PDA

View Full Version : Gotta do one more before I hang up my end!!

pops taer
07-29-2010, 09:50 AM
IDIOT SIGHTING:

We had to have the garage door repaired. The Sears repairman told us that one of our problems was that we did not have a 'large' enough motor on the opener. I thought for a minute, and said that we had the largest one Sears made at that time, a 1/2 horsepower. He shook his head and said, "Lady, you need a 1/4 horsepower." I responded that 1/2 was larger than 1/4. He said, "NO, it's not. Four is larger than two..."

We haven't used Sears repair since.

IDIOT SIGHTING:
My daughter and I went through the McDonald's take-out window and I gave the clerk a $5 bill. Our total was $4.25, so I also handed her a quarter. She said, "You gave me too much money." I said, "Yes I know, but this way you can just give me a dollar bill back." She sighed and went to get the manager who asked me to repeat my request. I did so, and he handed me back the quarter, and said "We're sorry but we cannot do that kind of thing." The clerk then proceeded to give me back $1 and 75 cents in change.

IDIOT SIGHTING:
I live in a semi-rural area. We recently had a new neighbor call the local township administrative office to request the removal of the DEER CROSSING sign on our road. The reason: "Too many deer are being hit by cars out here! I don't think this is a good place for them to be crossing anymore."

From Kingman, KS .

IDIOT SIGHTING IN FOOD SERVICE:
My daughter went to a local Taco Bell and ordered a taco. She asked the person behind the counter for 'minimal lettuce.' He said he was sorry, but they only had iceberg lettuce.

From Kansas City

IDIOT SIGHTING:
I was at the airport, checking in at the gate when an airport employee asked, "Has anyone put anything in your baggage without your knowledge?" To which I replied, "If it was without my knowledge, how would I know?" He smiled knowingly and nodded, "That's why we ask."

Happened in Birmingham, Ala.

IDIOT SIGHTING:

The stop-light on the corner buzzes when it's safe to cross the street. I was crossing with an intellectually challenged co-worker of mine. She asked if I knew what the buzzer was for. I explained that it signals blind people when the light is red. Appalled, she responded, "What on earth are blind people doing driving?

She was a probation officer in Wichita, KS.

IDIOT SIGHTING:
I attended a "good-bye" luncheon for an old and dear co-worker. She was leaving the company due to 'downsizing.' Our manager commented cheerfully, "This is fun. We should do this more often." Not another word was spoken. We all just looked at each other with that "deer-in-the-headlights" stare.

This was a lunch at Texas Instruments.

IDIOT SIGHTING:
I work with an individual who plugged her power strip back into itself and for the sake of her life, couldn't understand why her system would not turn on.

A deputy with the Dallas County Sheriff's office, no less.

IDIOT SIGHTING:
When my husband and I arrived at an automobile dealership to pick up our car, we were told the keys had been locked in it. We went to the service department and found a mechanic working feverishly to unlock the driver side door. As I watched from the passenger side, I instinctively tried the door handle and discovered that it was unlocked. "Hey," I announced to the technician, "It's open!" His reply, "I know. I already got that side."

This was at the Ford dealership in Canton , MS ......

I love this one!:
When I left Hawaii and was transferred to FL, I still had the Hawaiian plates on my car, as my car was shipped from Hawaii . I was parking somewhere (I can't remember) and a guy asked me "Wow, you drove from Hawaii to here?" I looked at him and quickly said "Yep. I took the Hawaii/San Francisco Bridge." He nodded his head and said "Cool!"

STAY ALERT!

They walk among us...
and they REPRODUCE...

GonzoTheGreat
07-29-2010, 09:58 AM
We had to have the garage door repaired. The Sears repairman told us that one of our problems was that we did not have a 'large' enough motor on the opener. I thought for a minute, and said that we had the largest one Sears made at that time, a 1/2 horsepower. He shook his head and said, "Lady, you need a 1/4 horsepower." I responded that 1/2 was larger than 1/4. He said, "NO, it's not. Four is larger than two..."Quite true, 4 is indeed larger than two. Actually, it's twice as large.

