PDA

View Full Version : California is SO blond

Frenzy
08-03-2010, 12:45 AM
like ohmigawd what a totally awesome concept!
Calif. adopts common national education standards
The Associated Press
Posted: 08/02/2010 08:27:02 PM PDT
Updated: 08/02/2010 08:27:03 PM PDT

SACRAMENTO, Calif.—The California State Board of Education has approved common national academic standards in a move that should also bolster the state's chances of getting federal school reform dollars.

Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger praised the board's unanimous vote Monday saying the standard's "maintain California's high expectations and our belief that every student is capable of success in the classroom."

The Obama administration has pushed for common standards. States that adopt them score higher in the battle for "Race to the Top" grant money. California is currently a finalist in that competition.

Critics worried the common standards weren't as stringent as California's framework.

The board also voted to direct the state Education Department to create an implementation plan.
So, to get a chance at the sugar daddy federal money, Cali had to dumb down it's standards. Play dumb and conform, and you may get some money.

Next the dumbasses at the State are going to marvel at how much better test scores are a year after the new dumbed-down national standards are adopted, and pat themselves on the back for their good work.

This is the same state that has for it's high school exit exam the requirement to pass a test of 8th grade English and 10th grade Math. And that's now, before the dumbing down.

GonzoTheGreat
08-03-2010, 04:57 AM
This is the same state that has for it's high school exit exam the requirement to pass a test of 8th grade English and 10th grade Math. And that's now, before the dumbing down.And at the moment, California's standard is higher than that of most (all?) other states, right?

Gilshalos Sedai
08-03-2010, 08:59 AM
I'd tell you to move to Texas, but our school board is rewriting history to suit itself.

Sei'taer
08-03-2010, 09:02 AM
Tennessee is trying to get that money too. I think standardized tests are a shitty way of gauging what's going on with students anyway. If you teach for the test then that's all you get. I think teachers and students should be evaluated based on students overall grades. Camel and I talked about this at J-con.

bowlwoman
08-03-2010, 10:03 AM
I'd tell you to move to Texas, but our school board is rewriting history to suit itself.

Yeah, and that entire can of worms is why we're seriously considering putting our girls in private school. My husband and I have been having the public vs private school debate for years, but this may be the thing that finally tips the scales in his favor (I was public school all the way, including undergrad and grad school, but he did private Catholic high school, went to USC and is starting an MBA program through Baylor in a few weeks).

Our older daughter will be four in October, so we still have a year or two to figure out what we want to do. I'm seriously ticked at the Texas State School Board, though, because their changes are majorly f'ed up.

For anyone not following the debacle, here's a linky: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/37271857/

Ivhon
08-03-2010, 10:23 AM
Yeah, and that entire can of worms is why we're seriously considering putting our girls in private school. My husband and I have been having the public vs private school debate for years, but this may be the thing that finally tips the scales in his favor (I was public school all the way, including undergrad and grad school, but he did private Catholic high school, went to USC and is starting an MBA program through Baylor in a few weeks).

Our older daughter will be four in October, so we still have a year or two to figure out what we want to do. I'm seriously ticked at the Texas State School Board, though, because their changes are majorly f'ed up.

For anyone not following the debacle, here's a linky: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/37271857/

Depending on which Elementary school, I don't think the debacle will necessarily affect kids during elementary.

The missus and I have been discussing that as well, and we don't even have kids yet. Of course, when we do we are lucky in that they will get to go to Casis. After that, I am going to assert my boarding school creds and make as big a push as possible.

Sinistrum
08-03-2010, 10:39 AM
The public school system (especially in Texas) is a joke and completely incapable of dealing with any of the issues kids with even a modicum of intelligence face (bullying, boredom in class, opportunities for academic advancement outside the lowest common denominator). If and when I have kids, I will most definitely put them in a private school. I don't care if I have to sell organs on the black market to do it.

