PDA

View Full Version : What Are You Reading/Have Read Recently?

Davian93
09-13-2010, 11:02 AM
Its been a while and I like to get book ideas so I figured I'd start another "What R U Reading?" threads. It, like food, is one of the few things that we all can talk about without fighting.

Me, here's what I'm reading/have read/want to read:

Currently Reading:
1. Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter
2. Sailing to Sarantium
3. Noah's Curse (The Biblical Justification of American Slavery)

Read Recently:
1. Mistborn Trilogy (reread as I just got the books back from letting someone borrow them)
2. The Last Light of the Sun
3. New Spring
4. The Lions of Al-Rassan

Thinking About Reading:
1. Reread of KoD & TGS prior to new release
2. Fionavar Tapestry
3. That new BS book that just came out

Ishara
09-13-2010, 11:20 AM
Currently Reading:
1. The Seamstress - Frances de Pontes Peebles

(I can only read one book at a time, spiced with magazine articles)

Read Recently:
1. 1421: The Year China Discovered the World Gavin Menzies (I want to talk to people about this one - it was fascinating!)
2. The Forgotten Garden Kate Morton (Really, really good.)
3. Harry Potter 1-7
4. The Lost City of Z David Grann (Also fascinating!!)

Thinking About Reading:
1. One Day - David Nicholls
2. I am Number Four - Pittacus Lore
3. Furious Love: Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton and their Marriage of the Century - Sam Kashner and Nancy Shoenberger

Leanne
09-13-2010, 11:20 AM
3. That new BS book that just came out

I just finished reading The Way of Kings this weekend.

Now, I am going back to my WoT re-read.

Sarevok
09-13-2010, 11:47 AM
Currently readin book 8 of the Malazan Book of the Fallen.
Read recently: books 1-7 of Malazan Book of the Fallen.
Before that, I was reading Diskworld books. :)

Ivhon
09-13-2010, 12:11 PM
Lessee:

Enhancing Sexuality: A Problem-Solving Approach to Treating Dysfunction
Sex, Sexuality and Therapeutic Practice
Mastering Competencies in Family Therapy
Pyscheye
The Neurobiology of We

And a whole bunch of journal articles.

Crispin's Crispian
09-13-2010, 01:22 PM
Lessee:

Enhancing Sexuality: A Problem-Solving Approach to Treating Dysfunction
Sex, Sexuality and Therapeutic Practice
Mastering Competencies in Family Therapy
Pyscheye
The Neurobiology of We

And a whole bunch of journal articles.

What are you, some kind of psycho pervert?

I have to remember what I've read recently...

The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo by Steig Larsen
The Girl Who Played with Fire by Steig Larsen
Dust of Dreams by Steven Erikson (several months past, now)

Before that, I can't remember the most recent. I mostly do rereads of sections of other books. For example, I am constantly and re-reading:

Indian Legends of the Pacific Northwest by Ella Clark
The Ultimate Encyclopedia Of Mythology by Arthur Cotterell & Rachel Storm
The Dangerous Book for Boys by Conn and Hal Iggulden
The Daring Book for Girls by Andrea J. Buchanan, Miriam Peskowitz
Most of the Malazan books, though that's fallen off recently.
Various history books around the house, plus the Bible, Joseph Cambell, etc.

And that doesn't count all the kids books, though since the kids started reading on their own I don't do it nearly as much. :(

nameless
09-13-2010, 02:00 PM
Recently finished:
Way of Kings (Brandon's best so far... he's definitely growing as a writer)
Girl With the Dragon Tattoo
Zero History

currently reading:
Dance Dance (Murakami Haruki, for those of you who don't know his work, is like the Japanese Philip K. Dick. I highly recommend him)
Life of Pi
Dresden Files (don't judge, I liked the TV show)

DahLliA
09-13-2010, 02:29 PM
currently: doing a re-read of the Malazan books. just started so still on Gardens of the Moon.

recently: read Eye of the World again. was planning on keeping at WoT, but a friend borrowed tGS ages ago and can't get it back atm.

