PDA

View Full Version : Laptop Advice

Ivhon
08-27-2010, 05:05 PM
I am thinking I need to buy one and have never actually purchased a laptop before.

Any advice on what brands to avoid or lean to?

Davian93
08-27-2010, 06:35 PM
I used to have a Toshiba and I hated it.

Pretty anecdotal though.

Firseal
08-27-2010, 08:12 PM
It depends on what you want the laptop to do, and where you want it to go.

If all you need is minor computing in other buildings, then that is one concern.

If you want internet access and use of the computer anywhere, it is a matter of battery life - you might want a lot - and how powerful wifi you have aboard.

Basically, any concerns you would have about getting a secondary computer plus concerns about how it travels and the amount of performance you get in different locations.

Or, in simpler terms, what do you need?

reTaardad
08-28-2010, 10:27 AM
Any advice on what brands to avoid or lean to?
Like Firseal said, it's all about what you're using it for. If you're going to be mobile a lot, you'll probably want a netbook. Those are basically lightweight, miniature laptops with low power usage and compact operating systems. In that category, I'd recommend an Asus Eee PC with Windows XP; if you're familiar with Linux, though, you should go with that.

For something bigger, I've had two HPs and haven't had any problems with them except for bad power cords occasionally. I like to have a big screen with big memory and big hard drive (what can I say, I'm an American :D). You can go with a MacBook Pro, if you're into Apple, but they can get kind of pricey. The hardware is usually good and the casing never wears out, but the software tends to be buggy in my experience. Other good brands are Sony and Samsung, I know several people with VAIOs and they love them. And again, Asus is fantastic in this category, but their full size laptops tend to run on the more expensive side.

Stay away from Toshiba, Compaq, Acer, and Dell, I've never had good experiences with any of those brands. Their hardware is typically second rate and come loaded with tons of foistware.

Basically, just shop deals for a few weeks; never buy a laptop at full price because it's guaranteed to be obsolete within a year at most. If you can, try to buy from Amazon, the customer reviews are a good source to measure by and they typically have the best deals.

Anaiya Sedai
08-28-2010, 01:52 PM
My craptop is an Advent.

Davian93
08-28-2010, 01:53 PM
I like my Dell because it was cheap and I dont really worry about it breaking as I'll just replace it with another cheap Dell. I could buy 3 of my Dell for 1 Mac so it was an easy decision.

Ivhon
08-28-2010, 02:43 PM
Yeah. Definitely not buying a Mac at this point. Way too pricey. Probably gonna go with an Asus - although I cant seem to find one of those nifty bamboo case ones with a big screen.

Shopping for deals right now....particularly looking for yummy educational discounts - although those are harder to find for hardware.

Zaela Sedai
08-30-2010, 08:00 PM
I love my TOshiba... they've come a long way... Toshiba and HP , I'm okay with Dell, but i prolly won't buy another just because I can get better specs (read the ones I want) stock in another compy for less.

Just get a Intel Core i7 if you are going to game on the laptop... GW runs amazingly with it. Its actually too fast for this GW so GW2.... CANT WAIT!

Davian93
08-30-2010, 08:53 PM
I love my TOshiba... they've come a long way... Toshiba and HP , I'm okay with Dell, but i prolly won't buy another just because I can get better specs (read the ones I want) stock in another compy for less.

Just get a Intel Core i7 if you are going to game on the laptop... GW runs amazingly with it. Its actually too fast for this GW so GW2.... CANT WAIT!

My Toshiba was bought in 2002...it had major issues with the battery and overheating (it would literally shutdown fairly often as a result of that despite me cleaning out the fan, trying to keep it cool, etc.) I basically ended up using it by having it sit on a frozen cooler ice pack wrapped in a towel so the processor wouldn't overheat). Though, I did get nearly 6 years out of it so there's that. Seriously though, it would burn your hand to touch the bottom of it at times. From Googling the model, I did notice that it was an issue specific to that model and was not a Toshiba thing itself.

Ivhon
08-30-2010, 09:54 PM
Getting a well rounded Asus.

Core i5. NVIDIA GT 335 vid card (I think). 4gb ram. 500mb hd. 17" 1600x900 screen. Windows 7 64 bit. With various other yadayadas of varying importance.

Aside from the display, it is actually going to be a bit better than my desktop...which I built 3.5 years ago.