Ivhon
07-29-2010, 02:41 PM
Idiocracy is coming...

OWW! My balls...

Zaela Sedai
07-29-2010, 05:27 PM
LMAO, love those

tworiverswoman
07-30-2010, 12:33 AM
Somebody needs to reassure me that these are all jokes before I can laugh...

The McDonalds one just depressed me horribly.

Firseal
07-30-2010, 01:51 AM
A man in Prince George's County went to a McDonalds in a mall. He asked for regular fries, and when it was a dollar and some change, he handed the clerk a two dollar bill.

The clerk looked at the bill, looked at the man, and said something along the lines of, "Ha ha. No. Really. We require American money here." He was a recent immigrant, of course, and two dollar bills are rare enough he'd never even heard of them.

The customer was not detered, and asked to see a manager. So the clerk called a manager, who looked at the two dollar bill, looked at the man, and being a recent immigrant who had never so much as heard of a two dollar bill, said, "Sir, you will have to pay for your food with actual money."

The customer said, "This is money."

"No sir, it is not," the manager insisted. "You can pay for the fries properly, or you can leave, or I can call security."

The customer looked at him, straight in the eye, and said, "Then call security."

A few minutes later, a security guard arrived. Being an immigrant, new to the United States, he'd never seen nor heard of a two dollar bill. When the man would not back down or pay another way, the security guard suggested calling the police. The customer agreed.

Say what you want about the Prince George's Police (they are... not good) but give them this: they know what a two dollar bill is, and what it looks like.

I bet I win this one. Really happened, too.

Gilshalos Sedai
07-30-2010, 08:43 AM
I'm frightened. Hold me.

~whipsers~ I see dumb people!

Basel Gill
07-30-2010, 09:10 AM
I actually got behind an old redneck in the pharmacy line the other day and he wanted to talk to the pharmacist.

His question: "I have a doctor's order for (some such test, I don't remember what it was) and the order says clear liquids only before the test. What exactly does that mean?"

I almost blew diet pepsi out of my nose right behind him. The pharmacy tech., obviously baffled, said that means you can only have liquids you can see through. And the dude says (and I shit you not),"like orange juice or coffee? or something different?"

What makes it worse, is this exchange continued for several more minutes while he listed all of his favorite (NOT CLEAR) beverages and got re-directed again and again. When he finally left (still not entirely certain what he could have), I told the tech. to take a second and chuckle, I waited this long and a few more minutes wouldn't kill me. :eek:

Ivhon
07-30-2010, 09:26 AM
Good thing Vodka is a clear liquid.

Sei'taer
07-30-2010, 09:35 AM
My best way of screwing people up is the pay for something that cost $4.91 with $5.01. If they don't have computer to calculate it for them it usually results in some very weird conversation.

pops taer
07-30-2010, 10:21 AM
Just remembered this true one. 2 or 3 times each week I stop at the local greasy spoon for breakfast or coffee and buy a paper. I went to the register to get change to get the paper and handed the lady a one dollar coin. She looked at me like, "so what the hell is this?" I said it's a dollar coin and she wouldnt believe me. This is a 45 year old woman with 3 years of collge. I finally convinced her and she took the coin. Imagine her concern when I went to pay for my meal with 6 of the one dollar coins.

Basel Gill
07-30-2010, 11:01 AM
It seriously amazes me how ignorant people are of the world around them. If it doesn't happen on Big Brother, American Idol or have to do with some tart in Hollywood going to jail or having a UFO baby, people just don't care anymore.

My wife constantly asks me why I read geeky books and watch nerdy shows and my answer is always that when we take a vacation to California and I can go on Jeopardy that I can clean up, but seriously, it's just good to know shit so you can get by in the world without looking like a total dumbass.

GonzoTheGreat
07-30-2010, 11:28 AM
It seriously amazes me how ignorant people are of the world around them. If it doesn't happen on Big Brother, American Idol or have to do with some tart in Hollywood going to jail or having a UFO baby, people just don't care anymore.That's not true, you know. At least some of them (Paris Hilton, Lady Gaga, to name but two) are from New York instead.