I could really use some tips for fantasy I haven't read. guess I should got for some BS books:p

WinespringBrother
09-13-2010, 02:34 PM
currently reading: TWOK (1st reread)

recently finished: First Law Trilogy and the stand-alone sequel by Joe Abercrombie (pretty good stuff)
Necroscope Trilogy by Bryan Lumley
The Magic of Recluse by L.E. Modessit
Furies of Calderon by Jim Butcher (Codex Alera book 1)

queued up:
The Summer Tree by GGK
Necroscope subsequent volumes
Academ's Fury by Jim Butcher
Night Angel trilogy by Brent Weeks (recommended by Brandon, but not nearly as good as his writing)

Uno
09-13-2010, 03:17 PM
Well, I'd tell you what I'm reading, but it strikes me as sort of narcissistic.

From a review of recent threads I believe that's our new favourite word?

Zanguini
09-13-2010, 03:27 PM
Current
Harry Potter 1 -JK Rawlings
Sir Apropos of Nothing: the Woad to Wuin -Peter David

Upcoming
Twelve Kingdoms 1-4 -Fuyumi Ono
HP 2 -Jk Rawlings

Uppercoming
The Way of Kings -Sanderson
Belgariad/Mallorean -Eddingses

Recently finished
Dresden Files 1-13 -Jim Butcher
Sir Apropos of Nothing -Peter David

Basel Gill
09-13-2010, 03:32 PM
Currently half way through Book 2 of the Night Angel trilogy by Brent Weeks and currently 1/4 way through the Federalist Papers.

Recently read Codex Alera by Jim Butcher.

Thinking about reading Common Sense, Towers of Midnight (duh...:D), Chronicles of The Black Company.

Ishara
09-13-2010, 03:57 PM
~jumpy claps!~

Yay for GGK!

SDog, didn't you read 1421?

Sei'taer
09-13-2010, 04:09 PM
Well, I'd tell you what I'm reading, but it strikes me as sort of narcissistic.

From a review of recent threads I believe that's our new favourite word?

Moral Narcissism. It has fallen to number two behind Political Racism though.

Firseal
09-13-2010, 04:14 PM
Last few books read off the top of my head:

Rosemary and Rue by Seanan McGuire
Changes (Reread) by Jim Butcher
Spellcrash by Kelly McCullough
A Fistful of Sky (Reread) by Nina Kirki Hoffman
A Feast for Crows (Reread) by George R. R. Martin
Victorious by Jack Campbell

Huh. Two 'Urban Fantasy', one modern fantasy, one cyberfantasy, one high fantasy, and one military sci-fi. No trends there...

Oh, yes. Enjoyed them all.

DahLia, how many fantasy series you want recommended?

Weird Harold
09-13-2010, 04:46 PM
Currently reading: In the Stormy Red Sky, by David Drake; book seven of the Royal Cinnabar Navy (RCN series.

Currently re-reading: Gust Front, by John Ringo, book Two of the Legacy of the Aldenata series. (part of a reread of the Claws That Catch (2008) Baen free library CD featuring all of John Ringo's books in digital format, plus others.)

Recently read/reread: Mission of Honor by David Weber, Storm from the Shadows by David Weber, and Torch of Freedom by David Weber and Eric Flint

The Kildar Series by John Ringo, (from the Claws That Catch CD) (X-rated action adventure/Military SF. Begins with Ghost)

I'm currently on a Space Opera/Military SF binge.

Crispin's Crispian
09-13-2010, 04:48 PM
~jumpy claps!~

Yay for GGK!

SDog, didn't you read 1421?

I read 1491 by Charles C. Mann, but 1421 may just be next on my list.

I'd highly recommend 1491 (New Revelations of the Native Americans Before Columbus), though. I know I wanted to talk about it right after I read it, but I don't remember why I didn't.

How about if I get 1421 and we talk about it in a while. Is it a long read?

Ivhon
09-13-2010, 06:18 PM
@ UNO - are you rereading your own books and articles for fun?

@ ST - I think I like moral narcissism far more than what I think you will give as a definition of political racism.

@ Muttley - I've been halfway through 1421 for a year or so now

One Armed Gimp
09-13-2010, 06:23 PM
Recently:
The Name of the Wind
Reagan's Revolution
Getting Real
The Future of the Internet
A Game of Thrones - never finished, put it down one day and just haven't cared to pick it back up.

