Zaela Sedai
09-18-2010, 03:19 PM
I'm planning on this one...

RDDK
09-19-2010, 02:52 PM
Yup, I hope to be at this one.

Zaela Sedai
09-30-2010, 10:36 PM
If you are look for me in the TL tshirt;)

RDDK
09-30-2010, 10:42 PM
will do.

Zaela Sedai
10-18-2010, 03:52 PM
well, now it'll be the Tower Guard shirt not the TL shirt... YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

kamarile
11-07-2010, 06:58 PM
Posted this in the errata/continuity thread for ToM, but I asked BS about Carlinya's death, specifically whether that was a mistake. I had assumed that it was, because Min's viewing regarding her hasn't, to my knowledge, come to pass. (That viewing being the one of ravens, drawings of them, settling on her shoulders.) According to him, that was NOT a mistake, and that that viewing doesn't necessarily mean what most people take it to mean. He said he would explain later-- not sure if he meant that to be in a later interview, or if it was a RAFO situation. Definitely food for thought.

Terez
11-07-2010, 07:03 PM
Thanks!

RDDK
11-07-2010, 08:44 PM
This was a good time, btw. Lots of interesting people showed up.

Zaela Sedai
11-08-2010, 04:17 PM
Here is the unofficial report from the signing. AKA what I could make of my notes. We will have an official report later with the video and such. I was taking pictures, so I wrote as much as I could when I could. We had a great time,there were a ton of people there (about 200) we only had about 45 min of alone time with Brandon, so I had to share :( But hopefully you guys enjoy some of the info I got!

1) In TGS Brandon did tell us that Rand was mostly his voice and Egwene was RJ, In ToM Mat was RJ and Perrin was more BS. I'm not quite sure what he meant by voice, considering he doesn't usually answer questions like this.

2) Encyclopedia - Harriet is working on this project and it will be out probably about a year after MoL. Harriet said she plans it to be “like the 11th edition of Encyclopedia Britannica” - There is still a chance that the prequels/outriggers would be done, Brandon wants to do them IF Harriet decides to have them written. BS would rather the prequels over the outriggers but TOR would rather the outriggers it seems as of right now, if only one is chosen (which probably would not be the case)

3) Q: Much has been made of Egwene’s thought to tie up Perrin in the midst of a battle that could have brought about his death if he had not been able to stop her. Such apparent negligence is shocking considering her knowledge of how quickly things can happen in T’A’R. Can you Explain Egwene’s thought process? Did she intend to leave Perrin there while she finished the battle?

A: (not verbatim) Egwene thought she was doing the right thing. She was acting as the Amyrlin and trying to make sure that he would be safe and out of the way of danger. She was not going to tie him up and leave him, she would have brought him somewhere safe away from the danger of the fight and left him there until it was over.

Q: (my follow up) Who is stronger in T’A’R?

A: (not verbatim) They are both very strong, but in different ways. Perrin is very strong instinctually. Like the wolves, he makes decisions based on instinct while in T’A’R. Egwene plans out her moves rather than going by feeling as Perrin does. If the two were matched against each other the outcome would entirely be based on what type of encounter it was.

4) Q: When the wolves were on Dragonmount who were they there to “lend strength to” Rand or Perrin?

A: They were there for Rand. They were doing what they thought would help Rand. Keep in mind that they are wolves and are not thinking as men would when it comes to the idea of helping others.

5) Q: Was Demandred or his proxy in this ToM.
A: No he was not, he will be in MoL

6) Q: Was it an Aiel in the Epilogue – A: Rafo

7) Q: Was the channeler at the Portal stone the same “group” as who we saw in the blight.
A: ~smiles~ Rafo

8) Q: Is Nicola really gone for good?
A: Nicola is dead

9) BS would not confirm that we’ve seen the 13/13 turning to the Dark One’s side’

10) Q: Why did Verin trust that Matt would open the letter?
A: Verin was bound to the Dark Oathes and she could not tell ANY of them to open the letters right away because she was not in her last hour. She had thought that out of anyone Matt would NOT listen to her and would open the letter right away. She was not able to give him any indication of what was in the letter or even tell him to open it open it right away.

11) Q: Have we met the “ugly man” (I assume Gaidal this was a question I heard during the signing)
A: yes we have

12) Brandon is trying to convince Harriet to let him do Annotations of the WoT books he co-wrote when the series is over. If he is allowed to do so it will come out in book form.

13) Harriet was asked about religion in the series. Her response was that they are far more aware of the Light and Dark because it is what is around them, more so than it is for us. The Children of the Light are the closest thing to organized religion and it shows you what Robert Jordan feelings were towards organized religion.

14) Harriet was also asked about movies/tv and said that Universal bought the rights for 7 years, and 2 have gone bye, she said “There is a twitch of life, like a frog twitching in your science lab” The most recent information is that they have recently assigned 2 writers to the project.

15) Brandon was asked what moment most shocked him in the notes. He said that Verin showing up in Egwene’s room was definitely what shocked him the most.

ShadowbaneX
11-08-2010, 04:48 PM
Thanks for the info Zae. I wonder where that person got the info about the "Ugly Man" from. I don't remember hearing or seeing anything about that.

Terez
11-08-2010, 05:47 PM
11) Q: Have we met the “ugly man” (I assume Gaidal this was a question I heard during the signing)
UGH. That's all I have to say.

*braces for it*

Davian93
11-08-2010, 08:31 PM
Great report Zae. Props for going all the way to Cambridge for it.