Basel Gill
07-30-2010, 11:41 AM
Well shit. Sorry. :D

GonzoTheGreat
07-30-2010, 11:51 AM
Well, to be fair to you, I don't think either of the two I mentioned has had a UFO baby, yet.

One Armed Gimp
07-30-2010, 03:15 PM
...it's just good to know shit so you can get by in the world without looking like a total dumbass.

Hate to tell you, but you are on the wrong end. The other side thinks you look like a dumbass and there are more of them.

The biggest reason I hate my job is that I support people that make more money than me and have no brains.

Lady said her monitor was not working, I asked her all the right questions and she answered them the way she thought she should. Ended up, not surprisingly, that the monitor was unplugged. Some people get embarassed, but this woman was dumbfounded and quite literally asked me: "Oh, that can cause that?".

I really should not be surprised though, our computers are set to turn on automagically overnight so our users don't have to. We get plenty of calls about a computer not working that just failed to turn on. Simple push of the power button fixes that, but they admit they don't even know how to turn it on.

P.S. Basel - Glad you liked it.

Sei'taer
07-30-2010, 04:42 PM
it's just good to know shit so you can get by in the world without looking like a total dumbass.

My wife is constantly amazed by the amount of useless shit I know.

Hopper
07-30-2010, 11:46 PM

I'm constantly amazed by the useless people you know.

jason wolfbrother
07-31-2010, 01:38 PM
I really should not be surprised though, our computers are set to turn on automagically overnight so our users don't have to.

I think I see the problem :cool: ;)

bowlwoman
07-31-2010, 03:28 PM
Here's one I heard today at my parents' house. BTW, Hi, Pops! I'm just 45 minutes away from you right now!

In the 1930s, my great-grandfather had an old car, and the gas tank rusted out. Times being hard, he found a used tank and attached it to the fuel line, but rather than spend the time welding it to the underside frame, he just plopped it in the backseat of the car.

He stopped at a local gas station one day to get gas, and the attendant came running out to pump the gas. Before my great-gpa could tell him he didn't need assistance or about the location of the new tank, the attendant opened the gas tank cap and stopped short.

"Mister," the attendant asked, "did you know you've lost your gas tank?"

To which my great-gpa replied, "Oh my! I better get right home and see what happened to it!" He then drove off, leaving the attendant standing there open-mouthed. He drove down the street and filled up his tank at a different station.

Now, while people today might think my great-gpa was the idiot for having a gas tank the backseat of the car, in those days people did that kind of stuff all the time, making their own car repairs any way that they could.

Firseal
07-31-2010, 09:36 PM

Hey, Sei'taer, Basil Gil, OAG, any of you watch The Colony on the Discovery Channel? Oddly, from this conversation, I think you guys would like it.

Terez
07-31-2010, 10:40 PM
Somebody needs to reassure me that these are all jokes before I can laugh...

The McDonalds one just depressed me horribly.
It happens to me all the time, if not with a manager involved. I bitched about this on the 'little things thread', and though IIRC I used a slightly more convoluted example that involved getting a quarter back instead of a nickel and some pennies, Crispy said he's glad he's not a cashier in my town.

Tonight I went to the store to get a drink, and their credit card line went down when they ran my debit card, and the cash register got stuck to where she couldn't ring anything else up, and she said it happened every now and then and that they'd have to wait for it to unfreeze before she could ring us up. Well, the people behind me had cash, and I had cash too. Me paying in cash to get the hell out of there would have required leaving her 66 but I wasn't too concerned about it, and another girl behind me had a drink, and the cashier knew the price for that with tax, so she let her go.

