PDA

View Full Version : Well. This is new.

Firseal
08-27-2010, 08:02 PM
As long as anyone on this board has known me (with the exception of Frenzy, who knew me in the happy times before) I have been employed at a place that... well. I've refered to it as soul crushing. An erosion of happiness, done entirely for too little money and no real respect. It is a viscious and terrible job, and I am sure you have all heard me complain about it. At some point or another, the fact of working at this abjectly terrible place has come up in many of my discussions.

I turned in my resignation and gave two week notice on Monday, due to the latest affront.

Today, I was fired.

Hell. I wasn't even there today. Neat trick, huh.

Heh.

Anyhow. I've never had a job before that I wasn't hired for. That is, I have never obtained a job by looking for it. I have a degree that's been gathering dust. I have freedom.

Any advice on how to go about job searches, that would be welcome.

Congradulations on getting out of the black hole which has long consumed my happiness and left me more bitter and disillusioned every time I went to work, that would be far more appreciated.

I know I should be worried. But it is hard through the euphoria.

Peace out, everyone.

Free at last
Free at last
Thank God Almighty
We are free at last

Ivhon
08-27-2010, 08:26 PM
As long as anyone on this board has known me (with the exception of Frenzy, who knew me in the happy times before) I have been employed at a place that... well. I've refered to it as soul crushing. An erosion of happiness, done entirely for too little money and no real respect. It is a viscious and terrible job, and I am sure you have all heard me complain about it. At some point or another, the fact of working at this abjectly terrible place has come up in many of my discussions.

I turned in my resignation and gave two week notice on Monday, due to the latest affront.

Today, I was fired.

Hell. I wasn't even there today. Neat trick, huh.

Heh.

Anyhow. I've never had a job before that I wasn't hired for. That is, I have never obtained a job by looking for it. I have a degree that's been gathering dust. I have freedom.

Any advice on how to go about job searches, that would be welcome.

Congradulations on getting out of the black hole which has long consumed my happiness and left me more bitter and disillusioned every time I went to work, that would be far more appreciated.

I know I should be worried. But it is hard through the euphoria.

Peace out, everyone.

Free at last
Free at last
Thank God Almighty
We are free at last

First up....congrats on getting out of the misery-inducing job. Sometimes we have to be forced out of the paycheck trap.

I dont take my career counseling class until the spring, but I can throw out a bone or two :D

For me, there were a two things that put me on the path away from unsatisfying job to new career. I paid pretty close attention to what the people who know and love me best said that I should be doing. I also saw a career counselor (which I dont think is necessary) and took some personality inventories to match personality/interests with job sectors and descriptions (which I do think are invaluable tools). Im not at home right now, but when I get back Ill post a couple free/cheap resources that are also fairly reliable.

tworiverswoman
08-27-2010, 08:33 PM
I'm going to offer congrats (I think that works, somehow) on finally taking the plunge (and then getting kicked off the end of the high-dive board - that's cold...) but I'm going to have to be the rude one and ask why in hell you waited so long and suffered so long before you did so!

ShadowbaneX
08-27-2010, 08:33 PM
The advice I have is: avoid placement agencies.

That's about it.

I'm interested to hear why they fired you when you were going to resign in two weeks, but I can understand why you might not want to share that.

Again, congrats on having your soul returned to you.

Sinistrum
08-27-2010, 08:42 PM
A couple of things I learned from my job hunt. First off, cast as wide a net as humanly possible. It took me 11 months and over 130 resumes to get my current job and I applied to a lot of places that practices areas of law I had zero interest in, a lot of geographic areas I had no interest in living, and a couple of places that had absolutely no use for a law degree. If nothing else it will get you useful interview experience.

Secondly, be patient. Getting the job you really want takes time, and a lot of it given the current economic conditions.

Thirdly, use any and all connections you have to your advantage and be completely shameless about it. Connections make job hunting so much easier and my lack of them is why it took me so long.

Finally, if you do get an interview, try to show genuine enthusiasm for the job position you are interviewing. In my case, I have absolutely no doubt that my stated desire to get trial experience and lots of it contributed to the call back I received last year.

Yellowbeard
08-27-2010, 11:00 PM
i got my current job because i networked and got to know the two guys that ended up hiring me. and also because their company had a contract doing work that i had a lot of expertise in, and their firm didn't have anyone as knowledgeable in my particular field as me. they got the contract thru some contacts, then had problems knowing how to do the work efficiently.

in this economy, getting a job really is all about knowing the right people, and being in the right place, at the right time. other than that, i don't know anybody that has gotten a job any other way in the last two years.

so hit the street and get to know some people in the field you want to get into.

Davian93
08-27-2010, 11:03 PM
The advice I have is: avoid placement agencies.

