PDA

View Full Version : What the Hell?

Kimon
08-27-2010, 11:17 PM
Eye for an eye, I say. Bury this evil biddy alive in a landfill. I suppose they could exhume her after 15 hours, but honestly, I'd just leave her to rot there. Apparently I'm siding with the mob...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-coventry-warwickshire-11068063

Nazbaque
08-28-2010, 04:57 AM
Well that was weird. And it's me saying it.

BTW when did everything go blue around here?

Crispin's Crispian
08-30-2010, 11:18 AM
Eye for an eye, I say. Bury this evil biddy alive in a landfill. I suppose they could exhume her after 15 hours, but honestly, I'd just leave her to rot there. Apparently I'm siding with the mob...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-coventry-warwickshire-11068063

Hey now, we don't have the whole story. Maybe that cat ate her pet mouse, or maybe that cat kept her up all night meowing. Don't judge!

nameless
08-30-2010, 03:26 PM
I'll judge all I want to. Sadistic little chrone even petted it and pretended to be friends first... if I lived in the UK I would definitely arrange to stuff her in a dumpster for a few hours. That police presence won't stay outside her house forever.

Sei'taer
08-30-2010, 03:30 PM
At least now we know who Anaiya is talking about when she quotes Kettle.

Kimon
08-30-2010, 05:59 PM
Hey now, we don't have the whole story. Maybe that cat ate her pet mouse, or maybe that cat kept her up all night meowing. Don't judge!

Yeah, here's her side of the story. Judge for yourself.

http://www.lynnnews.co.uk/news/national/cat_joke_was_meant_to_be_funny_1_841528

Birgitte
08-30-2010, 06:20 PM
I'm with the cat's owner. No need to blow things out of proportion. Just let the authorties handle it. Throwing a woman in the trash indefinitely seems like a bit much.

nameless
08-30-2010, 06:32 PM
Her only defense is that she "thought it was funny." There's a word for people who think it's funny to cause discomfort to those weaker than they are: sadists. And she's clearly lying when she says she thought the cat would manage to "wiggle free." It's a four foot tall trash bin and the cat is less than a foot tall. No way it's gonna free itself through any amount of wiggling. It probably could have jumped out, but she made sure that wasn't gonna happen when she closed the lid. As for letting the police handle it, the police have already announced they aren't going to do anything because UK criminal law does not prohibit throwing your neighbor's cat into a trash bin. RSPCA is investigating, but I'm not sure they have the authority to actually do anything about it if criminal law was not violated.

Crispin's Crispian
08-30-2010, 06:44 PM
Yeah, here's her side of the story. Judge for yourself.

http://www.lynnnews.co.uk/news/national/cat_joke_was_meant_to_be_funny_1_841528

You can't impugn the woman for having a poor sense of humor. It's not her fault she was born that way.

</sarcasm>

Really, that's the best she had? I mean...no excuse, or even remorse. I guess one has to give her credit for honesty.

Anaiya Sedai
08-31-2010, 04:02 AM
I saw her on the news, when she was asked (after that "I thought it would be funny" statement) whether she really meant it as a joke, and she looked rather guilty and like she knew she's done something wrong, but couldn't come up with a satisfying explanation.
I just completely fail to comprehend what must have gone on in that head of hers...

Kettle? nah, no patch on her.

Sei'taer
08-31-2010, 08:03 AM
You can't impugn the woman for having a poor sense of humor. It's not her fault she was born that way.

Just look at Firseal.

tworiverswoman
09-01-2010, 05:45 PM
Hey, now! I happen to enjoy Firseal's sense of humor.

And yours!
And, uhm, Gonzo's.
And Jokeslayer's.

And PD's...

Oh, dear.

On the other hand - THIS woman's sense of "humor" isn't very funny at all. I also find it rather amazing that she had such a lack of a sense of self-preservation that she actually SAID, "It's only a cat."

