PDA

View Full Version : Rand, the TP, and the Pattern

iokepa
08-31-2010, 10:28 AM
Perhaps this is stating the obvious, and perhaps this has been discussed - but if not:

Concerning Rand's taveran effect on the Pattern, obviously the balance has shifted during tGS toward a more destructive side. Is this a direct result of him using the TP?

Or is it simply the DO touch growing on the world?

Marie Curie 7
08-31-2010, 11:36 AM
Perhaps this is stating the obvious, and perhaps this has been discussed - but if not:

Concerning Rand's taveran effect on the Pattern, obviously the balance has shifted during tGS toward a more destructive side. Is this a direct result of him using the TP?

Or is it simply the DO touch growing on the world?

It's mainly because the land is one with the Dragon Reborn, and he is one with the land.

TITLE: Crown of Swords
CHAPTER: Prologue

There can be no health in us, nor any good thing grow, for the land is one with the Dragon Reborn, and he one with the land. Soul of fire, heart of stone, in pride he conquers, forcing the proud to yield. He calls upon the mountains to kneel, and the seas to give way, and the very skies to bow. Pray that the heart of stone remembers tears, and the soul of fire, love.

Also, Brandon confirmed this.

The Gathering Storm Book Tour, Mysterious Galaxy, San Diego 15 November 2009 - Katie Frey reporting

Q: Is there a connection between the spoilage of food and Rand’s temperament?
A: Look at the Fisher King prophecies, and the prophecies in WoT that mention that the "land and the Dragon are one."

The Gathering Storm Book Tour, Dallas Borders 14 November 2009 - Aubrey Pham reporting

The prophecy of the land being one with the Dragon Reborn, and the Dragon being one with the land will play a big role in these last three books.

The Gathering Storm Book Tour, Books and Co., Dayton, OH 11 November 2009 - Tim Kington reporting

Q: How about the food going bad in Bandar Eban? Was that caused by Rand being nearby with his cloud of evil?
A: We've heard earlier in the books that the Dragon is one with the land, and the land is one with the Dragon. This is an old belief – many kingdoms believed that the wellness of the King was directly tied to the wellness of the land. In WoT, this is quite literally true.

The Gathering Storm Book Tour, Roseville, MN 30 October 2009 - jharoldson reporting

I...asked Brandon a question regarding Graendal possibly not being dead. I started by saying that Graendal was ordered to keep Arad Doman in chaos. After she was killed Rand was forced out of Arad Doman because all of the food he brought spoiled all at the same time, not in random intervals like had happened before due to the Dark One's touch. My question to Brandon is was this food spoilage caused by the Dark One or could it have been a strong channeler with inverted weaves, perhaps someone who was ordered to make sure that Rand's plans in Arad Doman failed?

Brandon told me explicitly that this was not caused by someone channeling but instead it was caused by Rand. Robert Jordan evidently left strong notes regarding the fact that the quote we heard early on in the story from Thom about "The Dragon is one with the land and the land is one with the Dragon" will be emphasized towards the end of the story. When people complained that only bad ta'veren things happened in Bandar Eban when Rand was there with no offsetting good things this was an example that as Rand has hardened and become darker the land has also grown more dark. The spoiling of all the food at once was also caused by the darkness in Rand.

iokepa
08-31-2010, 11:49 AM
Thanks. I have been working my way through those quotes, but I've been on the road the last week and haven't been able to get through them yet.

I like that RJ/Brandon are using that them though. It feels right to me. Much better than it happening from someone channeling.

Scaw
08-31-2010, 01:08 PM
I have a few thoughts (http://www.theoryland.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=3788) related to this in another thread.

IMO this connection of Rand to the Pattern is why the DO needs Rand to win the LB.

However, we do not know how his use of the TP relates to this. I mean it is obvious that something changed, because people talk about his "dark aura" after he channeled the TP, but as far as I know all the food spoilage started before he used the TP.
We'll see how this changes in ToM. He probably wont be using the TP, so we will see if he still carries that dark aura and whether the food still spoils around him.

Casabamelon
08-31-2010, 03:25 PM
I have a few thoughts (http://http://www.theoryland.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=3788) related to this in another thread.

IMO this connection of Rand to the Pattern is why the DO needs Rand to win the LB.

However, we do not know how his use of the TP relates to this. I mean it is obvious that something changed, because people talk about his "dark aura" after he channeled the TP, but as far as I know all the food spoilage started before he used the TP.
We'll see how this changes in ToM. He probably wont be using the TP, so we will see if he still carries that dark aura and whether the food still spoils around him.

1st, your link is broken.
2nd, you should warn people when you link from a non-spoiler thread to a spoiler thread.
________
Big tits webcam (http://www.fucktube.com/categories/284/webcam/videos/1)

GonzoTheGreat
09-01-2010, 03:33 AM
A small scale example which is quite telling:
The boy fell silent and—though Nynaeve wouldn't have thought it possible—his blue eyes opened wider.
"Do you believe that if I simply said the word," Rand continued in his eerie, quiet voice, "your heart would stop beating? I am the Dragon Reborn. Do you believe that I can take your life, or your soul itself, if I so much as will it to happen?"
Nynaeve saw it again, the patina of darkness around Rand, that aura that she couldn't quite be certain was there. She raised her tea to her lips—and found that it had suddenly grown bitter and stale, as if it had been left to sit too long.
Rand sat down on the cushioned bench seat across from the youth, Min walking over to sit beside him. She was regarding her tea with a grimace; apparently, hers had spoiled as suddenly as Nynaeve's had.Rand invokes the power of the DO (without actually using it, though), the darkness is clearly visible, and tea spoils.

Scaw
09-01-2010, 06:15 AM
1st, your link is broken.
2nd, you should warn people when you link from a non-spoiler thread to a spoiler thread.

1. Link fixed.
2. No spoilers for anybody who has read TGS.

Casabamelon
09-01-2010, 09:56 AM
1. Link fixed.
2. No spoilers for anybody who has read TGS.

The forum is a spoiler forum. You cannot control what others post, and others will be free to post spoilers because it's a spoiler forum.

Anyway, I'm dropping it. It's just a courteous thing to do.
________
Squirting Videos (http://www.fucktube.com/categories/38/squirting/videos/1)