Currently:
LotR - started a re-read a few weeks ago
Always picking through a WoT book

Looking forward to:
The Way of Kings
The Grand Design

Mostly I read children's books to my kids at night in hopes of fostering a love of reading. I think my wife and I have done well so far. I have "caught" my two and half year old sitting on the floor next to his one and half year old sisters crib "reading" to her when they are supposed to be sleeping.

Davian93
09-13-2010, 07:03 PM
I'd highly recommend 1491 (New Revelations of the Native Americans Before Columbus), though. I know I wanted to talk about it right after I read it, but I don't remember why I didn't.

I own it but haven't read it...I keep meaning too but I havent been in the mood. I have a big stack of books in the queue other than the ones I listed.

I keep meaning to read 1421 too.

DeiwosTheSkyGod
09-13-2010, 07:18 PM
Finishing my Shirley Jackson binge tonight with "The Haunting of Hill House" and resuming my Steinbeck binge tomorrow with "Travels With Charley in Search of America."

Sei'taer
09-13-2010, 08:16 PM
@ Muttley - I've been halfway through 1421 for a year or so now

You got farther than I did. Not one of my better book picking moments.

Terez
09-13-2010, 08:26 PM
I am in the middle of a WoT re-read (on LOC) but I took a break to read I Am Not A Serial Killer by Dan Wells, because he tagged along to the Brandon signing I went to in Atlanta. It was a good book. Should totally be marketed as YA, though, and it's not because it's got 'disturbing' things in it, like the fact that the main character kid lives in his mom's mortuary and helps with the embalming and stuff, etc. Mr. Wells said that it's odd because overseas, all his fans are kids, but it's mostly adults in the US.

I think I should save TWOK until after TOM comes out.

jason wolfbrother
09-13-2010, 08:29 PM
Currently reading: The Black Prism by Brent Weeks. Book 1 in his new series

Recently (re)read:
Codex of Alera series by Jim Butcher
Star Wars: Fatal Alliance by Sean Williams
Fear Nothing, Seize the Night, Strange Highways, The Good Guy, Life Expectancy, all by Dean Koontz

Upcoming reads
The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson
reread of Night Angel trilogy by Bent Weeks
Towers of Midnight, as soon as it comes out in November.

Sei'taer
09-13-2010, 09:30 PM
Guess I should contribute something...

Currently Reading:
1. Tuck, Stephen Lawhead
2. book 4 of the Dresden Files
3. Ball Four, Jim Bouton
4. Heroes Die, Matthew Woodring Stover

Read Recently:
1. Elantris
2. Scarlet, Lawhead
3. Dust of Dreams

Ready to Read:
1. tWoK
2. I think the next Lawhead book is supposed to be Maid...maybe. Anyway, I'll be watching for it.

Books just to kill time:

My step-mom sent Snow in August and The Shack home with us. Probably will be my in-between reads. Don't have a clue what either one is about.

Sei'taer
09-13-2010, 09:36 PM
(I can only read one book at a time, spiced with magazine articles)

Seriously? I've got one at work, one by the couch, one in the shitter and one by the bed...usually.

nameless
09-13-2010, 09:59 PM
Snow in August is a great book. It's about a Catholic teenager in New York in the 50s who learns why anti-Semitism is bad when he gets hired on as the shabbas goy at the local synagogue. I can't tell you anything about The Shack, though.

fdsaf3
09-14-2010, 12:06 AM
A few math and science books, actually. But they are totally accessible and fun to read because they are written by mathematicians and physicists with personalities!

Physics of the Impossible by Michio Kaku is a book where one of the preeminent physicists of our time talks about science fiction topics like starships, faster than light travel, and teleportation work within the confines of what we know about physics. He then ranks each technology on a scale of impossibility and feasibility for the human race to accomplish it. It's pretty cool.

The other is a book called Does God Play Dice?. It's about chaos math and applications in natural and social sciences. I like it because I have a background in that, but I'm pretty sure laypeople would appreciate it as well.

I'm going to browse this thread now for good suggestions since I need some fun books (i.e. not math, physics, or grad school) related.