Basel Gill
08-03-2010, 11:41 AM
A highly nationalized (in terms of curriculum), largely government influenced institution that is failing at its job? Hmmm ;)

Ivhon
08-03-2010, 11:45 AM
A highly nationalized (in terms of curriculum), largely government influenced institution that is failing at its job? Hmmm ;)

Not sure how much you can blame the feds on this one, Basel. Ultimately, curriculum is primarily set by TX and CA state legislatures. Local and state government is more influential in standards, responses and curricula than are the feds. IE what Sini was talking about in TX is a mix of State and local school board.

EDIT: Of course, if you are implying that State Govt. is as inept and incompetent as Federal, I think I could be right with you. I think that an over-represented proportion of the silliest people in politics are governors: My own seccessionist, Bobby why-should-we-pay-for-a-volcano-in-Alaska-BUTGIMMEMONEYFORTHISHURRICANE Jindal, and of course the woman who need not be mentioned

Frenzy
08-03-2010, 11:56 AM
Standardized standards are bullshit if someone has to lower their standards to comply. When it comes to environmental laws, if the state standards are higher/stricter than the federal ones then the state ones take precedent. Why can't California keep it's more stringent standards and still compete for the federal sugar daddy money?

Could it be because someone at the federal level has a bee up their nose about a larger percentage than average of Cali students not meeting state standards? (cuz the standards are higher, duh)

Could it be because Cali & Texas are THE largest child population states, and textbook companies write their books to their standards then sell them nation-wide?

i'm keeping my kids in public school, and i'm supplementing what they learn with stuff from home. The recent idiocy hasn't changed that, other than maybe to make it more valuable.

GonzoTheGreat
08-03-2010, 11:59 AM
Standardized standards are bullshit if someone has to lower their standards to comply. When it comes to environmental laws, if the state standards are higher/stricter than the federal ones then the state ones take precedent. Why can't California keep it's more stringent standards and still compete for the federal sugar daddy money?Do not ascribe to malevolence what can be explained adequately by incompetence.
It is quite likely that whoever came up with the rules for portioning out sugar daddy's money simply did not consider the possibility of "higher standards".

bowlwoman
08-03-2010, 12:43 PM
Could it be because Cali & Texas are THE largest child population states, and textbook companies write their books to their standards then sell them nation-wide?

Yes.

Neilbert
08-03-2010, 01:08 PM
I haven't done anything more than cursory research... but how is "Race to the Top" different than "No Child Left Behind"?

Everything I've seen just suggests a rose by another name.

I really want one of those "Miss me yet?" George W Bush shirts, only on the back I want Obama on the back holding a can of Bush Light with the caption "Surprise Motherfucker!"

nameless
08-03-2010, 07:22 PM

Unfortunately, the Texas schoolboard is actually rewriting history for every public school in the country (and many private schools) so moving somewhere other than TX might not help the problem. Because they're a guaranteed buyer of such a large number of textbooks, the textbook manufacturers use the TX curriculum standards when deciding what to put in their history books, and none of the other states with lots of buying power are making enough of a fuss to make it worthwhile to print out "Texas versions" and "non-Texas versions," so pretty much every state in the Union ends up with the Texas version. Before too much longer we'll all be learning about the freedom fighters at the Alamo and their heroic quest to deregulate offshore drilling and no one will even remember that Texas is the only state in the Union to fight two different wars in pursuit of the right to own black people.

Ivhon
08-03-2010, 08:18 PM
Unfortunately, the Texas schoolboard is actually rewriting history for every public school in the country (and many private schools) so moving somewhere other than TX might not help the problem. Because they're a guaranteed buyer of such a large number of textbooks, the textbook manufacturers use the TX curriculum standards when deciding what to put in their history books, and none of the other states with lots of buying power are making enough of a fuss to make it worthwhile to print out "Texas versions" and "non-Texas versions," so pretty much every state in the Union ends up with the Texas version. Before too much longer we'll all be learning about the freedom fighters at the Alamo and their heroic quest to deregulate offshore drilling and no one will even remember that Texas is the only state in the Union to fight two different wars in pursuit of the right to own black people.

We prefer to call that "protecting the economic interests accrued from Atlantic Triangular Trading." We are very pro-business down here. That's all it was...business.