ETA: What's this "Blue" people keep complaining about? Everything looks the same as always to me...

yks 6nnetu hing
09-02-2010, 02:01 AM
firstly, obviously a moment of Bad Judgement. Momentary Insanity. Really Bad Taste. whatever. not cool, in any case.

secondly, COME ON people! it's a cat, and it didn't die. it's not like she tied a stick of dynamite on the cat's tail and sat down to enjoy the fireworks. More cats get run over every day, every minute even, and no-one gets up in arms about that (also, I might have a bad opinion about some driver-punks out there but there are people who try to run cats and dogs over on purpose.) Not to even mention people who starve and/or torture their own pets. What I mean to say is: this is a complete non-issue compared to what goes on every single day.

Sarevok
09-02-2010, 03:29 AM
ETA: What's this "Blue" people keep complaining about? Everything looks the same as always to me...

The names of the forums and threads. :eek:

Kimon
09-02-2010, 03:18 PM
firstly, obviously a moment of Bad Judgement. Momentary Insanity. Really Bad Taste. whatever. not cool, in any case.

secondly, COME ON people! it's a cat, and it didn't die. it's not like she tied a stick of dynamite on the cat's tail and sat down to enjoy the fireworks. More cats get run over every day, every minute even, and no-one gets up in arms about that (also, I might have a bad opinion about some driver-punks out there but there are people who try to run cats and dogs over on purpose.) Not to even mention people who starve and/or torture their own pets. What I mean to say is: this is a complete non-issue compared to what goes on every single day.

I'm going to have to take issue with this yks, and while I am not suggesting that you are in any way equivalent in depravity to this woman (unless you actually take this thought and run with it, as she did), the sentiment is eerily similar. NB, she posited as part of her self-defense, that this was "just a cat", and what's the big deal.

I think we will all agree that there is a progression in the degree to which we place a sense of sacredness to various forms of life. Thus one likely will feel little, or likely no, remorse for killing a bug, regardless of whether it is done intentionally or by accident. Yet one, unless they are a sociopath, should feel remorse and dismayed if someone were to murder a child, or merely, for instance, find a child on the street and lock it in a trashbin. So clearly a child's life, indeed all human life, is by most construed as sacred, while few would feel the same about an ant, mosquito, or wasp. Obviously most would suggest that other animals fall in various degrees between those two extremes. As a pet, the cat (or a dog) would almost certainly, for most, fall in that degree closest in proximity to the human.

Does that make what was done to the cat as bad as if this had been done to an infant, or other small enough child, too small to be able to free itself? Perhaps not, but the degree of difference here is not so very great in my opinion. There was a reason why, at least here in America, so many of us reacted with outrage when we heard of Michael Vick and his dogfighting ring. That was disgusting, despicable, and criminal. What this woman did was not so very different. The cat was alright, something which could not be said for many of the dogs involved in dogfighting, but this woman was either deluding herself, or being disingenuous in asserting a claim that she expected that the cat would be okay as a result of the predicament that she placed it in.

Michael Vick did time, so should this woman, even if that time is only an equal amount spent in trash as what the cat had to endure.

yks 6nnetu hing
09-03-2010, 02:27 AM
I'm going to have to take issue with this yks, and while I am not suggesting that you are in any way equivalent in depravity to this woman (unless you actually take this thought and run with it, as she did), the sentiment is eerily similar. NB, she posited as part of her self-defense, that this was "just a cat", and what's the big deal.

Please read what I posted.

I did not say that it was ok, in fact I said that it was not ok, in several different ways. I went on to say that there are much more worthy things to get all upset about when we're talking about animal (mis)treatment. Big Picture, please (http://www.animalrescuetv.com/).

I'm goig to put this pic as a link (http://www.docnews.fr/data/classes/actualite/actu_5378_vignette.jpg) click at your own discretion. It's not gory per se, just... very disturbing.

I just can't feel as bad for the kitty cat who has otherwise been loved and cared for its entire life. It has loving owners, and now there's attention worldwide, sending lots of toys and delicacies to the kitty who had to spend a half day locked up because a passerby had a truly idiotic notion. When there are animals whose owners do things that... Chickens that have genetically regressed eyes because they and their ancestors haven't seen light (much less, daylight) in generations. Next time you buy eggs, think of that when you choose between free-range and the cheap stuff. Pigs that never leave the pigsty and when the power goes off, they die by the hundreds because of overheating... and no-one thinks to open the doors and let them out. Or they simply choose not to.