That's about it.

I'm interested to hear why they fired you when you were going to resign in two weeks, but I can understand why you might not want to share that.

Again, congrats on having your soul returned to you.

I've known people that got fired the moment they gave their 2 weeks...some managers are pretty vindictive in that sense. Upside is now you can claim unemployment from them with no issues for the next 99 weeks. Pretty stupid move on their part.

Advice: Focus your resume to each job you put out...dont just use the same one for a bunch of different jobs. Second advice: Take a week off and relax before you do anything. Go file for unemployment, get your resume ready if it isn't already and decide what you want to do and where you're willing to move.

And congrats from leaving hell.

Frenzy
08-27-2010, 11:06 PM
About time, Firseal. But you knew that already.

Firseal
08-29-2010, 12:59 AM
Everyone is suggesting I use contacts and connections, but the best ones I have are either likely to land me in teaching, want me to do more retail (shudder), or would require me gaining security clearance.

Though it might be cool to work for the CIA...

Terez
08-29-2010, 01:04 AM
Though it might be cool to work for the CIA...
And now you can't. Their website says you're not supposed to tell anyone that you are even considering employment with them. And don't think you can hide...

ShadowbaneX
08-29-2010, 01:20 AM
The Canadian government gave me secret clearance. If that's possible it's not beyond the realm of possibility that the US will give you something similar. Usually you need some company to arrange that though. I suppose that might be one thing that Placement Agencies are good for.

However, in the past 3 years or so I've been called for exactly one position from a temp agency, it was for one day, an emergency fill-in and of course, it happened to be when our phones were out.

Ivhon
08-29-2010, 09:23 AM
Connections don't have to be in the industry you are looking to get into...they just have to know somebody in that industry.

"Hey Joe Banker from College, Im switching careers and I was thinking of getting into the CIA, but I don't know anybody in the agency...or at least I don't think I do, hehe. You don't happen to know someone there I could talk to, do you?"

"Why yes. I did postgrad work with the DDI. Here is his number, feel free to drop my name."

EDIT: Don't ask your first industry contact for a job. That person should be a mentor-type to help you find a job in that industry. Idea is that people generally are quite willing to put energy into helping someone out - makes them feel good about themselves - but feel pressure when THEY have to be the one that gives out the job. So you want one person who knows the business to be feeling good about him/herself as s/he loads you up with contacts and pointers - and then you put the pressure on other people to give you the job.

GonzoTheGreat
08-29-2010, 09:33 AM
Waterboarding your future CIA boss may not be a good idea, though. So you have to think a bit about exactly how much pressure you want to put on prospective employers.

Davian93
08-29-2010, 11:14 PM
The Canadian government gave me secret clearance. If that's possible it's not beyond the realm of possibility that the US will give you something similar. Usually you need some company to arrange that though. I suppose that might be one thing that Placement Agencies are good for.

However, in the past 3 years or so I've been called for exactly one position from a temp agency, it was for one day, an emergency fill-in and of course, it happened to be when our phones were out.

To work for CIA, you need a Top Secret clearance with SCI access and be able to pass a full life-style polygraph prior to employment and any time afterward that they feel the urge to conduct one. Its quite the indepth process.

Undergoing a Poly is one of the less fun things on earth.

Sample questions:

"Davian, have you ever had sex with an animal?"

"No"

"Are you sure...even masturbated with one?"

"No, really, never done it."

"Its okay if you have, you can tell me"

"No, seriously, never happened."

That was an excerpt from my first Poly...fun times.

So basically, DT would fail.

Firseal
08-30-2010, 01:43 AM

No he wouldn't. He'd pass with flying colors; he knows when to be honest.

Now, the interviewer's face afterwards... That'd be interesting.

yks 6nnetu hing
08-30-2010, 03:13 AM
hmm... firstly, congrats on leaving the hellhole.

secondly, what Ivhon said.

Thirdly, dunno how popular LinkedIn is in the States - it's basically a Facebook-like thing but for business contacts. For searching a job it can be really awesome... only problem is, when you already have a job and all your bosses are on your LinkedIn contacts, they'll know immediately if you start looking around for a new job :rolleyes: although I suppose you can say that you're just expanding your business contacts network.

Fourthly, never put someone you didn't get along with at your previous work as a reference on your CV. Seems like a no-brainer but you wouldn't believe how many people do that. If you can't put anyone from your previous company as reference, maybe there's a customer you know was really happy with your work...

Also, never say you left your last work because they were intent on torturing you to death. The next company will think you're hard to work with and/or indiscrete.

