PDA

View Full Version : Goodbye Lou Pinella....

pops taer
08-23-2010, 09:24 AM
I watched him play for the Kansas City Royals and grow into the managerial rolls he took on. The following probably is so very true!!!!

Piniella gave his life to baseball, and baseball provided him with a life.
And if baseball is all about learning to deal with failure, I guess Wrigley
Field was a pretty good place to end it after all.

*...........Jon Greenberg, columnist for ESPNChicago.com.*

Zaela Sedai
08-23-2010, 05:38 PM
cant believe he's done... but man that quote is so right on!

Marie Curie 7
08-24-2010, 01:08 AM
Meh. That sounds to me like a sportswriter just trying to make a buck.

Lou Piniella by any comparison was a very successful manager in Chicago. Did he have to deal with failure? Yeah, since the Cubs never did advance during the post season under his watch. However, in the four years that he was manager, he led the Cubs to two straight division titles and winning seasons three out of four years. No Cubs manager in recent history has come close to that. Yeah, they suck big time this year...oh well. Shit happens.

That being said, it has been clear to anyone even remotely following the Cubs that Lou Piniella was just not into it this year. He has appeared to be asleep at the wheel most of the season. It has been intuitively obvious to even the most casual observer that he was done. But it appears that it has been primarily due to personal circumstances. Lou's uncle passed away earlier, a man who was apparently very much like a father to him. And recently, Lou's 90-year-old mother has been ailing, and Lou even took some time away from the team to be with her. Well, she hasn't really gotten any better, and Lou finally decided to call it quits before the end of the season to go be with her.

Was there pressure on Lou because of the long record of Cubs losers? Yeah, sure. Was there pressure on Lou because of stupid Cubs players having melt downs? Sure. But this is what he said when announcing his retirement:

"Didnít think my career would end this way but, you know, my mom needs me home. She hasnít gotten any better since Iíve been here. Sheís had a couple other complications, and rather than continue to go home, come backÖitís not fair to the team, itís not fair to the players. So the best thing is just to step down and go home and take care of my mother. Thatís basically it. Iíve enjoyed it here. In four wonderful years Iíve made a lot of friends and had some success here Ė this year has been a little bit of a struggle. But, look. Family is important, it comes first. My mom needs me home and thatís where Iím going. I thought that I could finish out the season. I thought at that time that we could still win a division. It hasnít worked out that way. At the same, time my motherís health came into the equation and things have changed. But, no, I didnít think that going home in, when was it? July. Itís only been a month. A month ago. A lot of things have changed in a month."

pops taer
08-24-2010, 10:00 AM
Marie,

For what it's worth, I took the quote to mean that Lou had learned to deal with the failure of the Cubs and it's organization. He has always been a quality guy in my eyes and I think he still is considering he bailed to go see that his Mother was properly taken care of.

Davian93
08-25-2010, 12:32 PM
Great Lou Pinella anecdote:

Back when Lou was still a player, he was arguing balls & strikes with the homeplate ump. After one particularly agregious call where a ball was called a strike, Lou turned and asked the Ump, "Where was that pitch at?"

The Ump replied, "A smart guy like you should know to never finish a sentence with a preposition."

Lou quickly retorted, "Okay, Where was that pitch at, A$$hole!"

He was then promptly ejected (a rarity for good ole Lou).

True Story.

Zaela Sedai
08-27-2010, 04:02 PM
LMAO thats classic