Another guy had two six-packs of beer. They were $5.49 apiece. She said he would have to wait cause she couldn't figure out exactly how much his would be. I said, 'Um, it's $10.98 plus tax. Tax on that would be, um...77, so um...$11.75.' So the dude slaps down $11.75 exactly on the counter, and the cashier has a fit. 'YOU HAVE TO WAIT! I CAN'T BE SURE HOW MUCH YOURS WILL BE!' So of course dude took his money and left.

bowlwoman
08-01-2010, 01:44 AM
Cashiers and money make my ass twitch. I worked a McD's drive-thru in high school, and I had that shit down so that I could take an order at the back sink washing out the tea dispenser, give them the total (including tax) off the cuff, race back to the window, and key in the order before they pulled around the corner.

OK...another true story. My aunt told me a story about a guy in New Mexico who wanted to buy tickets to the 1996 Atlanta Olympics. So, he called up the US Olympic Committee and told the operator, "Hi, my name is So Andso from New Mexico, and I want to buy tickets to the Olympics." The operator said, "Sir, you'll have to call your own country's Olympic committee." He replied, "Yes, I'm from New Mexico." "Sir, as I said, you'll have to call your own country's Olympic committee." "Can I speak to a supervisor please?" ... Supervisor gets on the line. "How can I help you?" "Hi, my name is So Andso from New Mexico, and I want to buy tickets to the Olympics." "Sir, you'll have to call your own country's Olympic committee." The poor guy had to go through 2 supervisors before he finally found someone who knew that New Mexico was a US state.

So, I was telling my roommates this story (I was a sophomore in college), and laughing at the sheer idiocy of the schmucks who worked for the USOC, and one of my roommates said, "Um, I didn't know New Mexico was a state..."

I said, "Oh," and left the room.

GonzoTheGreat
08-01-2010, 04:29 AM
Another guy had two six-packs of beer. They were $5.49 apiece. She said he would have to wait cause she couldn't figure out exactly how much his would be. I said, 'Um, it's $10.98 plus tax. Tax on that would be, um...77, so um...$11.75.' So the dude slaps down $11.75 exactly on the counter, and the cashier has a fit. 'YOU HAVE TO WAIT! I CAN'T BE SURE HOW MUCH YOURS WILL BE!' So of course dude took his money and left.Absolutely ridiculous. Does no one have any brains at all in your country?

Over here, the price you see in the shop is the price you have to pay. Taxation (which is generally considered something that isn't optional*) is included in it.
What reason could there be for not adding this to the price tag immediately?

OK...another true story. My aunt told me a story about a guy in New Mexico who wanted to buy tickets to the 1996 Atlanta Olympics. So, he called up the US Olympic Committee and told the operator, "Hi, my name is So Andso from New Mexico, and I want to buy tickets to the Olympics." The operator said, "Sir, you'll have to call your own country's Olympic committee." He replied, "Yes, I'm from New Mexico." "Sir, as I said, you'll have to call your own country's Olympic committee." "Can I speak to a supervisor please?" ... Supervisor gets on the line. "How can I help you?" "Hi, my name is So Andso from New Mexico, and I want to buy tickets to the Olympics." "Sir, you'll have to call your own country's Olympic committee." The poor guy had to go through 2 supervisors before he finally found someone who knew that New Mexico was a US state.

So, I was telling my roommates this story (I was a sophomore in college), and laughing at the sheer idiocy of the schmucks who worked for the USOC, and one of my roommates said, "Um, I didn't know New Mexico was a state..."The US has states?

* Though a lot of people might wish it were.

Ivhon
08-01-2010, 09:12 AM
Absolutely ridiculous. Does no one have any brains at all in your country?

Watch Idiocracy - note that I am nearly 40 and childless...'Taer has...how many kids?

Over here, the price you see in the shop is the price you have to pay. Taxation (which is generally considered something that isn't optional*) is included in it.
What reason could there be for not adding this to the price tag immediately?

1. $9.99 is easier to sell than $10.76
2. Adding tax at the register prevents conspiracy theories about how much the government is taking in taxes, "You know that $10.76 thang you just bought? I just found out that $12 of that is going to Obama in TAXES!! NEY TIK ARE YOBB!!!!

The US has states?

* Though a lot of people might wish it were.

I had a room-mate from NYC in high school who literally thought Tennessee and Texas were geographically right next to each other. This at one of the most elite secondary schools in the US. Can only shake your head.

