PDA

View Full Version : Tying off Gateways

NaeffOfDreams
08-14-2010, 11:43 AM
Do Grady and Neald know how to tie off weaves? This would be a simple way to move Perrin's group. I know they need to stay put for story reasons, but it irked me that they haven't thought to do that with a gateway. They said they could hold one open for maybe an hour holding saidin, but if they were to weave gateways and tie them off, they wouldn't have to hold on to the source and could continue to be tired in peace.

Sarevok
08-14-2010, 12:14 PM
There's a point where Perrin considers how tired the Asha'man with him are and he thinks about they have taken to tying off the gateways to save strenght. But I can't find it right now. :(

GonzoTheGreat
08-14-2010, 12:15 PM
Based on circumstantial evidence (mainly the fact that they don't tie off their Gateways), I would say that they don't know this trick. That said, I have no idea when Rand taught this to his Asha'man.

Sarevok
08-14-2010, 12:26 PM
Found it:
"Just tired a little, my Lord," Grady said wearily. He remained seated with his elbows on his knees. "All this Traveling we've been doing lately... Well, I couldn't have held the gateway open long enough for all those soldiers to ride through yesterday. That's why I've taken to tying them off."

nameless
08-14-2010, 05:36 PM
They know how to tie off Gateways, but Perrin's refugees were collected from all over Ghealdan so there's no way to get them all home with a small number of Gates. Besides, they may well be too exhausted for even that. Remember Rand the day after the battle of Carhien, or Nynaeve the week after the Cleansing. Recovery from that sort of thing takes time.

greatwolf
08-15-2010, 09:38 AM
A gate to send them where? Everyone's well aware now that TLB is on the way. If Perrin sent them off, especially via a tied off weave (aka dumps them off) they could be worse off. No home, no jobs and more importantly no protection from all the wild military currents that now abound.

Even banding together will not be enough for them now. They'll need protection. The sort that a taveren with AS and ashaman can provide. Not to mention about 6000 men under arms. It would be crazy to give that up.

I think Perrin is doomed to collect stray cats as he goes along. And Faile loves strays. :)

Terez
08-15-2010, 05:05 PM
I brought this up when TGS came out, but I think we eventually determined that RJ was the first one to make that particular mistake. I can't recall the quote; I'll look it up later.

lurk
09-02-2010, 04:24 AM
The main problem is that Neald and Grady cannot make very big gateways. the group they have to move is so massive (with carts and all) that even making like ten or twenty gateways and tying them of (assuming they can let them all open in the near vicinity of eachother) would still take several hours to move everybody.

Assuming their gateways can let like 50 people or two carts pass per minute that is only 3000 people or 120 carts or any combination of that an hour. Moving several tens of thousands with possibly 500 to a thousand carts would take very long indeed.

Enigma
09-04-2010, 09:37 AM
Its too bad the Asha'man with Perrin don't have the authority to request that they link with the Aes Sedai. Even if Perrin would allow it, I think the Wise Ones would refuse.

GonzoTheGreat
09-04-2010, 11:12 AM
I don't think any of them thought of it. If they did, then the Wise Ones themselves might be willing to do it. Especially if it let them learn how to Travel themselves.

nameless
09-04-2010, 02:51 PM
If they had thought of it, they would have been using it during the rescue instead of working themselves to exhaustion doing everything alone.

Weird Harold
09-04-2010, 03:27 PM
Its too bad the Asha'man with Perrin don't have the authority to request that they link with the Aes Sedai. Even if Perrin would allow it, I think the Wise Ones would refuse.
I think they do have the "authority" to ask. What theylack is the knowledge that it is possible or would be beneficial.

The Wise Ones with Perrin don't know how to link with men, and the Aes Sedai who probably do know (at least the theory) how to link with men aren't offering.

The most obvious solution to the need for more or bigger gateways for Perrins' refugees is for either Grady or Neald to return to Cairhein and either find out where Rand is (or leave a message for him) requesting more asha'man. Perrin might be able to give them a better starting point in finding Rand, but he'd have trouble explaining how he knew.