Zaela Sedai
11-09-2010, 09:00 AM
There will be more coming as soon as the official one is up :)

Loreniel
11-09-2010, 08:03 PM
Zaela, I'm sure that Helane has a thorough list of the Q&A. But I think that was spot on from what I can remember as well. Thanks for posting it.

GonzoTheGreat
11-10-2010, 05:11 AM
5) Q: Was Demandred or his proxy in this ToM.
A: No he was not, he will be in MoLThere goes Weirandred. Oh well, I suppose that a moving tree or something can save this idea for a while anyway, so I won't give up on it entirely. :p

Terez
11-12-2010, 02:49 AM
Any word on the Q&A from the table yet? The official Tower Guard report is up.

Zaela Sedai
11-12-2010, 06:59 AM
Huh, I'll have to try and get in touch with her, she just had surgery so I'm sure things are taking a little longer :)

WinespringBrother
11-12-2010, 09:12 AM
Wow, I might have 2 theories at least partially proven from this Q&A. woot!

1) Taim is not Demandred's Proxy (since Taim appeared in the book of course)

2) Gaidal Cain was ripped out of TAR - if Gaidal was seen as an old man and therefore not born in the normal pattern, there is a chance that it was due to Moggy's intervention. Though my theory mentions that he may have been turned into a child first, the theory at least explains his disappearance from Tel'aran'rhiod.

FelixPax
11-12-2010, 06:58 PM

Who might be Birgitte's ugly man, readers have met?

Uno. :eek:

If so, that would be a classic twisting of words for RJ... as Gaidal was Falme as a Hero of the Horn, and Uno was left behind to wait with Loial & Verin, at Falme.

Gaidal spirit cast out into Uno's body, now that would be fitting considering Birgitte herself was cast out into the 'True World' by Moghedien.

Who saved Nynaeve's life in Samara from Moghedien? Likely Uno.
Who saved Elayne & Nynaeve's lives repeatedly? Birgitte.

Uno & Birgitte play a role of protectors, along others.

Who dislikes Galad to a degree in Samara? Nynaeve.
Who dislikes Galad as a half-brother? Elayne.
Who thinks Galad's face is too pretty? Birgitte.
Who has no love lost for Galad (TFoH)? Uno.

Who visited the "Worlds of If" (TGH)? Uno.

Who's army is Birgitte 2nd in command of? Andor's, just behind Elayne.
Who army is Uno 2nd in command of? Tar Valon's, just behind Gareth Bryne.

It's doesn't hurt that Birgitte and Uno, each seem to have an attraction to each other.

Jonai
11-13-2010, 08:11 AM
How are you accounting for them co-existing? I mean, I know you just explained your reasoning, that the Gaidal soul is cast into Uno's body, but what happens to Uno's original soul? Does it just get displaced back into the stream of waiting souls?

I love Uno, but I just don't buy it. I don't think he's ugly enough, and I have it on good authority, that he's a fine papa bear. It's a shame that GC is always a swordsman, because that innkeeper was really ugly.

Chako
01-06-2011, 02:19 PM
Hi guys !

I hope I'm not getting a too old thread up, but I couldn't resist...

It's my first post here, I just discovered this site (which is absolutely awesome, btw) an hour ago, this is the first speculation I've read, and bam ! I've been hit !

so, please forgive me if this is not the appropriate place, and for my poor english.
and without further ado (maybe that's already quite a lot, now that I think of it - well, maybe I should just stop thinking anyway), here it comes...

the secret identity of Gaidal Cain : I believe it's Olver.
- BS said we've met him already, check.
- Birgitte, a short time after being ripped of TAR, says she hadn't seen him for a while there, which would mean he's been reborn, but she doesn't know if she has to look for an infant or a boy with the difference in time passing between TAR and reality. a boy ? check. (and 9-10 years may be a big delay, but I think it's possible)
and he appears in the story a little while after Birgitte joins the girls...
honestly, Olver age is the only thing making me doubt (a little).
- she has always been the younger one and is worried of being too old for him. well, wouldn't Olver like a cougar ? check.
- they already get along pretty good, and a boy raised among soldiers ? it worries Mat, but that would be a good match for Birgitte. and she would be perhaps his only match, to be honest.
- Olver has obviously a special place in the Pattern, he attaches people to him, first Mat, then Elayne, Nynaeve and Birgitte, the red arms... an unusual boy, perhaps for an unusual destiny ?
- who the hell wins at snakes and foxes ?
- last but not least, the boy is ugly as hell. it's frequently mentioned, and that Birgitte likes her men ugly too. coincidence ? I don't think so...

ok, now it seems I may have overreached a tad, but I'm honestly convinced. it's a sum of littles things...
anyway, thanks for reading, it was quite long and quite unclear. *bows*

WinespringBrother
01-06-2011, 02:49 PM
Welcome to TL, Chako. Feel free to say hi to everyone on the new users forum.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but Olver != Gaidal Cain, per Robert Jordan. It's a common mistake tho, and a long held theory by many until it was blown up by the Creator.

Chako
01-06-2011, 03:28 PM
Welcome to TL, Chako. Feel free to say hi to everyone on the new users forum.

Thank you ! I'll go introduce myself, then.
thanks for welcoming me ^^

Sorry to burst your bubble, but Olver != Gaidal Cain, per Robert Jordan. It's a common mistake tho, and a long held theory by many until it was blown up by the Creator.

Aaargh ! I started reading the interviews (that's how I came across this thread), I knew I should have kept reading those before posting here to gloat... T__T
But it made so much sense ! that Creator is evil. I love him.