GonzoTheGreat
08-01-2010, 09:36 AM
1. $9.99 is easier to sell than $10.76Shop keepers in Europe have sense enough to ask eleven Euro ninety-nine in such a case. That means that the tax man gets a few cents more too, of course, but hey, ease of use has a price.

pops taer
08-01-2010, 09:42 AM
During my time as a restaurant manager at several different locations I taught many how to handle making change properly. Also, how to figure prices with tax to keep things moving in line.

The change method was handled by simply breaking out $20.00 in bills and change and working from there. The price figuring is a bit more complicated but not much. Mostly knowing the tax rate, adding up the prices and multiplying, if the tax rate is 7%, by 1.7. Funny how it works if you are properly taught. Now here is the weird part. I taught a 4th year college student this method and she was a math major. A few years back I taught a very successful business man the difference between markup and profit margin. You guys all know there is a difference I bet.

Pops

Zaela Sedai
08-01-2010, 10:54 AM
Shop keepers in Europe have sense enough to ask eleven Euro ninety-nine in such a case. That means that the tax man gets a few cents more too, of course, but hey, ease of use has a price.

Gonzo - something tells me you have a single sales tax in your country, does your stuff come in tagged pre-tax from the manufactuer? Or do they tag everything?

All of our states have different sales tax rates, from 0 -10+% everything that comes in from the manufactuer is pre priced for the most part and most stores ring up by bar code meaning it has to be standardized. We have prices on the shelves, or on manufactuer tags for the most part, and the effort to retag EVERYTHING in a store seems asseninewhen the register just does it for you.

Also some states tax food, some don't, some have price limits on clothes before they tax, some don't. Taking that in to consideration it doesn't seem beneficial for a store, especially chain stores to go through the hassel of what you guys do over there.

IIRC last time I was in Canada it worked the same way...but its been a while

GonzoTheGreat
08-01-2010, 11:12 AM
The price figuring is a bit more complicated but not much. Mostly knowing the tax rate, adding up the prices and multiplying, if the tax rate is 7%, by 1.7. Funny how it works if you are properly taught. Now here is the weird part. I taught a 4th year college student this method and she was a math major. A few years back I taught a very successful business man the difference between markup and profit margin. You guys all know there is a difference I bet.I do, at least. It is that the price should be 1.07, not 1.7, times the non-taxed price with a tax rate of 7%.

Gonzo - something tells me you have a single sales tax in your country, does your stuff come in tagged pre-tax from the manufactuer? Or do they tag everything?Ehrm, yes?

We do in principle have the same sales tax in the whole country. On the other hand, our country isn't much bigger than some of your states, and smaller than most. And taxation in the EU is not standardised, so for the entire "common market" things will still have to be individually priced per country, and possibly also per shop/chain. Even here in the Netherlands, if you want to buy the newest Britney CD (just to name a random article), you can find three or more different prices in at least as many stores, all of them ending in 99 cents. All with tax included.

Some other products do come pre-priced right from the factory, though.
All of our states have different sales tax rates, from 0 -10+% everything that comes in from the manufactuer is pre priced for the most part and most stores ring up by bar code meaning it has to be standardized. We have prices on the shelves, or on manufactuer tags for the most part, and the effort to retag EVERYTHING in a store seems asseninewhen the register just does it for you.We have consumer protection. Specifically, in this case: the law says that consumers should see what they are going to have to pay for a product without doing to do their own arithmetic.
If a shop put things for sale without tax, then the consumer could buy it for that price, and let the shop worry about paying the taxes. Not good business, that, so amazingly few shops do this.

Also some states tax food, some don't, some have price limits on clothes before they tax, some don't. Taking that in to consideration it doesn't seem beneficial for a store, especially chain stores to go through the hassel of what you guys do over there.Well, we have here around 20% sales tax on many things (not on food, for instance), and most shops are willing to accept some hassle in return for not having to pay that 20% themselves.