Davian93
08-30-2010, 08:01 AM
Yes, its smarter to say, "I am looking for a new challenge" or "I wanted to expand my area of expertise in a new direction" or some other suitabably canned answer.

yks 6nnetu hing
08-30-2010, 08:13 AM
or, in your case "the old job (was good but) had too little to do with my education - I want to further myself in that area."

Davian93
08-30-2010, 08:13 AM
or, in your case "the old job (was good but) had nothing to do with my education - I want to further myself in that area."

Yeah, that's a good one.

Mort
08-30-2010, 11:09 AM
The employers usually put a lot of weight in not just getting the employees that has the right kind of skill and experience, but it is equally important that they know you as an individual, that you can be trusted etc. So a tip could be that if you don't get the "dream job" you're looking for, consider taking a job at a place that has those kinds of positions, but maybe no openings atm.

After you've been hired and worked there for a time, your chances of landing another position there will be much much higher since you are already known to them. Get a foot in the door so to speak. Granted that you make a good impression that is :)

In this economy, beggars can't be choosers ;)

Good luck with the job hunt!

Off topic: Can someone explain to me why all the thread titles turned from Orange/red to blue all of a sudden? :)

Ivhon
08-30-2010, 11:21 AM
Off topic: Can someone explain to me why all the thread titles turned from Orange/red to blue all of a sudden? :)

Its a sign of the coming Apocalypse.

I wouldn't worry about it.

Firseal
08-30-2010, 05:52 PM
Its a sign of the coming Apocalypse.

That's an idea. I can makes signs, if they are hiring...

Ishara
09-01-2010, 08:57 AM
Congratulations on getting out of the black hole which has long consumed your happiness and left you more bitter and disillusioned every time you went to work!

A couple of things I learned from my job hunt. First off, cast as wide a net as humanly possible. It took me 11 months and over 130 resumes to get my current job and I applied to a lot of places that practices areas of law I had zero interest in, a lot of geographic areas I had no interest in living, and a couple of places that had absolutely no use for a law degree. If nothing else it will get you useful interview experience.

Secondly, be patient. Getting the job you really want takes time, and a lot of it given the current economic conditions.

Thirdly, use any and all connections you have to your advantage and be completely shameless about it. Connections make job hunting so much easier and my lack of them is why it took me so long.

Finally, if you do get an interview, try to show genuine enthusiasm for the job position you are interviewing. In my case, I have absolutely no doubt that my stated desire to get trial experience and lots of it contributed to the call back I received last year.

All of this. You won't get what you don't try for. Also, what Dav said about tailoring your resume and cover letter is key. Different jobs require different approaches. Keep working at it until you find one that works!

pops taer
09-03-2010, 12:13 AM
Oh, wrong thread??? No not really. Hang your head high and step on out there with a clear conscience and get that job you really want. Taking a job with a company that has your area of expertise available, thereby creating potential lateral moves into your wanted area.

congrats and good luck. Jobs are out there and I know there are jobs in your chosen area. Look hard go in with loaded guns and take the job away from them, don't give them a chance to give it to you!!!!!

Gilshalos Sedai
09-03-2010, 06:52 PM
Here's something that's not been said...

Decide what you actually WANT first or you'll end up in hell again.

Other than that, congratulations!

Dragon Thief
09-03-2010, 07:55 PM

You're assuming I can't lie my ass off successfully.

I can.

Matter of fact, I've lied to you seven times in this post already.

Make that eight.

Brita
09-03-2010, 08:06 PM
Everyone has offered great advice and insight. I don't have much to offer but my well-wishes. I hope you move up several stratospheres in whatever you find.

Vicious Circle
09-03-2010, 08:47 PM
Its a sign of the coming Apocalypse

Johnny Depp as the new Dr. Who is a sign of the Apocalypse!
You're on a vacation, enjoy your euphoria while you can.
May I suggest using your free time to help break the Great Hunt codes?
No really, congratulations!
You have the knowledge that you left them first, but still get to collect benefits off their stupidity.
Living well really is the best revenge.
So go find out what you really want to do everyday and pursue it.
Good hunting!

Anaiya Sedai
09-04-2010, 08:15 AM
congratulations on getting out of your hell hole.

I agree with what Gil said, figure out what you want before you go looking for it. I am slowly working my way out of my hell, but it's taken a good two years to get to the point where I can even start to do that.
Good luck!

Zaela Sedai
09-04-2010, 12:26 PM
Definitely congrats Seal :)

Getting your foot in the door and working hard is the best way to get a good job, at least it worked for me. Don't get me wrong, insurance is NOT my dream job, but I've moved way up the ladder in just 3 years just by acting like I care, actually trying a bit and taking some intiative in my job. It's not hard once you are in.

I started this job with no experiance and no degree.... and I have gotten promotions over people who have both, you're tactics are far more refined than mine. I'm sure if I can do it you can LOL