Frenzy
09-14-2010, 01:24 AM
i'm reading "Nurture Shock" by Po Bronson and Ashley Merryman because my kid's teacher "recommended" it, and i'm reading a bunch of girl scout safety training manuals online. i feel like reading something with zombie dinosaurs or a smutty bodice-ripper just to regain my balance.

yks 6nnetu hing
09-14-2010, 02:06 AM
depends on your definition of recently...

ok, read recently:
Diana Gabaldon Outlander series books 1-6
Sanderson - Warbreaker
Tad Williams - Shadowmarch and Shadowplay (waiting for the third one to come out as paperback)
Anne McCaffrey - I'm on a readthrough of ALL the Pern stories, now just finished Red Star Rising (book 13 or something)

Currently reading:
Anne McCaffrey - The Masterharper of Pern
Malazan book 1 (afer a loooooong time of holding out. Halfway through, not humongously impressed so far but not hating it either. I thought it was one of those love or hate it kind of books?)

In queue:
Anne McCaffrey - um... all the rest that I have of the Pern stories, maybe 5 more books?
Potter boy, whole thing
Orlando Figes- The Whisperers (I started this a while ago but got stuck because the book was physically hard to lug around)
Tad Williams - that third book, once it comes out as paperback
Gabaldon - the last book, again huge and heavy...
Sanderson - that new book, although I might wait for the paperback.
ToM - of course!
Anne Applebaum - Gulag (I actually had it in my hands this weekend but decided to wait until after the Figes one)
something I havent' read yet by GGK. I've lost track a little bit there.

Firseal
09-14-2010, 02:10 AM
i'm reading "Nurture Shock" by Po Bronson and Ashley Merryman because my kid's teacher "recommended" it, and i'm reading a bunch of girl scout safety training manuals online. i feel like reading something with zombie dinosaurs or a smutty bodice-ripper just to regain my balance.

Let's see. Zombie...

World War Z, by Max Brooks:
Excellent novel about the zombie apocalypse.

Dinosaurs:
I would say the very uneven, strange, campy, and occasionally surprising Dinosaur World series by Stephen Leigh, but if you could actually find any of them I'd be amazed. Also, I haven't read them since my early teens, so god knows how they hold up. Still, the time manipulation is interesting.
So, I am recommending Fragment by Warren Fahy. Even though there aren't any actual dinosaurs, the feel is remarkably like Jurassic Park on acid or maybe PCP...

Bodice Ripper? Ugh. I detest the bulk of romance as a genre. I say this having earned the right, as when challenged I read enough of them to do more than complain from a distance. If you must have one though, something from Teresa Medeiros will be at least not completely terrible.
God save your soul.

As to high fantasy (light knows you should, Frenzy), The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch would be excellent for you. Failing that, it is about bloody time you read Death of the Necromancer by Martha Wells.

Ah. Well. Ahem...

Next?

yks 6nnetu hing
09-14-2010, 02:14 AM
Bodice Ripper? Ugh. I detest the bulk of romance as a genre. I say this having earned the right, as when challenged I read enough of them to do more than complain from a distance. If you must have one though, something from Teresa Medeiros will be at least not completely terrible.
God save your soul.

that reminds me, I want to do a re-read of Gone With the Wind. although technically that's not exactly a bodice ripper. Should probably balance my diet with some of those as well. and soon.

now, detective stories - only genre I really don't like, not sure why

Firseal
09-14-2010, 02:24 AM
that reminds me, I want to do a re-read of Gone With the Wind. although technically that's not exactly a bodice ripper. Should probably balance my diet with some of those as well. and soon.

now, detective stories - only genre I really don't like, not sure why

Fah. Pick up a copy of Bimbos of the Death Sun by Sharon McCrumb. You'll like it. It's a murder mystery set at a fantasy con circa 1989-1990. Funny too, and a very quick read.

Gilshalos Sedai
09-14-2010, 07:48 AM
I'm currently reading Sizzling Sixteen by Janet Evanovich. Stephanie Plum rocks.

I'll be rereading The Dresden Files afterward. Just finished a reread of the Sookie Stackhouse books.

Other than that, I'm reading my own stuff. ;)

Sei'taer
09-14-2010, 08:09 AM
Snow in August is a great book. It's about a Catholic teenager in New York in the 50s who learns why anti-Semitism is bad when he gets hired on as the shabbas goy at the local synagogue. I can't tell you anything about The Shack, though.

So then I guess it'll be a good in-betweener. She really liked them so I'll see how it goes. I'll let you know about The Shack.

