PDA

View Full Version : Look out, World!!

Ivhon
08-06-2010, 05:19 PM
I just secured my top choice of practicum site.

Which means that in just a few weeks I can start building my army of minio.....err...I get my first clients!

Terez
08-06-2010, 05:35 PM
YAYYYYY I'm moving to Austin now. You're free, right?

Crispin's Crispian
08-06-2010, 06:07 PM
YAYYYYY I'm moving to Austin now. You're free, right?

If you mean his schedule is open, yes. ;)

Ivhon
08-06-2010, 06:12 PM
My schedule is open.

I can't take money for another year.

I can't see anyone professionally that I know personally.

Terez
08-06-2010, 08:11 PM
Good thing we've never met then huh? :D

Brita
08-08-2010, 10:26 AM
Congratulations! How exciting! Welcome to life outside of school ;)

Birgitte
08-08-2010, 08:18 PM
Congratulations, Ivhon!

Davian93
08-08-2010, 08:22 PM
Congrats!

DahLliA
08-08-2010, 09:09 PM
congrats !

Firseal
08-08-2010, 09:25 PM
I am reminded of an old comic. I cannot find it, but it went something like this: Two characters are talking, and one states, "Alright, this is the day. Look out, world, here I come." He walks out the door.

Off panel, there are lots and lots of loud, crashing, ominous noises.

The character comes crawling back, obviously injured. His friend asks, "What happened?"

"It was looking out for me. Shouldn't have given it warning."

Good luck, Ivhon.

Ivhon
08-08-2010, 10:36 PM
Thank you for the best wishes!

I feel sorry for the poor sot who has the misfortune of being the first person to walk through my door...

bowlwoman
08-09-2010, 12:18 AM
Congrats! What's the addy? Maybe I'll swing by sometime...:D

yks 6nnetu hing
08-09-2010, 03:28 AM
congrats!

Sarevok
08-09-2010, 07:08 AM
*looks through thread*

Hmm, I was certain I already congratulated you, but apparently the hamsters ate it. :(

Belated congratulations, Ivhon! :)

WinespringBrother
08-09-2010, 08:53 AM
congrats!

Gilshalos Sedai
08-10-2010, 07:44 AM
Congrats, Ivhon!

Sei'taer
08-10-2010, 07:57 AM
Congrats, Brother! Does this mean that when we meet you're going to be analyzing me without my knowledge?

Ivhon
08-10-2010, 08:09 AM
Congrats, Brother! Does this mean that when we meet you're going to be analyzing me without my knowledge?

Who says I haven't already?

In all seriousness on that note, one of the sad things about this field is the difficulty therapists have in making new relationships. A very restrictive ethics code and the assumption/fear people (understandably, I suppose) have that I will constantly be getting inside their heads - already happenned a few times IRL.

Ah, well. They warned us this would happen.

Sei'taer
08-10-2010, 08:23 AM

In all seriousness on that note, one of the sad things about this field is the difficulty therapists have in making new relationships. A very restrictive ethics code and the assumption/fear people (understandably, I suppose) have that I will constantly be getting inside their heads - already happenned a few times IRL.

Meh, the old ladies best friend is a psychologist. She doesn't bother me a bit. I already know I'm fuckin' loonie so you can do whatever you do and it won't bother me.

yks 6nnetu hing
08-10-2010, 08:29 AM

meh. about half of Dai's friends are psychologists, although they're in research, not practice. iiiinteresting discussions about mass psychology and statistical analysis :eek:

Marie Curie 7
08-10-2010, 02:59 PM
Congrats!

So, are you doing an M.S. or Ph.D. or what exactly? (Just idle curiosity 'cause my ex-partner was a therapist with an M.S. in Counseling...)

Ivhon
08-10-2010, 03:03 PM
Congrats!

So, are you doing an M.S. or Ph.D. or what exactly? (Just idle curiosity 'cause my ex-partner was a therapist with an M.S. in Counseling...)

The degree will be M.A. in counseling with a dual-track for licensure (after internship and board exams) as a Licensed Professional Counselor (LPC) and Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist (LMFT).

Eventually I will get a doctorate, but need to make some money first :D

Sei'taer
08-10-2010, 04:07 PM
The degree will be M.A. in counseling with a dual-track for licensure (after internship and board exams) as a Licensed Professional Counselor (LPC) and Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist (LMFT).

You'll never be Doctor to me...you'll always be The-dude-who-didn't-know-how-to-spell-Ihvon.

Ivhon
08-10-2010, 04:15 PM
You'll never be Doctor to me...you'll always be The-dude-who-didn't-know-how-to-spell-Ihvon.

The fvck you say! That'll be DOCTOR-didn't-know-how-to-spell-Ihvon (as far as you know) to YOU, pal!!

Someday...

Davian93
08-10-2010, 05:03 PM
The fvck you say! That'll be DOCTOR-didn't-know-how-to-spell-Ihvon (as far as you know) to YOU, pal!!

Someday...

The annoying part is that his misspelling actually makes me screw it up on occasion. Coulda at least changed it when we all moved from EZBoard.

Mort
08-10-2010, 05:04 PM

Until someone mentioning counseling and psychology, I was sure you just took your bar exam. My bad :)

So, what's your take on CBT versus other forms? If that is at all near your specialty. :)

Ivhon
08-10-2010, 05:20 PM
Until someone mentioning counseling and psychology, I was sure you just took your bar exam. My bad :)

So, what's your take on CBT versus other forms? If that is at all near your specialty. :)

Bear in mind the limitations of the program - i.e. classwork is to prepare for board exams, clinical work and experience is left up to practicum - which I have not started.

With that caveat in mind, I think CBT can be a useful intervention depending on the goals of the client (or the restrictions of managed care/insurance). I think that its effectiveness and applicability are somewhat overblown (doesn't work on me, for example, for MDD recurring + Dysthemic Disorder). One certainly needs to be able to use it.

Left up to me, I prefer to take the DSM with a relatively large grain of salt. I would prefer to approach clients either systemically or existentially and save the CBT for crisis situations.

I try not to be black and white. I disapprove of the money-fueled turf wars between psychiatry and psychology and within the various psychological approaches themselves. My immediate impulse is to reject psychopharmacology out of hand and to be somewhat avoidant of CBT. However, if I take a moment I can remember that it is about what works for the client and both CAN be effective, even if they are waaay overused and overused respectively.

How's that for not taking a stand?

EDIT: Should also mention that it is waaay too early for me to have a specialty as yet. However, yesterday I secured a second practicum site that will provide training and supervision in Eidetic Imagery - which I think is kindof interesting.

Ishara
08-10-2010, 07:32 PM
Congrats!

Ivhon
08-24-2010, 05:21 PM
Update:

Saw my first 2 clients today (after having had to reschedule yesterday after I locked my keys in my car :o ).

I live. They live...and are coming back next week. No curveballs thrown at me (like someone showing up actively psychotic or manic) and I didn't make any glaring errors.

Off to the races, yo!

Zanguini
08-26-2010, 05:51 PM
Congrats ... I too got my top... and well only choice of practicum today. So after today I should be up to my regular post count...

Ivhon
08-26-2010, 06:43 PM
Congrats ... I too got my top... and well only choice of practicum today. So after today I should be up to my regular post count...

Awesomegrats right back atcha!