PDA

View Full Version : Blogging and Ebonics

Sei'taer
08-24-2010, 09:42 AM
If you blog, don't move to Philly.

Got a blog that makes no money? The city wants $300, thank you very much. (http://citypaper.net/articles/2010/08/19/blogging-business-privilege-tax-philadelphia)

And if you happen to speak fluent ebonics, then the DEA wants YOU! See my newizzle jozzible!! (http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5jZPlKkw4Nhv67cFrhAOY-NTbA4vgD9HPIDOO0)

Ozymandias
08-25-2010, 08:34 AM
Got no problem with this. The bloggers should stop receiving ad revenue, if they don't want to pay the fee. It seems to be pretty clearly stated in the tax code or wherever they've got this law hidden away. It is making a profit, and is profit oriented, so pony up.

I'm sure there is a way to reject all compensation from BlogSpot or whatever your blog host is in order to disqualify yourself as a small business.

Davian93
08-25-2010, 08:56 AM
I remember back when Philadelphia started making employees pay a wage tax if they worked within city limits..same with an employer tax if the company was within city limits. It pretty much destroyed the Center City portion of Philly for a couple decades. It took massive breaks to get them to come back after all the companies fled to Plymouth Meeting, KoP and other affluent suburbs.

That said, I agree with this. If you're receiving revenue from blogging, you pay taxes on it, end of story. Welcome to Adulthood.

GonzoTheGreat
08-25-2010, 09:04 AM
One might think that not paying more taxes than the income you've gotten might be nice, but that is a nitpick.
And I do admit that asking them to pay a big lump sum when they get started is a good way of preventing all those bloggers from posting things you don't want them to write about, so it actually makes sense too.

Sarevok
08-25-2010, 09:36 AM
That said, I agree with this. If you're receiving revenue from blogging, you pay taxes on it, end of story. Welcome to Adulthood.

The taxes I have no problem with, but paying a $300,- fee when you make $10 seems a little over the top.

Davian93
08-25-2010, 09:40 AM
The taxes I have no problem with, but paying a $300,- fee when you make $10 seems a little over the top.

Yeah, that's pretty excessive.

Hint: Philadelphia is pretty much broke and has a massive deficit.

Mort
08-25-2010, 03:30 PM
Hint: Philadelphia is pretty much broke and has a massive deficit.

They are probably within their tax/business laws to do so, but internet ads has been existing for some time now, time to get with the times and make the laws fair for the bloggers/whathaveyou as well.

The good thing is that stuff like this is what it takes (hopefully) to make changes.

Sei'taer
08-25-2010, 05:01 PM
They are probably within their tax/business laws to do so, but internet ads has been existing for some time now, time to get with the times and make the laws fair for the bloggers/whathaveyou as well.

The good thing is that stuff like this is what it takes (hopefully) to make changes.

Make changes to what?

nameless
08-25-2010, 09:37 PM
And if you happen to speak fluent ebonics, then the DEA wants YOU! See my newizzle jozzible!! (http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5jZPlKkw4Nhv67cFrhAOY-NTbA4vgD9HPIDOO0)

It may seem silly for the DEA to hire dialect experts, but imagine how much more silly it would be for them to miss an open and shut conviction because they couldn't convince a jury that "you give me the snow and I'll give you the papers" actually means "give me the cocaine and I'll give you money."

Sei'taer
08-25-2010, 10:12 PM
It may seem silly for the DEA to hire dialect experts, but imagine how much more silly it would be for them to miss an open and shut conviction because they couldn't convince a jury that "you give me the snow and I'll give you the papers" actually means "give me the cocaine and I'll give you money."

Where I come from, that's not dialect, thats how you talk.

Ozymandias
08-26-2010, 02:05 PM

Of course... if you make 10,000 dollars, its the same 300 dollar fee.

Again, just don't blog. Its stupid anyways. Or pay whatever tiny fee the blogging network wants to maintain your site without advertisements.

Crispin's Crispian
08-26-2010, 05:56 PM
Where I come from, that's not dialect, thats how you talk.

There's a lot more to dialect than common phrases or euphemisms. It's still apparently funny to talk about Ebonics, but it's a recognizable dialect of American English.

See Wikipedia, (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/African_American_Vernacular_English) especially:
Many features of AAVE are shared with English dialects spoken in the American South. While these are mostly regionalisms (i.e. originating from the dialect commonly spoken in the area, regardless of color), a number of them—such as the deletion of is—are used much more frequently by black speakers, suggesting that they have their origins in black speech.[8] The traits of AAVE that separate it from Standard American English (SAE) include:

* specific pronunciation features along definable patterns, many of which are found in creoles and dialects of other populations of West African descent and which also emerge in English dialects that may be uninfluenced by West African languages, such as Newfoundland English;
* distinctive vocabulary and
* distinctive use of verb tenses.

Sei'taer
08-26-2010, 10:06 PM
There's a lot more to dialect than common phrases or euphemisms. It's still apparently funny to talk about Ebonics, but it's a recognizable dialect of American English.

See Wikipedia, (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/African_American_Vernacular_English) especially:

Haven't I talked to you before? Maybe I was having a good day.

When you work around a certain type of person, you begin to pick up on the way they talk. I have learned a ton of spanish just being around the Mexicans I work with. Same with Blacks, they have a certain dialect they use with each other and at work, they use it extensively. It's not really anything odd or weird, it's just the way they talk to each other. Maybe its just done a lot more in the south? I also work around a lot of very country whites and sometimes I have a harder time understanding them than anyone else. I've picked up a lot of it from all of them and a lot of times, like when I'm tired or in a hurry, it tends to hang out a little...

Crispin's Crispian
08-27-2010, 04:15 PM
Haven't I talked to you before? Maybe I was having a good day.
Yes. I told you that you sounded like Elvis. And this was before I knew SoE.

When you work around a certain type of person, you begin to pick up on the way they talk. I have learned a ton of spanish just being around the Mexicans I work with. Same with Blacks, they have a certain dialect they use with each other and at work, they use it extensively. It's not really anything odd or weird, it's just the way they talk to each other. Maybe its just done a lot more in the south? I also work around a lot of very country whites and sometimes I have a harder time understanding them than anyone else. I've picked up a lot of it from all of them and a lot of times, like when I'm tired or in a hurry, it tends to hang out a little...

So you're saying that the DEA needs a country white translator and a southern spanish translator in addition to their ebonics translator?

Why can't everyone talk like we do in Oregon. We sound exactly like the people on TV.

Sei'taer
08-29-2010, 04:06 PM
So you're saying that the DEA needs a country white translator and a southern spanish translator in addition to their ebonics translator?.

Yes.

Why can't everyone talk like we do in Oregon. We sound exactly like the people on TV.

Because that's a poor excuse for a dialect.

GonzoTheGreat
08-30-2010, 04:33 AM
If you've paid in Philadelphia, and then you move to some other place where they also have such a "pay for free speech" scheme, does Philly then guarantee that you won't have to pay twice? I mean, it was a lifetime license, so it should be good for their whole life. Having Philadelphia declare war on Cincinnatti over blog taxes would liven up things. Plus, then you could get the Blog Party, 200 years from now.