PDA

View Full Version : GGK Question

Davian93
08-24-2010, 12:40 PM
Has anyone here (Ishara?) read the The Sarantine Mosaic? Its the only set of GGK books I haven't found in a store so I was wondering if it was worth ordering off Amazon or not.

From what I've read its a take on the Byzantine Empire and its set in the same universe as Lions of Al-Rassan, Last Light of the Sun.

Weird Harold
08-24-2010, 04:44 PM
Has anyone here (Ishara?) read the The Sarantine Mosaic? Its the only set of GGK books I haven't found in a store so I was wondering if it was worth ordering off Amazon or not.

From what I've read its a take on the Byzantine Empire and its set in the same universe as Lions of Al-Rassan, Last Light of the Sun.
That's probably my second favorite GGK work. If you're worried about the expense, check your local library and borrow it.

Kimon
08-24-2010, 06:14 PM

It was pretty good, though not quite as much so as Lions of Al-Rassan. It is very Byzantine, albeit with quite a bit of creative liberty. So if you know anything about Justinian, Theodora, Belisarius, and Procopius it will ring some bells.

It reads a lot like the Secret History of Procopius.

Last Light of the Sun (and the Fionavar books) are the only ones of his that I haven't read. Couldn't get any of them from my local library, or through inter-library loans, and was too lazy (or cheap) to buy.

Birgitte
08-24-2010, 08:26 PM
I read them and liked them. I'm not a huge GGK fan, but they were worth the read for me.

Davian93
08-25-2010, 08:45 AM
So far, out of all of his books, I was most disappointed by The Last Light of the Sun (which I recently finished). It just seemed like more of a short story than a novel. It was a good read but I wish it was simply the introduction to a series rather than squeezing an entire story into a couple hundred pages.

Lions was really good, Tigana is a classic of course, Under Heaven was really good, and I still havent gotten around to finishing Books 2 & 3 of Fionavar.

Ishara
09-01-2010, 08:37 AM

I don't know whether to laugh or cry...

Yes, it's set in the same world as Lions, and Last Light, albeit centuries earlier. In the Mosaic, there are no Asharites, but you meet Ashar, briefly - it makes for an interesting dynmaic.

It is easily one of my favourites, maybe a baby step below Lions. It's funny and heartbreaking and intensely intricate - you really have to think with this one to work out how byzantine these minds and their plots are - and oh, so lovely. The chariot racing is easily some of GGK's most eciting writing ever, and the research he put into the art of mosaic and the Hagia Sofia has made it one of my top 5 places to visit in the world (as well as Ravenna, Italy).

You get a really interesting lok at the dichotomy between the Old West and the New East with the "Roman" Empire, and a really fascinating peek into Persia...and also, my single most favourite female character in the GGK universe. Alixana. le sigh.

BUT, most importantly, I'll mail them to you to borrow if you like Dav - no buying necessary (and mine are signed!). Just PM me if you're interested.

On a seperate note, Last Light is supposed to leave you wanting more - it's written in the style most akin to the saga, and those stories never end, right? I found it less persoanlly engaging, but really enjoyed it the third time around; I was more prepared for the nuances of the story - less expecting of the personal interaction of Sarantium. The part that hurt the most for me was the grace note to the Mosaic, and it actually offended me enough to sour me on my first read. It's supposed to make you reflective of history and who writes it - further to the messsage of the Mosaic, but it just pissed me off the first time...

But, I for SURE recommend it. Just read Ysabel last.

Davian93
09-01-2010, 10:09 AM
I think I'll order them (or have them ordered for me for my birthday in a couple weeks). That'll complete the set of all of the GGK books anyway for me.

So far, I think its a close tie between Lions and Tigana for me as far as his books go...with Under Heaven also being very good.

On Fionavar, I'm gonna have to simply start over as I put them down for too long with side reads (I'm rereading Mistborn right now and I just reread New Spring and I'm trying to start up on WoT (at least to read KoD & TGS again) before the new release.