Sei'taer
09-14-2010, 08:10 AM
Just finished a reread of the Sookie Stackhouse books.

Sookie has excellent nipples...just sayin'. Oh!! You were talking about the books...my bad.

DahLliA
09-14-2010, 09:03 AM
Thinking about reading Common Sense, Towers of Midnight (duh...:D), Chronicles of The Black Company.

oh right. finished the last published Black Company books a little while ago too. can heartily(is that a word?) recommend them.

DahLia, how many fantasy series you want recommended?

one would be more than enough atm. not as fast a reader as I used to be :p

Crispin's Crispian
09-14-2010, 09:50 AM
I forgot to add that I just read a couple interesting books by Timothy Egan.

The Big Burn is about the great forest fire of 1910, which was the first test of Roosevelt's and Pinchot's US Forest Service and shaped its policy toward forest fires for the next 75 years or so.

The Worst Hard Time is a really depressing book about the Dust Bowl in Texas panhandle, Oklahoma, and Colorado. Interesting, but thoroughly depressing. Maybe because the Dust Bowl happened during the Depression. It lives up to its title.

Leanne
09-14-2010, 11:09 AM
I'm currently reading Sizzling Sixteen by Janet Evanovich. Stephanie Plum rocks.

I haven't had a chance to read 15 or 16 yet. I heard people were disappointed with the later books. What do you think, is she doing too many?

Anaiya Sedai
09-14-2010, 04:03 PM
I usually prefer to read one book at a time, although I seem to keep dipping in and out of some that I just can't seem to finish, while reading others.

So, my "dipping" book at the moment is Gardens of the Moon, I think I've been trying to read that for a good two years now, and it's just not happening.
Also, me and a friend are doing a fun little book exchange, she gave me her favourite Jeffrey Deaver books (The Sleeping Doll - not bad, but a little predictable, and Roadside Crosses - unfortunately pretty bad) and I'm working on The Bone COllector at the moment. (in return I gave her my WoT and she is just a ~little~ addicted now. I'm sure she'll actually manage to catch up to us by the time ToM comes out)

Zanguini
09-14-2010, 04:13 PM
I read a book at work and a book at home.
At work it is Potter 1
At home it is Woad to Wuin

Crispin's Crispian
09-14-2010, 04:21 PM
So, my "dipping" book at the moment is Gardens of the Moon, I think I've been trying to read that for a good two years now, and it's just not happening.

I've heard a lot of people say that they just can't get into GotM. I think I know why--Erikson drops you into the world with no orientation, little or no exposition, and a shitload of characters. Sadly, GotM is really hard to leave and come back to because there are so many details.

Also, me and a friend are doing a fun little book exchange, she gave me her favourite Jeffrey Deaver books (The Sleeping Doll - not bad, but a little predictable, and Roadside Crosses - unfortunately pretty bad) and I'm working on The Bone COllector at the moment. Is that the one with the wheelchair-bound genius professor guy and his assistant. I read a pretty good one of those that came free on my PDA. It was based on Louisiana, I think, and there was a shed, and swamp. I think I'm also mixing it up with Mother of Pearl by Melinda Haynes. (Totally different type of book, but similar setting, maybe...)

DahLliA
09-14-2010, 04:30 PM

not really sure why so many people have trouble with GotM, but like I've said before. it's definitely worth getting through it. the rest of the books are just plain awesome

Sarevok
09-14-2010, 04:48 PM
I've heard a lot of people say that they just can't get into GotM. I think I know why--Erikson drops you into the world with no orientation, little or no exposition, and a shitload of characters. Sadly, GotM is really hard to leave and come back to because there are so many details.

Yeah, that's the problem I could imagine in the series. I think when you only read short bits at a time, there's no way you can keep characters and events straight. Even I have problems with that, reading 1 to 2 hours a day.
Possible very minor spoiler:
And he doesn't stop dropping you into things. He keeps at it for several books. :eek:

Gilshalos Sedai
09-14-2010, 04:52 PM
Sookie has excellent nipples...just sayin'. Oh!! You were talking about the books...my bad.

Anna Paquin does NOT look like the Sookie in the books. For one thing, Sookie in the books is 5'9" and a size 10.