You could look at Wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Value_added_tax) to see a list of the VAT rates in the EU and outside it. Something I learned from that is in Greece, the rate also depends on whether you're on the mainland or on one of the islands, and possibly even on which island.

Zaela Sedai
08-01-2010, 02:10 PM
We have consumer protection. Specifically, in this case: the law says that consumers should see what they are going to have to pay for a product without doing to do their own arithmetic.

~channels Gonzo~

So you're saying you guys aren't capable of doing your own arithmetic? I mean we have some stupid people in America, but the population overall knows the sales tax where they live and can do the math without issue.

~/stops channeling~

Neilbert
08-01-2010, 03:10 PM
In what way is that not a better system?

Sarevok
08-01-2010, 03:11 PM
~channels Gonzo~

So you're saying you guys aren't capable of doing your own arithmetic? I mean we have some stupid people in America, but the population overall knows the sales tax where they live and can do the math without issue.

~/stops channeling~

Uh... I consider myself quite good a maths, but multiplying by either 1.06 or 1.19, depending on what I buy is... not that easy.

Also, it's nice this came up. It might prevent some surprises when I ever go shopping in the US.

Ivhon
08-01-2010, 03:12 PM
~channels Gonzo~

~/stops channeling~

I think you give the population overall too much credit. I think the population overall knows that sales tax will be added, but hasn't the first clue about what local tax is or how to figure it.

Also, @ Gonzo, not only do different states have different sales taxes, but different municipalities within a state will as well. Makes it all the more difficult to come up with all the different bar codes necessary to have things come out in nice .99 endings after tax (although, if you are gonna do that, why not just round to the dollar?)

Sarevok
08-01-2010, 03:15 PM
I think you give the population overall too much credit. I think the population overall knows that sales tax will be added, but hasn't the first clue about what local tax is or how to figure it.

Also, @ Gonzo, not only do different states have different sales taxes, but different municipalities within a state will as well. Makes it all the more difficult to come up with all the different bar codes necessary to have things come out in nice .99 endings after tax
That would be a matter of having the store's computer coupling the right amount of money to the barcode.
(although, if you are gonna do that, why not just round to the dollar?)
Because "$9,99" looks like less than "$10,00".

Ivhon
08-01-2010, 03:33 PM
That would be a matter of having the store's computer coupling the right amount of money to the barcode.

Because "$9,99" looks like less than "$10,00".

To stupid people....and here we come full circle back to Idiocracy

Terez
08-01-2010, 03:50 PM
Uh... I consider myself quite good a maths, but multiplying by either 1.06 or 1.19, depending on what I buy is... not that easy.
It's easy enough to estimate, when the details are pennies. For example...tax here is 7%. All I do is multiply the dollar amount by 7 (easy enough to do in my head), and the precision on the pennies is not all that important unless you are figuring out exactly how much to charge someone. If you work in a store of some kind, it's easy enough to memorize the penny point at which the tax penny changes. If you are a consumer, chances are you don't care much about the pennies and you can easily estimate how much something costs by using the dollar amount method.

For example....something costs 11 bucks, that's 77. I think the penny point is .96 (been a while since I had it memorized), so the $10.98 purchase mentioned earlier is taxed the same as $11. Something costs $14.98...the penny point is the same, so tax would be $1.05. Don't know what 15x7 is? Most people's multiplication tables only go up to 11 for any given digit over 2, so that's believable...but all you have to do is think of it as 10x7 + 5x7. 70+35=105. Easy enough. If you have basic math skills, you can do it. If you are an idiot, then you need a calculator.

Ivhon
08-01-2010, 04:05 PM
It's easy enough to estimate, when the details are pennies. For example...tax here is 7%. All I do is multiply the dollar amount by 7 (easy enough to do in my head), and the precision on the pennies is not all that important unless you are figuring out exactly how much to charge someone. If you work in a store of some kind, it's easy enough to memorize the penny point at which the tax penny changes. If you are a consumer, chances are you don't care much about the pennies and you can easily estimate how much something costs by using the dollar amount method.

