View Full Version : Provo, UT - BYU Bookstore - November 2nd @ Midnight

Tamyrlin
09-18-2010, 02:08 PM
Wilkinson Student Center (WSC) / University Hill
Provo, Utah 84602
*With special guest Harriet McDougal

Tamyrlin
09-18-2010, 05:47 PM
Anyone else going to midnight release at BYU?

Terez
09-18-2010, 05:58 PM
I wish I could be there. It sounds fun.

finberg
09-18-2010, 06:46 PM
I'll be at the one in Sacramento that night

Jenn Hama Ndore
09-20-2010, 01:30 PM
I'll be there if I have to crawl. I'm fortunate enough to live in Hyrum UT, which is QUITE close to Provo, so with the recent absence of High School duties this year I will be there or die trying:D

Anyone else going should be able to recognize me easily enough, just look for the adoring fan wearing an Asha'man uniform complete with pins (I wanted to bring my sword, but the BYU bookstore informed me, very politely might I add, that weapons would not be allowed, even un-sharpened replica ones...).

jemron
09-20-2010, 01:33 PM
Will be there. Hopefully they do the same thing with the book numbers that they did for tWoK.

Any chance I can be a "storm leader" like thing?

WinespringBrother
09-20-2010, 01:50 PM
Will be there. Hopefully they do the same thing with the book numbers that they did for tWoK.

Any chance I can be a "storm leader" like thing?

Yeah, they are doing "Tower Guards" this year. Check DM when it is back up.

Jenn Hama Ndore
09-22-2010, 12:46 PM
I'm not sure if this deserves a new topic, so I'll just put it here. I just asked and was answered by the BYU bookstore regarding pre-orders from them, just to be sure I had the proper shipping/pickup option selected. So any one else pre-order from BYU, below is the conversation.

You submitted a question (or request) on September 22, 2010 at 9:13 AM:

Regarding the upcoming midnight release of the Towers of Midnight that will be held at your facility, and as per Mr. Sanderson's request that we pre-order from the store at which we intend to visit the signing for, I have a question on the pre-ordering process. When we attempt to pre-order there is no clear option for pick up at release, so I simply need to know what steps you wish to be taken for that arrangement. The closest I can see for that is the "pick up at service desk", but not being a member or associate of BYU I am unsure if this is what is needed.

With thanks,
[Jenn Hama N'dore]

BYU Bookstore responded on September 22, 2010 at 9:29 AM as follows:

Hi [Jenn Hama N'dore]~

Sorry for the confusion. When ordering online, please select "pick up at the service desk". That is the option that tells the e-commerce fulfillment department that you will be pick up the book in the store. We will have your order available to be picked up at the Midnight release. Thanks! ~Tami Barber

Vicious Circle
10-07-2010, 09:23 PM
I will be attending the midnight release! At least my husband said I could if he comes and we bring our two kids. :D So are you (Jenn Hama N'dore) saying that if we pre-order from BYU they will have our copies there at the signing for us to pick up at midnight? Exellent! Now I just have to book a hotel and figure out what my husband and kids can do while I hang out with a bunch of HCFF!

ShadowbaneX
10-08-2010, 12:08 AM
I will be attending the midnight release! At least my husband said I could if he comes and we bring our two kids. :D So are you (Jenn Hama N'dore) saying that if we pre-order from BYU they will have our copies there at the signing for us to pick up at midnight? Exellent! Now I just have to book a hotel and figure out what my husband and kids can do while I hang out with a bunch of HCFF!
Tam, I think we might have someone here that wants to buy a t-shirt.

Vicious Circle
10-09-2010, 08:30 PM
You betcha!

Kaldric
10-20-2010, 09:00 AM
I'll be there if I have to crawl. I'm fortunate enough to live in Hyrum UT, which is QUITE close to Provo, so with the recent absence of High School duties this year I will be there or die trying:D

Anyone else going should be able to recognize me easily enough, just look for the adoring fan wearing an Asha'man uniform complete with pins (I wanted to bring my sword, but the BYU bookstore informed me, very politely might I add, that weapons would not be allowed, even un-sharpened replica ones...).

I wouldn't consider Hyrum to be QUITE close to Provo, but relative to, say, Virginia, yes, it is (but it's still a 2.5 hour drive). I'm from Logan and I'll be there as well. I'm in the Tower Guard, in fact (:D).