Gilshalos Sedai
09-14-2010, 04:53 PM
I haven't had a chance to read 15 or 16 yet. I heard people were disappointed with the later books. What do you think, is she doing too many?

Uh... Morelli and Ranger are in them... so no?

Sei'taer
09-14-2010, 06:42 PM
not really sure why so many people have trouble with GotM, but like I've said before. it's definitely worth getting through it. the rest of the books are just plain awesome

I didn't have a problem at all. I loved all of them.

Dragon Thief
09-14-2010, 06:55 PM
Been Reading:

Night Angels Trilogy by Brent Weeks. I want to read his new one (Black Prism) as well.

Monarchies of God series by Paul Kearney. I need to find book 5 outside of the omnibus though.
Also, The Ten Thousand by Paul Kearney.

Oh, and everone's favorite: PHP and MySQL Web Devlopment, and started another book on Ruby On Rails that I only got about 1/4 the way through.

DahLliA
09-14-2010, 08:54 PM

same. only problem I remember having was with how some books hardly have any known characters in them, but then you start liking/disliking the new ones just as much as the old ones

Firseal
09-14-2010, 09:50 PM
oh right. finished the last published Black Company books a little while ago too. can heartily(is that a word?) recommend them.

one would be more than enough atm. not as fast a reader as I used to be :p

P.C. Hodgell's books I have always recommended, and have just now hit the market in a better than average way. Book five of the Chronicles of the Kencyrath is out, and the first four have been reissued as two omnibuses. Used to be a trial to find them, now most bookstores will have the entire series.

Notably, the cover art is innacturate enough to make the covers of the Wheel of Time seem representitive, but give the books a try regardless. Book 1 is God Stalk, but these days you'll probably find The God Stalker Chronicles (omnibus of books 1 & 2) (note, if searching online, that books 1 & 2 have been in an omnibus twice - the original omnibus, Dark of the Gods, contains an extra short story but, like most of Hodgell's books through most of her published history is difficult to find) easily.

Cary Sedai
09-15-2010, 01:58 AM
I just finished the Dresden Files. I'm ticked and Zan made me promise before I started reading Changes that I would not throw the book at the wall. Totally rude of him!

I loved them all! I want more!

Now, I'm going to read The Way of Kings.

yks 6nnetu hing
09-15-2010, 02:55 AM

well... I did find it quite pretentious when Ericsson compared himself to Eco in the foreword. If anyone of the Fantasy genre compares to Eco in terms of concise complexity, it's GGK. So that kind of put me off to begin with. I dont' find the book hard to read or boring or with too many details or not enough guidelines. It's just a bit underwhelming; and the writing style is all "oh, I'm so awesome, look at how wonderfully I can write" while the writing is really quite standard, at times even sub-par if you're used to (in no particular order) Tolkien, Jordan, Martin, Hobb, GGK et al. *shrug*

Davian93
09-15-2010, 07:29 AM

I've tried to read GotM maybe 3 times now in the last 4 years and I get distracted and forget about it every time. I still own the first 3 books of the series though and will eventually get around to them. Too many books, not enough time.

Sei'taer
09-15-2010, 08:21 AM
I've tried to read GotM maybe 3 times now in the last 4 years and I get distracted and forget about it every time. I still own the first 3 books of the series though and will eventually get around to them. Too many books, not enough time.

Once you get done with book one, book two blows in and you're done with it before you realize it. I've literally been able to read them in hours.

Just wait until Gesler, Stormy and Coltaine get together. It's one of my favorite scenes in all of the books.

DahLliA
09-15-2010, 08:36 AM
It's just a bit underwhelming; and the writing style is all "oh, I'm so awesome, look at how wonderfully I can write" while the writing is really quite standard, at times even sub-par if you're used to (in no particular order) Tolkien, Jordan, Martin, Hobb, GGK et al. *shrug*

gotta say I personally find Erikson better than several of those you mention. then again I've never really noticed the writing style as much as what is written. and Erikson's characters and world pretty much blows anything else away IMO. but taste is a personal thing I guess :p

Notably, the cover art is innacturate enough to make the covers of the Wheel of Time seem representitive, but give the books a try regardless. Book 1 is God Stalk, but these days you'll probably find The God Stalker Chronicles (omnibus of books 1 & 2) (note, if searching online, that books 1 & 2 have been in an omnibus twice - the original omnibus, Dark of the Gods, contains an extra short story but, like most of Hodgell's books through most of her published history is difficult to find) easily.