For example....something costs 11 bucks, that's 77. I think the penny point is .96 (been a while since I had it memorized), so the $10.98 purchase mentioned earlier is taxed the same as $11. Something costs $14.98...the penny point is the same, so tax would be $1.05. Don't know what 15x7 is? Most people's multiplication tables only go up to 11 for any given digit over 2, so that's believable...but all you have to do is think of it as 10x7 + 5x7. 70+35=105. Easy enough. If you have basic math skills, you can do it. If you are an idiot, then you need a calculator.

OWWW! My balls....!

Terez
08-01-2010, 04:09 PM
Don't feel bad; I worked with plenty of people that needed a calculator to figure 10%.

bowlwoman
08-01-2010, 07:10 PM
I had a room-mate from NYC in high school who literally thought Tennessee and Texas were geographically right next to each other. This at one of the most elite secondary schools in the US. Can only shake your head.

Well, they ARE listed one after the other in drop-down menus when you have to put your mailing address in a field online...And don't you know that alphabetical order ALWAYS translates to positional order?????? /sarcasm

I know people who graduated from college who don't know where St. Louis is. "I know the East Coast and the West Coast...St. Louis is somewhere in the middle, right? But, I have no idea what state it's in." How can you pass a freshman level US history course and not understand Lewis and Clark? It's kinda a big deal, what with the LOUISIANA PURCHASE DOUBLING THE SIZE OF THE COUNTRY AND ALL. :)

Our tax rate is 8.25%, so I generally round it up to 10% when estimating costs. I know I'll be a little bit over, but then I also know that I'm sure to have enough money. I do the same thing when traveling overseas. I estimate the exchange rate a little on the high side by rounding up so I always wind up spending a little less than I've estimated. Makes for a nice surprise when the bank statement comes in. :)

Ivhon
08-01-2010, 07:28 PM
Well, they ARE listed one after the other in drop-down menus when you have to put your mailing address in a field online...And don't you know that alphabetical order ALWAYS translates to positional order?????? /sarcasm

I know people who graduated from college who don't know where St. Louis is. "I know the East Coast and the West Coast...St. Louis is somewhere in the middle, right? But, I have no idea what state it's in." How can you pass a freshman level US history course and not understand Lewis and Clark? It's kinda a big deal, what with the LOUISIANA PURCHASE DOUBLING THE SIZE OF THE COUNTRY AND ALL. :)

Our tax rate is 8.25%, so I generally round it up to 10% when estimating costs. I know I'll be a little bit over, but then I also know that I'm sure to have enough money. I do the same thing when traveling overseas. I estimate the exchange rate a little on the high side by rounding up so I always wind up spending a little less than I've estimated. Makes for a nice surprise when the bank statement comes in. :)

good to know

bowlwoman
08-01-2010, 09:42 PM
good to know

Yeah, and it's convenient that Travis and Williamson counties have the same tax rate, since so many peeps work in one county and live in the other.

GonzoTheGreat
08-02-2010, 05:32 AM
So you're saying you guys aren't capable of doing your own arithmetic? I mean we have some stupid people in America, but the population overall knows the sales tax where they live and can do the math without issue.On what, apart from wishful thinking, do you base your rosy view of the arithmetical capabilities of your compatriots? :D

Sei'taer
08-02-2010, 04:43 PM
Tennessee sales tax is 9.25%, so its easy to figure if you just go with 10%.

GonzoTheGreat
08-03-2010, 04:49 AM
Tennessee sales tax is 9.25%, so its easy to figure if you just go with 10%.Not accurate, though, which is needed if you want to know what you actually have to pay.

Sei'taer
08-03-2010, 09:09 AM
Not accurate, though, which is needed if you want to know what you actually have to pay.

Close enough though that if you can't figure the 9.25% then you can at least get close with 10%. I work with percentages so much (and was taught the Pops Taer method of percentages along with a lot of other things that we won't go into right now) that I can figure it out pretty easy.

When you're in the states, you just have to remember that in most of them you will have to have about 10% for taxes. Most states are lower and I think a couple don't have state sales tax, but it's really pretty easy to figure out.