PDA

View Full Version : We've Always Been At War With Eastasia

Davian93
08-25-2010, 05:50 PM
http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,2013150,00.html

So, per the 9th Circuit Court, it is LEGAL for the gov't to sneak onto your property, plant a GPS device on your vehicle and then track your every move with said device...all without any sort of warrant.

I'm sure this power won't be abused.

Ivhon
08-25-2010, 06:14 PM
Well. Good thing we are all rich, right?

Davian93
08-25-2010, 06:17 PM
Well. Good thing we are all rich, right?

Well, I have 3 vehicles and only 2 fit in my locked garage so I guess I better check the 3rd one before driving anywhere.

I mean, I have no issue with the planting of a GPS...just get a damn warrant. Otherwise, its really freaky and policestate-esque.

Ivhon
08-25-2010, 06:22 PM
Well, I have 3 vehicles and only 2 fit in my locked garage so I guess I better check the 3rd one before driving anywhere.

I mean, I have no issue with the planting of a GPS...just get a damn warrant. Otherwise, its really freaky and policestate-esque.

Yeah...according to Facebook, teabaggers are already blaming Obama...even though I would be willing to bet that no more than one person on that court is an Obama appointee. If that.

Davian93
08-25-2010, 06:35 PM
Yeah...according to Facebook, teabaggers are already blaming Obama...even though I would be willing to bet that no more than one person on that court is an Obama appointee. If that.

From the article, I believe it said it was Reagan, Bush and Clinton appointees...but its clearly the black guy's fault!!!

http://blog.andyblume.com/img/gmm-bs2.jpg

nameless
08-25-2010, 06:56 PM
Every knows that real Americans have white picket fences. If you don't have a fence, you're not a real American, so you don't get any rights. Also, the neighbor's dog is allowed to crap on your lawn and there's nothing you can do about it.

Frenzy
08-25-2010, 09:01 PM
this is SO messed up. Get a damn search warrant; they're not hard to get.

GonzoTheGreat
08-26-2010, 04:13 AM
Look on the bright side: if you have no expectation of privacy in such cases, then this means that you can also plant tracking devices on your neighbour's car. It will make things lots easier for paparazzi too, if they can simply see on their laptop were every celebrity is hanging out.

No reason that I can see to think this power is limited to the government only.
For that matter: why not plant tracking devices on the judges' cars, and then put their movements in real time on JudgeWatch.com? I'm sure they'll really enjoy that.

Davian93
08-26-2010, 06:28 AM
Look on the bright side: if you have no expectation of privacy in such cases, then this means that you can also plant tracking devices on your neighbour's car. It will make things lots easier for paparazzi too, if they can simply see on their laptop were every celebrity is hanging out.

No reason that I can see to think this power is limited to the government only.
For that matter: why not plant tracking devices on the judges' cars, and then put their movements in real time on JudgeWatch.com? I'm sure they'll really enjoy that.

Somehow I think that they'd quickly find that to be a 4th amendment violation...odd how that works. Kinda like how we supposedly have no right to privacy in any public space but they try to make it illegal to videotape police officers in public. I guess if you have a uniform and a gun you get more privacy rights than the average citizen.

Ivhon
08-26-2010, 07:16 AM
There are some interesting implications for this in Texas.

To wit - what happens when I grab my 12ga. and blow the fed's head off as he bugs my car? Precedent here gives me the right to shoot first and ask questions later when someone - particularly if that fed happens to be brown - trespasses on me or my neighbor's property.

GonzoTheGreat
08-26-2010, 07:29 AM
And without a warrant, they may not even be able to claim that he was doing his official duty, so that cop may then end up in the statistics as a killed criminal. Which, in turn, means that his widow doesn't get any compensation. So all in all, a clear win for the government in these difficult economic terms. Either they get to bug all their citizens with impunity, or they don't have to pay out any pensions.

Davian93
08-26-2010, 07:44 AM

To wit - what happens when I grab my 12ga. and blow the fed's head off as he bugs my car? Precedent here gives me the right to shoot first and ask questions later when someone - particularly if that fed happens to be brown - trespasses on me or my neighbor's property.

I really wish VT practiced Castle Law...stupid hippies. I have to drag the intruder inside my house and plant a weapon on him before I can finish him off.

GonzoTheGreat
08-26-2010, 07:56 AM
I really wish VT practiced Castle Law...stupid hippies. I have to drag the intruder inside my house and plant a weapon on him before I can finish him off.A proper cop would bring his own weapon, you know.

Basel Gill
08-26-2010, 08:42 AM
I don't know what kind asswipe could seriously uphold this kind of intrusion. Eastasia indeed.

Sei'taer
08-26-2010, 10:34 AM
And without a warrant, they may not even be able to claim that he was doing his official duty, so that cop may then end up in the statistics as a killed criminal. Which, in turn, means that his widow doesn't get any compensation. So all in all, a clear win for the government in these difficult economic terms. Either they get to bug all their citizens with impunity, or they don't have to pay out any pensions.

Depends on what state they are in and if they are part of a union. In some union states, if you are convicted of a crime and sent to jail, you can still collect compensation. In the case of the Grim Sleeper (http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_162-20014446-504083.html), if convicted, he will still draw over a million dollars from his benefits package as a gov't employee.

Brita
08-26-2010, 11:25 AM
Insane! How could this ruling possibly happen?!? Sometimes your country really scares me...

Davian93
08-26-2010, 11:27 AM
Insane! How could this ruling possibly happen?!? Sometimes your country really scares me...

No idea...and it is a "conservative" judge that was the dissenting vote. Another sick intrusion on basic 4th Amendment rights by an increasingly authortarian gov't.

Our society is so scared of everything that they've willingly given up many of their rights in the name of safety.

Brita
08-26-2010, 11:29 AM
No idea...and it is a "conservative" judge that was the dissenting vote.

Well, I am really thankful for that dissenting voice coming from a convervative. It will mean more I think, given the climate of your political scene right now.

Davian93
08-26-2010, 11:38 AM
Well, I am really thankful for that dissenting voice coming from a convervative. It will mean more I think, given the climate of your political scene right now.

The problem is that there has been a slow and steady push for an Imperialist central gov't since around WWII to present...this has picked up markedly since the end of Vietnam to PRES.

Obama's SCOTUS appointments are both believers in a strong central gov't and neither will do anything to push our Judiciary back to the Middle if and when this case comes before them. I'm actually somewhat hopeful that Roberts wing will reverse this but I somewhat doubt it.

nameless
08-26-2010, 05:30 PM

Actually, precedent is that someone who kills a law enforcement officer in the line of duty gets sent up the creek no matter how many laws that officer was breaking.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No-knock_warrant

The last example they list under "controversy" is particularly illuminating. Officers had a no-knock warrant, but they went to the wrong address, broke into the wrong house, and then killed the resident when he thought they were armed robbers and pointed a gun at them. They were all acquited.

Crispin's Crispian
08-26-2010, 06:31 PM
I don't know what kind asswipe could seriously uphold this kind of intrusion. Eastasia indeed.

Just one more reason to take the bus or walk. ;)

Hey, remember this (http://www.dailytech.com/Oregon+Looks+to+Legislate+GPS+Mileage+Tax+Faces+Pr ivacy+Fears/article13819.htm)? Maybe this is just an end run.

StrangePackage
08-26-2010, 10:27 PM
Eh, officers could follow you around all day without a warrant, too.

This is just the technological logical next step of that.

I don't like it, but unless we get a Kyllo-esque ruling from the Supreme Court to can this, it will continue.