I find it disturbing that this level of outrage and vitriol is poured out at this woman and her undeniably bad treatment of the cute cuddly cat, while no-one seems to care about people who drive their too-big-and-not-house-trained puppy to the forest and tie it to the tree so it can't follow the car back. Where no-one can see or hear the dog, and where it can't free itself, can't find food or drink or new owners. No one gets all up in arms about drunk youngsters trying to run over as many cats in an hour as they can. No-one seems to care about the deliberate, premeditated or industrial-sized institutionalised mistreatment of animals (well, excelpt for PETA, but it's hard to take them seriously when the biggest thing THEY seem to be able to concentrate on is that Naomi Campbell wore a fur coat). It just isn't proportional.

tworiverswoman
09-03-2010, 03:40 AM
Yks, I think it's safe to say that no one disagrees with you that there are worse things that could have been (and are) done to that cat and other animals, every day. That wasn't really his point.

This animal, here and now, was mistreated and the perpetrator caught on camera and identified. That drags it out of the random cruelty and horribleness that humans can do into the limelight of the VISIBLE and NAMEABLE cruelty.

Sure, you can say it was a minor and stupid thing that she did. The cat came out of it whole enough, though I can't speak for it's mental condition. Cats and dogs are perfectly capable of developing many of the same mental twitches the rest of us do, under the same or similar pressures.

But I was reminded of a local incident in which a guy kidnapped and bound a woman up in duct tape and threw her in the trunk of a car, where she wasn't found for a few days. She died, partly from asphixiation (try breathing through nostrils plugged with mucus from crying in terror while your mouth is taped shut) and partly from literally cooking in the trunk of the car in the hot Hawaii sun. His defense was that he never INTENDED for her to die. Guess what. It was successful.

Personally, I'm not sure that his evident indifference to her fate doesn't appall me even more than an intentional murder. This woman falls into the same category. She placed someone's beloved pet in peril and then walked away without a care. And she obviously doesn't understand why this BOTHERS people.

yks 6nnetu hing
09-03-2010, 03:53 AM
I was editing my post to clarify my point while you were posting this. I added the last paragraph.

I just can't understand why it's such a humongous deal in this case but in innumerable other cases of animal mistreatment no-one cares. Just because you can see her face?

Ishara
09-03-2010, 08:08 AM
People, have you SEEN the effing video of the girl throwing puppies into the fast-moving river? THAT is disgusting.

Nazbaque
09-03-2010, 09:30 AM
Just because there are worse things than this it doesn't make it good or even neutral.

To me the disturbing bit isn't the act itself but the woman's attitude.

1) She assumes that she is a better being than the cat (a thing which I wouldn't be so sure about) and believes this gives her rights rather than responsibilities. Not only that but she sees lesser creatures as something that exist to serve her needs. Does she have similar views regarding other humans?

2) She clearly thinks it is fun to cause suffering. No doubt she draws the line somewhere and wouldn't perhaps directly hurt an animal, but that is not the point. She is a sadist even if she isn't a bad one.

yks 6nnetu hing
09-03-2010, 09:49 AM
Just because there are worse things than this it doesn't make it good or even neutral.

for the last time: what she did was not ok.

I simply think that the people who get all up in arms about this particular thing and send this woman hatemail and are actually willing to pay money to get her killed when they don't even notice everything else that's going on is moral narcissism of humongous magnitude.

Nazbaque
09-03-2010, 10:25 AM
for the last time: what she did was not ok.

I simply think that the people who get all up in arms about this particular thing and send this woman hatemail and are actually willing to pay money to get her killed when they don't even notice everything else that's going on is moral narcissism of humongous magnitude.
Yks, I wasn't saying that you said anything else. If I was commenting on anything specific it was Ishara's last post. And now that I've pointed that out I will say that I disagree with you.

