our software to the most recent version.

But the new version of vBulletin allows you to tag threads (there was a similar option with the Yuku "update"). Each user is allowed to put two tags on a thread (though that could probably be adjusted per user by the admin - not sure). I would be willing to work on this project, but organizing threads into categories would be a matter of extreme simplicity with the tag system. We could keep a running thread here with a leaderboard post, once the import has been done, of which threads have been tagged and which still need to be tagged. Most good discussions have a tendency to get off subject really quickly, and delve into several areas before they're done, so this is a simple way of putting a thread into multiple categories. Yeah, whoever was tagging would nead to read the whole thread to know which tags to put on it, but we could also keep a running tab on which threads have been tagged only by OP and which have been read all the way through. If the user tag limit can't be adjusted, then we could post here with a link to a thread we've read that needs more tags.

What's nifty about the vBulletin tags is, not only can you search for tags, but you can also check the tag cloud in any thread's tag box. Here's an example of a tag cloud (and this is funny but I hope you guys know ours would not look anything like this one). (http://www.malazanempire.com/forums/tags.php) It shows the 70 most used tags, and the really common ones show up in increasingly larger font, and they're all links to the search results for that tag.

Of course, we wouldn't be able to tag theoryland.com theories, exactly, but working them into the tags is still easy. What's on the Yuku database currently will have to be moved over here, but the theoryland.com theories for which the links still work only have to be copy/pasted into vBulletin - no coding requried. I could do it right now myself in about an hour or so, but I don't want to pretend like I did all the work for it. :D Anyway, once that's done (and we've updated) then, if adbf does it the same way, with each category having a separate thread, then each thread, with links to theoryland.com theories in that category, can then be easily incorporated into the tags.

As to what to do with the current broken Yuku links...should we bother fixing those links or should we just tag the threads when they're imported and delete the broken links? The broken links have the thread titles in them, so we should probably keep them at least until they're tagged, but I don't know that we need bother fixing the links if we can just tag them.

It seems like a big project, but with even 3 or 4 people working on it, it wouldn't be so bad. After we've imported and updated. :D

GonzoTheGreat
06-21-2008, 04:29 AM
and this is funny but I hope you guys know ours would not look anything like this one
Wouldn't be fun to have a thread derailed into a discussion of whether it should be tagged with "waste of time" or "pointless waste of time"?

Terez
06-21-2008, 09:01 AM
Yeah, I like those two tags myself. :D Some threads over there are tagged with both. They're generally stuck on endless threads for stuff like "What's making you happy right now?" or "First word to come to mind". Truly pointless stuff...but some people like those threads...

cathar
06-22-2008, 03:31 PM
I'd help with the whole tag team thing.

Terez
06-22-2008, 05:29 PM
We're waiting for adbf to chime in and Tam to do what he has to do of course, but I imagine we will be emailing those of you who have volunteered (with assurances or no) when the time comes. adbf might want to redo the whole thing as it was after the import, but the tagging will still be needed, because noobs are more likely to stumble into the tag function than the database board, so it will just be another way to lure them into our dark past, mwahahahaha. :D

FelixPax
07-03-2009, 01:13 PM
Yeah, I like those two tags myself. :D Some threads over there are tagged with both. They're generally stuck on endless threads for stuff like "What's making you happy right now?" or "First word to come to mind". Truly pointless stuff...but some people like those threads...

Flame War tag possibly?

Something about Uno & Goats in the 'history' section, about prior thread wars?!?

TankSpill
10-06-2010, 03:39 PM
Is this any sort of ongoing project, or has it been obsoleted in some way, or something else? Inquiring mind(s) would like to know.

Tamyrlin
10-06-2010, 08:38 PM
Is this any sort of ongoing project, or has it been obsoleted in some way, or something else? Inquiring mind(s) would like to know.

However, I am working on getting a WoT Theory Database going that everyone can contribute to, which stems from much work done on our old boards. I'm not ready yet for that, as I'm working on getting vbulletin 4.0 up and running along with some other stuff atm.