PDA

View Full Version : Finished reading a book???

Leanne
08-28-2010, 02:14 AM
Ok, so someone I work with has a sister that just had her first book published. Obviously, I love reading, so I go to her book signing at Borders on Thursday. I was the only one there at first, but then two people from work show up with a couple people. She was funny, interesting, and very nice. Ok, great, I'm excited to read the book.

Anyway, fast forward to 3 a.m. I am almost finished reading the book and looking forward to bed. I turn to the last page and I can't believe it is going to end so quickly with where the story is. This is the last sentence...

"Umph! Air is knocked out of Jason's mouth, blood spraying, when Victor slugs him in the gut, and then Lisle's pounding around his ears"

Problem...no ending! I bought an unfinished book.

GonzoTheGreat
08-28-2010, 03:54 AM
Michael Moorcock (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moorcock) produced hundreds of those, and they seem to have sold quite well too.

Firseal
08-28-2010, 01:52 PM
That's...

...not uncommon.

The only hing more common than an author who doesn't know how to start is one who isn't sure how to finish.

Crispin's Crispian
08-30-2010, 11:13 AM
I just finished a book last night that wasn't very far off. And this one is a huge best-seller. The saving grace is that it's #2 in a trilogy, but I still thought the ending was terrible.

I was happily reading along, and...that's it? What? What about...? What the...?

Leanne
08-31-2010, 10:01 AM
I went back to Borders on Saturday. I checked the other books, I was missing 20 pages. I had to exchange the book, which kind of sucked since it was personalized. Ah well...if it was someone I cared more about I would be upset.

Davian93
08-31-2010, 11:08 AM
You could have just ripped out the final 20 pages from the book at Borders and taped it into your copy...kinda like how I rebound all my paperback WoT books with packing tape (heavy duty clear kind) probably 10 years ago and they still hold up great.

On an unrelated note, I had the same exact feeling after watching The Golden Compass movie. It just ended with no conclusion as if they were gunning for the sequel (that will never be made due to lack of profit the first time around). Afterward I looked into it and found out that they literally cut off the final 3 chapters of the novel when making the movie as they wanted a cliffhanger. Smart move that, eh?

DeiwosTheSkyGod
08-31-2010, 07:12 PM
On an unrelated note, I had the same exact feeling after watching The Golden Compass movie. It just ended with no conclusion as if they were gunning for the sequel (that will never be made due to lack of profit the first time around). Afterward I looked into it and found out that they literally cut off the final 3 chapters of the novel when making the movie as they wanted a cliffhanger. Smart move that, eh?

Have you read the book? That last chapter is so good. If they wanted a cliffhanger, they really should have left it.

Mort
09-01-2010, 05:35 AM
Just finished Jim butcher's "Changes", the most recent Dresden Files book. Oh man. The guy can write an ending. Now I have no more books to read until another once comes out, whenever that is. Sigh.

Terez
09-01-2010, 05:52 AM
Brandon's new book came out yesterday. ;) I didn't get a chance to pick it up yesterday; I think I will do so this morning when the school bookstore opens.

Leanne
09-01-2010, 07:32 AM
I picked it up yesterday. When I went into B&N, I could not find it anywhere, I actually had to ask. I started thinking that maybe I was too late, went on my lunch break. It wasn't even on the shelf yet, it looked like they only had 6 copies! The thing is HUGE! :D

Ishara
09-01-2010, 08:00 AM
I just finished a book last night that wasn't very far off. And this one is a huge best-seller. The saving grace is that it's #2 in a trilogy, but I still thought the ending was terrible.

I was happily reading along, and...that's it? What? What about...? What the...?

The Girl who Kicked the Hornet's Nest, eh? :p

Davian93
09-01-2010, 09:14 AM
Brandon has a new book?

Crispin's Crispian
09-01-2010, 10:27 AM
The Girl who Kicked the Hornet's Nest, eh? :p

Well, no, actually. She was playing with fire. I haven't gotten to the hornet's nest yet. I hope the ending to that is a tad more satisfying.

Ishara
09-01-2010, 11:05 AM
Heh, not so much. ;)