Mort
08-30-2010, 10:08 PM
I'm on my second Dell right now. They are pretty good. Although this one I have now have become quite old and the battery has more or less given up. Have to use the cord all the time now. That is expected of a laptop after enough time though... Dying for a new one.

One of the few requirements (except for stability and general quality that is) is that it needs to be smaller than 15.4" which mine is now. At least it needs to be lighter, which you get by having it smaller. Mine clocks in at about 6 pounds. Doesn't seem like much but it isn't really that fun to carry around in a shoulder bag with a book or two plus other computer stuff you might want to lug around.

Other than that, I find Dell, HP, Sony Asus, Acer are all okay brands. Apple does fine too if you are into that sort of thing ;) Apple and Sony Vaio are probably the most expensive laptops though.

It's more important to find the comp that suits your needs best so you don't spend more than you need.

Anaiya Sedai
08-31-2010, 05:06 AM
My Toshiba was bought in 2002...it had major issues with the battery and overheating (it would literally shutdown fairly often as a result of that despite me cleaning out the fan, trying to keep it cool, etc.) I basically ended up using it by having it sit on a frozen cooler ice pack wrapped in a towel so the processor wouldn't overheat). Though, I did get nearly 6 years out of it so there's that. Seriously though, it would burn your hand to touch the bottom of it at times. From Googling the model, I did notice that it was an issue specific to that model and was not a Toshiba thing itself.
Satellite? I had one of those... :mad:
but my Advent has the same problem. Hence the search for a new one.

I hear ya!

DahLliA
08-31-2010, 06:42 AM
stay away from Acer. can recommend Asus though. never had any problems with that

Sei'taer
08-31-2010, 09:10 AM
I have a work issued Dell Axim X51v PDA (http://www.google.com/products/catalog?rlz=1T4SUNA_enUS246US249&q=dell+axim+x51v&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=15725069824406847834&ei=9v58TI-WFsX7lwe768jsCw&sa=X&oi=product_catalog_result&ct=result&resnum=3&ved=0CDsQ8wIwAg#). That's about as close as I've ever been to getting a laptop. the PDA has a nice calander and you can play solitaire on it...that's about it.

When we got them, they were supposed to be able to open areial photos and allow us to attach notes to certain pictures. Instead, they open an areial of the entire town and you are suppose to be able to attach a note to the part you want while working on a 5 inch screen. Mine mostly sits in the charger in the office, unless I feel like I might want to play solitaire.

bowlwoman
08-31-2010, 09:24 AM
I just bought an HP Envy 17 last week. My old HP Pavilion is five years old, and it was time. :)

I looked at the Asuses (does that even LOOK right?), but I've had HP computers forever and a day, so I eventually went with them. I got mine off Amazon for $150 off MSRP, and with my Prime account got $4 overnight shipping. I've loved it so far, although I have gotten the BSoD once and it tends to run a little on the heated side. These are issues I knew about going in, though, so I was definitely forewarned.

Ivhon
08-31-2010, 11:02 PM
I just bought an HP Envy 17 last week. My old HP Pavilion is five years old, and it was time. :)

I looked at the Asuses (does that even LOOK right?), but I've had HP computers forever and a day, so I eventually went with them. I got mine off Amazon for $150 off MSRP, and with my Prime account got $4 overnight shipping. I've loved it so far, although I have gotten the BSoD once and it tends to run a little on the heated side. These are issues I knew about going in, though, so I was definitely forewarned.

Asii

Asuses is too close to Anuses.

Crispin's Crispian
09-01-2010, 11:41 AM
I've had or used Asus, HP, Toshiba, and Dell laptops. All of them have good and bad points, and I think you'll see more of a difference in the components included than in the brand.

That said, the HP I use now has never had any problems ever. About five years ago, I bought two Asus notebooks for my coworker and I. Mine started BSoDing all the time despite memory and motherboard changes. My coworker's has never had a problem.

I bought a pair of Dell Inspiron 1400s for my boss and another coworker, and neither of them are all that happy. The machines work OK, but they are pretty slow. Again, it depends on the processor and memory.

Davian93
09-01-2010, 11:47 AM
The only complaint I have with my current Dell is that it tends to heat up quite quickly when I'm running memory intensive functions like streaming HD video. Its not nearly as bad as my Toshiba was but I have to be aware to keep the vent and fan intake clear.