ordered Godstalker Chronicles now.

btw. anyone here read more than the first couple of books of the Deverry cycle by Catherine Kerr? saw them recommended on Amazon while ordering and I remember reading the first couple of books ages ago. just wondered if the later books are any good

yks 6nnetu hing
09-15-2010, 08:55 AM
gotta say I personally find Erikson better than several of those you mention. then again I've never really noticed the writing style as much as what is written. and Erikson's characters and world pretty much blows anything else away IMO. but taste is a personal thing I guess :p

lol. Well, I'm a bit more than halfway through the first book and while I find the pace good (nice action), it's not as emotionally gripping as Hobb would be, it's not as intense world-building-wise as Jordan or Martin (yet. I can see glimpses of what it could be) and it's not nearly as "epic" as Tolkien although I think that's what he's aiming at most, style-wise, although he's trying to go for a more laconic approach. so far it's not working either which way. It's not laconic and it's not epic, it's just a bit flat.

Gilshalos Sedai
09-15-2010, 05:07 PM
Dahl Said:

btw. anyone here read more than the first couple of books of the Deverry cycle by Catherine Kerr? saw them recommended on Amazon while ordering and I remember reading the first couple of books ages ago. just wondered if the later books are any good

I enjoyed them through the end of the first "knot." I lost track of them after that. Bryan still reads them and enjoys them.

Ishara
09-16-2010, 10:09 AM
I read 1491 by Charles C. Mann, but 1421 may just be next on my list.

How about if I get 1421 and we talk about it in a while. Is it a long read?

I thought not. Took me about 2 weeks, and these days I only read on the commute. It's not written by an academic, so I found that the writing style was a lot less dense than say, Jared Diamond - which, frankly, I appreciated. he makes a lot of ... leaps of faith in his reasoning, and occasionally I'd find myself thing "really?", but overall, very interesting, in my opinion.

Guess I should contribute something...

My step-mom sent Snow in August and The Shack home with us. Probably will be my in-between reads. Don't have a clue what either one is about.

I heard that the Shack is actually quite religious...turned me off.

pops taer
09-16-2010, 10:14 AM
Reading: Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court on my Nook. About to start a re-read on The Chronicles of Amber.

Just finished Elantris, Mistborn trilogy, The Name of the Wind by Rothfuss.

Waiting on ToM..ordered it for delivery and by being a B and N club member get express delivery free and the book at tax and all just a shade over 17 bucks.

lowlandr
09-16-2010, 10:23 AM
finished 'the discovery of heaven' by Harry Mulisch a bit ago, which blew me away... Instantly one of my favorite books, close second to WoT.

currently not really reading (spending some time with World of Warcraft). I'm reading 'The Prodigal Mage' by Karen Miller. Just finished the prologue.

Tonight I'm going to pick up 'the Way of Kings' by Brandon Sanderson.... Seems to be a new author, rarely heard of.. :p

Ofcourse I'm waiting impatiently for 'Towers of Midnight'.

I've tried Erikson a couple of years ago, but got stuck somewhere book 2. Will try it again when I've got some time to spare.

the Deverry cycle is ok, not too special, not too bad either.. what makes her different is the more celtic setting in her books.

looqas
09-17-2010, 03:41 AM
I'm only reading one book at the time and at this exact moment it is "Gideon's Spies: The Secret History of Mossad" by Gordon Thomas. I have to say that it has been very interesting to read about what has been and what is going on in the back ground of recent events, like Diana's death, Clinton's scandals and others like that. A very recommend pick for anyone who is interested in real world workings and deals the governments make away from the public eyes.

Recently I've read Alistair Reynolds scifi series centering on human expansion into space. And read 2 first novels in the Legacy of the Force series (Star Wars stuff).

I'm planning to read the 3rd novel in the Legacy of the Force series which I'm picking up today and then I either put in "Without Warning" by John Birmingham followed by the second book in the same series (Theme is the world and chaos if US is destroyed suddenly)

BUT I'm definitely going to read The Gathering Storm before TofM. So a busy reading schedule awaits...

So... Pretty varied stuff.