How do you know these people don't notice at least some of what is going on? But who exactly is doing it? Who should they hate? Who should they fight? Maybe they can't think of more elaborate plans than the hatemail. Maybe they are just tired of not knowing what to do about the big stuff. Here at last is something they can do. And while I think the money offers for her life are overkill I still pity them.

nameless
09-03-2010, 02:02 PM
But I was reminded of a local incident in which a guy kidnapped and bound a woman up in duct tape and threw her in the trunk of a car, where she wasn't found for a few days. She died, partly from asphixiation (try breathing through nostrils plugged with mucus from crying in terror while your mouth is taped shut) and partly from literally cooking in the trunk of the car in the hot Hawaii sun. His defense was that he never INTENDED for her to die. Guess what. It was successful.

Wait, what? I thought any crime that took place during the commission of a felony was automatically considered premeditated if the felony itself was premeditated. Or am I getting that confused with the "you're automatically an accomplice to every crime if you were a willing accomplice to the original felony" thing? I guess I should stop taking my legal advice from cop shows.

I just can't understand why it's such a humongous deal in this case but in innumerable other cases of animal mistreatment no-one cares. Just because you can see her face?

That's it exactly. People care about those other abuse cases you mentioned, but in this particular case she was caught on camera and her name and address are publicaly available, which gives them an opportunity to do something about it that was not available in all the other cases. In fact, I'd go so far as to say frustration over knowing about the other horrific abusers that go unpunished is a contributing factor to the disproportionate anger some people are showing in this one.

tworiverswoman
09-03-2010, 07:13 PM
Nameless, let me clarify "successful." He was found guilty of something - I'm not sure at this date if it was "manslaughter" (there's an interesting word...) or "death by misadventure" or whatever. But he wasn't found guilty of MURDER.

Yks - the other incidents you mention, if we find out about them, do in fact cause outrage and distress. I believe the majority of Westerners, at least, find cruelty to animals something to get up in arms over. But, as Naz and Nameless have offered, most of the time we know very little more about it than what little gets dribbled out to us by the media. This woman became a focal point for the sole reason that she's a SPECIFIC individual who can be identified.

Humans aren't rational beings, you know that.

Ishara, I know nothing of the video you mention, and frankly don't want to. Even the thought of it depresses me.

Is it better or worse for society that, thanks to YouTube and the internet, we have had our faces rubbed in the astonishing level of sheer nastiness that bubbles up in the average human being under the slightest provocation?

Anaiya Sedai
09-04-2010, 07:12 AM
To me the disturbing bit isn't the act itself but the woman's attitude
This.

Is it better or worse for society that, thanks to YouTube and the internet, we have had our faces rubbed in the astonishing level of sheer nastiness that bubbles up in the average human being under the slightest provocation?
Videos like that satisfy humans strange need for sensationalism and bloodlust. I have never quite understood what people find fascinating about watching videos of violence, abuse and death, be it human or animal.
Sites like Youtube feed and fuel some of that behaviour. Look at "happyslapping" or whatever you call it in the US. People take pleasure in filming themselves abusing someone/an animal/someone's property and posting those videos for everyone to comment and watch. If you are the abuser, youtube is your playground. For the normal people amongst us.. well, that's a different matter.

nameless
09-04-2010, 03:05 PM
One side effect of the internet is that it's really hard to ostracize people for pretty much anything, because they can instantly connect with an online group of people across the world who do the exact same things. It can be a good thing in some cases if it means people feel less like outsiders just cause they're not attracted to the right gender or still have teddy bears even though they're 30 or like to dress up as Peter Pan and sing show tunes or whatever other harmless thing was making them the target of ridicule. The flip side is that it allows people to form support groups for things that no one should ever support, like mindless cruelty being funny or bulimia being the way to look pretty. It reminds me of an article I read about issues of divorce among ultra-Orthodox Jews, where it's almost impossible to get a divorce without consent from both spouses. The tradition dates back to small villages where any husband who refused to grant a divorce would be ostracized by the whole synagogue until he changed his mind, but when Orthodoxy moved to big cities recalcitrant husbands could just switch to a new temple and go on with his life as if nothing had happened and the women were totally screwed over because they can't get remarried in an Orthodox ceremony until they've finalized the Orthodox divorce. Our methods of social control just aren't keeping up with communications technology.