You shouldn't have to crawl to get there. Start early enough and you can just walk. (-:,` But seriously, depending on when you were planning on heading down and back, I have an extra seat in my vehicle. As long as you're not a psycho killer or something (because, really, who needs TWO of those in one car?), I'm sure we can work something out.

drakenwulf
10-21-2010, 12:29 AM
yep, I will be there too. I am quite certain none of you remember me I haven't been active in a few decades.... I am also in the Tower Guard.

Tamyrlin
11-02-2010, 12:35 PM
(Many of Brandon's answers are paraphrased until I can go back and transcribe the chat.)

Matt: Can a someone without the Talent for Dreamwalking or Dreaming, but with access to T'A'R through a Ter'angreal be taught to find dreams?

Brandon: As far as I know, no. That's an 80%.

Brandon: That question they should be asking is could Perrin (be taught to find dreams.)

Matt: Can he?

Brandon: I don't think so

Matt: Well, what he can do is similar to dreaming and dreamwalking.

Brandon: But the wolves don't know about them

Matt: Well...

Brandon: I'm not sure, but that's what I would be asking (paraphrased)

Matt: Can the True Power be used to create a Mask of Mirrors?

Brandon: Yes.

Matt: Do True Power Mask of Mirrors have different attributes than One Power Mask of Mirrors?

Brandon: Everything done with the True Power will be slightly different.

Matt: Can you place a True Power Mask of Mirrors on another person.

Brandon: Yes.

Matt: Would a True Power Mask of Mirrors persist into that person's dreams, how they see themselves.

Brandon: They would see who they saw themselves as (it wouldn't persist).

Matt: Is the Bore larger or smaller than it was at the time of the Sealing?

Brandon: The same size (95% sure)

Matt: So, are the seals, even in their weakened state, the reason the Bore has not grown any larger?

Brandon: As far as I know, yes.

Matt: Can Slayer dreamwalk in TAR or only go there in the flesh?

Brandon: Slayer cannot dreamwalk (100% sure)

Matt: Did Slayers employer in Winters' Heart use the True Power to weave a gateway?

Brandon: RAFO - I need to look it up, but you can tell True Power gateways if you know what to look for, wouldn't you agree Matt?

Matt: Yes.

Fan: Was Narg an especially smart Trolloc?

Brandon: Narg was a smart Trolloc; there are other Trollocs that can speak the human tongue...we are talking the the top one percentile.

Matt: Is there a distance to pain sensitivity with the Warder bond? In essence, would I stil know my Aes Sedai was being tortured or would it just be a dull pain if I was at a great distance?

Brandon: Yes, distance does matter. But no, you would know that she was being tortured, even at a great distance.

Matt: How did the Forsaken in charge of the gholam learn of Herid Fel?

Brandon: RAFO. (Smile)

Matt: What happened to the large packs of Darkhounds that were patrolling Altara back in Crossroads of Twilight?

Brandon: We already know, don't we?

Matt: Honest, can't remember.

Brandon: Well, I know, but I think we do know.

Matt: Did Verin know Fain was a darkfriend, when we first met Verin?

Brandon: Not sure.

Matt: Did Verin ever work with Fain?

Brandon: No. She's been around him, but working with him is something different.

Matt: We are told that the mindtrap is somehow connected to the soul. Is it possible to create ter'angreal that can hold a soul, or be tied to a soul in such a way as to capture it at death?

Brandon: Many things are possible, but are improbable.

Matt: Was such a Ter'angreal created during the Age of Legends?

Brandon: Many things are possible, but are improbable.

Matt: We are told the male Aiel channelers go to the Blight to "to kill the Dark One." And it is said "None survived long enough to face madness." Is this point of view or truth.

Brandon: RAFO. It's not that I don't know, it's that I think in reading the text you can answer that question yourself.

ShadowbaneX
11-03-2010, 10:25 PM
some interesting questions in there Tam. Get the transcript up when you can. Do you just have your stuff, or do you have other people's questions as well?

Tamyrlin
11-03-2010, 10:28 PM
some interesting questions in there Tam. Get the transcript up when you can. Do you just have your stuff, or do you have other people's questions as well?

I will assign names of people that posted them when I transcribe it. For the sake of time, I just put my name and Brandon's as it was all done on the fly.

GonzoTheGreat
11-04-2010, 05:10 AM
Matt: How did the Forsaken in charge of the gholam learn of Herid Fel?

Brandon: RAFO. (Smile)Seems as though the Evil Min theory got a big boost there.

ShadowbaneX
11-04-2010, 03:16 PM
Seems as though the Evil Min theory got a big boost there.
There's a few other things that practically kill it though, those being Weiramon and Anaiyella being one example and the Lord and Lady Torkumen being the others. Rand can sense Darkfriends and it seems that when his mojo gets going his holiness (heh, Masema would be thrilled to have seen that) fries Darkfriends for breakfast. I've got a feeling that if Min were evil, it likely would fry her as well.

Vicious Circle
11-05-2010, 08:23 PM
Guess what I won at the midnight signing? A Theoryland tee-shirt! No kidding!
:D

Tamyrlin
11-05-2010, 09:02 PM
Guess what I won at the midnight signing? A Theoryland tee-shirt! No kidding!
:D

That's awesome. Did we meet? We should have grabbed a picture.

Vicious Circle
11-06-2010, 04:02 AM
That's awesome. Did we meet? We should have grabbed a picture.
I was the woman behind you during Brandon's Q and A that tapped you on the shoulder when everyone was shouting out who they thought killed Asmo and said I agreed with you that Avi did it. Oh yeah, and I was dressed like a Wise One. Only it was too hot in there to keep on my shawl or head scarf. After waiting outside in the cold for so long and then as hot as it was in there, my kids and I caught colds. My kids were the girl dressed as a gai'shain and the boy dressed as a Jawa(I know, wrong universe, but he got so many compliments, we worked really hard making that costume. I guess there were some Star Wars HCFF there as well) Anyway, we all had a blast that night, even though I was one of the last ten or twelve in line to get my books signed so it was 3AM, way passed the kids normal bedtime. My husband and I also brought our 17 yr old friend but you probably didn't see her as she is Far Dareis Mai and so chose to blend into her surroundings with all the other wotmaniacs. We all agreed it was worth the 10 hours both ways car trip to get there and back and hope we can do it again for the last book. I just really wish Harriet could have made it, I have always wanted to meet her.

Tamyrlin
11-06-2010, 04:47 AM
I was the woman behind you during Brandon's Q and A that tapped you on the shoulder when everyone was shouting out who they thought killed Asmo and said I agreed with you that Avi did it. Oh yeah, and I was dressed like a Wise One. Only it was too hot in there to keep on my shawl or head scarf. After waiting outside in the cold for so long and then as hot as it was in there, my kids and I caught colds. My kids were the girl dressed as a gai'shain and the boy dressed as a Jawa(I know, wrong universe, but he got so many compliments, we worked really hard making that costume. I guess there were some Star Wars HCFF there as well) Anyway, we all had a blast that night, even though I was one of the last ten or twelve in line to get my books signed so it was 3AM, way passed the kids normal bedtime. My husband and I also brought our 17 yr old friend but you probably didn't see her as she is Far Dareis Mai and so chose to blend into her surroundings with all the other wotmaniacs. We all agreed it was worth the 10 hours both ways car trip to get there and back and hope we can do it again for the last book. I just really wish Harriet could have made it, I have always wanted to meet her.

I hope I wasn't too short with you. I do remember you tapping my shoulder - that was a very chaotic event and it had been a very long day. And it couldn't have been any hotter. I'm glad you got a t-shirt and that you came.

You should have stopped me - I would have loved to have gotten pictures!

Terez
11-06-2010, 05:03 AM
I cannot help but think you are making obscure jokes to yourself when you say you wish you could have gotten pictures. I'm sure reTaardad is scratching his head.

Tamyrlin
11-06-2010, 05:17 AM
No. No obscure joke. Pictures of Theorylanders at HCFF events.

Vicious Circle
11-06-2010, 05:18 AM
Not at all. I couldn't believe he didn't bring that to a screeching halt sooner. Anyway my people regard pictures as "soul stealing". Just kidding!

Vicious Circle
11-07-2010, 09:37 PM
It seemed to me that several people were taking videos of this event but I haven't seen anything here, Dragonmount or on youtube. Am I just looking in the wrong places? Anybody got a heads up for me?

Terez
11-07-2010, 09:53 PM
There are some in the Dallas Tower Guard report on the DM home page, IIRC.

Vicious Circle
11-07-2010, 11:07 PM
Those are Dallas signing only. Ask Tam, there must have been at least 10 guys video-taping Q&A and reading, but so far only Jemron has any pics.:(